New belt for Second Dan?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regarding the comment about a lack of stripes making it confusing at line up time, I suspect that the yudanja at any school know who is what rank and line up accordingly. Yudanja are generally mature enough to do this with or without stripes. Colored belts will line up according to color.

None of my teachers ever had stripes on their belts and we had no problems lining up. I also think putting stripes on one's belt takes away the opportunity to work on our noonchi, our perception abilities.

However, more and more I do see schools adopting some sort of stripe or recognition system for dan holders. Some use stripes, others use different color thread for different dan ranks, and others use a combination of the two. I asked one of my commercial instructor friends why he chose to do that, and he said distinguishing between the dan ranks gave people more incentive to stay longer/pay more money. It was basically a marketing thing for him, a customer driven innovation, because his students like it, even though he didn't particularly care for it. But you have to do what you have to do when running a commercial school.

Of course, he explained it differently to the students, but that was his real reason for adopting that stripe system. He got the idea from a martial arts business seminar that he attended, the principle being that people will do all sorts of crazy things and pay big money for visible trinkets that make them feel special.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
@Terry - you expressed an opinion. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that - you've apologized already. Stop feeling bad about it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
@Terry - you expressed an opinion. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that - you've apologized already. Stop feeling bad about it.
Thanks Shesulsa and I appreciate it, I am trying to be a better person this year for my son's. You know be the bigger person and apologies and stuff. :asian:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
.............. I'm thinking of asking my Sabonim if I can do as he has done and add bars to my original belt.

What are your thoughts on either approach?

To the original poster.

Did you ask?

What was the answer?

That is the only anwer that matters.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for the record and in my humble opinion if I were runing a dojang/dojo and I was the owner or the master or the sambonim/sensei I would use the plain vanilla black belt, I eman no strips, no bars and no embroided. Just a white gi or dobok with a black belt.

What I really use as the semsei/sambonim will be a white open top gi with the black lapel and black pants because I like the combo and to make clear who is the sensei amoung the black belt students who must wear white dobok all (studentes) with the v colar the same collor of the belt or a white gi.

Offcourse just one patch (teh dojang patch) in the left side of the uniform.

I am a litte square about uniforms (doboks or gis).

Manny

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I really use as the semsei/sambonim will be a white open top gi with the black lapel and black pants because I like the combo and to make clear who is the sensei amoung the black belt students who must wear white dobok all (studentes) with the v colar the same collor of the belt or a white gi.

So you don't agree with rank bars on belts, but you want a different uniform to mark you out as special among the black belts? Sounds a bit hypocritical... All black belts are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Why not make everyone (you included) wear all white, students will know who is the instructor because you're the one teaching them?

Personally I'm OK with dan bars (I have them as do all bar one of our black belts) but it seems weird to say you're against them and then still want some differentiator.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps a plain black belt keeps one humble. Perhaps decorations on it should be worn with pride.

Some people wear pink uniforms and cammo belts.

What is with the judgementalism on belt stripes? Why do you care???

On flags: we used to have those on the uniform as well until we found out you're not supposed to wear the American flag on a uniform. So we took them both off. Flags are for the wall.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
On flags: we used to have those on the uniform as well until we found out you're not supposed to wear the American flag on a uniform. So we took them both off. Flags are for the wall.

How come you aren't supposed to wear the American flag on your uniform? I know American soldiers wear the American flag on their uniform. Also I know many national teams wear their flag on their left breast area.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How come you aren't supposed to wear the American flag on your uniform? I know American soldiers wear the American flag on their uniform. Also I know many national teams wear their flag on their left breast area.

Excuse me - I should have been clearer - it is not to be worn on an athletic uniform or costume. It's part of the flag code.

Wiki on the flag code.

The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

You can find the same info on the American Legion website and other places where flag etiquette is discussed.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally are not fond of Belts with stripes, or even embroided text. I have a simple plain black belt (first dan). In my personal opinion, I believe a new belt should be issued, but that's not always the case in individual systems, instructors, or federations...

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score

From my understanding you can wear the American Flag on your uniform as long as it's on the right arm an inch from the shoulder line, and with the opposite (Martial Art system-nationality flag) on your left arm. Has that changed?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From my understanding you can wear the American Flag on your uniform as long as it's on the right arm an inch from the shoulder line, and with the opposite (Martial Art system-nationality flag) on your left arm. Has that changed?

The American flag code says you are not to wear one on an athletic uniform.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Well if that's the case then I've seen pleanty of Athletic uniforms with the American Flag on it!

Also bare in mind that not all Martial Arts are Sports, so therefore wearing the American Flag on the uniform is a symbol of Patriotism, and honor as an American.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well if that's the case then I've seen pleanty of Athletic uniforms with the American Flag on it!
Plenty of people disregard a variety of traffic laws on a regular basis as well. Given that most are ignorant of this aspect of the flag code (I was until Shesulsa's post), it is not surprising.

Also bare in mind that not all Martial Arts are Sports, so therefore wearing the American Flag on the uniform is a symbol of Patriotism, and honor as an American.
Given that the word sports essentially means pastime, yes, they are pretty much all sports unless you are practicing them in the context of military service.

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport:
sport (spôrt, sp
omacr.gif
rt)
n. 1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

Martial arts, even those without a competitive element, adhere to all of the above.

Daniel

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh my great goodness, it also advocates flag burning!!!!

When a flag is so tattered that it can no longer serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning.

Seriously, that's why you don't wear a flag on your sleeve? A law that the supreme court has ruled would be a 1st amendment breach to uphold.

I know you USers are very protective of your flag, but seriously, that's just patriotic pride having your flag on your uniform...

Latest Discussions