Need Proof that Martial Arts Are Hot with Kids

L

Lucy Rhombus

Hello! I haven't posted in a while...I've been studying Okinawa kobujutsu for three years now.

I'm also a professional writer, and I'm working on an article about how to choose the right martial art for your kid. My editor wants me to include some info about how popular martial arts is with kids and how much it's grown. I have a good stat on how many kids take martial arts right now, but my editor also wants me to mention hot new kids' movies, TV shows, popular songs, etc. that include martial arts. I don't see many movies and I don't listen to the radio, so I have no idea whether there are any new martial arts-related movies or songs that appeal to kids.

I also need a stat as to how many kids took martial arts 5 or 10 years ago, to prove that it's becoming more popular.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

LR

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lucy Rhombus said:
Hello! I haven't posted in a while...I've been studying Okinawa kobujutsu for three years now.

I'm also a professional writer, and I'm working on an article about how to choose the right martial art for your kid. My editor wants me to include some info about how popular martial arts is with kids and how much it's grown. I have a good stat on how many kids take martial arts right now, but my editor also wants me to mention hot new kids' movies, TV shows, popular songs, etc. that include martial arts. I don't see many movies and I don't listen to the radio, so I have no idea whether there are any new martial arts-related movies or songs that appeal to kids.

I also need a stat as to how many kids took martial arts 5 or 10 years ago, to prove that it's becoming more popular.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

LR

Hmmmm, Any Power Ranger show or movie in the last few years and the number of verisons of the show, the Double Dragon video games as well as the movies, and the recent video games as well that all have fighting including some that do Eskrima or Capoiera and other arts not heard much of.

I am sure there are more out there.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

With the advent of Modern Video games I would say look at sales of those Games by children. Also you may wish to contact bigger schools that belong to major organizations since they have stats due to fiscal record keeping.

Independent and or smaller schools have less info.

When looking at sales it maybe a little misleading due to Adults buying them for our own ueseage lol.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dragon Ball Z, Power Rangers and almost every movie that has action includes some type of MA. All of Jackie chan movies,kung fu sholin,Yu Yu hasaku, sholin showdown, Jackie chan adventures, as you can see my three wonderful boy's know all of them. Back in the seventies there were more teenagers then actually kids taken MA, the child movement really did not start until the mid 80's when sport MA became the forfront, the 90's brought the upper middle class childern for it was the in thing to do, around 1996 the MA started to go to the inner city youth organization like the Y.M.C.A. and the boys and girl club, around 99 child care center started to bring in young instructors to teach a class 1 or 2 times a week. Now everbody is taking some kind of MA in there lifetime since almost every gym offers some type of kick boxing for cardio workouts. hope this will help. As for figures the Unniversity of Maryland did a study back in 2001 I believe to how many youths have taken MA for the discipline aspect of MA,I will try to get that info to you and PM that when I recieve it. GOD BLESS AMERICA

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The big television nights around our house for the last 8 or 9 years revolved around 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and 'Angel'. As I understand it, none of the actors were martial artists prior to taking up their roles, but the fight scenes were very well choreographed.

Just my little anectodal contribution. Mike

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or Samurai Jack.

There's also some show or cartoon called Rescue Fire Heroes or something like that that my Tiny Tigers (4 year olds) reference endlessly.

Not to mention the Terminator movies, the Matrix trilogy, the two Spiderman movies, Daredevil, all those reruns of Steven Seagal movies.

DragonBall Z, also a hit with the little guys.

As to statistics, the suggestion to contact some of the larger organizations which keep financial records (e.g., Black Belt Schools of America, which is in Florida somewhere) for many different types of martial arts schools.

You'll probably find that martial arts goes in and out of vogue, as has soccer, little league, and all the other things we try to expose our kids to.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a thread somewhere here where people listed lots of shows...try doing a search for it. Here are some we know of. Spongebob does karate with Sandy the karate chopping squirrel - she's the strongest creature in bikini bottom. Spy Kids (movie), Kim Possible, Batman, Superman. Songs "I've got the Power", "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting", "Theme from Mortal Combat".
Good luck what a fun project for you to be involved in!!!!

MJ :)

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

Thanks so much for your quick replies! I just finished writing up the lede, and I mentioned Sandy the squirrel (good one!), Daredevil, the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles videogame, and Spy Kids 3D. I hope the editor likes it. I'll post here when the article is out (it's for USA Weekend, FYI).

Cheers,

LR

OP
O

OC Kid

All the kids know who Jackie Chan is and lets not forget Jet Li. Walker Texas Ranger was hot for a while, The Punisher was a recent movie. Like someone mentioned most of the kids are into martial art type video/computer games just look at the commericals. Oh yea WWE wrestling has its share of martial art techniques being used and the kids love that also.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucy, you probably have plenty of proof in the media from others about kids but I was thinking of what an impact martial arts has had on families. In this day and age, full of drugs, alcohol and truancy, no sport more fulfills the family concept of quality time together. Alot of families have joined martial arts together in a sport such as Taekwondo which supports all the morals we want our kids to have: respect, repetition, patience, discipline, humility, perseverance, courtesy, integrity, indomitable spirit, and self control. We support each other, we develop a sport/martial art which unlike football, basketball, soccer, and most other sports, we can do martial arts as a family and enjoy a lifetime of fitness and wellness. My kids got me into it. I'm almost 2nd dan, at almost age 55 and still sparring those twenty-somethings. TW

OP
J

Jim Perkins

Just goes to show you age is not a factor!

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also goes to show what a determined woman can do! (We Tigers stick together.)

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

Thanks so much! The editor loved my new lede with all the examples you all gave.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't listen to the radio much anymore either and when I do it's usually on a "classic rock" station (60's and 70's). But I doubt that anyone is listening to "Kung Fu Fighting" anymore except those faithful hold outs tucked away in a small closet deep down inside a dark basement and listening to it with headphones plugged into an old (but surprisingly still functional) 8-track tape player.... (and you thought you were the only one... heh heh :D )
But yeah, without quoting any statistics... MA is just as or more in vouge with kids now as compared to then.
The "Spy Kids" movie series have the kids doing MA style fighting and other (kids)films have some MA elements in them as well, depending upon the genre, all except of course for Harry Potter, dunno if Hermionie's punch to Malfoy's face could be considered MA in POA.

Latest Discussions