Thoughts on "Human Weapon" tv show

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For those of you who watched the History Channel's "Human Weapon" tv show, since cancelled, what are your thoughts on it? I thought it was a lot of fun, and was a good way to introduce people to the martial arts. I miss the show, and I never understood the controversy concerning Bill Duff, the co-host. He did not come across to me as disrespectful, although I missed a lot of the early episodes, certainly didn't think he was as bad martial artist as he was portrayed in countless negative posts about him (words such as "awkward", and "there are beginners who are better than Duff" come to mind) He didn't have the skill level of Jason Chambers, the other co-host, but was a former All American wrestler in High School, had a brown belt in Tang Soo Do, was a former professional football player and wrestler, and did very well at times, certainly in the Sambo episode.

I'm saddened the show was cancelled despite high ratings, due to the cost of filming the show around the world, according to the History Channel. If that is so, why not film a more domestic martial arts series? At any rate, what are your thoughts on "Human Weapon"?

Last edited:

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed it! Bill Duff was unintentionally very funny. He had a habit of punching his opponents in the face whenever under pressure regardless of the rule set he was competing! I liked him though. It was easy to watch and I enjoyed the little grey men animating the amount of "force" produced in the techniques!

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed it! Bill Duff was unintentionally very funny. He had a habit of punching his opponents in the face whenever under pressure regardless of the rule set he was competing! I liked him though. It was easy to watch and I enjoyed the little grey men animating the amount of "force" produced in the techniques!

Yeah, I liked the little gray man and the amount of force used in techniques, that was informative.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Human weapon was good, what I personally did not like was they was always fighting BB after a week and you know they could have had some mid belts do that instead.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Human weapon was good, what I personally did not like was they was always fighting BB after a week and you know they could have had some mid belts do that instead.

Yeah, you can't learn hardly anything in a week, but they normally did pretty well against the black belts.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm with Terry, I loved the show, but I didn't like how they fought. I still have a sneaking suspicion that some of those fights were staged. There is no way that they beat some of those guys, plus it was easy to tell that some were holding back considerably.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Terry, I loved the show, but I didn't like how they fought. I still have a sneaking suspicion that some of those fights were staged. There is no way that they beat some of those guys, plus it was easy to tell that some were holding back considerably.

I got that feeling when Jason dispatched the Krav Maga instructors so easily. Still, I liked the show.

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it! I thought it was great to get a glimpse into so many different martial arts and learn more about the ones I really enjoy. Although Bill may not have been the best for the show he certainly made up for it.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed both Human Weapon and Fight Quest. Sadly, not all the episodes are available on iTunes. One of my favorites was the TKD episode where the "home team" fighter challenged both Bill and Jason.

Now, the gimmick was clear- learn as much of the art as possible for the fight- but what I thought was really impractical (as if training one week for a fight wasn't) was that Human Weapon often had them visitng different instructors everyday. Either way, I enjoyed both shows, and was looking forward to other styles being featured.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
on fight quest the one on kajukenbo that was sick how that one dude right roundhouse kicked a kajukenbo black belt in the face and knocked him out %-}

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I am sorry that it was cancelled. I did like the show, and all, no matter how cheesy-lol. What can I say? I watch them all as I'm a MA fan.
icon10.gif

matt_mcg

White Belt
Reaction score
The 'savate' fight definitely wasn't a full-on combat fight in which the savate guy was trying to win.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like Fight Quest a little better, but that is just me. It might be because I could watch it on Discovery and at the time I didn't have History Channel to watch them.

I think if they would have released the shows on DVD instead of charging like $30 bucks an episode, they might have been able to offset some of the travel cost.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, what did I think?

I think fight quest was better

that being said, the guys on fight quest can be annoying.

still, I did love the computer animation of the techniques

I dont think Bill Duff was disrespectfull. Then again, they went to japan to learn Ninjitsu..............well, nothing I can say about that and not violate the MT rules

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen human weapon a few times and came away with mixed feelings. The format was interesting and reasonably entertaining. On the other hand, I didn't feel that it was the best representation of the arts that they were featuring.

Not the format that I would have preferred, but one thing I will say: it encouraged cross-training.

Daniel

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched both shows. I preferred fight quest overall. I thought th ehosts were more earnest and honest in their training. the Human Weapons guys often seemed to be going in there to win a fight. I mean, If I heard Bill Duff say "I'll jsu tuse my size and strength to overpower my opponent" one more time...

Although watching Duff get knicked out cold with that hook kick in the TKD episode brought a littel smile to my face. :)

Both shows had problems with presenting accuracte historical info in their training...some of the fighting was clearly on the fixd at some level (either let the hosts get in a few shots or don't let 'em win through judging...depending on the episode).

They were fun, sad to hear they are no more.

Peace,
Erik

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For those of you who watched the History Channel's "Human Weapon" tv show, since cancelled, what are your thoughts on it? I thought it was a lot of fun, and was a good way to introduce people to the martial arts. I miss the show, and I never understood the controversy concerning Bill Duff, the co-host. He did not come across to me as disrespectful, although I missed a lot of the early episodes, certainly didn't think he was as bad martial artist as he was portrayed in countless negative posts about him (words such as "awkward", and "there are beginners who are better than Duff" come to mind) He didn't have the skill level of Jason Chambers, the other co-host, but was a former All American wrestler in High School, had a brown belt in Tang Soo Do, was a former professional football player and wrestler, and did very well at times, certainly in the Sambo episode.

I'm saddened the show was cancelled despite high ratings, due to the cost of filming the show around the world, according to the History Channel. If that is so, why not film a more domestic martial arts series? At any rate, what are your thoughts on "Human Weapon"?
I thought it was far less entertaining that Fight Quest, on Discovery. Functionally, the same format, but Jason Chambers was a smart alec and Bill Duff was a doofus. It was also less gritty than Fight Quest.

I just saw a new episode of fight quest a few weeks back. Didn't I? Has it been cancelled?

Latest Discussions