Minimum time in grade requirements

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan is our seventh belt, after white, yellow, orange, green, blue and brown (we took the ranking system from Judo). It takes an average of seven years to reach black, so the average is a year per belt (though you'd probably do yellow in two or three months, but only test for black after two years on brown).

There are exceptions, of course. A really persistent student (talent and fast learning also play a role here) could probably reach black in less than five. An extreme case was a girl (!) who did white to black in two years eight months and like hell she deserved it.

OP
R

rainbows

I'm in ITF TKD, we have
white
yellow tag
yellow
green tag
green
blue tag
blue
red tag
red
black tag
1st dan black, and so on...
My club doesn't have a set minimum time in grade. Gradings are on 4 times a year, the head of the organisation does all the gradings. Average in my club is about 4 years, with some students making it in the minimum time of 2 years 9 months. (I'm going to be one of those when I grade for 1st dan on April 17, fingers crossed :) ). Back when I did kenpo, the gradings were spaced much further apart with a minimum 8 months in grade after green belt (4th kyu). It took me 5 years 4 months to get my kenpo junior black belt.

OP
M

Martial_Maniac

There are 12 belts prior to black belt and then 10 after 1st black. Great GRandmaster has his own belt (gold and red). Here's a link: http://www.shaolinkenpo.com/faqs.htm. They say it typically takes about 5-6-months to earn a new belt, but it took me only three to get a new belt.