Meeting your instructor in the street

I had the advantage in that my sensei was also my high school social studies teacher. I started martial arts at 15 but had already had him for regular classes for 2 years.

So, referring to him as "Mr. __" was already the norm, even outside of school. After a short while though, I sometimes had to stop before I spoke in my social studies class so as not to call him "sensei".

Navarre said:
I had the advantage in that my sensei was also my high school social studies teacher. I started martial arts at 15 but had already had him for regular classes for 2 years.

So, referring to him as "Mr. __" was already the norm, even outside of school. After a short while though, I sometimes had to stop before I spoke in my social studies class so as not to call him "sensei".

WOW!

That's cool. I am actually thinking about doing the same thing - becoming a middle school or high school teacher while teaching at my studio. ( the latter which wont happen for another 2 years or so, and the former, more like 6, but still.)

Sam, I think that's wonderful. I also have a degree to teach grades 5-college but fate took me in a different direction.

I think many of the qualities that make us true martial artists also lend themselves to teaching in general. The development of self, refusal to accept boundaries, and ability to alter perspective to approach a situation with confidence are all abilities young people need.

My sensei, in his role as my social studies teacher, was the very first person to regard me as a vital human being. After 13 years of being hated by those who were obligated to raise me, friendless and alone, he spoke to me with dignity and a keen perception.

It took me 2 years of fighting with those who raised me to pay the $10 a month (yeah, that's right; they didn't want to part with 10 dollars for me) to allow me to take karate. I wanted to work a job or something to get the money but they refused that too and I was too beaten down at that point to fight for anything.

But, from the very first class I knew I had found a family at last. If I had not had the encouragement of my social studies teacher I never would have him as my sensei and my life would have been so terribly dark and different.

If you are dedicated to being a true teacher, not of lesson plans but of life's lesson, then you are a wonderful person. I hope you too can reach many young people in your lifetime and make their world a better place too.

Navarre said:
Sam, I think that's wonderful. I also have a degree to teach grades 5-college but fate took me in a different direction.

I think many of the qualities that make us true martial artists also lend themselves to teaching in general. The development of self, refusal to accept boundaries, and ability to alter perspective to approach a situation with confidence are all abilities young people need.

My sensei, in his role as my social studies teacher, was the very first person to regard me as a vital human being. After 13 years of being hated by those who were obligated to raise me, friendless and alone, he spoke to me with dignity and a keen perception.

It took me 2 years of fighting with those who raised me to pay the $10 a month (yeah, that's right; they didn't want to part with 10 dollars for me) to allow me to take karate. I wanted to work a job or something to get the money but they refused that too and I was too beaten down at that point to fight for anything.

But, from the very first class I knew I had found a family at last. If I had not had the encouragement of my social studies teacher I never would have him as my sensei and my life would have been so terribly dark and different.

If you are dedicated to being a true teacher, not of lesson plans but of life's lesson, then you are a wonderful person. I hope you too can reach many young people in your lifetime and make their world a better place too.

Navarre, that's a great story. It's so good when I hear people who had a hard childhood feel a sense of responsibility to help others as a result of their own experiences. Too many see it as license for their own bad behavior. I'd rep. you, but I'm maxed out!

Thank you, Jonathan. I'm only providing my own perspective, perhaps not that different from others here who are less inclined to open up so easily.

I have many times pondered on where my life might have gone without martial arts as my guide. At best I would have remained in the dead world, never seeking to push beyond the emotional limits instilled into me by my "family".

But, I've said elsewhere, I've often felt that the martial arts found me not the other way around. I think there is something inside of the true martial artist that refuses to accept mental defeat. Although the Art cultivates that skill, perhaps the innate power within us would invariably draw us toward a brighter destiny.

In any event, I owe my life and quality thereof, to martial arts and my sensei. I have never forgotten that. I work hard every day to open the world for all around me by exhibiting all the spirit I have gained from my training.

Thanks again. Sorry to digress from the topic.

Yeah, let me try and get back on track.

I don't prefer that my students refer to me as "sensei" out of the dojo. In the dojo it is part of the training to form a disciplined mind and a cohesive class.

Beyond that, I don't need the title to let me know what I have or have not achieved. I am a unique individual, beyond a simple title. I prefer to be addressed as one by those in my true family.

Of course I understand why others may see it differently. It truly is a matter of your instructor's preference.

Heck, I don't even really know what to call the older instructor in class so I don't address him by anything (I wonder if he notices this). I was told by other students NOT to call him sensei, that he does not like it, so I don't go there. If I saw him on the street I would say Hi, as I address people I know from the bingo hall and such. I should actually go out on a limb and ask him how he thinks he should be addressed. He seems to be pretty easygoing so probably would not want any "Your Highness" type greeting anyway.

The younger one (younger of the 2 anyway- he is the same age as me) is the one who instructs myself and my daughter most of the time...I address him with his first name and so do all the other students.
His personality allows for this, I think, he is extremely easy for me to talk with and I certainly don't say that often about anybody, I am the most bashful person in the universe. I can joke around with him, talk football and TV shows, and have even pulled minor pranks on him (paid for one of those just today with many sit-ups though).

I have actually run into him a couple of times outside of the dojo and just talked to him like any other acquaintance, actually come to think of it he was rather sarcastic both times, he knows thats what I like...I think, heh heh.

I thought I would add an interesting twist to this...My Sensei is also my Pastor so I see him frequently in capacaties other than class. I simply call him Sir or Pastor when in Church and Shihan when I am in class. I am found that to shake hands and lock eyes it's difficutl to describe but I simply shake hands and that mutual respect is there and we both know it.

tkdgirl said:
I'm not really a beginner, but I thought this is as good of a place to ask as any. What is the norm in the way of showing respect to your instructor when you just run into them on the street? This happened to me the other day while going to a restaurant- he seemed fine with shaking hands, but someone said in a book, to bow, like you're in class. I know I've had the tendency to bow just because it was habit. I'm curious on what everyone around has to say about it.
When I meet other martial artists, or instructors in public, I shake hands with them while putting my left hand on the top of my forearm. This shows them respect as a martial artist, and keeps low profile. I will not bow in public because that brings alot of unwanted attension to the encounter.
Its always best to conceal your martial arts knowledge if you can, the instructor realizes this.

autumn1973 said:
Heck, I don't even really know what to call the older instructor in class so I don't address him by anything (I wonder if he notices this). I was told by other students NOT to call him sensei, that he does not like it, so I don't go there. If I saw him on the street I would say Hi, as I address people I know from the bingo hall and such. I should actually go out on a limb and ask him how he thinks he should be addressed. He seems to be pretty easygoing so probably would not want any "Your Highness" type greeting anyway.

You should definitely ask your head instructor on how he should be addressed by the students. Personally, I like knowing the "name", and not going around saying (so to speak) "hey you, so-n-so..." I feel weird doing that.

tkdgirl said:
I'm not really a beginner, but I thought this is as good of a place to ask as any. What is the norm in the way of showing respect to your instructor when you just run into them on the street? This happened to me the other day while going to a restaurant- he seemed fine with shaking hands, but someone said in a book, to bow, like you're in class. I know I've had the tendency to bow just because it was habit. I'm curious on what everyone around has to say about it.

You need to show them the respect they expect. That means if you call them Master in the studio, call them master on the street. I would ask him/her what they expect. My instructor is "Master Pierce" to me.....though I've known him for 21+ years.......and is "Jack" to my parents, and will be known as Grandmaster to my son. I think it's up to the instructors them selves.......ask them.

Master Fluffy

DeLamar.J said:
When I meet other martial artists, or instructors in public, I shake hands with them while putting my left hand on the top of my forearm. This shows them respect as a martial artist, and keeps low profile. I will not bow in public because that brings alot of unwanted attension to the encounter.
Its always best to conceal your martial arts knowledge if you can, the instructor realizes this.

Whoa! Your art has a secret handshake!?!

This actually happened to me last week. He said, "Hey Sam!!"

And I said, "Hey Dan!" (we were across the parking lot from each other)

It would have been weird to shout "Hello Honorable Sensei!" across the Kinko's/Fedex parking lot. Actually, it would be weird for me to say that to him at all, unless I was joking around.

Happened to me too about 2 weeks ago in the Wal*Mart parking lot. Except it was actually my Iaijutsu teacher's teacher. I probably would have taken a beating if I'd have called him Sensei instead of Jeff.

Frank

In EPAK, Mr. Parker laid out in Infinite Insights that all instructors are to be adressed as Sir/Ma'am or Mr./Mrs./Ms. <surname>. I hold to that tradition. When a student of mine has developped a personal relationship outside of the studio, I allow them the use of my given name outside of the studio.

Latest Discussions

Back