Mixed Martial Arts Sparring

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Read a little bit more of your introduction.

I would not guess you were 3rd Dan KKW based on that video. Your footwork, distance and timing is just not there. With my limited knowledge of CMA I'd have attributed this video to probably a CMA style and never have guessed any TKD was involved. Take that with a grain of salt if you want since that video was more or less non contact.

Again, 1st Dan KKW is not unbelievable based on this video, but at 3rd Dan I'd expect one to have more understanding of sparring and close to athlete-level footwork even if it's only to teach it.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's depressing.

I'll paraphrase Puunui; it's only a first Dan :)

And maybe "majority" is a stretch. I wouldn't be shocked at a more or less legitimate first Dan in one of those styles though.

More to the point, his kicks are sharp, he has nice WTF-style round house kicks, nice high crescent kicks, good balance, enough distance control not to hit his partner. However, Stance is nonexistent unless it's some kind of stance I've never heard of, footwork is equally nonexistent and I have no idea what he's doing with his hands.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read a little bit more of your introduction.

I would not guess you were 3rd Dan KKW based on that video. Your footwork, distance and timing is just not there. With my limited knowledge of CMA I'd have attributed this video to probably a CMA style and never have guessed any TKD was involved. Take that with a grain of salt if you want since that video was more or less non contact.

Again, 1st Dan KKW is not unbelievable based on this video, but at 3rd Dan I'd expect one to have more understanding of sparring and close to athlete-level footwork even if it's only to teach it.

Ummm... no... no CMA's found in there.

I'd give it American Karate or TKD (non-olympic & non-old school kwoon) at best. Actually Choi Kwan Do is about like that given the lack of contact & technique.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some decent kicks. Two people with no idea what to do with their hands. Two people afraid of contact, even when demoing at barely point sparring contact. Looks more like two people with some athletic ability demoing techniques they have made up on the spot. TKD? There were some decent kicks, I'll give you that. Wing Chun? Were the elbow up blocks at around the 3 min mark supposed to be Wing Chun? Fail. A Wing Chun practioner says there is none. A Bagua practioner says there is none. Noticing a trend? Judo. Uh no. A stance from judo to avoid a sweep? Do tell, as a judoka(and former jiu jitsu practicioner), I would love to know what stance in judo is used to avoid a sweep. Aikido? Was it a different stance from the judo stance to avoid a sweep? Apparently I have much to learn about Japanese arts from a person with no apparent background in them.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you want honest feedback? Warning: it won't necessarily be gentle.

Of course! I would just prefer not to have any which is vindictive. I try to couch criticism with positive reinforcement. I posted this video for the enjoyment of others, and perhaps it might give them idea of what to do when sparring, and what not to do.

There was no Wing Chun in that mate.
Too much flicky , flowery , stylistic stuff in that for Wing Chun.

This is true. I inserted Wing Chun because there was a sequence, apparently I ended up removing, where I did use wing chun. Squaring arms, and so forth. My apologies for removing it and still citing the art as being in the video.

Stop staying out at range flicking your leg around and move in and hit him.
You keep that caper up and someones just going to come in and run you over.
T

There will always be different tactics per individual. I happen to know Alec, because he smokes cigarettes gets winded easily. As such, retreating backward, while kicking continuously, has proven in the past effective in keeping our of reach from his strikes, which are cripplingly hard.

You'll notice numerous time where he does advance upon me after I've retreated, but you should also notice that when that happens, I lowered myself, and either stayed stationery, or moved to the side of opponent. If what you said were true, than you would have seen me bowled over multiple times.
3:22-3:25, and 4:21-4:25. It is easy to avoid being 'bowled over' by sidestepping the person prior to their impact.Too much wasted movement , soon as you engage move into punching range and keep the pressure up , don't hang back on one leg playing footsies.

It might sound harsh , but that's my opinion of it.

I would agree there was a lot of wasted movement, on both sides. However, given that this was done in good fun, and not in defense of one's life, it might be forgivable. If not, than my apologies, it is something to work on. Because I so often train with people considerably taller than me, it has become something of a habit in practice sparring to use my legs to ward them until a sufficient opening is present.

My only comment on your sparring for you personally is that if you try to pull your head back like that, it means you're afraid to get hit in the head, and generally it also means you have never been hit in the head.

I am quite certain most people have a fear of being struck in the head. Though perhaps concern is a better word. The reason I tilt when pressed, is because taller people, if unable to circumvent their height by side-stepping (since they are pressing in a linear form) I've found that by tilting my head it removes me from the reach, while allowing them to stay within mine.

I say this humbly, as a martial arts beginner myself; but I have one advantage you do not. I am old, and I have had my *** kicked by life, as you will eventually. I have learned the value of choosing a path and seeing it through. I will never be as fast, as flexible, or have the balance you have. Take advantage of what you have now, so that you still have it later, when you learn what I have and you do not; power and focus.

when young, I was able to speak fluently in French because of my family's military stint living there. When we moved to the states, for some reason I opted never to speak the language again, and it gradually faded. I have never stopped practicing the martial arts I have learned, from each teacher, at least until another adequately pointed out that what they taught was incorrect (for example, breaking a fall with wrists instead of forearms, and so on).

Your comment that I should stick with one art seems to suggest abandonment of the others, or at least non-committance.

and there was no 'Isshin-ryu' use in the video you posted that I could see;

I would advise you to re-watch it then. The sequence between :53-:57 Alec has an excellent barage of half-turned sword hand from Isshin-Ryu. Using elements of an art does not mean it will be all over the place.

These are growups at this table, young man. You're welcome to join in, and frankly, I hope you do. But you ain't all that and a bag of chips. If you don't choose to believe that, cool, but realize that others who actually know what they are talking about are going to become less gentle about slapping you down if you keep this nonsense up. We've got actual masters on MT who have 30 and 40 years of study in; they've got belts older than you. When you post a video and hope they learn something from it?

For someone who emphasizes respect, you sure have a way of not conveying it to others who have been patient with your candor. If you think I am young, am too ego, and not that great, so be it. I posted this video because as you point out, SOME people have been training for a very long time, while others, just weeks. I posted this so people who are martial artists might appreciate it, and offer insights. If you would like to tear the video apart, you are welcome to do so, but keep in mind the more and more you emphasize age as being something of any kind of import in an art, and your condescending vernacular and syntax when addressing me because of me age, has actually led me to keep you in the view as someone with a very closed mind, at least in terms of age and martial arts. That is alright, you are not my sifu, and you never will be.

I will however say this- accusing anyone of having poor form, or in going to a bad school, is terribly disrespectful toward things you don't know. I have never trained at a Mcdojo, and the fact you say that about the people I have learned from makes me shake my head, not in anger, but in the pettiness. It is a gross assumption, and one without validation.

The kicks you favor a snap kick that twist at the end you seem to do this at least 10 times. I think if you went up against a skilled grappler he would grab your leg or go for a take down.

Alec is a very skilled grappler, at least in my opine. When we grapply all I can do is escape from his holds and get back up. I don't even try to play with groundwork with him. He tends to use his throws most when I execute my kicks, so it was surprising that he didn't throw me once at all during this training stance. Can only use the footage one has.

"Just because you use a vertical fist does not make it Wing Chun

I agree, though I would consider the raised, vertical strike to be a hand technique from wing-chun. Though if there are arts which expressly use this same technique, in the same manner, please let me know so I can re-orient my understanding of the art.

No, you had no real evasive movement at all, except for trying to keep your head back, which stopped you committing properly to anything you threw, instead occasionally trying to over-compensate with wild, skill-less flurries. You showed no defensive ability whatsoever, but a lot of fear. In short, you looked like you wanted to look good, and that was the main thing, with no real display of skill. It could almost have been someone copying movie choreography in a free-form manner, rather than any actual display of anything to do with martial arts.

An interesting way to look at it. If you notice when I retreat, it is in response to a technique either about to be thrown, or is being thrown. And if you also notice, the majority of the time, the attempted assailant technique misses.
1:00-1:04 is one example of a side-step, which I believe qualifies as evasion.

The biggest issue with the claims that you have come here with are that they are contradictory (you're 22, and have been training for 20 years - which would have you starting at the age of 2 - or "a bit over 19 years, and I tend to round up" - which would be you starting at age 2 or 3 - to you starting at the age of 4 - which would be 18 years at most - , to this clip saying you have 13 years experience, through to your claim that you train in a form of Bagua but have been asked to teach a form of Karate [with a Korean system name], and so on), largely improbable to the point of unbelievable, and your rather lengthy resume including a form of Bagua that contradicts established Bagua history, of which Bagua practitioners don't recognise what you're describing as Bagua, as well as systems that simply don't exist (there is no such martial system as "Okinawan Karate"... there are Okinawan Karate systems, such as Isshin Ryu, Goju Ryu, and so on, but no such system as "Okinawan Karate")

My apologies for being unclear, and for the credits not conveying in the way they scrolled, our respective information. I have trained since a week after I turned 4, and have done so for 19 years since. To be honest, I've practiced since I could walk, but I wouldn't consider the mild exercises my father had me do when I was 2-3 as legitimate training, just mild things which would assist when would begin shortly later.

The system of 'Okinawan Karate' was comprised mainly of Goju-Ryu, but in Master Murphy's own words, would not be considered so because it incorporated elements of kenpo and Judo. This is a different art than Goju-Ryu, and out of respect of that difference, he called the art Okinawan Karate. It is comprised of techniques from Okinawa, following techniques from certain schools, though no single one. For this reason it is not a Ryu itself, but an amalgamation of different arts.

and some things that are just plainly bizarre... I mean, what on earth is "acujutsu"?!?

Acujutsu is the word we use for using specific pressure points, also used in acupuncture, in combat. If there is another name, more commonly used, I would love to hear it, please.

Add to that your self appraisal of your expertise with a blade,

Eh? When have I ever claimed being an expert with a sword. I was fortunate that I practiced kendo, and kenjutsu, among others, but I would not claim to be an expert. I was on spar last I practiced in a school with a sandan, but having the speed, does not equate to the same degree of skill.

The recommendation is to realise that your abilities may really not be what you think they are, and to act accordingly. There are a large number of people here (including myself, for the record) who have been training longer than you've been alive, and believe me when I tell you that your claims don't have the ring of authenticity to us.

It is strange how often people use duration of training as a reason of superiority, or reason to critique others as being incorrect. I don't think I've ever pulled as an argument, you should listen to me, because you have been training for less than I have (say 3 or 4 years). Over and over, I must repeat, I do not think duration of training means anything.

Perfect practice makes perfect. If you train improperly, you will be improper.

I think perhaps the greatest reason I discount age, and experience based on chronology, was when I met a 74 chinese master who while good, would not teach to a japanese or any white person. Age does not discount bigotry, bias, or frank err that comes with being human. Sorry I'm 22, and I've trained for under two decades, and I do apologize for round up. Had I realized how much that would offend people I wouldn't have.

To your clip, you showed little real ability with any of it, a lot of same-leg kicks (not really anything like any Bagua I've seen...),

That's because there was not just bagua being used. I don't think you can possibly say the high round-house kick I used a multitude of times hails from Baguazhang. Why? Because I trained with different styles, and switch between styles often.

(gotta disagree with Bill here, you really weren't fast at all except where you were flailing at each other, but I don't count that as fast, as there was nothing behind any of it),

If they looked like flails to you so be it. But you should also notice that the majority of hand strikes employed, were countered. You should watch the video, we aren't throwing our hands out at random places, and we do choose carefully when we do so. Watch closely where the hands go, and our responses. You will see quite a few of our techniques are thrown, and then aborted when an opening which was present became closed.

I assure you, for either of us, we will not throw our hands out for no reason. Intent is important.

out of range, with no defensive skill, no sense of timing, no angling, no footwork, no sense of distance, no sense of targeting, and no sense of power. I really don't believe that Alec hitting you would have done much, nor you hitting him.

The only response I can say to that is perhaps if in the D.C. area you could join us for practice, and you will see. Many of the kicks out of range were done specifically so. A wasted technique is one which is attempted, and fails, and was unnecessary. A lot of the kicks I throw out are because I've noticed he's about to charge, and I'm trying to mitigate the charge before he overwhelms me, which Alec tends to do given enough duration of exchange. If you think Alec's strikes wouldn't hurt, well, I have to differ on my opine. I've seen him break three cinderblocks at sixteen. I know, fact, I do not want his hand connecting with my face.

We both hail from a school with a philosophy that if a real punch lands, and they aren't knocked out, you are not doing enough push-ups. Feel free to rag on me all you like- but do not take such an insulting, and ultimately speculative view about somebody who is actually good at their art.

For someone who is almost crippled moving, you have to give Alec a hand that despite his disabilities he can still fight well.

Speed is relative. If you are as fast as you say, than I applaud you for it. I hope you gain more speed.

As You wish. The kicking with the same leg multiple times like that is absurd and ineffective against anyone who doesnt politely stand there and permit it.

Agreed on some levels. For example, in a confrontation on the street involving lethality, I would certainly not advert doing a front-kick, then inverted axe kick unless you intend to really put them down. When sparring however, which is a different situation, it is both a good ward, and jamming technique.

But if you want proof in point that multi-kicking on one leg can be ineffective, take a look at the sequence from 5:26 to 5:29. Didn't do me much good. One sliding front jab nullified everything I had tried to do.

However, if you ever spar against someone who just does not have to put their leg down, you'll find yourself suddenly fighting three limbs at once, instead of two. And you do see that quite a bit in this video.

The Punching is very abstract, and vague - I lack better words for it than that. Its like there are times when volleys are attempted, but theyre held back and limited by some kind of overattention to technique.

From the Chung Do Kwan school we hailed from, for safety reasons, we 'break' whenever a decided hit gets in and pause. And we both know when one does or doesn't.

Neither of us telegraph as much as I think many do, but we have practiced for so many years together that we can tell practically what the other is thinking while sparring. Both of us have a high sensitivity to a change in circumstances, if a person moved, if a new element were introduced. You will see a lot of techniques where we set up for, but never do anything. Both of us have a tendency of leaving deliberate opening for the other to exploit, as a trap.

There is a nigh complete lack of aggression.

We are very close friends. Knowing, and being confident in the ability to harm each other... why would friends do so? Friends. He and I both trained in krav maga, which looks nothing like what we were doing. Wanton exchanges. Both of us understand that in a confrontation, there is no parrying. You bloody strike them in the neck, temple, groin, and you put them down within three techniques. This was sparring however, without the intent to hurt each other, and for apparently how sloppy we are, it does go to say that without any padding, neither of us received any injury from this.

Control, does not mean a lack of agression, or that we do not like to get hit.

Its like having two Defenders trying to be Defensive, whilst Sparring. It isnt a particularly good syllabus. Alot of the Kicks lack Power, and the Blocking can be a bit too evasive. Now, I know that to a degree, thats the point. But not when it means putting Yourself someplace where a better opponent could easily rush You as a result.

You spend a bit too much time standing around, and You both seem to be trying to stay away from each other. I get it with You - If You fancy staying away from heavy hitters, so be it. But when He does it, He cant exactly call the same excuse. And if Youre therefore both good, then thats all the more reason to get closer.

Lastly, most of the strikes are executed Stationary. Which is fine for defense, but see point 3.

I can only speak for myself, I'd be happy to ask Alec why he was hanging back, if he was.

But then again, you can see for yourself how often I'll throw a kick, as if randomly in the air. It's to keep him back, so maybe there's a reason he's being wary. no reason to be kicked when not needed. Alec is also very injured from poorly training routines from instructors he has misfortunately had. Because of this he prefers to wait, and react. He hurts when he moves at all, and he is receiving therapy for it. But there's no need for him to make it worse unnecessarily.

Theres nothing wrong with cross training. I do it myself. However, theres a difference between really devoting quality time to training and being a jack of all trades, master of none. IMHO, I think that you and your friend fall into the latter.

If that is your opine, than so be it. What would a jack of all trade, or renaissance man be in Martial Arts? I have no answer, and as such, that is not my aspiration.

You both seem passionate about training,

Please do not make assumptions. Alec has been unable to train since his knee injury. How he performed in this video was phenomenal to me considering all things. He has not had a good teacher in two years. When he 'trains' it is when we spar, and it shows that his abilities have stagnated, and it is something which has bothered him considerably
however, its clearly apparent that for the amount of time that you both claim to have trained, the skill IMO, doesnt reflect it.

There is a nigh complete lack of aggression. Its like having two Defenders trying to be Defensive, whilst Sparring. It isnt a particularly good syllabus. Alot of the Kicks lack Power, and the Blocking can be a bit too evasive. Now, I know that to a degree, thats the point. But not when it means putting Yourself someplace where a better opponent could easily rush You as a result.

2) To be honest, I saw none/very little of the styles you list.

Look closer. You'll see an Aikido posturing mixed with personalized stylization. You'll see shotokan sword hand while standing in a baguazhang stance. Look, instead of reporting what you don't see. I have no reason to lie to anyone on this forum.

LOL. You can't be serious. Judging by the way he was striking, I find that hard to believe. Furthermore, you can easily put on some some protective gear and actually make some contact. We wear protective gear when sparring in Kyokushin, minimal as it may be, and we're hitting much, much harder than what was displayed here.

I am amazed by how many people criticizing a lack of power, instead of noticing the degree of control. When he gets his strikes through my defense, he could clock me stupid. In the clip :50-:53 I dodge a strike from him, responding with a ridge hand TO THE BACK OF HIS HEAD, where the spine begins. Clipping that, even lightly can lead to death, and hence is why I held the technique from striking. Control, and one can still observe clearly the strike was clearly 'in'. You don't need force for a vital strike, at least not the kind being espoused on this forum. And notice that both of us were able to keep going afterward, no matter what hit made it through.

If you take a look at , you'll notice a training bag in the background. That was mine, and it carried both of our gear. He stores his at mine house. We both opted, prior to sparring, not to use gear for a number of reasons. One, I like my friend, and going hard contact is unnecessary, when we both have in the past. Did you want to see a video of two friends, who are martial artists hospitalizing each other? Additionally, neither of us like using equipment apart from the mouthguard. The reason for this is that while gloves, and padding my remove contusions, scrapes, and cuts, they also instill an absolutely retarded mindset that harder contact should be initiated.

This is the exact reasons boxers can retire not from age, but from mental damaging. Because people think that pads make their hands safe enough they feel comfortable to exert, while not full force, enough to cause deep tissue damage (IN THE HEAD). Which is a pet peeve of mine. People need to stop worry about how pretty their faces look, when they're perfectly willing to brain each other in the name of safety.

I know Alex has been training in MA for a long time, I can't say how long. But he placed in a Kendo tournament as a junior rank in 2005 or 2006, and he placed in a martial arts tournament that featured sparring in the same timeframe as an advanced underbelt. From the curriculum vitae he has placed on the web in various locations, he has jumped around a lot, training mostly at (what I would consider) McDojos around the Norther Virginia area. I mean no disrespect to TKD practioners, but there are a lot of belt mills wrapped around that concept, so it's not that hard to pick up a 1st Dan in some form of TKD in a fairly short period of time. Alex claims to have earned his first black belt at age 6 or 7 if I recall correctly. Bouncing around from dojo to dojo, I can see how he could repeat rank in various Korean styles and some unaffiliated make-um-up styles.

You are correct. I have never considered myself to train at a mcdojo save possibly my very first school, and though having had the misfortune of teaching at several (in rough times people have done worse to make ends meet)

I'm not fraud-busting here; I don't think one could say he's a 'fraud' exactly. It's certainly possible he's been training since age 3 (though highly unlikely IMHO). He may actually have all the dan ranks he claims; but I don't think his dan ranks are what most martial artists consider real. He's clearly been at it for awhile, and that's a good thing. I hope his enthusiasm lasts and he continues to develop as a martial artist and a person. He just needs to get over the notion that he's a master and humble himself a bit. I think if he found a real dojo and applied himself, he'd do well.

The funny thing is, I do not consider myself a master. I never will, either. I like to learn, and offer my opinion, because I am opinionated. I am saddened if I have come off as a fraud, for I mean nothing but sincerity in doing martial arts. You are absolutely correct that such a problems of schools existing like that all too frequently, but you also, fortunately, can find many schools with phenomenal teachers, and people of ability. The biggest reason why I transitioned from Tae Kwon Do was because I became fed up the McDojo problem, where I seemed to constantly wind up with any korean art outside Tang Soo Do. I was lucky who taught me Baguazhang was also a practioner of Taekyon, but he believed in not cross systems while teaching, which I am also thankful for. He is who taught me, this time correctly, Tang Soo Do in addition. I will always be grateful for that.

Thank you for your post bill, having just read 15 which were not the kindest, yours was a nice break.

"either showed any real commitment to an attack, neither showed evasion or counter-attacking. You apparently dislike your face, the way you leave it unprotected. As someone who once was accused of having mastered the face block... I don't recommend it. You held pretty stances for the most part, though."

You can see time and again exchanges where per exchange one will push the other back half the floor width of a 3 story lobby. The fact that you can clearly see, multiple techniques getting in for both of us is clearly an indicator of commitment. The fact we didn't get hurt also shows commitment not to harm each other.

Alec asked me if we should wear gloves before we sparred, because I had remarked we would go at about half of what we can do. This made him think we would be going harder, not better, which is what I meant. I told him no, because I do not want to harm my friends, especially with something I love.

Again, I have never said I have mastered ANYTHING. I hope you say that line to anyone who uses a style which leave the arms lowered. I can think of a couple of Moo Duk Kwan practitioners, who with their arms down would be happy to kick you over the comment. Some people dont use hands to block. Preference does not mandate practicality.

You'll notice that oft my hands are raised before my face. The nice thing about having speed is also having the freedom to lower ones arms at times, and bring them back to one's face to protect. It's not hard, maybe you should learn to do it instead of leaving your arms like rigid stones in front of your face.

EDIT: You have excellent balance and your partner's sidekicks look good. Your frontkicks though should point out a little more IMHO.

Thank you for offering the first comment which gives me constructive input to improve. By point out, how do you mean? With my toes, ball of foot, or in how far it is oriented when high kicking?

Again, 1st Dan KKW is not unbelievable based on this video, but at 3rd Dan I'd expect one to have more understanding of sparring and close to athlete-level footwork even if it's only to teach it.[/QUOTE]

Unless I missunderstood what you mean by footwork, in any of that footage do you see successful trips or falls, or even stumbles? Even when forced back on one leg, I retain balance. After kicking, I return to, and transition to actual stances, and not just a singular fighting stance. I am confused as to what more could be asked for

However, Stance is nonexistent unless it's some kind of stance I've never heard of, footwork is equally nonexistent and I have no idea what he's doing with his hands.

The hand movement is generate intertia. Oft when I kick, I will rotate my arm, transfering the kinetic momentum it was carrying to my leg, allowing for more force. I've found that the only way to actually keep my hip aligned, and my leg for multiple kicks on one leg, is if I actually fully execute the kick. For some reason the leg gives out the second I do a half kick.

The end part, I thought I had rotated my hands so much might look neat with the effects. It is dubstep afterall haha.

Some decent kicks. Two people with no idea what to do with their hands. Two people afraid of contact, even when demoing at barely point sparring contact. Looks more like two people with some athletic ability demoing techniques they have made up on the spot. TKD? There were some decent kicks, I'll give you that. Wing Chun? Were the elbow up blocks at around the 3 min mark supposed to be Wing Chun? Fail. A Wing Chun practioner says there is none. A Bagua practioner says there is none. Noticing a trend? Judo. Uh no. A stance from judo to avoid a sweep? Do tell, as a judoka(and former jiu jitsu practicioner), I would love to know what stance in judo is used to avoid a sweep. Aikido? Was it a different stance from the judo stance to avoid a sweep? Apparently I have much to learn about Japanese arts from a person with no apparent background in them.

Thank you for the compliment on the kicks. However, I ask you count out of all the punches thrown how many were wasted, how many were aborted because the intended opening closed, and how much was thrown willy nilly with no intent. For the last one, I can gaurantee you there are next to none. I am a very lazy person by nature, I have no need to waste my breath throwing my short arm out, when the person is well outside of leg range. The elbow I wouldn't say is from wing chun. If you'll note, Alec blocks my round-kick, which I use to step over. This allowed me to narrowly side step the left hook from Alec, while simultaneously block his arm which was raising to strike my head. The same arm I used then, while he advanced, pushed his arm which had just missed me to rotate him a small bit. The second my foot touched the ground I launched back to give him space to continue, now enough off balance that I used the opportunity to overwhelm him backwards.

This is in the span of 3 seconds mind you. Look closely, there is no elbow. The arm is used to channel the punch which missed so I could rotate his body and put him enough off balance to exploit it. It is a relatively common Bagua technique where one allows the other's strike to by pass, and then push or turn them a little further to put them off balance. In this case it wasn't doable because of his forward momentum being strong enough to mitigate the loss of centering, which suggests a very strong stance on Alec's part. There was only one sequence we filmed where there was any wingchun, and I unfortunantely edited that out apparently.

Honestly, I do not mind criticism. But virtually every post was critically negative, and some downright insultory. Some who said I dodge not at all, some saying I am too flighty. I posted a video to share, and receive positive feedback, not appraise, and instead it was torn to shreds, for every reason imaginable, some conflicting. I have one person who has acuses people who can't even defend themself because they've passed away, insulting my teachers. Which you have done, and I will not tolerate anytime you call their school a Mcdojo. If you feel that is the kind of martial artist I am, so be it. But disrespecting the people I learned from is not right, and you know that. I have people mistaking control for inability to hit, and even worse people who attack my background not because it is wrong, but because they have not heard of it, and the great God of google did not enlighten them.

In some regions, in some arts, the names used for techniques, even styles is different. What bothers me is not the criticism I received, but the fact that it was mostly negative, and virtually none at all positive. This video was shared for those of this forum to enjoy, not ***** on. It was posted for you to offer insight, and instead it was insulted.

I've had people who I cried over when they closed the doors to their schools tell me when my form was crap, and scream at me raw when I was wrong. It is not the criticism which bothers me, but the methodoligical vitriole it was carried out in. It seems that while there are decent martial artists on this forum, a lot, a very large amount, are very petty.

When I have someone LOLing at a skilled practitioners control as a sign of weakness, I cannot help but think that reflects on this website in terms of ignorance. While I understand that none of you were present for the setting, but the critique took a sharp novedive into the insulting. It is easy to criticize, while I saw none offering input in ways to rectify the weaknesses they saw.

The negativity I've received on this forum for a posting of two friends sparring each other is surprising. Was there anything offensive we did? When I first perused this section I noticed there were not many videos of people sparring, namely of katas, weapons, and people showing the progress of their children. I can understand why people would be hesitant now to post on this forum a video of them fighting.

It is easy, so easy to point out what you would do while watching another. Nobody who has watched this video was there, or in the fight. I recall a frustrating many times where I would raise my hand a fraction of an inch to begin to punch and have to completely change tactic because he noticed, and altered his positioning.

With Alec, and very skilled people, the alteration of just an inch in their stance can produce dramatic changes in their openings.

I would hope though that people who have come together to share, would do so less negatively.

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post is very long and you have a lot to say...................

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There was much to respond to. There was also a lot not to. I'm assuming no one will read the full length. I wish there was a way to quote with the members name.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
and some things that are just plainly bizarre... I mean, what on earth is "acujutsu"?!? Acujutsu is the word we use for using specific pressure points, also used in acupuncture, in combat. If there is another name, more commonly used, I would love to hear it, please.
I think Kyusho急所, Dian Xue 点穴 also called Dim mak in cantonese. Acujutsu to most martial artist may sound strange.
Alec is a very skilled grappler, at least in my opine. When we grapply all I can do is escape from his holds and get back up. I don't even try to play with groundwork with him. He tends to use his throws most when I execute my kicks, so it was surprising that he didn't throw me once at all during this training stance. Can only use the footage one has.
I wasn't sure what the clip was suppose to display. When I do any type of sparing or sharing of ideas stand up and grappling as well as ground work are ok unless specified before hand. Just looking at the clip posted and the tendency of using the kicks you use so often I imagine a competent grappler would uproot you, sweep you maybe a more experience grappler can comment on how a grappler would examine it and look for takedowns. It might be something to look at next time you spare maybe practice some drills were a grappler does up root you or throw you down and how you can still be able to adapt to the circumstance.

In some regions, in some arts, the names used for techniques, even styles is different. What bothers me is not the criticism I received, but the fact that it was mostly negative, and virtually none at all positive. This video was shared for those of this forum to enjoy, not ***** on. It was posted for you to offer insight, and instead it was insulted.
When you put yourself out there you open yourself for both the good and the bad, it is something to think about the pros and cons of things. Martial talk is alot more polite than say Bullshido. Alot of people are blunt and brutally honest sometimes the demeaner isn't the softest but its part of being a martial artist and not a beanie baby collector. I am reminded that if there is nothing positive about something than use that negative to turn into something contructive such as listening to the points given refining your skills examining things you may lack.

It seems that while there are decent martial artists on this forum, a lot, a very large amount, are very petty.
If there is someone you do not like or do not want to read their post you can put them on ignore.
You won't agree with everyone and others will disagree with you, some people may be rude but you are in college I suppose you took a communications class and a psychology class so you understand.
When I have someone LOLing at a skilled practitioners control as a sign of weakness, I cannot help but think that reflects on this website in terms of ignorance. While I understand that none of you were present for the setting, but the critique took a sharp novedive into the insulting. It is easy to criticize, while I saw none offering input in ways to rectify the weaknesses they saw.
Just becareful of comments in bold it might create strife in the future.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course! I would just prefer not to have any which is vindictive. I try to couch criticism with positive reinforcement. I posted this video for the enjoyment of others, and perhaps it might give them idea of what to do when sparring, and what not to do.

This is true. I inserted Wing Chun because there was a sequence, apparently I ended up removing, where I did use wing chun. Squaring arms, and so forth. My apologies for removing it and still citing the art as being in the video.

T

There will always be different tactics per individual. I happen to know Alec, because he smokes cigarettes gets winded easily. As such, retreating backward, while kicking continuously, has proven in the past effective in keeping our of reach from his strikes, which are cripplingly hard.

You'll notice numerous time where he does advance upon me after I've retreated, but you should also notice that when that happens, I lowered myself, and either stayed stationery, or moved to the side of opponent. If what you said were true, than you would have seen me bowled over multiple times.
3:22-3:25, and 4:21-4:25. It is easy to avoid being 'bowled over' by sidestepping the person prior to their impact.Too much wasted movement , soon as you engage move into punching range and keep the pressure up , don't hang back on one leg playing footsies.

I would agree there was a lot of wasted movement, on both sides. However, given that this was done in good fun, and not in defense of one's life, it might be forgivable. If not, than my apologies, it is something to work on. Because I so often train with people considerably taller than me, it has become something of a habit in practice sparring to use my legs to ward them until a sufficient opening is present.

I am quite certain most people have a fear of being struck in the head. Though perhaps concern is a better word. The reason I tilt when pressed, is because taller people, if unable to circumvent their height by side-stepping (since they are pressing in a linear form) I've found that by tilting my head it removes me from the reach, while allowing them to stay within mine.

when young, I was able to speak fluently in French because of my family's military stint living there. When we moved to the states, for some reason I opted never to speak the language again, and it gradually faded. I have never stopped practicing the martial arts I have learned, from each teacher, at least until another adequately pointed out that what they taught was incorrect (for example, breaking a fall with wrists instead of forearms, and so on).

Your comment that I should stick with one art seems to suggest abandonment of the others, or at least non-committance.

I would advise you to re-watch it then. The sequence between :53-:57 Alec has an excellent barage of half-turned sword hand from Isshin-Ryu. Using elements of an art does not mean it will be all over the place.

For someone who emphasizes respect, you sure have a way of not conveying it to others who have been patient with your candor. If you think I am young, am too ego, and not that great, so be it. I posted this video because as you point out, SOME people have been training for a very long time, while others, just weeks. I posted this so people who are martial artists might appreciate it, and offer insights. If you would like to tear the video apart, you are welcome to do so, but keep in mind the more and more you emphasize age as being something of any kind of import in an art, and your condescending vernacular and syntax when addressing me because of me age, has actually led me to keep you in the view as someone with a very closed mind, at least in terms of age and martial arts. That is alright, you are not my sifu, and you never will be.

I will however say this- accusing anyone of having poor form, or in going to a bad school, is terribly disrespectful toward things you don't know. I have never trained at a Mcdojo, and the fact you say that about the people I have learned from makes me shake my head, not in anger, but in the pettiness. It is a gross assumption, and one without validation.

I agree, though I would consider the raised, vertical strike to be a hand technique from wing-chun. Though if there are arts which expressly use this same technique, in the same manner, please let me know so I can re-orient my understanding of the art.

An interesting way to look at it. If you notice when I retreat, it is in response to a technique either about to be thrown, or is being thrown. And if you also notice, the majority of the time, the attempted assailant technique misses.
1:00-1:04 is one example of a side-step, which I believe qualifies as evasion.

My apologies for being unclear, and for the credits not conveying in the way they scrolled, our respective information. I have trained since a week after I turned 4, and have done so for 19 years since. To be honest, I've practiced since I could walk, but I wouldn't consider the mild exercises my father had me do when I was 2-3 as legitimate training, just mild things which would assist when would begin shortly later.

The system of 'Okinawan Karate' was comprised mainly of Goju-Ryu, but in Master Murphy's own words, would not be considered so because it incorporated elements of kenpo and Judo. This is a different art than Goju-Ryu, and out of respect of that difference, he called the art Okinawan Karate. It is comprised of techniques from Okinawa, following techniques from certain schools, though no single one. For this reason it is not a Ryu itself, but an amalgamation of different arts.

Acujutsu is the word we use for using specific pressure points, also used in acupuncture, in combat. If there is another name, more commonly used, I would love to hear it, please.

Eh? When have I ever claimed being an expert with a sword. I was fortunate that I practiced kendo, and kenjutsu, among others, but I would not claim to be an expert. I was on spar last I practiced in a school with a sandan, but having the speed, does not equate to the same degree of skill.

It is strange how often people use duration of training as a reason of superiority, or reason to critique others as being incorrect. I don't think I've ever pulled as an argument, you should listen to me, because you have been training for less than I have (say 3 or 4 years). Over and over, I must repeat, I do not think duration of training means anything.

Perfect practice makes perfect. If you train improperly, you will be improper.

I think perhaps the greatest reason I discount age, and experience based on chronology, was when I met a 74 chinese master who while good, would not teach to a japanese or any white person. Age does not discount bigotry, bias, or frank err that comes with being human. Sorry I'm 22, and I've trained for under two decades, and I do apologize for round up. Had I realized how much that would offend people I wouldn't have.

That's because there was not just bagua being used. I don't think you can possibly say the high round-house kick I used a multitude of times hails from Baguazhang. Why? Because I trained with different styles, and switch between styles often.

If they looked like flails to you so be it. But you should also notice that the majority of hand strikes employed, were countered. You should watch the video, we aren't throwing our hands out at random places, and we do choose carefully when we do so. Watch closely where the hands go, and our responses. You will see quite a few of our techniques are thrown, and then aborted when an opening which was present became closed.

I assure you, for either of us, we will not throw our hands out for no reason. Intent is important.

The only response I can say to that is perhaps if in the D.C. area you could join us for practice, and you will see. Many of the kicks out of range were done specifically so. A wasted technique is one which is attempted, and fails, and was unnecessary. A lot of the kicks I throw out are because I've noticed he's about to charge, and I'm trying to mitigate the charge before he overwhelms me, which Alec tends to do given enough duration of exchange. If you think Alec's strikes wouldn't hurt, well, I have to differ on my opine. I've seen him break three cinderblocks at sixteen. I know, fact, I do not want his hand connecting with my face.

We both hail from a school with a philosophy that if a real punch lands, and they aren't knocked out, you are not doing enough push-ups. Feel free to rag on me all you like- but do not take such an insulting, and ultimately speculative view about somebody who is actually good at their art.

For someone who is almost crippled moving, you have to give Alec a hand that despite his disabilities he can still fight well.

Speed is relative. If you are as fast as you say, than I applaud you for it. I hope you gain more speed.

Agreed on some levels. For example, in a confrontation on the street involving lethality, I would certainly not advert doing a front-kick, then inverted axe kick unless you intend to really put them down. When sparring however, which is a different situation, it is both a good ward, and jamming technique.

But if you want proof in point that multi-kicking on one leg can be ineffective, take a look at the sequence from 5:26 to 5:29. Didn't do me much good. One sliding front jab nullified everything I had tried to do.

However, if you ever spar against someone who just does not have to put their leg down, you'll find yourself suddenly fighting three limbs at once, instead of two. And you do see that quite a bit in this video.

From the Chung Do Kwan school we hailed from, for safety reasons, we 'break' whenever a decided hit gets in and pause. And we both know when one does or doesn't.

Neither of us telegraph as much as I think many do, but we have practiced for so many years together that we can tell practically what the other is thinking while sparring. Both of us have a high sensitivity to a change in circumstances, if a person moved, if a new element were introduced. You will see a lot of techniques where we set up for, but never do anything. Both of us have a tendency of leaving deliberate opening for the other to exploit, as a trap.

We are very close friends. Knowing, and being confident in the ability to harm each other... why would friends do so? Friends. He and I both trained in krav maga, which looks nothing like what we were doing. Wanton exchanges. Both of us understand that in a confrontation, there is no parrying. You bloody strike them in the neck, temple, groin, and you put them down within three techniques. This was sparring however, without the intent to hurt each other, and for apparently how sloppy we are, it does go to say that without any padding, neither of us received any injury from this.

Control, does not mean a lack of agression, or that we do not like to get hit.

Its like having two Defenders trying to be Defensive, whilst Sparring. It isnt a particularly good syllabus. Alot of the Kicks lack Power, and the Blocking can be a bit too evasive. Now, I know that to a degree, thats the point. But not when it means putting Yourself someplace where a better opponent could easily rush You as a result.

I can only speak for myself, I'd be happy to ask Alec why he was hanging back, if he was.

But then again, you can see for yourself how often I'll throw a kick, as if randomly in the air. It's to keep him back, so maybe there's a reason he's being wary. no reason to be kicked when not needed. Alec is also very injured from poorly training routines from instructors he has misfortunately had. Because of this he prefers to wait, and react. He hurts when he moves at all, and he is receiving therapy for it. But there's no need for him to make it worse unnecessarily.

If that is your opine, than so be it. What would a jack of all trade, or renaissance man be in Martial Arts? I have no answer, and as such, that is not my aspiration.

Please do not make assumptions. Alec has been unable to train since his knee injury. How he performed in this video was phenomenal to me considering all things. He has not had a good teacher in two years. When he 'trains' it is when we spar, and it shows that his abilities have stagnated, and it is something which has bothered him considerably
however, its clearly apparent that for the amount of time that you both claim to have trained, the skill IMO, doesnt reflect it.

There is a nigh complete lack of aggression. Its like having two Defenders trying to be Defensive, whilst Sparring. It isnt a particularly good syllabus. Alot of the Kicks lack Power, and the Blocking can be a bit too evasive. Now, I know that to a degree, thats the point. But not when it means putting Yourself someplace where a better opponent could easily rush You as a result.

Look closer. You'll see an Aikido posturing mixed with personalized stylization. You'll see shotokan sword hand while standing in a baguazhang stance. Look, instead of reporting what you don't see. I have no reason to lie to anyone on this forum.

If you take a look at , you'll notice a training bag in the background. That was mine, and it carried both of our gear. He stores his at mine house. We both opted, prior to sparring, not to use gear for a number of reasons. One, I like my friend, and going hard contact is unnecessary, when we both have in the past. Did you want to see a video of two friends, who are martial artists hospitalizing each other? Additionally, neither of us like using equipment apart from the mouthguard. The reason for this is that while gloves, and padding my remove contusions, scrapes, and cuts, they also instill an absolutely retarded mindset that harder contact should be initiated.

This is the exact reasons boxers can retire not from age, but from mental damaging. Because people think that pads make their hands safe enough they feel comfortable to exert, while not full force, enough to cause deep tissue damage (IN THE HEAD). Which is a pet peeve of mine. People need to stop worry about how pretty their faces look, when they're perfectly willing to brain each other in the name of safety.

I am amazed by how many people criticizing a lack of power, instead of noticing the degree of control. When he gets his strikes through my defense, he could clock me stupid. In the clip :50-:53 I dodge a strike from him, responding with a ridge hand TO THE BACK OF HIS HEAD, where the spine begins. Clipping that, even lightly can lead to death, and hence is why I held the technique from striking. Control, and one can still observe clearly the strike was clearly 'in'. You don't need force for a vital strike, at least not the kind being espoused on this forum. And notice that both of us were able to keep going afterward, no matter what hit made it through.

Honestly, I do not mind criticism. But virtually every post was critically negative, and some downright insultory. Some who said I dodge not at all, some saying I am too flighty. I posted a video to share, and receive positive feedback, not appraise, and instead it was torn to shreds, for every reason imaginable, some conflicting. I have one person who has acuses people who can't even defend themself because they've passed away, insulting my teachers. Which you have done, and I will not tolerate anytime you call their school a Mcdojo. If you feel that is the kind of martial artist I am, so be it. But disrespecting the people I learned from is not right, and you know that. I have people mistaking control for inability to hit, and even worse people who attack my background not because it is wrong, but because they have not heard of it, and the great God of google did not enlighten them.

I've had people who I cried over when they closed the doors to their schools tell me when my form was crap, and scream at me raw when I was wrong. It is not the criticism which bothers me, but the methodoligical vitriole it was carried out in. It seems that while there are decent martial artists on this forum, a lot, a very large amount, are very petty.

I already told you how to rectify the weakness , MOVE IN FOR FFS.

Stop poncing around on one leg.

Jam his kick , then move in and keep punching .
Deflect his punch , then move in and keep punching .

If he ponces around on one leg , charge in with your knee raised to protect your groin and midsection and hands protecting your head , then step down and keep punching.

Can you see a common theme here?
Go through him like a truck and keep him off balance and on the defensive.
The only reason you managed to not get bowled over is because that guy was unwilling to come into close range and keep pressing forward.
Staying out at long range just gives the guy more options in terms of the attacks that he can launch.

You don't have to smash each others heads in , but you have to show the intent to move into close range , anything thing else is just wasting energy and time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

To be honest, I really didn't see any strikes that were, IMO, capable of 'bowling' anyone over.

As I said in another post, better to make your mistakes and get your lumps in the dojo, than on the street. Put on a headgear, a mouth piece, and do some light/med. contact head shots. I remember boxing with one of my old Kenpo teachers. We traded numerous shots, both to the body and the head. We're still alive and walking today. :)

I'd wager a guess, its probably with the way that you initially came off. I've been on this forum for many years. I've had the chance to interact with many great, knowledgeable people, both in discussions on here, via PM, on the phone and in person. One thing that draws attention IMO, is when you see someone whos young, but claims to have trained in 10 different arts.

You asked for opinions, and you got them. Many people tend to not pull punches or sugar coat things.

Perhaps you're talking about Kyosho-jitsu. George Dillman perhaps?

Hmm...perhaps it was this:

"Training: I began training a week after turning four. I began with Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, and since have learned both WTF and ITF Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Oh Do Kwan, Shotokan, and Okinawan, Kenpo (American, Chinese, Japanese) elements of Jiujitsu and Aikido, in addition to Krav Maga, Shishi (lion-wolf) Baguazhang and acujutsu. I enjoy kick-boxing, boxing, and doing so drunkenly. I am an expert in Knife handling, am proficient with nunchaku, sai, katana, dao, Gim sword, escrima and baton. I'm alright with Bo staff, tonfa, and jo staff weilding. I'm 5'5 so I don't like big sticks ^^"

Again, I'd probably say it had to do with initial approach. And yes, in many cases, people with less time in training, could be wrong.

Sorry, I stand by what I said earlier, and I'm sure many here would agree....those strikes were sloppy at best.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not in the DC area. As for the contact...again, put some gear on.

Personally, I dont subscribe to the 1 shot, 1 kill mentality. Not saying it doesnt happen, it does, but I'm not relying on just 1 shot.

Umm...ok. Personally, that doesnt impress me. Why? Because you're going to be sacrificing power.

Why? We do continuous sparring in Kyokushin and we're getting hit and kicked, hard.

And as I said in another post...in the end, the people that I fight with, we're all friends at the end of the night. No hard feelings. We're all there to train, and we all understand the training is hard.

What would it be? Someone who jumps from one school to the next. Train at school A for 2 mos, then jump to school B, stay there for 9 mos, get a few belts, then move on to the next then the next, then the next, and so forth. Then you list that you 'trained' in said arts. IMO, thats not training, thats dabbling. That IMO, is a jack of all trades, master of none. Hey, like I said, I'm all for cross training. I do it myself. But I've also dedicated many years to the arts that I do, with the exception of the Kyokushin, which I have only been doing since last Aug.

IIRC, I dont think I was the only one who said that.

LOL..seriously? We wear limited gear when we spar. Again, we're all here, alive and walking around. It doesnt instill a retarded mindset. It gives one the opportunity to train hard, with some safety in mind. Again, better to get used to the contact in the dojo, than on the street and wonder, "Gee, WTF just happened?"

Clock you stupid? As I said, I didn't see anything that looked remotely like a quality shot. What I saw was a bunch of slapping and horrible kicking.

Control? Ok, if thats what you wanna call it. Would you like advice? Ok, heres my advice. Get yourself to a quality dojo. None of this mcdojo ****...a real school. Spend time making yourself better. It seems that you have a desire to learn. If so, then I'd suggest you slow down, and don't worry about trying to cram 50 things all at once. Great MAists werent created in a day. Years of HARD training, with alot of blood, sweat and tears. The arts involve contact. Get used to it. I'd suggest finding some quality schools in your area. Check them out, and pick one.

Good luck in your training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was much to respond to. There was also a lot not to. I'm assuming no one will read the full length. I wish there was a way to quote with the members name.

There is. If you're replying to just one persons post, click "Reply with quote." If you want to reply to numerous people all at the same time, right next to "Reply with quote" you'll see something that should look like this: "+ Thats the multi quote button. Click that, and you should see a check mark. Do that to each post that you want to reply to.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for offering the first comment which gives me constructive input to improve. By point out, how do you mean? With my toes, ball of foot, or in how far it is oriented when high kicking?

Foot pointed forward, toes pulled back, ball of foot connects "forward" and strikes through opponent's gut.

Unless I missunderstood what you mean by footwork, in any of that footage do you see successful trips or falls, or even stumbles? Even when forced back on one leg, I retain balance. After kicking, I return to, and transition to actual stances, and not just a singular fighting stance. I am confused as to what more could be asked for

You don't look like you're using a fighting stance, you look like you're stepping around. You look heavy on your feet and not comfortable sparring at all. And yes a good Judo player or wrestler is going to plant you on your back. There are also no "Judo stances" designed to avoid a foot sweep. There is extreme and slight right and left as well as neutral.

The hand movement is generate intertia. Oft when I kick, I will rotate my arm, transfering the kinetic momentum it was carrying to my leg, allowing for more force. I've found that the only way to actually keep my hip aligned, and my leg for multiple kicks on one leg, is if I actually fully execute the kick. For some reason the leg gives out the second I do a half kick.

It looks like theatrics to me, and I'd suggest your hands would be better served moving with you or protecting your face. Part of my job is coaching, which entails knowing kinetics and how to generate power, and that's not something I've ever seen to that end. furthermore, it's telegraphing your technique and leaving yourself open.

The end part, I thought I had rotated my hands so much might look neat with the effects. It is dubstep afterall haha.

Fair enough.

I would suggest though not to preach what is and what is not correct. Go put some gear on and spar with someone who is actually going to hit you and hit you hard, and then come back and talk to us. A Judo club, DZR dojo, Kyokushin dojo, Taekwondo dojang, any of those places will work.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Martial talk is alot more polite than say Bullshido. Alot of people are blunt and brutally honest sometimes the demeaner isn't the softest but its part of being a martial artist and not a beanie baby collector. I am reminded that if there is nothing positive about something than use that negative to turn into something contructive such as listening to the points given refining your skills examining things you may lack.

It is true that publishing anything opens oneself as you said, what gives me consternation is I expect martial to be of the kind of person, where there is fault, it is not derided, it is recognized, and politely corrected.

You won't agree with everyone and others will disagree with you, some people may be rude but you are in college I suppose you took a communications class and a psychology class so you understand.

Yes, I agree. I suppose I am just surprised to find it prevalently here where in martial arts politeness is stressed. It is not the negativeness I mind, it's the pointless negativeness. At least be constructive, y'know? If people here were to find out that I quit martial arts specifically because of how they phrased their comments, I question if they would keep them phrased such. BTW, I will never quit martial arts.

Stop poncing around on one leg.

I tend to 'pounce' when being forced back, with my leg raised. When my leg is raised, it tends to be to defend, or because I'm kicking. So you're telling me when I'm being pushed back, and retain my balance, and stability, that I should not attack?

Or maybe I shouldn't kick, so Alec would have no reason to charge me like that?

If he ponces around on one leg , charge in with your knee raised to protect your groin and midsection and hands protecting your head , then step down and keep punching.

Or I can advance with my guard up, and exploit the situation as it arises. You're strategy is woefully inefficient when you are much smaller than the person you are fighting. You are advising me to charge, instead of gain ground. That is absolutely ludicrous to tell someone with a body mass under 120.

And believe me, taking ground is not a difficulty. You can see multiple times both of us advancing and retaining our position.

To be honest, I really didn't see any strikes that were, IMO, capable of 'bowling' anyone over.

True, but you'd be surprised how often I'll have to step to the side to avoid that. Alec is called skinny at my house also, but there are much larger individuals out there who when they come at me, my only option is to move out of the way, and use a technique to retain control, defense and exploit offense.

"As I said in another post, better to make your mistakes and get your lumps in the dojo, than on the street. Put on a headgear, a mouth piece, and do some light/med. contact head shots. I remember boxing with one of my old Kenpo teachers. We traded numerous shots, both to the body and the head. We're still alive and walking today. :)"

Oh I'm not worried about being hit to the degree I'll go to all costs to avoid it. It's sparring, and I've been hit hundreds of times before. Hell, when I practice with beginners I let them get me in the face. I've had some people who avoided striking me at all costs when starting out of fear of hurting me. My solution, when I'm sure I wont regret it, is to put my face, or body deliberately in the path to get hit hard. They see im fine, they lose a bit of their hangup about striking.

Getting hit I don't mind, I have been, and will be. I think it's important to get hit squarely now and again, reminds you why you don't want to get hit when the real deal occurs.

I'd wager a guess, its probably with the way that you initially came off. I've been on this forum for many years. I've had the chance to interact with many great, knowledgeable people, both in discussions on here, via PM, on the phone and in person. One thing that draws attention IMO, is when you see someone whos young, but claims to have trained in 10 different arts.

Perhaps it is a generational difference. I know of few people I train with who don't have as many styles under their belt, or at least a fair many. I think the old days of adhering to one style is fading, and mixed martial arts is becoming the new norm.

"Training: I began training a week after turning four. I began with Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, and since have learned both WTF and ITF Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Oh Do Kwan, Shotokan, and Okinawan, Kenpo (American, Chinese, Japanese) elements of Jiujitsu and Aikido, in addition to Krav Maga, Shishi (lion-wolf) Baguazhang and acujutsu. I enjoy kick-boxing, boxing, and doing so drunkenly. I am an expert in Knife handling, am proficient with nunchaku, sai, katana, dao, Gim sword, escrima and baton. I'm alright with Bo staff, tonfa, and jo staff weilding. I'm 5'5 so I don't like big sticks ^^"

Please note the words. Proficient. PROFICIENT. The only thing I might say I am qualified to remotely possibly consider myself an expert in knives. And we aren't talking legendary work or ability. We're talking the ability to handle knives, understand how to defend oneself reasonably, and appraise quality of knives. Think Expert in the same sense an appraiser of guns or wine. The Chung Do Kwan school I hailed from had a strong emphasis on knives, they considered it the most practical of weapons as it can be implemented in most arts.

Sorry, I stand by what I said earlier, and I'm sure many here would agree....those strikes were sloppy at best.
I

I will concede that there is a single section where it appears sloppy, but the vast majority of techniques are executed properly, and when sloppy, are normally due to entanglement, jamming or interruption.

Personally, I dont subscribe to the 1 shot, 1 kill mentality. Not saying it doesnt happen, it does, but I'm not relying on just 1 shot.

You shouldn't ascribe to the kill policy at all. No one should rely on one strategy and completely expect the fight to end in one stroke... but it is a good standard to strive for. Krav Maga follows a rule of thumb of 3 move mitigation.

"Umm...ok. Personally, that doesnt impress me. Why? Because you're going to be sacrificing power.

Im not trying to impress you, and there is little reason for your kicks to lose power. If you watch the segment where I deliver 3 front-kicks you'll see each subsequent one is as strong as the first when the leg raised to reinforce it. I have no idea why you would sacrifice power... unless of course you don't practice multi-kicks on one leg often.

Why? We do continuous sparring in Kyokushin and we're getting hit and kicked, hard.

Yes, and at Khans, and TKD Academy Alec and I used to contuse each other silly. But after 5 years of that, we've found it much more enjoyable to spar without a kind of rivalry and just enjoy it. We've hurt each other before, we've proven points. We're past that, and just looking for a good time.

Im 22, and I have a long career of training ahead of me, if I'm lucky. I'll get my hard knox again, there's no need for me to do that to Alec, or for him to me

Train at school A for 2 mos, then jump to school B, stay there for 9 mos, get a few belts, then move on to the next then the next, then the next, and so forth. Then you list that you 'trained' in said arts. IMO, thats not training, thats dabbling. That IMO, is a jack of all trades, master of none.

The shortest time I've spent at any school is one year. And I left my teaching position at Mt.Kims because they were a McDojo.

LOL..seriously? We wear limited gear when we spar. Again, we're all here, alive and walking around. It doesnt instill a retarded mindset. It gives one the opportunity to train hard, with some safety in mind. Again, better to get used to the contact in the dojo, than on the street and wonder, "Gee, WTF just happened?"

When I went for my 1st Dan in Chung Do Kwan, during the 4 on 1 sparring my ribs were broken. We condition, or at least I do, everyday, without exception. We can take our knox, that doesn't necessitate us doing so over and over and over unnecessarily.

Clock you stupid? As I said, I didn't see anything that looked remotely like a quality shot. What I saw was a bunch of slapping and horrible kicking.

At 1:52 is a shot to my lymph nodes that if connected likely would have left that side of the body numb. He's pulling his punches, everytime one gets through.

If so, then I'd suggest you slow down, and don't worry about trying to cram 50 things all at once.

I do not practice everything at once. I stress working on specific techniques that are deteriorating, I work on upkeep, and I work innovation. Thank you for wishing me luck. I haven't learned everything, and practice with it in the sense of acquiring 10 books, and opening them all on the floor and reading at once. Some day's I will practice Chung Do Kwan style movements, forms, and techniques, others days kendo, and other days bagua. I'm currently teaching and not pursuing any new styles, at least until after I've enlisted and done my service.

You don't look like you're using a fighting stance

I understand more clearly now. There are many stances I use in fighting, but the one you'll find me most in is a variation of a bagua stance where instead of lowering my center of gravity I've kept it the same.

you look like you're stepping around. You look heavy on your feet and not comfortable sparring at all. And yes a good Judo player or wrestler is going to plant you on your back. There are also no "Judo stances" designed to avoid a foot sweep. There is extreme and slight right and left as well as neutral.

In baguazhang 'stepping around' is a meditative technique, applied toward combat. Have you ever seen wolves circle their prey, and the prey's response? Most people have never faced baguazhang, and so, find it incredibly confusing, and because the person is circling and not attacking, intimidating. I follow a tactic where I circle until I see definite response that is no longer static (most people on first being circled tighten as they are unsure as to what the heck is going on) The heavy footedness is also baguazhang, as the heavy treading movement builds momentum which can be transferred in combat.

It looks like theatrics to me, and I'd suggest your hands would be better served moving with you or protecting your face. Part of my job is coaching, which entails knowing kinetics and how to generate power, and that's not something I've ever seen to that end. furthermore, it's telegraphing your technique and leaving yourself open.

As pointed out, the rotation follows a Xingyi principle where sliding one arm past the other, in opposite directions, transmit force to the arm. Hence cannon fist and the like. The hand rotation both allows for manipulation of my center of gravity, in addition to additive force I can impart to a leg technique. I had feared it was telegraphing my techniques, but as another pointed out with the group I trained with when I expressed the concern, and why none had picked up on and exploited, one pointed out that I don't do it for one specific move, but sometimes every, sometimes not even when using a move. And at that point it's no longer telegraphing, because who knows, from the opposition's point of view, what is happening, or going to.

If you'll note, the arm which crosses by face keeps half of it protected when in default positioning, and not blocking. From the stance I keep in this, I actually manage to improve my defenses. It is just very foreign looking for what many are used to.

If you also notice from 5:20 to 5:22 is a hand rotation sequence where it clearly can be effectively utilized for defense, and with enough force to stop a thrusting kick and redirect it downward.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Took me a while to see the clip because it wouldn't play on the iPad. What can I say? With our sparring you are exhausted before two minutes. You guys played around for nine without raising a sweat. Your foot was caught at least six times a released by your mate. If you were sparring with us you would have been on the ground six times. Hanging a foot out like that is total BS. As to the reference to aikido .... no aikido techniques there, and it wasn't Okinawan karate because they don't use high kicks. It very much reminds me of my son and his mates playing around when they were kids. He got to green belt in Goju and did a little bit of WC, nothing too serious. I'd back him to take you down anytime.

My suggestion, put up any video you like but leave out the references to rank. It makes the clip a joke.

I just googled MMA sparring and took the first clip. These guys may not be the greatest but they are getting stuck in and working hard. They look like professionals compared to you.

If you are going to claim expertise then you should be able to show it. Third Dan level .... ??? Sorry.

Edit: Just thought to add about vital points. That's a load of crock. I train kyusho and it is close range stuff. Taking a shot at the lymph nodes???? I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Why? Because I trained with different styles, and switch between styles often.

Do us a favor, please, and break down your training and rankings. For example, I've been training in Bando for over 25 years. Along the way, I've been exposed to Tae Kwon Do as taught in the South Korean military academies, jujitsu (both Japanese & Brazilian), judo, Isshin-ryu Karate, a specific curriculum of Krav Maga, a couple of styles of kung fu including Hung Fut and paqua, and a few other things. Those exposures ranged from an afternoon to several weeks of training in the system. My "home" is Bando; it's the only art I have ranking in (3rd Level of Achievement, currently). The rest are things I've looked at or played with. I've researched others, especially the Takamatsuden arts, with the most emphasis being on Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

Otherwise... re-read your own posts. You've presented yourself as some sort of uber-master. "Rounding up" your experience You ain't. And if 4 schools have made you head instructor shortly after you joined... I question what's going on in those schools. Wanna share their names? Or maybe qualify that, like "head instructor of the 7:30 Tuesday little ninjas class."

Look, you're young. I am, quite literally, old enough to be your father. I've trained, in an adult setting, for longer than you've been alive. Not only that -- but I've used my training for real. Usually to stop things before they happen -- but I've been in a scrape or 10, too, that involved making people do what they didn't want to. As a youngster, you're cocky. That's rather to be expected. Let me try an analogy on you... What would you say about an NFL rookie quarterback who came into training camp, and tried to tell the veterans how to do their jobs? I mean, he's been playing football since he was 4 or 5, most likely, right? Probably went to college on a scholarship to play football, too... Lots of camps and specialized coaching over the years... But he doesn't have the pro football experience. He's learning to play the game at a whole new level. At 22, you're in the same boat. Your body is just settling and reaching the peak of its growth and pure physical capacity.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is true that publishing anything opens oneself as you said, what gives me consternation is I expect martial to be of the kind of person, where there is fault, it is not derided, it is recognized, and politely corrected.

Yes, I agree. I suppose I am just surprised to find it prevalently here where in martial arts politeness is stressed. It is not the negativeness I mind, it's the pointless negativeness. At least be constructive, y'know? If people here were to find out that I quit martial arts specifically because of how they phrased their comments, I question if they would keep them phrased such. BTW, I will never quit martial arts.

I tend to 'pounce' when being forced back, with my leg raised. When my leg is raised, it tends to be to defend, or because I'm kicking. So you're telling me when I'm being pushed back, and retain my balance, and stability, that I should not attack?

Or maybe I shouldn't kick, so Alec would have no reason to charge me like that?

Or I can advance with my guard up, and exploit the situation as it arises. You're strategy is woefully inefficient when you are much smaller than the person you are fighting. You are advising me to charge, instead of gain ground. That is absolutely ludicrous to tell someone with a body mass under 120.

And believe me, taking ground is not a difficulty. You can see multiple times both of us advancing and retaining our position.

True, but you'd be surprised how often I'll have to step to the side to avoid that. Alec is called skinny at my house also, but there are much larger individuals out there who when they come at me, my only option is to move out of the way, and use a technique to retain control, defense and exploit offense.

"As I said in another post, better to make your mistakes and get your lumps in the dojo, than on the street. Put on a headgear, a mouth piece, and do some light/med. contact head shots. I remember boxing with one of my old Kenpo teachers. We traded numerous shots, both to the body and the head. We're still alive and walking today. :)"

Oh I'm not worried about being hit to the degree I'll go to all costs to avoid it. It's sparring, and I've been hit hundreds of times before. Hell, when I practice with beginners I let them get me in the face. I've had some people who avoided striking me at all costs when starting out of fear of hurting me. My solution, when I'm sure I wont regret it, is to put my face, or body deliberately in the path to get hit hard. They see im fine, they lose a bit of their hangup about striking.

Getting hit I don't mind, I have been, and will be. I think it's important to get hit squarely now and again, reminds you why you don't want to get hit when the real deal occurs.

Perhaps it is a generational difference. I know of few people I train with who don't have as many styles under their belt, or at least a fair many. I think the old days of adhering to one style is fading, and mixed martial arts is becoming the new norm.

Please note the words. Proficient. PROFICIENT. The only thing I might say I am qualified to remotely possibly consider myself an expert in knives. And we aren't talking legendary work or ability. We're talking the ability to handle knives, understand how to defend oneself reasonably, and appraise quality of knives. Think Expert in the same sense an appraiser of guns or wine. The Chung Do Kwan school I hailed from had a strong emphasis on knives, they considered it the most practical of weapons as it can be implemented in most arts.

I

I will concede that there is a single section where it appears sloppy, but the vast majority of techniques are executed properly, and when sloppy, are normally due to entanglement, jamming or interruption.

You shouldn't ascribe to the kill policy at all. No one should rely on one strategy and completely expect the fight to end in one stroke... but it is a good standard to strive for. Krav Maga follows a rule of thumb of 3 move mitigation.

Im not trying to impress you, and there is little reason for your kicks to lose power. If you watch the segment where I deliver 3 front-kicks you'll see each subsequent one is as strong as the first when the leg raised to reinforce it. I have no idea why you would sacrifice power... unless of course you don't practice multi-kicks on one leg often.

Yes, and at Khans, and TKD Academy Alec and I used to contuse each other silly. But after 5 years of that, we've found it much more enjoyable to spar without a kind of rivalry and just enjoy it. We've hurt each other before, we've proven points. We're past that, and just looking for a good time.

Im 22, and I have a long career of training ahead of me, if I'm lucky. I'll get my hard knox again, there's no need for me to do that to Alec, or for him to me

The shortest time I've spent at any school is one year. And I left my teaching position at Mt.Kims because they were a McDojo.

When I went for my 1st Dan in Chung Do Kwan, during the 4 on 1 sparring my ribs were broken. We condition, or at least I do, everyday, without exception. We can take our knox, that doesn't necessitate us doing so over and over and over unnecessarily.

At 1:52 is a shot to my lymph nodes that if connected likely would have left that side of the body numb. He's pulling his punches, everytime one gets through.

I do not practice everything at once. I stress working on specific techniques that are deteriorating, I work on upkeep, and I work innovation. Thank you for wishing me luck. I haven't learned everything, and practice with it in the sense of acquiring 10 books, and opening them all on the floor and reading at once. Some day's I will practice Chung Do Kwan style movements, forms, and techniques, others days kendo, and other days bagua. I'm currently teaching and not pursuing any new styles, at least until after I've enlisted and done my service.

Alright forget it , you know everything , you go against the tactics that numerous Wing Chun men have used to defeat much larger men in real combat.
Your just starting to annoy me now , and for the record I am a small man who has trained with many large men and getting into close range is the only chance you have got.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see a lot of the issue...

(paraphrasing you because I don't feel like dissecting the thread, but I will if need arises... )

"We used judo & aikido footwork here..."
"I used a bagua stance here..."
"A vertical fist punch is Wing Chun or tell me what I'm missing..."

knox -- knocks ... that one is free.

If you could ever quit with the "I know..." position, stop with the 31 flavors of TKD, quit assuming because you take a posture largely out of context that you know what's going on (because that's about the way you sound), you stand a chance of learning around here. If not... well... it's hard & cold in the reality the rest of us call the world.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Throwing multiple kicks into empty air while your opponent stands more than two feet out of range isn't control - it's pointless posturing that will do nothing against a competent, aggressive opponent except give him an opening to enter and land hard shots on you or take you down.

The whole leaning your head away tendency is completely typical for folks who don't have experience in hard-contact sparring. It will get you knocked out if you do it against a skilled boxer.

There's nothing wrong with relaxed light-contact sparring. The problem with doing it if you have no experience in full-contact sparring is that it's easy for it to become a game of air tag with unrealistic distancing and bad form. Spend some serious time working with a good boxing or muay thai coach, do some full contact sparring, get in some practice time with a skilled wrestler who isn't afraid to shoot in against your flicky kicks and take you down - by the time you get done you'll have some much better technical habits even when you're doing light sparring.

As others have noted, it's entirely possible to do hard contact sparring safely and also stay friends with your sparring partners. I'm not a great striker or a super tough guy, but I've done hard contact sparring with guys who hit much harder than either of you. (I would recommend you get an experienced coach to guide you through the experience.)

You do seem to have some good natural coordination. I have no doubt that with the right coach and the right experience you could make some rapid progress. Good luck with your future training.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The criticism has largely been negative, and where I have felt undue because people didn't in certain cases even actually watch the video (one individual asks if I did Wing Chun at 3:00 minutes when clearly the arm is nowhere near an elbow. Another accuses me of erroneously reporting my past because they could not read the credits) I have explained movements to justify where they are incorrect. If I'm told I don't dodge, and I do, I will point it out. This video was not doctored to look better, save in that I played with the effects.

Alright forget it , you know everything , you go against the tactics that numerous Wing Chun men have used to defeat much larger men in real combat.

Why forget it. How about this, if a 400+ former linebacker (my roommate who is a juggalo, for example) were to charge at you and aim to take out your shins, would you A, jump over him as he is about to reach you? B, kick him (keeping in mind you, yourself are 5'4" and and hardly over 100 pounds. So you'll go flying no matter what) or C- Step out of the way, and let him go past? Or push him, letting him fall over?

and for the record I am a small man who has trained with many large men and getting into close range is the only chance you have got.

In my world, every man is larger, and most women of equal or near height. I agree that getting close is key, I don't really get a choice, and that is where our speed comes in handy. Being small also has many advantages.

Otherwise... re-read your own posts. You've presented yourself as some sort of uber-master.

Except at no point have I claimed cinnabar palm or iron fist. I've spoken about how I train, and my own background. I've been accused of self-titling myself a master more times than I care to recall counting, and I have yet to do it once on the forum.

"Rounding up" your experience You ain't.

I have rounded down as well. We could just ignore it altogether. Twenty years is a very short time, irrelevant compared to the art as a whole.

And if 4 schools have made you head instructor shortly after you joined... I question what's going on in those schools.

Define shortly? It took 8 for one school when I first became head instructor, 3 for Master Khan's Chung Do Kwan, 1 for Mt.Kim, which I promptly quit after a lack of quality in the fellow teaching staff.

If you guys are going to give your opinion- give me constructive advice. If you take issue with an aspect of my background, my personality, and/or age, I would prefer it be taken outside of this thread and to private. Make a Zenjael's a Fraud thread for all I care.

What I was hoping, in asking for opine's, were ways to improve the video, improve my technique. Not be told how much I suck, how people I greatly respect are essentially frauds who scammed me, and that I'm ego tripping.

Because I don't think I'm great, I'm just very into martial arts, and was hoping to share the love.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
T
Except at no point have I claimed cinnabar palm or iron fist. I've spoken about how I train, and my own background. I've been accused of self-titling myself a master more times than I care to recall counting, and I have yet to do it once on the forum.
I never said you claimed any title; I said you presented yourself that way. Your profile description alone conveys that; "...since have learned..." followed by a laundry list of different styles. Several of your comments in the thread ...time to reconsider some techniques? further that impression. Your thread about nobody wanting to spar you really adds to it, from the very first post.

It may not have been the intent -- but it is certainly the message you've sent.

Define shortly? It took 8 for one school when I first became head instructor, 3 for Master Khan's Chung Do Kwan, 1 for Mt.Kim, which I promptly quit after a lack of quality in the fellow teaching staff.
8 what? Classes? Weeks? Months? And which of Mt. Kim's dojangs where you at? While they have a huge commercial aspect focusing especially on the after school programs, I know that his adult programs at at least two of the dojangs are very solid. Having met Mt. Kim himself, I'd suggest differentiating between a handful of staff members and the entire program.
If you guys are going to give your opinion- give me constructive advice. If you take issue with an aspect of my background, my personality, and/or age, I would prefer it be taken outside of this thread and to private. Make a Zenjael's a Fraud thread for all I care.

What I was hoping, in asking for opine's, were ways to improve the video, improve my technique. Not be told how much I suck, how people I greatly respect are essentially frauds who scammed me, and that I'm ego tripping.

Because I don't think I'm great, I'm just very into martial arts, and was hoping to share the love.
Enthusiasm is great. Passion and drive are fantastic. But you need to temper that drive and passion a bit. There are numerous members here who have literally trained longer than you've been alive, who are recognized nationally or internationally within their own style and across styles. I'm going to suggest you compare some of your posts with those of ETinCYQX, who is around your age, running his own school.

Latest Discussions