Minimum time in grade requirements

A

A.R.K.

Since we have an excellent resourse here to multiple disciplines, I would like to put forth the following questions...

How many pre-black belt [or equivelent] levels/belts are in your style/system?

What are they?

How long [in general] from one to the next?

How long [general] from beginning level to Black belt [or equivelent] considering a serious student?

Based on average amount of days training per week?

What is the minimum time in grade requirement from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc?

Are their age requirements on any of the levels?

Be interesting to compare the contrasts from one to the next.

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About 10 levels below and above black, three years training and sixteen years living for black belt. (These rules can be waived in extenuating circumstances.) Of course, the expectation is that typically one would take more than three years to reach black belt.

OP
C

chufeng

There are 8 levels below black sash...
2 levels at each rank...Yellow, Blue, Green, Brown...

There are 5 levels of black sash...

Three master levels (red sash)...

Our old system of ranking was beginner (no sash), junior (white sash), intermediate (yellow sash), advanced (blue sash), senior (black sash), and master (red sash) Each level (other than beginner) had three sub-levels.

Time in rank??? no requirement...
Many folks would train through the levels until they were ready for the next sash color and then test...no problem...if they met the standard, they got promoted...if not, oh well !!!

I even knew one guy who was a white sash under the old system who tested for his blue sash at the third level...and passed.

I've known folks who learned a ton of stuff, but refused to test...
They were perpetual white sashes...

Typically, however, the color of sash indicated what system the student was currently focusing on...

White sash=XingYi
Yellow sash=TaiJi
Blue sash=PaKua
Black sash=synthesis

Later (now) the belts changed to reflect the change in how the system was taught...

White belt=Basic stuff
Yellow sash=BaiXing
Blue sash=XingYi
Greensash=TaiJi
Brown sash=BaGua
Black sash=synthesis & weapons
Red sash= full assimilation of the system and an integration of the philosophy into one's everyday activities.

Still no time in grade requirement...because YiLiQuan is not a system learned in a short period of time...and instructors will not promote before the student is ready...

chufeng

OP
M

MountainSage

In my chosen form of WTF TKD there are 12 grades and 10 dans. The average time to 1st Dan is four years. Each Dan level time is the number of that Dan, ie you are a 1st for two years, 2nd 3 years etc. We train 3 days per week for total 5 hours per week. Age 16 for 1st Dan.

Mountain Sage

OP
D

Despairbear

In my dojo there are 6 ranks from beginner to teaching rank (BB) and it takes about 6-10 years to reach BB.

Their are a certin number of hours of training required to be able to test for the next rank but a vast majority of peope reach the hour requirements long before their skill is up to the level where they are allowed to test.

Despair Bear

OP
A

A.R.K.

Very good input. Interesting to contrast the differences.

Chufeng, I'm I correct that originally Yili used sash and now they use belts? If so, what was the reason for the change?

Mountainsage,

In my chosen form of WTF TKD there are 12 grades and 10 dans. The average time to 1st Dan is four years. Each Dan level time is the number of that Dan, ie you are a 1st for two years, 2nd 3 years etc. We train 3 days per week for total 5 hours per week. Age 16 for 1st Dan.

This is similar to what I've generally seen. Looking at it, and considering a problem free rise thru the rank structure, an individual could be 6th or 7th Dan in their 30's. Is there any other type of restriction such as age requirements for any certain rank?

For example I know Ric Martin as he's local. He is [I think] 8th Dan [maybe 7th] and I would put him at around his mid 40's. Promoted by eiher Kanie or Kammie himself in Okinawa. How would this compare with other style requirements or lack thereof?

Thanks.

OP
C

chufeng

We changed to belts because they stayed tied...sashes are made of satin (or something like it) and are a b!tch to keep tied, especially when working in close.

Belts are more durable, cheaper, more efficient...

The raeson for the belt/sash is to provide feedback on your breathing...at upper levels, they probably aren't needed.

;asian:
chufeng

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would add that us Yili folks don't always wear our belts the way other folks do...

I take the "tails" of the belt and tuck them into/under the sides of the belt, hiding them and keeping them from getting snagged on anything. Wearing the belt this way feels to me to reinforce through its thickness the pressue it keeps on the dantien, thereby enhancing the effect on the breathing.

Gambarimasu.

OP
J

Jill666

I've seen a few tuck in the ends to keep them out of the way.

Would a Yili practitioner then wear a sash for demonstration purposes, or is the belt in regardless of venue?

In my dojo there isn't a set minimum, but it takes an average of 5-6 years to reach black for adults. My training partner made it in four, he joined almost two years after me. I took almost six.

It varies depending on skilll level. It took me longer than average to test through the first few belts, then once I hit brown it took less time. My partner had previously been wrestling all-state, then a marine. Being physically adept he blew through the first few ranks, then slowed up a bit.

I've seen a couple of men insist they were ready to test, it had been six months, blah, blah. Finally they were allowed to test, and did not pass. Why would someone be so stupid? What does it matter how long it takes?

Yellow, Orange, Purple, Blue, Green, Brown, Black

Blue & Green have one stripe to earn, Brown has three.

Sometimes I like the belt as it keeps everything together, except sometimes it becomes yet another piece of clothing that gets horribly disarranged while fighting.

OP
M

MountainSage

ARK,
I was typing quickly and didn't give all the details. There are age requirements in the dan ranks in TKD also. If I remember correctly, a fifth dan,Master must be a minimum of 35 years old. Their age requirements on higher Dan, but I just do remember. I am old enough that the requirmements will not be a problem for me.

Mountain Sage

OP
C

chufeng

Yes, Jill, for ceremonies and things, the sash is still worn...
I've actually come up with a compromise between the two...an extra wide Japanese type belt with velcro...has the width of a sash but more of the feel of the Japanese type belt.

Interestingly, if you look at old pictures of Kodokan Judo, the practitioners are wearing sashes, not the typical obi that we see today. I guess Professor Kano saw a need for a more practical belt, as well.

chufeng

OP
A

A.R.K.

Chufeng,

Where do you obtain the extra wide belts from? What is there cost?

OP
C

chufeng

ARK,

I can't remember the actual place I ordered them from, but you can do like I did and go from on-line martial arts stores...look under "specialty" belts.

The velcro I stitched on myself...you'd best have a heavy duty sewing machine and needle...very thick fabric.

Sifu Starr used to order similar styled belts that were a bit thinner material (easier tosew velcro onto) but still as wide. I think the company he ordered from went out of business.

I'm not sure why you'd need this type of belt, though...you didn't use a sash system when you were awarding rank did you?

chufeng

OP
A

A.R.K.

Actually I wasn't thinking of it for our use, but I know a Chinese arts practitioner/instructor in the next county over. I thought the information might be useful to him. Thanks.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interestingly, I believe Yilisifu first saw the sash/belts being worn by Shuai Chiao practitioners...

They wear a sash-like belt and a distinctively karate-esque jacket.

I have to say that of all my uniforms and accoutrements, my plain, unadorned black belt is my favoritef among them all. Plenty of uses, plenty of purpose, plenty of meaning, all in one simple length of folded cloth.

Gambarimasu.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
thepanjr said:
dunno:shrug:

Sometimes, no response is better than a I don't know. Non-contributory if you know what I mean. TW

OP
R

redcdiver

My daughter studies American Kenpo. In her school there are not that many adults that have seriously studied and already achieved black belt. Most of the adult black belts at the school started out as children and were subject to attending when parents could bring them. In the last 1 1/2-2 years there have been a number of serious adults that have begun training.

There are eight levels before black belt (not including white). They are yellow, orange, purple, blue, green and brown (3 levels). I would estimate that on average, a serious adult student would increase rank about every 4 months. This being the case, they would achieve black belts in about 3 1/2- 4 years.
This would generally involve training 4-5 days/week; 1- 1 1/2 hours/day.

There is no minimum age to get a black belt. We currently have a 12 y/o & a 13 y/o who are the most proficient kenpoists of all the black belts, with the exception of the owner/instructor and 2-3 of his assistant instructors. Also there is an 11 year old that is getting ready to test for adult black belt. These 3 children's knowledge and performance of techniques is a model for the rest of the school (adults included).

Mark

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mark, I see that this was your first post. Welcome to Martial Talk. Please enjoy your stay! If you have any questions, a staff member would be more than happy to assist you. Help yourself to the board, and, happy posting! :asian:

OP
R

redcdiver

Flatlander said:
Mark, I see that this was your first post. Welcome to Martial Talk. Please enjoy your stay! If you have any questions, a staff member would be more than happy to assist you. Help yourself to the board, and, happy posting! :asian:
Thanks,

Mark

Latest Discussions