If You Weren't in Martial Arts......

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Hi everyone! I was just wondering....If you weren't in martial arts, perish the thought but, what sport or hobby would you be in? Or if you are lucky and have the funds and time to do something else too, what are you into?
If you're looking to hear about hobbies, I spend a good deal of time building model railroads and painting chinese calligraphy and watercolors. I also have some rather nice marine aquariums.

No martial arts?? Perish the thought indeed, I probably wouldn't be doing any sport, or anything at all for that matter, lol. I'd be smoking, getting high, playing video games, and turning into a right fat bastard. :uhyeah:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the ocean so anything to do with that...I have been trying to fit in scuba and would like to learn how to sail or at least have a boat to float around on. I also like skiing and could use more time on the slopes as the kids :xtrmshock without poles still whip by me! I would also love to make a short film. I think it would be fun to learn claymation. If money were no object I'd go back to film school. Navarre for creative people it's important to have a muse...so long as you don't abuse! It's probably a good thing you gave yours up. Maybe you can find another somewhat less musing muse. :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe. .. My muse should inspire me, not consume me. (sigh) I'm strong though. I always do the right thing. Too many years training in honor and too many years reading comics. It probably saves me from myself sometimes.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Meh, it's pretty obvious with me... caving. With my good buddy Ceicei and her kid(s). But if not for MA I think my caving ventures would indeed be different. The way I move about and think while I'm underground has been heavily influenced by Martial Arts.

Honestly I can't see NOT having MA in my life at some point or another.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always wanted to speak a few foreign languages. If I only had the time...I'd love to read Dante in the original.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, sitting on couch somewhere weighing 450-500 lbs and eating a pizza while playing guitar, watching tv, or playing video games....

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
sitting on couch somewhere weighing 450-500 lbs and eating a pizza while playing guitar.
Heehee! Kinda like rock guitaurists will put their cigarette in between the upper strings, you can smash a slice in there and munch in between playing licks. Of course you'd have to play some fat licks.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly...same idea...and of course, all that grease would really speed up the action on the neck..

This may call for further experiments....

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would try to do more hiking, fishing or white water rafting (thats fun) and some pick up hockey or soccer games.

In reality though I would proberbly spend more time on my three kids activities... hockey, soccer, swimming and the dreaded homework.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
I would try to do more hiking, fishing or white water rafting (thats fun) and some pick up hockey or soccer games.

In reality though I would proberbly spend more time on my three kids activities... hockey, soccer, swimming and the dreaded homework.
Welcome to MT! :wavey:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Maybe. .. My muse should inspire me, not consume me. (sigh) I'm strong though. I always do the right thing. Too many years training in honor and too many years reading comics. It probably saves me from myself sometimes.
The grass is always greener... stay:jedi1: strong!
Bignick I'm glad you do martial arts! :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Hi everyone! I was just wondering....If you weren't in martial arts, perish the thought but, what sport or hobby would you be in? Or if you are lucky and have the funds and time to do something else too, what are you into?
I'll answer this in a different manner. Instead of what would I do, I'll tell you what I did do.

I was out of the martial arts for a somewhat extended period of time, since I couldn't yet find a school to my liking in my new area. During that time, I would pass some of the time by going to my other hobby of working with computers, and even getting into the thick of online gaming. Very addictive stuff (online gaming), as expected.

I became more heavily involved with some of the other online discussion boards, such as Glocktalk.com, Thefiringline.com, etc., and got to meet some really good folks, some in person.

All of this came at a terrible cost, though. When I went to the doctor's office for the first time in many years to simply get a prescription for Allegra filled, a routine blood pressure check showed something alarming, that I was getting some very high diastolic readings. So, they scheduled a routine physical exam, and the bloodwork showed some skyrocketing cholesterol levels (300), elevated triglycerides, in addition to the blood pressure. Very unusual for someone 6' 0", and 170 lbs.

300 mgs of Avapro a day has calmed down the blood pressure to normal levels. I know that this is something that will be with me for the rest of my life, since it runs in the family. I don't mind this too much, since I don't experience any side effects from this.

I tried modifying my dietary habits for a while, taking in saturated fats and cholesterol very sparingly, eating very healthy diets, but this only knocked down the cholesterol to 285.

At that point, I was getting pretty discouraged. Here I was, a yudansha rank holder in two martial arts styles, being described as a candidate for having a heart attack while still in the early 30's. Not nice, and certainly depressing.

Then one day, while doing some shopping, I accidentally saw a Karate dojo that taught Wado-Ryu, so I stopped by and observed a class. I liked what I saw, that they drilled their students with some strong fundamentals, that the instructors had very watchful eyes, and all of the students had great discipline. While the instructors were sometimes blunt about things, they never belittled anyone, and you could see that they commanded a healthy respect from the students (not fear).

I hit it off very well with the chief instructor, and they let me come in as an advanced student (Shotokan and Wado are similar enough), and let me wear my old brown belt in an unofficial manner until I took the test for shodan in this style. I signed up that same day for a long term, stuck with it since then, becoming a yudansha there as well, training on a regular basis, and becoming an instructor at this school.

During the spring of this year, the physical I took this year showed a drop in cholesterol to 215 (despite stopping the near-vegetarian diet I was trying to use earlier), and I know that this has been a life saver.

Anyways, I hope this answers your question. I don't intend on ever going through another stretch of time without the martial arts ever again. While I did enjoy the world of computers and online communities for a good period of time, it could have cost me my life, literally.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick just reminded me of something. Before MA, I didn't do much activity at all (except play drums). So I'd prolly be a pot-bellied, beer drinkin, stuck in a bar for life (no career out of it anyways) drummer. I was over weight before I started MA as it was LOL.

As far as stuff I'd like to do. Learn a foreign language, go hiking or start running/biking, travel, and learn to play taiko (Japanese) drums.

K

kempoguy71

I have been practicing martial arts on and off since I was about 6 years old(I'm now 35)... so I would also find it odd not to practice... as it's part of my lifestyle.

Now, in addition to Martial Arts I'm an avid practitioner of sleight of hand Magic (impromptu magic with cards and coins for the most part), and spend quite a few hours every week on honing this skill (and if I didn't spend so much time on MA I would probably focus more time and effort in this area).

If I didn't spend so much time on magic and martial arts I'd spend more time on my writing (I've written a few manuscripts and like others would like to write a novel); as well as drawing (pencil drawing of portraits); and perhaps get into amateur bodybuilding. I also play the flute (Native American Flute and the Shakuhachi) and would spend a bit more time here as well.

Other things I'd probably take up if I wasn't focused on these arts would be Shodo (Japanese Calligraphy) and Chado (Japanese tea ceremony), and brush up on a few languages as well...

KG

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I used to be a football player and track athlete, but they were not for me in the long term. I would most likely be spending more time doing personal training or something that would keep me moving. I can'tsay that anything really sticks out as to what I would be doing. Maybe just ripping out my hair from boredom. I can't even imagine a world without training in the martial arts.

Latest Discussions