My point about going a mile distance

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometime back I talked about if you had a mile distance you had to go and that if you ran the mile instead of just walking it that you would finish your mile sooner although you would have to work harder because running is harder work than walking. Some people said that for whatever reason they might not want to run the mile. Well what I was trying to say is that if you've got to get something done, working harder will get it done sooner and you save time, the tradeoff is that you have to work harder.

And if I repeat myself and keep saying the same thing over and over again well I thought patience was important in the martial arts, so we should use patience here.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometime back I talked about if you had a mile distance you had to go and that if you ran the mile instead of just walking it that you would finish your mile sooner although you would have to work harder because running is harder work than walking. Some people said that for whatever reason they might not want to run the mile. Well what I was trying to say is that if you've got to get something done, working harder will get it done sooner and you save time, the tradeoff is that you have to work harder.

And if I repeat myself and keep saying the same thing over and over again well I thought patience was important in the martial arts, so we should use patience here.
And of course by running you put added strain on your back and knees maybe causing damage. So the alternative might be, take your time, don't rush it and you will still arrive at the same destination.
;)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
And of course by running you put added strain on your back and knees maybe causing damage. So the alternative might be, take your time, don't rush it and you will still arrive at the same destination.
;)
Sure you will arrive but at a later time. Maybe you want to arrive at the destination and you want to arrive by a particular time.

A 100 yard dash would've been a better example to use than a mile.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure you will arrive but at a later time. Maybe you want to arrive at the destination and you want to arrive by a particular time.

why not the 40 yard dash 100 is so far.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
why not the 40 yard dash 100 is so far.
They don't have a 40 yard dash, at least they didn't when I did track in high school. The 100 yard dash is considered a sprint. 500 is middle distance and 1000 is long distance.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Patience is important in Martial Arts, yes. I don't know if it's important here, but would probably smooth things at times.

Of course there is something to be said for the antithesis, even if just for entertainment value.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I like to be fashionably late. When I get there, the queue for the food is much shorter and those in front of me are all hot and sweaty.
:D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not always. I don't care how hard you work, if you're making bread, it only rises so fast. If you're building a brick wall, and work twice as hard, and get twice as much brick laid, but don't allow enough time for the mortar to set properly, your wall isn't going to be as strong. Or, if you work twice as hard to go the wrong way... All you've done is put yourself twice as far off course.

Sometimes, you just have to accept that things happened in the past, and leave them there. If you spend all your time walking backwards, you'll miss the scenery in front of you -- and probably land on your *** when you trip over something.

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
5, 10 minutes? Going backwards anyway. If I can't do that there's something wrong.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

If I remember correctly I believe you were using this to justify your disagreement with an old martial arts story about mastery and you were missing the point then and you still are as it applies to martial arts. As for running vs. walking.... It would depend on why you are going the mile.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to be fashionably late. When I get there, the queue for the food is much shorter and those in front of me are all hot and sweaty.
:D
Sometimes you might want to be late. As you said you don't want to be hot and sweaty and you don't have to wait in a long line for food. But you don't want to be too late otherwise there might not be any food left. Its all in the timing.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not always. I don't care how hard you work, if you're making bread, it only rises so fast. If you're building a brick wall, and work twice as hard, and get twice as much brick laid, but don't allow enough time for the mortar to set properly, your wall isn't going to be as strong. Or, if you work twice as hard to go the wrong way... All you've done is put yourself twice as far off course.

Sometimes, you just have to accept that things happened in the past, and leave them there. If you spend all your time walking backwards, you'll miss the scenery in front of you -- and probably land on your *** when you trip over something.

There are some things that you can't rush otherwise you will ruin it and it will take longer. But, depending on what it is sometimes working harder will get you to your destination sooner.

And sometimes its good to look at the past, that's why they teach history in school.

Latest Discussions