Karate kid- sweep the leg mentality

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a wild idea - why not teach people how to fall correctly? It's still possible for the swept person to land badly and hurt themselves, but the odds go way down. I've been training for 35 years. Been swept and thrown a lot during that time. Only hurt myself by landing wrong once.

I don't know what the most typical rulesets for Karate competitions are these days, but I know that in the past there have been lots of tournaments which allow sweeps. I haven't heard anything about sweeps being common causes for injury. Perhaps some of the experienced Karate practitioners here can chime in.

Depends on the sweep and whether or not you just hacked the knee or not.

Capoeira has a few.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the sweep and whether or not you just hacked the knee or not.

Capoeira has a few.

And some really awfull tourque the knee jobs.

That one that did not really come off but the foot was dragged forwards. Pretty much makes you fall into the splits. which if you are built like me means you are going to have a bad day.

Otherwise this one at pace makes you fall pretty badly.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The third one, the Muay Thai leg Catch and Sweep Combination,

Some of us throw the leg hoping it's caught just like that. It was a speciality of mine, a pet technique if you will. You spin, kicking the head or wrapping the neck (behind your knee, taking them down) I threw it hundreds of times, in the dojo and in many competitions, rarely missed. The best counter to it - let go of the leg. They'll spin to the ground in a crash.

I rarely kick any more. But can still do that one quite easily.

And it's really easy to teach, in slow motion, actually. Just need a spot man.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
84 year old dude - "sweeps the leg" in Chile. Just awesome.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The third one, the Muay Thai leg Catch and Sweep Combination,

Some of us throw the leg hoping it's caught just like that. It was a speciality of mine, a pet technique if you will. You spin, kicking the head or wrapping the neck (behind your knee, taking them down) I threw it hundreds of times, in the dojo and in many competitions, rarely missed. The best counter to it - let go of the leg. They'll spin to the ground in a crash.

I rarely kick any more. But can still do that one quite easily.

And it's really easy to teach, in slow motion, actually. Just need a spot man.
I think I know one of the moves you're referring to, Buka. Any chance you can spot a couple of videos?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I know one of the moves you're referring to, Buka. Any chance you can spot a couple of videos?

Single leg flip i think.

You know how I bang on about a mental script? I would never have believed that would work without seeing it.

And I am still not game to try it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single leg flip i think.

You know how I bang on about a mental script? I would never have believed that would work without seeing it.

And I am still not game to try it.
Not exactly what I was picturing, but close. And I'm also not game to try it. I probably would have at 30, though. I was like that - always wanted to try out the new techniques, and a little too unafraid of the risk sometimes.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The single leg flip is related to it, yes. But the escape wouldn't be the primary, - striking with the flipping leg, foot or knee would. I've done so successfully many times, but prefer to go backwards (spin kick) I find backwards far easier to control the actual strike (damage to your opponent wise) and that backwards works better with breakfall - forwards you sometimes tend to post out with your arms. That might be okay when you're used to it, but teaching it or first learning it is riskier to the person doing the move.

Gpseymour, I'll go into detail later about how to learn and train this, what the options are (several) the mechanics - and how to teach it in slow motion (pretty cool, works well, and really, really easy)
I have to go make chicken and dumplings now. I love me some chicken and dumplings.:)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The single leg flip is related to it, yes. But the escape wouldn't be the primary, - striking with the flipping leg, foot or knee would. I've done so successfully many times, but prefer to go backwards (spin kick) I find backwards far easier to control the actual strike (damage to your opponent wise) and that backwards works better with breakfall - forwards you sometimes tend to post out with your arms. That might be okay when you're used to it, but teaching it or first learning it is riskier to the person doing the move.

Gpseymour, I'll go into detail later about how to learn and train this, what the options are (several) the mechanics - and how to teach it in slow motion (pretty cool, works well, and really, really easy)
I have to go make chicken and dumplings now. I love me some chicken and dumplings.:)
I appreciate the offer, Buka. I'll take you up on it only because I can't trade it for some chicken'n dumplin's.