Man's '91 Pickup Passes 1 Million Miles!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Journey of a Million Miles begins with the first oil change. Yeah, it's a Chevy.
Man's '91 pickup passes the 1M-mile mark
Mon Feb 11, 11:08 PM ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080212/ap_on_fe_st/odd_million_mile_truck
GRESHAM, Wis. - Frank Oresnik's trusty pickup truck — he calls it "the old girl" — passed the 1 million-mile mark with a camera crew filming the event and a public-radio audience listening in. "I can't tell you how much fun it was," he said. "It was really humbling, all this interest."
Recent news stories told how Oresnik had just 1,200 miles to go before reaching the milestone in the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado that he bought with 41,000 miles on it in 1996 and used in his business, distributing seafood and steaks in the upper Midwest.
At the time, he was getting his latest oil change — the kind of regular maintenance he credits with helping to keep the truck going so long.
He said he's had the truck's oil changed more than 300 times. It's had so many changes that the oil pan drain plug had to be rethreaded several times, he said, and "you never hear of that."
He passed the million-mile mark Friday in southeastern Wisconsin while on his way back home to Catawba, located in the north in Price County, about an hour west of Rhinelander. He was on County Highway V southeast of Fond du Lac.
Well for all those Chevy-loving Ford haters this is going to put a feather in their cap. Still ANYTHING that you take care of will last a long time, this is especially true with automobiles.
I still think those made back before 1972 were the best that America ever made. The engines were screamingly simple, so much so that you didn't need a Ph.D to work on one. Oil change? Ah-yeap, do it m'self, tune-ups? Yessir, Do it m'self! Change head gaskets and such? Uh-huh, do it m'self!
Now it's like...uhh, where's the sparkplugs? For that matter where the hell is the dang air-filter?
Still a million miles is a long way to go.
What's the farthest you've driven a vehicle (total miles that is)?

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Regular maintenance doesn't cost, it saves.

edit - how many miles? only ~250K. But I remember the days when getting 100K was a notable event. Now it's commonplace.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My 97 Chevy's at 270K, and going strong. I got it in High School, and I'm never planning on selling it -- I'll drive it 'till it has to be towed to the junkyard!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I do not keep cars long enough for that but my Ford Van has over 200,000 and it is a 98.

Latest Discussions