US Military Academies

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with the application process? Have any experience? My daughter is applying for the Air Force Academy, and the application process is a bear. Just wondering if anyone has pearls of wisdom to share. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with the application process? Have any experience? My daughter is applying for the Air Force Academy, and the application process is a bear. Just wondering if anyone has pearls of wisdom to share. :)
It is a bear. Putting it mildly. The academies all have websites that spell out the process -- but as I understand it, it's really a dual process. The prospective cadet/midshipman has to obtain a nomination from their US Senator or Representative (and each only have so many slots) At the same time, they have to meet the admission criteria of the academy. There is also an alternate route from the enlisted ranks; each service selects a few of their best and brightest from the enlisted ranks to go to the academy each year. Honestly -- if she's starting after her freshman year of high school... she's going to have to really step up to do it.

Good luck to her!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A coworker's son goes to the Naval Academy. I can ask him any specific questions you might have

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
She interviewed with the congressman's panel last week and I think she's pretty competitive. One question is, she's really only interested j the usaf. Is it better to apply to al of the academies or is it pretty common to apply to just one?

Also, any tips on the panel interviews is helpful. She had one but hopes to also interview with our two senators.

She's definitely starting late, but I think is pretty competitive. She started the whole process about a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know he only applied to the Naval Academy but I don't know how common it is. I deal with Midshipmen all the time I'll ask some of them. If she does apply to others the Naval academy is beautiful and Annapolis is a cool town. Next time I see my coworker I'll ask. I'll pick some mids brains too on interviews

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A kid at my church just went to Yale on an ROTC scholarship as well that's another option for military service and free education

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being well rounded helped. I got an appt to the AF academy but I ended up denying it. I had an "in" but I also catered my entire high school career towards it (academics, athletics, clubs, volunteering, etc).

Taking a speech class would help in her interview - confidence and avoiding pregnant pauses, be engaging and speak to people vice at them. Having well thought out responses to questions pertaining to her motivations and self evaluation are key and often messed up by kids and many adults

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Berkeley on an ROTC scholarship is her back up. It's definitely on her radar.

I have to say, though. you guys are good luck. Posted this thread like two hours ago, and checked the mail a few hours later. Got the nomination from Dave reichert. So, whew. We spent some time reviewing the application. She just needs a writing sample and the fitness exam and I think her application is complete. Her status, as of today, went from applicant to candidate. Along with the change in status, she got an email with instructions for scheduling a physical.

Appreciate all the advice. Keep your finger crossed.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
one of my friends went to the air force, and he would occationally post on facdbook when he was in training.
i cant say anything really about what your asking but thought id post my 2 cents; best of luck to your daughter. thats quite a brave choice. hopefully all goes well
best of luck

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's super competitive. She want to fly? It's definitely a boys world as well. The AF is generally a little better than other branches, though.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's super competitive. She want to fly? It's definitely a boys world as well. The AF is generally a little better than other branches, though.
I think she wants something medical, but she understands that's pretty competitive, too. She's really good at math and science, so she's got a lot of options. 760 on the math portion of the sat, and consistent 5s in math/science related ap classes (calculus, chemistry and biology). For the record, that's not from me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I taught at USAFA in 2012-13. Good luck to her!
That's really cool. Talking to a few of the professors was what got her pumped to go. We went on a guided tour in September, and that really got her excited.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think she wants something medical, but she understands that's pretty competitive, too. She's really good at math and science, so she's got a lot of options. 760 on the math portion of the sat, and consistent 5s in math/science related ap classes (calculus, chemistry and biology). For the record, that's not from me.

haha. Yeah my friend wanted flight school really bad and ended up getting forced into medical. All you have to know is military life is about surrender. Just get used to not having control over your/her life and things will be more manageable. The trick is still backing up for your career while playing the game, but she'll get it.

On a bright note, Colorado Springs is great, and is a quick trip to Ft Collins. Boulder, and Denver...all amazing places.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she has a really good chance of getting in. Good luck to her.

Other options besides a school with ROTC only, might be one of the schools with a Corps of Cadets. Or a simi-academy like the Citidel. Virginia Tech also has a Corps of Cadets. It started off as a military school so even though a small part of the student body, it still has some power because of alumni support. But as far as I know, most if not all don't provide much monetary support beyond uniforms.

No matter the school other than the academies, she should explore the tuition assistance and grants available. All schools should have someone who specialized in that.

Again, good luck to her.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
VMI and The Citadel are great schools. They have an advantage, in a way, over the service academies in that the academies are ALL about preparing officers. If there's an issue between that and "real" education, they'll side on the officer prep side. It's a fairly minor thing -- but it's an issue to be aware of.

As I understand the process -- and I am like decades out of date! -- at this point, if she's got the nomination, she just needs to meet the academy's requirements and she's in. Sounds like she's on track there.

And, like I said, there are programs to take enlisted in. I had a high school classmate who was accepted to the Naval Academy Prep School rather than USNA, and then went on to the academy after a year or so. I don't think there were any academic issues (I'd be pretty surprised, honestly) so I think that it was a case of "we know there'll be some dropouts, we want you, so do this, and we'll pull you in next year."

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The prep schools are used mostly to get in athletes who are below the academic reqs., but are a route for enlisted and others too.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've known lots of USAFA grads (and those who have commissioned through other sources). Academy grads get the lion's share of pilot slots. It should be a hell of an experience for her. If she keeps her head in the books, there's even plenty of options for double majors and a chance at being sent to graduate school free of dime afterwards.

As a side addendum, most of the worst officers that I've known were all Academy grads. I'm not saying that the Academy produces bad officers but rather almost every officer that I've found to be inept/have serious issues happened to be Academy grads. It was always wtf man.

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks. She's plugging away. Has the essays to finish and that's it. Everything else is done, including the congressional nomination. Fingers crossed.

Latest Discussions