Martial arts for self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People who've never sparred hard, for full knockouts....and regularly as part of their training, don't really know what a trained & experienced fighter can do in the ring and in the street.
Criminal are not skilled fighters. You do not need to defeat highly skilled MMA fighters in self defence. Muggers, rapists and other experienced criminals do not dedicate years of their life becoming highly skilled MMA fighters in order to get what they want from their victims.

They do not engage in sparring with their victims. You are confusing fighting with self defence, they are two different things.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
no all training has "rules" that's the point. Training isn't real and never will be.

But you're avoiding the question....do YOU, personally.... train with full powered strikes to the eyeballs and full powered strikes to the testicles?

Check out this NYPD cop with his cop training in "real life":

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They do not engage in sparring with their victims. You are confusing fighting with self defence, they are two different things.

Training as a fighter, is the highest level of Martial Arts training which is applicable in self defense. Because punching someone in the face to KO them, works just the same in the street.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So what's better than sparring in MMA? You pretending to eye poke someone or pretending to squeeze their testicles? Or do you actually train with real eye poking and real testicle kicking?
I am not sure where you are getting eye pokes and goring squeezes from, but anyway.

Again, you do not understand the nature of criminal violence, you are only able to see self defence in terms of "fighting". Do criminals bob and weave in and out of range from six feet away in a fighting stance?

Pre-emptively striking a BOB or punch bag/mitt, learnign to get all of your power into the strike, not telegraphing your movement, exploding from a static position are more useful skills for self defence, than bobbing and weaving and throwing exploratory jabs in form six feet away in a fighting stance.

But what do I know, I don't train MMA so clearly have no ability to defend myself.

:facepalm:

If your 50 year old mum came to you and wanted to learn self defence would you tell her she can't defend herself becasue she can't hold her own sparring against a skilled and trained cage fighter, or she can't role with BJJ blue belts?

Fighting is not the same as self defence. Listen to the audio book, learn and understand the differences, until you do it is pointless to continue this cirucular discussion.

Goodbye

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a big deal to me. Plenty to most cop can't fight very well, compared to trained fighters, if all they had is their cop training. That's why cops, Marines, Rangers, and whatever soldiers....join MMA gyms to get better at hand to hand combat.
And even the cops that cant fight still go out and fight in REAL LIFE not the gym. I was a Marine, Cop,and train in MMA Gyms. Ive been to SWAT schools and Sniper Schools and have been to some of the most realistic training allover the world and guess what its still not real.
And what's real life?
Let see in the last 15 years Ive been shot at 3 times, stabbed in the forearm once, jumped by 3 guys while arresting their cousin, been hit with a car twice, hit with Rocks, a brick, bottles, and a chair also twice. Ive arrested a serial Killer, fought guys high on PCP, LSD,METH,Crack, fought trained "fighters" collegiate wrestlers,gang bangers, Psychopaths, rapists, and killers. Ive worked UnderCover in DC and Baltimore buying dope and had guns pulled on me knives pulled on me had people really try to KILL ME not just pretending in a gym...That is real life and not training. Training will never compare to real life
Pulling out a gun, take cover and wait for backup?
Sometimes
One of my MMA friend for 10+ years is a BJJ brown belt, Boxer and a 20 year cop from Southeast DC.
Great so go ask him if training is anything like real life in SE DC
Where are you a cop at? I know cops from neighborhoods where 3BR townhouses starts at $800,000 and they're super nice, even when they're called out to the shopping mall to stop kids from illegally skateboarding.
Im super nice also even when dealing with killers until they give me a reason not to be.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training as a fighter, is the highest level of Martial Arts training which is applicable in self defense. Because punching someone in the face to KO them, works just the same in the street.
again sometimes it works. You ever punch a guy high on PCP?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Again, you do not understand the nature of criminal violence, you are only able to see self defence in terms of "fighting".

I've been in about 15 street fights and my family used to own a grocery store in the 'hood where I had to deal with bums all day long at the cash register, then I owned a business where I had to deposit $2k plus, in cash, twice a day....some days, up to $5k in cash....how about you/

Do criminals bob and weave in and out of range from six feet away in a fighting stance?

Neither do fighters, why would anyone bob and weave from 6ft away? Who teaches you this stuff?

Pre-emptively striking a BOB or punch bag/mitt, learnign to get all of your power into the strike, not telegraphing your movement, exploding from a static position are more useful skills for self defence, than bobbing and weaving and throwing exploratory jabs in form six feet away in a fighting stance.

:) So you think that a fighter doesn't train to: hit first, hit as hard as possible, not telegraph, nor explode? You should sell your secrets to Conor McGregor, who has TENS of MILLIONS of dollars riding on his next fight. Dude, where were you when Pacquaio was fighting Mayweather where he only made $120,000,000 vs. Mayweather making $180,000,000. I'm sure Pacquaio could have used your advice.

But what do I know, I don't train MMA so clearly have no ability to defend myself.

I totally agree.

If your 50 year old mum came to you and wanted to learn self defence would you tell her she can't defend herself becasue she can't hold her own sparring against a skilled and trained cage fighter, or she can't role with BJJ blue belts?

I'd still train her to fight like a fighter because it's more realistic and the highest form of Martial Arts training.

Fighting is not the same as self defence. Listen to the audio book, learn and understand the differences, until you do it is pointless to continue this cirucular discussion.

Goodbye

No thanks, audio books, don't hit back.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal to me. Plenty to most cop can't fight very well, compared to trained fighters, if all they had is their cop training. That's why cops, Marines, Rangers, and whatever soldiers....join MMA gyms to get better at hand to hand combat.

My gym is a military MMA one, the reason the military and the police join is to enjoy themselves, it helps with fitness and is a great stress reliever, the very reason they enjoy it is because it isn't real life. I train MMA but for self defence we have a difference class, our chief instructor is ex military police, does CP and does the doors in one of our hardest, roughest cities, as well as the odd bare knuckle gypsy fight, he doesn't rate MMA as a SD style though it has its uses but teaches self defence as some of our best SD experts do.

And what's real life? Pulling out a gun, take cover and wait for backup? One of my MMA friend for 10+ years is a BJJ brown belt, Boxer and a 20 year cop from Southeast DC. Where are you a cop at? I know cops from neighborhoods where 3BR townhouses starts at $800,000 and they're super nice, even when they're called out to the shopping mall to stop kids from illegally skateboarding.

More macho posturing eh. Don't worry we won't laugh at you....much.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Criminal are not skilled fighters.
You would be surprised. Many do train. Both in prison and on the streets. There is a certain MMA gym where I work that is notorious for gang members training there. I once walked up on 4 young girls (10-14 years old)Beating the crap out of a 12 year old girl. When I broke it up the "Victim" said they were playing around so she could learn how to take a beating so she wouldn't be afraid in a fight

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And even the cops that cant fight still go out and fight in REAL LIFE not the gym. I was a Marine, Cop,and train in MMA Gyms. Ive been to SWAT schools and Sniper Schools and have been to some of the most realistic training allover the world and guess what its still not real.

Let see in the last 15 years Ive been shot at 3 times, stabbed in the forearm once, jumped by 3 guys while arresting their cousin, been hit with a car twice, hit with Rocks, a brick, bottles, and a chair also twice. Ive arrested a serial Killer, fought guys high on PCP, LSD,METH,Crack, fought trained "fighters" collegiate wrestlers,gang bangers, Psychopaths, rapists, and killers. Ive worked UnderCover in DC and Baltimore buying dope and had guns pulled on me knives pulled on me had people really try to KILL ME not just pretending in a gym...That is real life and not training. Training will never compare to real life

Sometimes

Great so go ask him if training is anything like real life in SE DC

Im super nice also even when dealing with killers until they give me a reason not to be.

If all of this means anything as to what we were arguing about, then you shouldn't have any problems gloving up and see how well you'd do against and MMA fighter.

I mean, do you train with live bullets vs. other cops or something? Have you trained like this before:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didnt avoid anything I answered you training isnt real

No because again training isnt real.

and?

Trying to KO someone while they're trying to do the same to you, in training (SOMETIMES)....is much more real than pretending to with pretend strikes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in about 15 street fights and my family used to own a grocery store in the 'hood where I had to deal with bums all day long at the cash register, then I owned a business where I had to deposit $2k plus, in cash, twice a day....some days, up to $5k in cash....how about you/

Woohoo, 15 street fights, impressive...not. I was called out to deal with many in the first few months of my starting work, trying to break up fights in pubs and clubs when those fighting against each other gang up and turn on you is a tad more interesting. As for carrying that much money security guards here do that every day.

You do know that Conor McGregor doesn't spar to KO right? In fact like most MMA fighters he doesn't spar that hard because he and they simply cannot risk being injured before a big fight. I would suggest that you don't actually know how a fighter trains.

. There is a certain MMA gym where I work that is notorious for gang members training there.I

We have a couple of them, the most notorious fighter I know is Lee Murray, the way he fought in MMA comps was nothing like the way he fought outside it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My gym is a military MMA one, the reason the military and the police join is to enjoy themselves, it helps with fitness and is a great stress reliever, the very reason they enjoy it is because it isn't real life. I train MMA but for self defence we have a difference class, our chief instructor is ex military police, does CP and does the doors in one of our hardest, roughest cities, as well as the odd bare knuckle gypsy fight, he doesn't rate MMA as a SD style though it has its uses but teaches self defence as some of our best SD experts do.

More macho posturing eh. Don't worry we won't laugh at you....much.

Sounds like WMMA :eek:

And don't soldiers have assault rifles, 200-300 rounds of ammo, a sidearm, grenades, a radio, other soldiers, tanks, air support and supply trucks? And when all fails or runs out, their field knife? Why would soldiers need to train H2H to be anywhere near the levels of a fighter, when they at least have that big field knife?

That's why most soldiers aren't even close, to being good fighters;

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If all of this means anything as to what we were arguing about, then you shouldn't have any problems gloving up and see how well you'd do against and MMA fighter.
When did I say I havent? I also never said MMA training wasn't a good thing. I said training no matter how real can never reach the same level of reality since no matter how"tough" your school is they still have rules and safety measures in place
I mean, do you train with live bullets vs. other cops or something? Have you trained like this before:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
We train with simunitions (basically realistic paintball guns) and guess what its still not real. It never reaches the same stress and Adrenalin and fear as doing it for real because if I screw up and get shot I don't really die it just stings a little

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I finally figured out how to make my dick 12 inches long: fold it in half.

Hey, as long as we are comparing our peckers I thought I'd join in.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Woohoo, 15 street fights, impressive...not. I was called out to deal with many in the first few months of my starting work, trying to break up fights in pubs and clubs when those fighting against each other gang up and turn on you is a tad more interesting.

Oooh, scary...wish I knew what it was like to be an old woman and be able to step up to dudes w/o much repercussion.

As for carrying that much money security guards here do that every day.

And don't they have shotguns (or at least pistols) and would readily give it up because it's not their money. Armed security guards in the USA makes a little more than minimum wage, what about where you're from?

You do know that Conor McGregor doesn't spar to KO right? In fact like most MMA fighters he doesn't spar that hard because he and they simply cannot risk being injured before a big fight. I would suggest that you don't actually know how a fighter trains.

You obviously don't know Connor McGregor neither nor have you fought in full contact fights. What he said on TUF was based on the little time that the fighters had there (on the show) and
how many fights they potentially had to fight in such short time...which is why they shouldn't go hard. He also doesn't go hard, often in his own training (and philosophy) but show me where McGregor said that he never sparred hard, otherwise you're just making this up.

And isn't it also a given that no fighter should spar hard right "before a big fight" or any fight?

We have a couple of them, the most notorious fighter I know is Lee Murray, the way he fought in MMA comps was nothing like the way he fought outside it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oooh, scary...wish I knew what it was like to be an old woman and be able to step up to dudes w/o much repercussion.

And don't they have shotguns (or at least pistols) and would readily give it up because it's not their money. Armed security guards in the USA makes a little more than minimum wage, what about where you're from?

You obviously don't know Connor McGregor neither nor have you fought in full contact fights. What he said on TUF was based on the little time that the fighters had there (on the show) and
how many fights they potentially had to fight in such short time...which is why they shouldn't go hard. He also doesn't go hard, often in his own training (and philosophy) but show me where McGregor said that he never sparred hard, otherwise you're just making this up.

And isn't it also a given that no fighter should spar hard right "before a big fight" or any fight?

Sparring hard and sparring to try to purposely Knock your partner "out cold" are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions