Meeting your instructor in the street

Sam said:
I had to look that up.

Anyway, my intructor's married...to a model.

It'd never happen.

Ah to be young again and know how the world runs. it must be great.

Sam I used to have a saying when I was a younger man. "I will grow old but I will never grow up." Then one day I accidentally grew up.

OFK was just kidding as was I.

I am sure instructor is a upstanding individual.
A man can be married to the most beautiful woman in the world but she is still a woman and he is still a man.

V/R

Rick

Maybe my opinion is a little old fashioned,but in light of that the question it's a matter of respect. Do you call your school teacher,priest,reverend,mayor or President by their first name? Is'nt your instructor a teacher.For that matter weren't your parents,grandparents,aunts and uncles the same,yet you woudn't call them by their first name,would you? Respect is earned not implied and don't they deserve respect if warrented? Just a thought.

times are a-changing.

I had more than one teacher in high school (which technically I should still be in) who we could call by their first name

and many more in college, now.

Sam said:
times are a-changing.

I had more than one teacher in high school (which technically I should still be in) who we could call by their first name

and many more in college, now.

Oh, my goodness. When I was in school, calling a teacher or administrator by their first name would likely put you before the "board" of education. I liked college better. :)

Sam said:
times are a-changing.

I had more than one teacher in high school (which technically I should still be in)

You'll learn more in your college classes. I left high school after my junior year and went to the university instead. Better textbooks, more material covered, and no detention for cutting class.

i have many profs i call by first name, and when i was in high school i had a few but it not as common as college

When I taught in California many students would assume (incorrectly) they could call me by my first name, but on the East Coast everyone would use Dr. So-and-So. It's a cultural thing!

arnisador said:
When I taught in California many students would assume (incorrectly) they could call me by my first name, but on the East Coast everyone would use Dr. So-and-So. It's a cultural thing!

I can see that.

Like I said, in class or on school grounds it was Dr or Professor. Even the beer drinking "Bud Man - Lab Coat" Chem instructor I had was Dr in the bar, as we referred to that as the extension lab. ;) Had to do lots of research.

Yet, in a store or what have you, it depends upon the relationship. If it is jsut a teaching relations at a university, I would call them Dr or Mr(s) *lastname* and move on. For an instructor of Martial Arts, that I did not train with, even if I knew their Rank and or Title, I woudl call them Mr(s) *lastname* as well. If they were friends then it was first name basis.

Part of this is because, I do not want to draw attention to their rank or title in a public place, in case they are practicing their own self defense of not advertising who they are.

I have a friend from High School, I walked into his place, and asked for him by first name. This person looked at me like I as crazy there was no one there with that name. So I said first and last name, and then they said oh you mean, "Master *lastname*". I smiled and said, "Yes, and I apologize for not being clear." My friend was not upset, he just smiled. Most of his students only knew him by his martial arts rank and title.

No harm no foul.

So I think it depends upon the relationship you have with the instructor.

arnisador said:

Good for you! Respect doesn't cost anything and I think that it would be great if we could return to some of the formality and courtesy that we had in the 1950's while yet retaining the advances made against race and sexual discrimination.

Some yes but not all I think it was a little over done at times back then. Still I bow to my old instructor if and when I see him and I don't care where i am.

I still call my grad school mentor, "Dr Tuttle", even tho he signs his emails, "Bob". I asked him once if he wanted me to lighten up & call him Bob. I got no response.:) I think it was an oversight...it was a long email.

There were a lot of profs. we called by their 1st names. And a few that it would never occur to us to do so...Cuz we all respected them too much. (Regardless if they would have said it was ok.)

Around here, everyone calls their instructors by whatever they want to be called. Either they tell you, or you ask, or you assume. Again- cultural thing? I'm not very close to a "big city"- except for DC, etc., and there are a lot of commuters. Basically I live in a DC "bedroom" community.

tshadowchaser said:
Some yes but not all I think it was a little over done at times back then. Still I bow to my old instructor if and when I see him and I don't care where i am.

Perhaps we need a comfortable middle? Something between the super formality of the 40's and 50's and today's wearing of pants without belts that need to be pulled up about 8 inches, and greetings to elders such as Yo, Bob, what's kickin'?

Jonathan Randall said:
Perhaps we need a comfortable middle? Something between the super formality of the 40's and 50's and today's wearing of pants without belts that need to be pulled up about 8 inches, and greetings to elders such as Yo, Bob, what's kickin'?

For myself, I would rather start polite/formal and be asked to be more casual than start too casual - few people are offended by courtesy, but once someone has been addressed in a familiar manner, it can be hard to for them to ask for a more formal address, and often embarrassing.

I agree- it's best to start a bit more formal and change it if told different.

My Instructor and I Call each other by our first Names, Outside of the School or Even in the School.

Me and my Master have a obi-wan/anakin thing going on so I always call him Master in and out of class.
Hell we even hit a bar and stuff like that together. *no homo*
I was his only adult student for a long time when he first opened up his business so it is more of a big brother lil brother type of thing.
There is respect on both parts.

One or my instructors was talking about a couple of thing in class (I think the subject was respect, but not sure) and mentioned in passing that we should refer to him by his last name, not by his first name. We also had a lot of teens in class that day, which was probably why he mentioned it.

I'd generally prefer to be too formal rather than too casual.

Latest Discussions

Back