Martial Arts is Your Life, So what's Your Hobby?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Martial arts is my main hobby; after that, reading and languages.

Do you study languages, learn languages, or both?

If the second, which languages do you write and/or speak?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Do you study languages, learn languages, or both?

Both (as a hobby), but no fluency yet. My French and Italian are functional, and my (koine) Greek is coming along nicely.

I've just always found languages interesting. My daughter shares my interest, so we do some of this together.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've just always found languages interesting. My daughter shares my interest, so we do some of this together.

That's interesting. It's nice you share an interest with your daughter.

I want to take my children to Europe someday. I've never been there nor do I speak any language other than English.

My daughter will have to go by her middle name when we're in France I guess. They would probably think it's stupid that her name is Paris.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is more schitzo than I am!

I LOVE to race. I'ma 1320 guy.

T

TheBattousai

Other than MA, watching movies and cartoons/anime, reading comics and manga, video games, traveling, studying history, writing fiction stories, studying science, and listening/writing music.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Besides being at the dojo I like.... (not in any particular order)

Reading books, comic books, manga, martial art forums, LOTR fanfiction
Playing video games or surfing the net
Listening to music while exercising
Watching TV, martial art movies, comedies, anime
Sometimes I cross-stitch or draw
Talking/being with my friends
Buying new things for my collections
Sleeping
Attacking my kitties with hugs, kisses, & pets until they're forced to purr!

I'm sure there is more, but those are the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Robyn
animal-smiley-025.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I’m kinda with Sam, in that I’m a little obsessive (no were near as much as her though). Lets see…weight lift (so I can hit harder, even if it doesn’t help to much), chi-kung (why does any one do chi-kung), draw, write poetry, piano, and sing (all connect my body to my spirit, and have got me a few followers, give you get me [mostly a joke]). Pray (so I’m religious), read, write stories of varying length, meditate (for mental strength). I also dance (footwork), Zen calligraphy, Tao yin, and do-in (forms of Chi-kung that I forgot). So as you see a lot of what I do for fun, helps my martial arts. And I’m sure that if you look at what you do for fun helps yours in some way.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see i enjoy:

carving wood and stone
reading
comic books
playing D&D
camping
walking in the woods
gem hunting
gold panning
writeing (not spelling)
diablo. Dungon siege, and few others
any activeities my wife , and family do togeather

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Lets see i enjoy:

carving wood and stone
reading
comic books
playing D&D
camping
walking in the woods
gem hunting
gold panning
writeing (not spelling)

Oh gosh... gold panning... still have a pan and pick sitting back at my parents place :) Lots of fun! I need to go visit Reeds Gold Mine again. Lots of fun!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
camping
walking in the woods
gem hunting
gold panning

If the gem hunting and gold panning work out for you maybe you won't have to camp or walk in the woods anymore. You can finally drive your used Chevette to a luxurious Super-8 Motel. lol

M

muffin_cup_of_death

Great topic becky. I think between me and her we have our marriage as #1, and will always be that way. My job comes #2 because that is what feeds us, puts a roof over our heads, and buys our toys. LOL. So yeah, Martial arts would be my # 3 life priority, but not a hobby. I dont do it occasionally, it is in my mind 24-7-365. Before I was married, I was an obsessive martial artist, all I did was train, teach, work my job, and sleep...and eat every now and then...thats about it. I cared for nothing else. But Marriage will change anybody. ANd it sux when you are used to training so much, then all the sudden, so many responsibilitys come ahead, and you have to accept it. But I wouldnt change it for the world. My wife brings me happiness and peace as nothing else ever has, I even closed my dojo, after working hard labor jobs for about 4 years trying to open it. It was operational for 1 1/2 yrs. before I closed it to go get married in Beckys hometown state. But anyway, my REAL hobbies include:

Hiking, climbing, rock jumping!, reading, writing, video games, board games, running, web surfing, warhammer 40,000 table top battling, lifting weights, poetry, writing, and making hip-hop/rap songs with friends.

Oh,and Navarre...No hard feelings man, the "points of a MA" thing was stupid, and I hope we can be cool from now on. I have a problem with being a bit outspoken sometimes, but Im working on that.
Great topic, keep em coming.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People watching. No not voyeristic, because they are out to get me. :rolleyes:

Riding my Motorcycle

RPG's

Miniatures and board games

online video games ** WOW **

pretending I am human ;)

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I think you have mis-understood what people mean by Martial Arts being their life. The martial arts is a metaphor of life. It can be a sparring of words (word-jutsu), or sparring of thoughts (thought-jutsu). Even things that seem mundane such as having a gentle conversation with someone is still a dance of words, an interplay between two or more people. Martial arts when taken seriously provides lessons that guides our lives by giving us the ability to make decisions about how we interplay with others on every level of existence. So Martial Arts can be one's life or path but not occupy all of their time. I think you should look deeper into what they mean.

I see what you are saying. I still think one has to be careful or you either wind up being some geek walking down the street acting like you are in the Matrix or you become so obcessed that you neglect your real life.

Either way I respect what you said and will think about it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
I was wondering, if martial arts is your life, what's your hobby/hobbies? What other things do you do or are interested in? Sure we all have to work (unfortunately) or we'd all be martial art monks/nuns by now. LOL

I like to belly dance (for any woman trying to find something aerobic that you get to wear gorgeous outfits in, I HIGHLY recommend belly dance). I also like reading LOTR, Harry Potter, and martial art books. I also like play fighting with my husband, mainly the Great Beep the Nose war! Surfing the web aimlessly is fun as is talking to my many martial art friends on messenger. Some of you will pry say playing with or attending to your kids. My kid (other than my husband ofc.) is my 1 yr. old cat, whose goal in life seems to be exploring every bit of the house she can and getting into things she shouldn't. LOL

Becky

While I enjoy the arts very much, I do have my priorities. Family, health and work have to come first and foremost. Personally, I don't see how someone could put the arts before the other things in life and still be able to survive.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Hi Sam,

This is probably going to sound condescending, but you are young and that allows you the time to focus on your passion. I used to have the same focus, but now that I'm older and married, martial arts has taken a distinct second to my family. I would seriously question to priorities of a person who places a hobby above the responsibilities to their family, I would call that obsession.

Lamont

I don't take this as you being condescending, but instead bringing up some very good points. When I lived at home, I had no bills, so I was able to put forth a good portion of my time towards training. However, there came a time when I needed to step out of the part time work force and enter into the full time world. Of course, being married, having a home, and those never ending bills, things definately change.

Mike

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Lets see i enjoy:

carving wood and stone
reading
comic books
playing D&D
camping
walking in the woods
gem hunting
gold panning
writeing (not spelling)

Wood and stone carving. Sounds fascinating. I am envious, I have absolutely no talent for that kind of thing. Any chance of seeing some pics of your work? :)

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anime (Watching and importing to do fansubs)
Drifting (Watching and doing)
Watching Rally (SCCA and WRC)
Tournament Paintball
Import video games
Knitting (Newly acquired, digging it too!)

None of this is in any particular order. :)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martail Arts is my hobby/passion. Work and raising teenage boys is the main focus of life. I also do a lot of cooking and reading when I get the chance.

Latest Discussions