Master not registering students with kkw

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Update: money for three belts was refunded. Sadly, I had to press the issue many times, with the last including to send letters to the better business bureau, the county consumer affairs division and to local Korean business league. So it leaves me with only local certificates as a black belt in tkd and hapkido. Oh well... Life goes on.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Update: money for three belts was refunded. Sadly, I had to press the issue many times, with the last including to send letters to the better business bureau, the county consumer affairs division and to local Korean business league. So it leaves me with only local certificates as a black belt in tkd and hapkido. Oh well... Life goes on.
So what was the Master's explanation? It seems odd that he wouldn't just send in the paperwork rather than give refunds.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
So what was the Master's explanation? It seems odd that he wouldn't just send in the paperwork rather than give refunds.

He blamed the hapkido federation and the kkw. It is pretty clear he never sent them and simply pocketed the money, thinking that I would not be back, as I declined to sign another contract.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He blamed the hapkido federation and the kkw. It is pretty clear he never sent them and simply pocketed the money, thinking that I would not be back, as I declined to sign another contract.

Sadly, this seems a very common reason why applications aren't sent in. Some figure, "if they're not coming back, I have no reason to get them their cert." It's something I had to fight for with masters from other schools when their former students come to my school. Very sad for Taekwondo.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, this seems a very common reason why applications aren't sent in. Some figure, "if they're not coming back, I have no reason to get them their cert." It's something I had to fight for with masters from other schools when their former students come to my school. Very sad for Taekwondo.

I wonder, if I got signed statements from those at the test and sent them along with a letter outlining what the master failed to do, the kkw and hapkido federation would issue me the certs? Probably not, huh?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder, if I got signed statements from those at the test and sent them along with a letter outlining what the master failed to do, the kkw and hapkido federation would issue me the certs? Probably not, huh?

Yeah, you're right. I've not heard of the KKW doing that. I don't imagine you'd get what you're looking for without another test under another master, somewhere.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

And he thinks anybody is going to believe that both orgs suddenly forgot how to register belts, at the same time?
Can this clown walk and chew gum at the same time?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rumy, I'm sorry to hear of the negative experience you have had. I would imagine (if you've kept your standard of practice) that if you can explain your situation to a well-renowned a trustworthy high grade instructor, they would be willing to send for your certificate subject to you demonstrating your competence over a reasonable period. All is not lost, but be selective if you wish to pursue it. Perhaps someone here could make a local recommendation if we know where you are?

Gnarlie

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rumy, I'm sorry to hear of the negative experience you have had. I would imagine (if you've kept your standard of practice) that if you can explain your situation to a well-renowned a trustworthy high grade instructor, they would be willing to send for your certificate subject to you demonstrating your competence over a reasonable period. All is not lost, but be selective if you wish to pursue it. Perhaps someone here could make a local recommendation if we know where you are?

Gnarlie

Thanks. Here is thing, I talked to a few local masters, and it was like they smelled blood: "we will retest you for $400 or $500... Blah, blah.

I am at peace and will not pursue it anymore.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe they ARE giving you a deal. $400 is as cheap as I've seen around my city.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes but you said the old Master gave your money back, so really you have not paid for the KKW. So if somebody is willing to get it for you and would be like only paying once.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I only know of one Hapkido school in the VA area, and that is at the Boys and Girls Club in Dale City, VA. There may be more. I believe Daniel Sullivan may still teach in MD, and there used a Korean gentleman in MD who once had a school in Annandale, VA as well. It might be worth your while to look around for both TKD and HKD schools and discuss options. Without certificates from a recognized body you may have difficulty in being accepted in another school if you wish to continue your training, or gaining the next rank. What really would be of concern is whether or not your previous instructor even had certification in HKD in any organization, and if he was teaching an accepted curriculum. It has become way to popular to go to seminars, learn a few techniques, then claim to teach Hapkido.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I only know of one Hapkido school in the VA area, and that is at the Boys and Girls Club in Dale City, VA. There may be more. I believe Daniel Sullivan may still teach in MD, and there used a Korean gentleman in MD who once had a school in Annandale, VA as well.
At present, I am only accepting new kendo students. but I appreciate the plug! :)

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes but you said the old Master gave your money back, so really you have not paid for the KKW. So if somebody is willing to get it for you and would be like only paying once.

I got the money for the kkw and hapkido registration returned -- $160. However, i did not get back the $600 for each dan test.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got the money for the kkw and hapkido registration returned -- $160. However, i did not get back the $600 for each dan test.
That's just plain rotten. Sorry to hear that it happened to you. Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, you paid 760; 600+160 for each dan. That is outrageous.

$600 for an in-house dan certificate? Wow! What ranks?
Not uncommon. One school where I trained charged 500 for an in house cert, but maintained the illusion (up to and including outright stating) that paperwork was being sent back to the "Federation" in Korea. As it turned out, the Federation was founded by the school owner.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, it's not uncommon, but it does seem kind of pricey. A 1st Dan at our school will pay about $250 for Moo Duk Kwan or $350 for Kukkiwon certification. You could get both if you wanted, but I can't see any reason for that, unless you're just looking for wallpaper, and we wouldn't encourage someone to do so.