What would you do with an extra $6 / day?

I would not go as far as you did for $6/day but if possible I would go as far as Carol, since I have 2 bikes, but biking it 70 miles a day is just not going to happen

The cool thing about biking is that it doesn't have to be door to door. I'm starting by driving to a spot a few miles away from the office, and then biking the rest of the way. I'll then gradually increase the distance as I get stronger.

I don't think I will ever bike door-to-door. In addition to the distance involved, the road that my complex is on is a very fast highway and not at all bike-friendly. But if I can ever get to the point where I can bike from the trail to my office (and back...) a few days a week, I will be very happy :)

I won't have the flexibility to just up and go anywhere I want. I'll have to remain aware of range and such,

Which sounds a lot like being a bus commuter. :uhyeah: Except that you're not on an arbitrary schedule. In terms of range, you could always rent a SUV if you wanted to do a road trip into the hinterlands. Nothing wrong with that.

What would you do with an extra $6 / day?

Make car payments. :whip1: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just hit 8000 miles and thought I'd give you guys an update.

So far, the LEAF is performing very well, although it's not without it's quirks.

Over 8,000 miles, I've been averaging $40/month in electricity. That's about $280 total for 8000 miles.
To drive that in my old car at 20 mpg and about $3.50/gallon for the gas, I would've been looking at around $1400. So, total savings so far is just over $1100... give or take a few bucks.

At this rate, presuming gas prices don't rise, I'll have saved over $15,000 in 10 years just on fuel. That's... significant, and the savings will just compound as gas prices rise. 10 years is when the batteries go out from warranty, so I'll have to make a decision then.

The car averaged about 4.7 miles/kwh in the summer time when the temperature was over 60F. Range dropped to about 3.2 miles/kwh as the temperature dropped consistently between 30 and 40F. That's reduced my reliable range from between 90 to 110 miles on a charge down to between 65 and 80 miles. Still plenty for me, but I know that would be a problem for many.

Another little thing is that the stock wiper blades were junk. In the Seattle area, we get plenty of rain, and the blades were failing me within just a few months. Not a big deal, but irritating. I expect at least a year out of my wiper blades.

The car itself is fun to drive, but frankly, the insecurity and rudeness of other drivers is getting old. I am routinely crowded on the freeway by pickups and SUVs. I get an occasional finger from a guy in a muscle car. Always guys. As I said, I chalk it up to insecurity and guilt. I mean, why do I care what you're driving unless it makes me feel bad about what I'm driving? Ultimately, it's just lame. :)

Not intended to be a political post. Just information. Bottom line, I still pinch myself when I think about how much money I'm NOT spending on gas.

considering that here in poor peple country the gas is over 3.60 atm, you are doing well.

(why does the temperature affect the range so much?)

Oh...I don't think you need to worry about the warranty in 10 years...though I am driving a 20+ year old care, I think most cars don't live that long. ;)

considering that here in poor peple country the gas is over 3.60 atm, you are doing well.

(why does the temperature affect the range so much?)

Oh...I don't think you need to worry about the warranty in 10 years...though I am driving a 20+ year old care, I think most cars don't live that long. ;)
The temperature affects the battery charge. Colder means quicker discharge.

As for the 10 year thing, the electric motor is maintenance free and it's rated for some ridiculous large amount of miles. The brakes should last me a good 100,000 miles at least.

Other than the wiper blades and tires, the only real maintenance requirement will be the batteries. So, it's really not unreasonable to expect this car to last me a long, long while. As I said, I am 90% sure I'll buy out the residual and keep this car, and I'll make a decision at 10 years whether to keep it or upgrade.

Well, I am considering you don't live in the snow free south, you might encounter some structural damage from salt before then. ;)

Lol.... Not in Seattle.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

Back