Meeting your instructor in the street

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not really a beginner, but I thought this is as good of a place to ask as any. What is the norm in the way of showing respect to your instructor when you just run into them on the street? This happened to me the other day while going to a restaurant- he seemed fine with shaking hands, but someone said in a book, to bow, like you're in class. I know I've had the tendency to bow just because it was habit. I'm curious on what everyone around has to say about it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question. I'm curious to see other replies. I don't have a good one myself. I only ran into my instructor once outside of class. We have a pretty good relationship in class so we just greeted each other as friends except I still would have a hard time calling him by his name outside of class because I'm so used to addressing him as Sifu.

However, I was in a store shortly after I started MA and saw a couple high ranked students from another location of our school there. They subtley hand saluted and nodded to each other.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Good question. I'm curious to see other replies. I don't have a good one myself. I only ran into my instructor once outside of class. We have a pretty good relationship in class so we just greeted each other as friends except I still would have a hard time calling him by his name outside of class because I'm so used to addressing him as Sifu.

However, I was in a store shortly after I started MA and saw a couple high ranked students from another location of our school there. They subtley hand saluted and nodded to each other.
i met my instructor online he was like stop calling me "Sir" we're out of class

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It all depends on your instructor and how he teaches. Some are stricter than others on these aspects.

7sm

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty informally, outside of class they're just people like me or you, however, there's nothing wrong with referring to anybody as sir or ma'am just out of politeness...

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally I'd just say "hi, how you doing?". My instructor doesn't have us saying sir or bowing to him or anything like that. After class we all usually go for a drink together and talk rubbish about films, computer games, women and stuff like that. It doesn't make me respect him less as a martial artist or anything, i prefer it this way than having him acting like a superior being!

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you should be able to talk to your instructor outside of class the same way you would speak to any other acquaintance.
i think it is a ridiculous display of ego when a martial arts teacher wants to be referred to as sensei or master outside of class, yes, this does happen.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
i think it is a ridiculous display of ego when a martial arts teacher wants to be referred to as sensei or master outside of class, yes, this does happen.

LOL! I agree. Hard to believe that actually happens but I know it does. Thank God I haven't run across anyone like that personally.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grant it, but its not only that type of situation. There are those who refer to their instructor in this way of their own accord desiring to show respect.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Grant it, but its not only that type of situation. There are those who refer to their instructor in this way of their own accord desiring to show respect.

Yeah but that's different than being required to do it. Choosing to do it should make the repect of the action much more meaningful to the instructor greeted that way than to one who demands it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
We are pretty informal, and all the instructors at the school are pretty close so it would just a "Hi Jim" situation. If it was in the summertime I would probably make fun of his shorts, but thats another story. ;)

Lamont

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been an instructor and school owner for better than 15 years and the only thing I have ever asked my students to call me is by my name. I do ask the youth to refer to me as Mr. or Sir only to enforce a protocol of courtesy to all adults. As to the other instructors in the training center they are referred to as Sifu or Guro within the confines of the school or at martial art events only. Most all of the members of our school do refer to me as Sifu however I have never asked for or require it. When asked as to what my title is or how am I to be called I simply say my name is Danny. Respect is given once I earn it. Courtesy is returned after I give it, never required or expected. I find it very amusing that someone would require another to give them respect before requiring it from themselves first and then earning from others.

When out of the school I have always refered to my instructors as Sir, or Mister. I have had only one who required his students to refer to him by title outside of the school yet I always refer to him as Sir as he always refer to me. Never called me by name only "Sir". I returned the same. Other than he all of my other instructors call me by name and I always refered to them as Sir or Mister outside of the martial art arena.

Danny Terrell
Progressive Martial Arts Training Center

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Usually my instructors greet me with a big hug outside of class:). Not caught up in all "stuff" and their egos at all, plus it helps that I'm older than one of my instructors and the other I've know for 20 years as a friend and instructor.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This aint feudal Japan....outside the scope of class he/she is just another person. Common courtesy and politeness is all thats required IMHO.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it's mostly a matter of the student's choice. Nobody is going to think it is weird that you use formal traditions and show respect for a superior rank. But on the othe hand, no instructor is ever going to get mad at you for speaking to him as a normal human being that puts his pants on in the morning like everyone else.

Common courtesy and politeness is all thats required IMHO.

What he said, it's all that's required, maybe not all that's requested but hopefully not all that's received.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
During our class, we are expected to show respect- say sir, mam, master... Outside of class, it's real relaxed for us. They ask us any question your friend you've had for a while would ask.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I call my instructor my teacher, because he does much miore than instruct - but some people say that's semantics and I suppose it is for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

I don't necessarily think that it should be required to bow to your martial arts superiors in public. I bow to my teacher and my fellow martial artists outside of class (usually) because we're a tight-knit group, like family, really, and it's usually followed by a hug - certainly for my teacher and two of my fellow black belts. I do this because I have enormous respect for my teacher both in and out of class - it's just something that feels right for me to do for him.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. This sounds weird. I'm just so used to helping my instructor and being ivolved with instruction generally that the whole distance idea is kept very minimal. Hell, we went to a wedding together in the summer... another instructor was getting married!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loki said:
Wow. This sounds weird. I'm just so used to helping my instructor and being ivolved with instruction generally that the whole distance idea is kept very minimal. Hell, we went to a wedding together in the summer... another instructor was getting married!
We're not distant in the least - we're all very close. See, I knew it would be hard to grasp.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When ever we meet him or any person senior to me whether it be on the street, at a function or in the studio I will always approach with my left fist clinched with the right hand covering the left (an abreviated salutaion).

V/R

Rick