My point about going a mile distance

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will happily stay in the penalty loop as long as these guys are there...not that they are often but I'll happily wait till they are. ;)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Tez don`t you dare wear out our boys before the season is over, they still have gold medals to win for mother Norway!
angry-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our ice hockey players on the other hand are stuck in the penalty box all the time so just help yourself...

sorvikkk.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd love to see you in one of our classes. You might just get a rude shock. :D You are talking about sport and in that situation, I agree. I know a number of 60+ people you wouldn't want to tangle with.
You can't tell the quality of a martial artist by his fitness. That is plain ridiculous. How about a world class gymnast who has been training a martial art for three months? He's very fit but he barely knows the basics of the art.

I'm not lowering the bar at all. In real defensive terms, most fights don't last long and even trained people going flat out don't last long. In a sport situation, fighters pace themselves. You can't do that on the street.

But I'm not advocating you don't keep reasonably fit. Obviously that is what we all want to do, but as you get older you change your approach to training and fighting, and if you stick around for long enough you might understand what I mean.

you just lowered the bar again. Most fights are short so you don't have to be fit. Fair enough. But you are training for a short fight.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is, martial arts itself will get you in good shape. One of the reasons some people take up martial arts is to get in good shape. It is not uncommon for a person following a martial arts workout to be drenched with sweat. Doing techniques and combinations over and over again it is going to wear you out but build you up. So, for a person to get good at the martial arts, in the course of getting good they will get in good shape.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is, martial arts itself will get you in good shape. One of the reasons some people take up martial arts is to get in good shape. It is not uncommon for a person following a martial arts workout to be drenched with sweat. Doing techniques and combinations over and over again it is going to wear you out but build you up. So, for a person to get good at the martial arts, in the course of getting good they will get in good shape.

That is down to the individual. Most classes I have attended, the cardio bit if you will, was down to the student.

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
You kind of need to broaden your perception of martial arts. In my opinion. You have to consider psychological aspects as well. Psychological warfare is a powerful and important aspect of martial arts. It has to be considered. It doesn't necessarily require physical fitness, although that might help, but can in some cases be even more effective than the physical side of things. I haven't been in a physical fight in more than a decade, and I'm proud of that. I have ended or averted quite a few before they got to that point, though, and I'm proud of that. I'm also still alive, and not in prison. Doesn't mean I can't fight. Doesn't mean that I don't want to. I love to fight. There is no time that I feel more alive than when I'm fighting for my life and seriously trying to end someone else's. I've been fighting for my life since before I was in grade school. You don't even want to know. Doesn't mean I'm going to win all of them. There is always someone out there bigger, badder, faster, meaner, whatever. I can fight like a demon. I'm not terribly fit right now, but I'll give anybody that comes along one hell of a workout before I go down. But it usually doesn't come to that, and if it can be avoided it's even better. That is (in my opinion) the real purpose of studying martial arts, learning how to win without ever coming to blows.

"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you just lowered the bar again. Most fights are short so you don't have to be fit. Fair enough. But you are training for a short fight.
You have a very simplistic attitude. I'm not training for any fight. If I was training for a serious fight I would train accordingly and I would taper and do all those things. My last tournament was when I was 58 and I got through to the second round. I was reasonably fit but I hadn't trained specifically for that tournament. These days I'll leave the sport stuff to guys like you. In the unlikely event I ever need to use my skills someone will probably get a nasty surprise. They won't be expecting to be fighting an old guy and I won't be fighting tournament style.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You kind of need to broaden your perception of martial arts. In my opinion. You have to consider psychological aspects as well. Psychological warfare is a powerful and important aspect of martial arts. It has to be considered. It doesn't necessarily require physical fitness, although that might help, but can in some cases be even more effective than the physical side of things. I haven't been in a physical fight in more than a decade, and I'm proud of that. I have ended or averted quite a few before they got to that point, though, and I'm proud of that. I'm also still alive, and not in prison. Doesn't mean I can't fight. Doesn't mean that I don't want to. I love to fight. There is no time that I feel more alive than when I'm fighting for my life and seriously trying to end someone else's. I've been fighting for my life since before I was in grade school. You don't even want to know. Doesn't mean I'm going to win all of them. There is always someone out there bigger, badder, faster, meaner, whatever. I can fight like a demon. I'm not terribly fit right now, but I'll give anybody that comes along one hell of a workout before I go down. But it usually doesn't come to that, and if it can be avoided it's even better. That is (in my opinion) the real purpose of studying martial arts, learning how to win without ever coming to blows.

"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

I completely agree with that fella :) Very good reply, thankyou.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is down to the individual. Most classes I have attended, the cardio bit if you will, was down to the student.
Even as a white belt when I was 12, by the time training ended I had really worked up a sweat. Just from doing the drills.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is (in my opinion) the real purpose of studying martial arts, learning how to win without ever coming to blows.

I agree. I would say its best to have it so that nobody will bother you, so you won't have to fight.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's some interesting ideas here, which might benefit from highlighting and expanding...

Well you also have to train smart. You don't want to try running a 100 yard dash before you're ready otherwise you'll just hurt yourself. But, you still have to do the work to build up your strength, skill, and speed to be able to do the 100 yard dash and if you train hard, within reason, you will be able to do it faster.

Okay, cool… here's where your analogy falls apart. You've been using the end result (running a mile, or a 100 yard dash) as an analogy for attaining a goal in martial arts (a black belt). Thing is, completing or competing in a race isn't the same as attaining a developed skill… in those cases, it's a one-off event. Unless you're considering attaining a black belt as a one-off (you do the test one day, and if you want to be a black belt another day, you have to do the test again… and again… and again…), it's really nothing alike.

Where it can be similar is in the training. Running the race isn't the similarity… it's training to be able to run the race. To take it back to your "mile" idea, if the goal (developed skill) was to run the mile in less than 10 minutes, then the development isn't to run it once, it's to train so that you can do that consistently… then, of course, you continue to train to be able to run it in 9 minutes… until you can do that consistently… then 8 minutes… and so on. You could take each minute as a new development (rank) if you want… but the important thing is that it's the training to be able to run, not the running itself.

Martial arts requires you to be in good shape, if you don't like walking to your mailbox you need to get in better shape.

Some will require it (particularly sporting systems), some will encourage it, some won't pay it too much attention at all… it depends on the art… as well as exactly how you're defining "good shape". The form of fitness and strength required for Kyudo is different to that required for Iaido… which is wildly different than for Judo… which is different again to MMA.

Any good instructor will tell you that in order for martial arts to be effective you have to be in good shape, technique alone will not make you effective.

Uh, nope. You're painting too thin a line with too broad a brush.

It's safer to say that any good instructor will tell you what is best suited for development in their art… which might have a fitness component, a fitness emphasis, or not have any real mention of fitness at all… then, of course, you have to understand what "fitness", or "good shape" is relative to the system itself. To take it to an extreme, I don't need the same flexibility in my legs for Kyudo than I did when I did TKD… and I use different muscle groups in my arms and shoulders for Iai than I do for Kyudo…

If you really believe that than I am starting to doubt if you have much of any experience in the martial arts.

I'd be a little careful stating such things… especially when Ballen was much more on the ball than you were.

That depends. I know this guy who had grandparents who worked on a farm and in their 80s they were in better shape than lots of people are in their 40s. Much of that was because they were doing lots of manual labor which you do if you you do farm work. A couple of years ago there was a 46 year old man who got first place in some kind of ultra running competition, beating out all these people in their teens and twenties. Much of it has to do with exercising and keeping in good shape. Dying is inevitable we all die sometime or another, but you can be fit and take it to the grave if you work at it.

Yep, lifestyle and conditioning can be a big part of what constitutes "good shape"… and I get what you're saying here… but again, I'd point out that "good shape" can be highly dependant on a range of other factors, including what you're in good shape for.

Now, being a good fighter is not simply a contest of whose the most fit. Technique also plays a role. I know a case of a man in his 60s who was attacked by three troublemakers in their late teens or early twenties. He took down two of them, the third one outran him. A less fit person can beat a more fit person with superior technique, skill, and strategy. You still do need to be in relatively good shape though, you can have good technique but you need gunpowder behind the technique to give it power, that's where being in good shape comes in.

Actually, no, not really. Some of the best "fighters" (bar-room brawlers) are what might be considered in rather bad shape… overweight, beer-conditioned bellies, no real cardio to speak of… but they know how to hit very, very hard. Typically with only one or two "techniques"… but that's really all they need. The fights don't last long enough to really require being in "good shape".

If any instructor of the martial arts said that you don't have to be in good shape to be effective in the martial arts, that technique alone would do it, I would not train under such an instructor.

You're taking too black and white a position here… for one thing, I don't anyone who would argue against physical fitness and health having benefits, particularly not to the point of saying "you don't have to be fit, you just need good technique".

Realistically, the argument is that competition-level fitness isn't necessarily required for a number of martial arts… you don't have to be an absolute gym-rat in order to gain effective skill. As I tell my guys, if strength and fitness were the big deciding factors in what we did, we'd spend half the session doing weights, and the other half doing cardio… and maybe look at some technique for a few minutes. Of course, that's not what we do… we spend a short amount of time in preparatory stretches, but that's about it… the rest of the time is focused on learning the art… which is technical execution… aiming to minimise the strength needed.

It can be a misconception among non martial artists that all you need is technique and you don't have to be in good shape, but anybody who has decent experience in the martial arts, certainly somebody who is experienced enough to teach should know that you have to be in good shape too.

Hmm, anybody who has decent experience? Where does my three decades sit there? How about the range of systems I've trained in or been exposed to? Is that decent enough?

My point is that what you're talking about here is not the reality. I encourage my guys to be invested in their own fitness… I have my own schedules of workouts and strength training that I go through, on top of my training of the techniques… and sure, I sometimes take my guys through a workout that taxes them, and has them question just how "fit" they are… but little of that is to do with the actual martial arts side of things. And, of course, once again, "good shape" is highly relative…

Thats why martial arts classes usually involve calisthenics. An instructor who says otherwise I would not trust.

Hmm… not really a feature of any of my sessions…. which, again, is just another way of saying that whether or not you trust it, it's the reality.

If being in good shape wasn't necessary for being effective in the martial arts than why was Royce Gracie doing all these weightlifting exercises when he was preparing for a fight? Years back Royce wrote a magazine article talking about all the exercises he would do at the gym with weights in preparation for a fight.

As others have said, because he was preparing for a fight… against trained, skilled, fit competitors... which is not the reality (especially not at an elite level) for many martial artists.

Well obviously you do need more than strength. You also need skill and technique.

Close. You need skill and technique above strength.

The very idea behind some martial arts is to be able to defeat a larger, stronger opponent.

Yes… but, and here's the bit that'll get you, technique, strength, and fitness are only parts of the story… and honestly, the less important parts…

But even arts such as Aikido require you to do techniques over and over again in training which does require endurance.

It can do… but that's not the point of that training… as well as it only really coming up if you train the methods in a particular way. In some Japanese arts, there is the concept of hyaku training (training a single movement or technique for 100 repetitions). And yeah, that can certainly require some endurance/cardio (but not necessarily the same as that needed to make it through 3 x 5 minute rounds in an MMA contest), that's not really what it's about (physically). Additionally, the repetition might be 5 times a day, for 10 years… you don't need much fitness or endurance to do that.

And while not all martial arts might require much brute strength, the kind of strength for lifting lots of weight or for outstrengthening somebody, they do require the kind of strength that somebody in ballet or gymnastics needs to be able to move their body the way they do.

Yep, this is where we're getting into different forms of "fitness"… of course, the gymnast's form of fitness isn't going to be universally required either…

A street confrontation or self defense situation can happen at any time. Its not like sport fighting where the events are planned out in advance and you know when you will go in to compete.

Okay, let's get into this… earlier you asked why Royce Gracie was weight training prior to his fights (specifically for the first UFC events, which were multiple fights on a single night), to which people pointed out that he was training for that (sport event) fight… now here, you're acknowledging the differences between such contexts and situations… however, I feel that you're still missing a couple of aspects here.

First off, let's look at why the preparation for each is different… starting with the sports event. As you noted, you get a fair amount of advance notice of an upcoming fight (in most cases). That allows you to do something that self defence training doesn't… give you specific preparation. You can focus your training specifically towards the upcoming event… training for a specific (known) opponent, at a specific (known) time, in a specific (known) place, with a specific (known) set of circumstances and rules, dealing with a specific (known) set of physical skills and tactics, and so on.

In this situation, it really is to your advantage to train specifically in any form that will give you an advantage… which includes training up to the event to ensure you will be in peak condition when it occurs (fitness, cardio, strength, health etc).

When a real fight happens and you have to defend yourself usually there is no planning and there is no notice beforehand so to be prepared I would say its best to anticipate the possibility of a fight at any time.

Okay, so we looked at what is an average preparation for a sporting event, a known activity against a known opponent etc… however, as you point out here, that's not what we're dealing with when looking at self defence training methods. So let's look at that…

A real encounter/fight/defensive situation has little to no lead up time… there isn't any opportunity to go through any specific preparation, so your preparation needs to be far more general. You can't train for specific attacks or tactics, as there are a huge range of possibilities. Additionally, the type of training for a sporting event, aiming at a peak level, simply doesn't work for a constant level… your body can't sustain such a peak. That's why matches are months apart for professional fighters… you need recovery time.

Being prepared is one thing… operating at a sports-fight readiness at all times is a one-way track to a an early heart attack through stress (mental and physical)… additionally, you simply can't be prepared for every possibility at all times… and being prepared for one particular response means that you'll miss everything else, or react completely inappropriately to other situations.

If you know about the Cooper Color Codes stay in the yellow. And that includes keeping yourself in decent enough shape in case you do have a confrontation. Be prepared, that's the scout motto.

Well, we've covered (and re-covered) that martial arts aren't the Scouts… but no, staying in the yellow doesn't mean that you need to be constantly "fight ready"… it is simply "relaxed awareness"… that can change depending on where you are (a dark alley versus at the office at work). And, again, in a self defence context, being in yellow doesn't mean that you need to spend each day focused on fighting fitness… but it does mean that you need to be aware enough to be able to react, should you need to.

Zero strength? If you used absolutely zero strength you wouldn't even be moving. To move at least requires some strength. Maybe not as much as a seasoned gymnast but it does require some strength.

Kinda… it requires enough to maintain tension… and some do require more strength than that… but that's not really what K-man was saying, of course…

The thing is, martial arts itself will get you in good shape.

Maybe, but not necessarily.

One of the reasons some people take up martial arts is to get in good shape.

For some, sure… but not for all.

It is not uncommon for a person following a martial arts workout to be drenched with sweat.

Depends on the art, the person, and the class…

Doing techniques and combinations over and over again it is going to wear you out but build you up. So, for a person to get good at the martial arts, in the course of getting good they will get in good shape.

Not necessarily… again, it depends on the art, the person, the class, and so on… none of this is definite, or accurate across the board.

Even as a white belt when I was 12, by the time training ended I had really worked up a sweat. Just from doing the drills.

Well done. Of course, that might just mean you weren't particularly fit at the time…

I agree. I would say its best to have it so that nobody will bother you, so you won't have to fight.

And how is that achieved with fitness?

but you are just lowering the bar there and that is not really the point. Yes you can do martial arts and not be fit. But if you want to go up against a world class athlete you should be.

No, there's no "lowering of the bar" there… and who on earth says we're going up against "world class athletes"? Or even want to? That is so far from the application of my training that you might as well talk about what I'd need to consider to apply it on Mars…

being fit will make you a better martial artist.

Again, fitness is relative… and yeah, it can help… but you can be fit and not have it help your martial arts, or you can be a much better martial artist without any real emphasis on fitness…

so you can judge the quality of a martial artist by his fitness.

No, you really can't.

And in real defensive terms you do not want to gas out before you fight is over.

That's a sports mentality… I mean, I agree in principle, but there are a number of ways of achieving that…

Tactically, absolutely I am. If you're interested in what I mean by that, check out Geoff Thompson's 3 Second Fighter…

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's some interesting ideas here, which might benefit from highlighting and expanding...

Okay, cool… here's where your analogy falls apart. You've been using the end result (running a mile, or a 100 yard dash) as an analogy for attaining a goal in martial arts (a black belt). Thing is, completing or competing in a race isn't the same as attaining a developed skill… in those cases, it's a one-off event. Unless you're considering attaining a black belt as a one-off (you do the test one day, and if you want to be a black belt another day, you have to do the test again… and again… and again…), it's really nothing alike.

Where it can be similar is in the training. Running the race isn't the similarity… it's training to be able to run the race. To take it back to your "mile" idea, if the goal (developed skill) was to run the mile in less than 10 minutes, then the development isn't to run it once, it's to train so that you can do that consistently… then, of course, you continue to train to be able to run it in 9 minutes… until you can do that consistently… then 8 minutes… and so on. You could take each minute as a new development (rank) if you want… but the important thing is that it's the training to be able to run, not the running itself.

Some will require it (particularly sporting systems), some will encourage it, some won't pay it too much attention at all… it depends on the art… as well as exactly how you're defining "good shape". The form of fitness and strength required for Kyudo is different to that required for Iaido… which is wildly different than for Judo… which is different again to MMA.

Uh, nope. You're painting too thin a line with too broad a brush.

It's safer to say that any good instructor will tell you what is best suited for development in their art… which might have a fitness component, a fitness emphasis, or not have any real mention of fitness at all… then, of course, you have to understand what "fitness", or "good shape" is relative to the system itself. To take it to an extreme, I don't need the same flexibility in my legs for Kyudo than I did when I did TKD… and I use different muscle groups in my arms and shoulders for Iai than I do for Kyudo…

I'd be a little careful stating such things… especially when Ballen was much more on the ball than you were.

Yep, lifestyle and conditioning can be a big part of what constitutes "good shape"… and I get what you're saying here… but again, I'd point out that "good shape" can be highly dependant on a range of other factors, including what you're in good shape for.

Actually, no, not really. Some of the best "fighters" (bar-room brawlers) are what might be considered in rather bad shape… overweight, beer-conditioned bellies, no real cardio to speak of… but they know how to hit very, very hard. Typically with only one or two "techniques"… but that's really all they need. The fights don't last long enough to really require being in "good shape".

You're taking too black and white a position here… for one thing, I don't anyone who would argue against physical fitness and health having benefits, particularly not to the point of saying "you don't have to be fit, you just need good technique".

Realistically, the argument is that competition-level fitness isn't necessarily required for a number of martial arts… you don't have to be an absolute gym-rat in order to gain effective skill. As I tell my guys, if strength and fitness were the big deciding factors in what we did, we'd spend half the session doing weights, and the other half doing cardio… and maybe look at some technique for a few minutes. Of course, that's not what we do… we spend a short amount of time in preparatory stretches, but that's about it… the rest of the time is focused on learning the art… which is technical execution… aiming to minimise the strength needed.

Hmm, anybody who has decent experience? Where does my three decades sit there? How about the range of systems I've trained in or been exposed to? Is that decent enough?

My point is that what you're talking about here is not the reality. I encourage my guys to be invested in their own fitness… I have my own schedules of workouts and strength training that I go through, on top of my training of the techniques… and sure, I sometimes take my guys through a workout that taxes them, and has them question just how "fit" they are… but little of that is to do with the actual martial arts side of things. And, of course, once again, "good shape" is highly relative…

Hmm… not really a feature of any of my sessions…. which, again, is just another way of saying that whether or not you trust it, it's the reality.

As others have said, because he was preparing for a fight… against trained, skilled, fit competitors... which is not the reality (especially not at an elite level) for many martial artists.

Close. You need skill and technique above strength.

Yes… but, and here's the bit that'll get you, technique, strength, and fitness are only parts of the story… and honestly, the less important parts…

It can do… but that's not the point of that training… as well as it only really coming up if you train the methods in a particular way. In some Japanese arts, there is the concept of hyaku training (training a single movement or technique for 100 repetitions). And yeah, that can certainly require some endurance/cardio (but not necessarily the same as that needed to make it through 3 x 5 minute rounds in an MMA contest), that's not really what it's about (physically). Additionally, the repetition might be 5 times a day, for 10 years… you don't need much fitness or endurance to do that.

Yep, this is where we're getting into different forms of "fitness"… of course, the gymnast's form of fitness isn't going to be universally required either…

Okay, let's get into this… earlier you asked why Royce Gracie was weight training prior to his fights (specifically for the first UFC events, which were multiple fights on a single night), to which people pointed out that he was training for that (sport event) fight… now here, you're acknowledging the differences between such contexts and situations… however, I feel that you're still missing a couple of aspects here.

First off, let's look at why the preparation for each is different… starting with the sports event. As you noted, you get a fair amount of advance notice of an upcoming fight (in most cases). That allows you to do something that self defence training doesn't… give you specific preparation. You can focus your training specifically towards the upcoming event… training for a specific (known) opponent, at a specific (known) time, in a specific (known) place, with a specific (known) set of circumstances and rules, dealing with a specific (known) set of physical skills and tactics, and so on.

In this situation, it really is to your advantage to train specifically in any form that will give you an advantage… which includes training up to the event to ensure you will be in peak condition when it occurs (fitness, cardio, strength, health etc).

Okay, so we looked at what is an average preparation for a sporting event, a known activity against a known opponent etc… however, as you point out here, that's not what we're dealing with when looking at self defence training methods. So let's look at that…

A real encounter/fight/defensive situation has little to no lead up time… there isn't any opportunity to go through any specific preparation, so your preparation needs to be far more general. You can't train for specific attacks or tactics, as there are a huge range of possibilities. Additionally, the type of training for a sporting event, aiming at a peak level, simply doesn't work for a constant level… your body can't sustain such a peak. That's why matches are months apart for professional fighters… you need recovery time.

Being prepared is one thing… operating at a sports-fight readiness at all times is a one-way track to a an early heart attack through stress (mental and physical)… additionally, you simply can't be prepared for every possibility at all times… and being prepared for one particular response means that you'll miss everything else, or react completely inappropriately to other situations.

Well, we've covered (and re-covered) that martial arts aren't the Scouts… but no, staying in the yellow doesn't mean that you need to be constantly "fight ready"… it is simply "relaxed awareness"… that can change depending on where you are (a dark alley versus at the office at work). And, again, in a self defence context, being in yellow doesn't mean that you need to spend each day focused on fighting fitness… but it does mean that you need to be aware enough to be able to react, should you need to.

Kinda… it requires enough to maintain tension… and some do require more strength than that… but that's not really what K-man was saying, of course…

Maybe, but not necessarily.

For some, sure… but not for all.

Depends on the art, the person, and the class…

Not necessarily… again, it depends on the art, the person, the class, and so on… none of this is definite, or accurate across the board.

Well done. Of course, that might just mean you weren't particularly fit at the time…

And how is that achieved with fitness?

No, there's no "lowering of the bar" there… and who on earth says we're going up against "world class athletes"? Or even want to? That is so far from the application of my training that you might as well talk about what I'd need to consider to apply it on Mars…

Again, fitness is relative… and yeah, it can help… but you can be fit and not have it help your martial arts, or you can be a much better martial artist without any real emphasis on fitness…

No, you really can't.

That's a sports mentality… I mean, I agree in principle, but there are a number of ways of achieving that…

Tactically, absolutely I am. If you're interested in what I mean by that, check out Geoff Thompson's 3 Second Fighter…

ok so training for a three second fight against a non athletic guy. Is lowering the expectation of your martial arts training. Rather than training for a long fight against an athlete.

i don't have an issue with lowering the bar. We are all more than martial artists. I have a low bar in comparison to guys who fight professionally. But i also don't need to justify myself when they clean my clock.

if they are fitter,stronger,train harder and for longer they will become more technically proficient than myself who does not.

so we go back to that mile. He runs it i walk it. He gets to the end of that mile more quickly. He can now run back in the time it takes for me to finish mine. At the end of the year he is better at covering that mile than me.

you are correct it is a sport fighting methodology. And that is because sport fighting is hard.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually the sport fighting is easy....it's the training that is hard.

i understand where you are coming from with that. Train hard fight easy. But it is not really accurate in this context. The fight is hard the training is harder.

i had a mate of mine who fought a war against a guy who was better than him by a few degrees. But held on and lost by points.

he said that was pretty hard.

i have a terribly biased video of that on youtube.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i understand where you are coming from with that. Train hard fight easy. But it is not really accurate in this context. The fight is hard the training is harder.

i had a mate of mine who fought a war against a guy who was better than him by a few degrees. But held on and lost by points.

he said that was pretty hard.

i have a terribly biased video of that on youtube.

What context? You said sport fighting if you meant something else you should say what you mean.

'Biased' video?

'Fought a war' sounds like commentator speak when they are hyping a fighter or fight up.