• Left with some techniques, right with others

• my legs are equally skilled

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm right legged for all my kicks. (So far). It's still so awkward for me to kick with my left leg. I look like an idiot when I try it. It just don't work!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My techniques with my left leg are getting better; but, it still feels ungainly to kick from that side.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can do side cutting kicks with ease with my left leg, front spear kicks well with the right. Switch them up and I look like a lame duck on both. I also have a problem with a left-leg rooted monkey stance but perform and hold them with ease when all the weight is on my right.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My left leg has greater range and flexibility. My right has greater power. Which I use depends on what I want to do.

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Left leg only works in a linear fashion unless I am attacking a target about 4 inches off the ground. Try to make it do a roundhouse or sidekick and you'll get my impression of an excited dog on a newly waxed floor.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am left legged but have been finding it easier to switch as time goes on and I am forced to practice with the other leg. I find my right leg slower, less power in it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I train both legs equal, but of course, depending on what I'm doing, one may be slightly better than the other.

Mike

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I train both legs equal, but of course, depending on what I'm doing, one may be slightly better than the other.

Mike

Same for me, although it took a long time to get there. I still have more power and fluidity in my right leg for some of the more elaborate kicks (ex. jump spin reverse crescent), but the usefulness of those (for me) is restricted to forms.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the technique. I'm right-handed, FWIW.

For front kicks, side kicks, round kicks, or back kicks, they are equally good, overall. The right is a bit stronger, the left is a bit faster, but the difference isn't that great.

Left leg is better with the following:

Spinning side kick
Spinning hook kick
Spinning back kick
Sweeps

Right leg is better with the following:

Crescent kick (both types)
Standing hook kick
Spinning crescent kick (both types, whether just spinning or jumping and spinning)
Jumping front kick
Jumping spinning side kick

Even though I can still do all of the above "handed" (footed?) kicks with both legs, there is a good bit more of a noticeable difference when using different legs. I hope to iron out these imbalances one day.

This also carries over to the legwork in some kata, such as Empi / Wanshu, where a 360 degree jump and spin is performed. I can make this jump with no problem, since it goes counter-clockwise. I tried doing this in reverse, and even with much practice, I still can't quite hit it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm naturally right legged but that means that with a strong right legas a base thart some of my left-legged kicks are better, or at least easier and more comfortable to throw. I think most of my right legged kicks are a stronger to some degree but I can often get more height and better form on some of my left leg kicks

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a big kicker to begin with, so my right side tends to have more power behind it, but I think my left side has better form.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to be a righty, then a lefty. After taking up TKD I am ambidextrous.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My legs are pretty equal as far as kicks, knees, blocks, footwork etc. Now my hands.....thats another story altogether!! Left side = pew!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm "both legged" for the most part; however, I am more flexible in my left leg than my right when it comes to crescent kicks.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
there should be an "other" option.

I am left handed (and legged) naturally, and we do an equal number of each drill off both sides, but I fight 10x as many fights right side forward as I do left side forward, because I feel more comfortable in a closed stance, and most people prefer their right.

In the end I prefer to kick with my right leg, because that means I am balancing on my left. When I kick with the left leg, I can kick about 4-7 inches higher, but I kick above my head level either way. My balance isnt as good when I kick with my left leg though. I originally preferred the left, but since I fight right side forward all the time I am better that side forward.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My left leg has a tendency (thanks to my first exposure) as a jabbing leg, quick roundhouse, etc. My right leg like to be the power leg

sandan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Both my liegs are equally skilled in that they both suck. I primarily just use them defensively and to push someone off my line. I really use them to set up my hands. Now in street action. I would be more inclined to kick targets below the belt.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how to answer this.......When I started, my right leg was always a bit stronger than the left, however, 9 years later, I blew out my right leg which required surgery and a year of rehab. Now, 10 years after surgery, I still prefer to kick with my "bad", right leg as my "better" or more accurate leg........though I've been told (by partners in class) that my left leg feels stronger when I am kicking focus bags and they usually guess that that one is my dominant leg. So.........I guess maybe I am in the "Other" category too.......