Martial arts for killing with your bare hands

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, this is a really old article from cracked.com (not the most reliable website). Anyone have any opinions on the order of "deadly martial arts", or on the authors description of the martial arts in question?
http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html
Personally, I think Sambo should be further down, and Ken/mpo should be included.
6.Sambo
5.Muay Thai
4.MCMAP
3.Silat
2.Eskrima
1.Krav Maga
Also, don't know the styles mentioned outside of Sambo, but it looks like in the video at 0:36 the instructors choking his uke, which is illegal in Sambo, unless I'm being blind when watching the video?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a load of *****.
All martial arts include techniques that can be deadly.
In fact you don't even have to know martial arts at all , people get knocked out and die all the time from people who have zero martial arts training and a gut full of alcohol.

I really don't know why Krav always gets held up as the epitome of self defence , there is nothing in it from what I have seen apart from the concentration on multiple attack scenarios , that is not covered in more detail in other systems.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Articles like that are written by the ignorant for the gullible.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What they both said.

(Even a boxer could direct a punch toward the throat and cause a lot of deadly damage.)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw it ages ago. The site is a comedy site with a few craptastic writers posting facts sheets along the way.
And sometimes they just go on downright rants about all sorts of nonsense.

For example:
Muay Thai is for killing a man with Your bare hands, but Kickboxing is nothing worth mentioning.
Also, Muay Thai is not the only art with elbow and knee strikes.
Eskrima is for killing a man with Your bare hands but only stick fighting is mentioned, and Kali is nowhere to be seen.
Krav Maga is for killing a man with Your bare hands, but not Ameri-Do-Te.

Dont take the site too seriously.
Just about all Martial Arts have a Straight Punch. Straight Punches work. Straight Punches can kill if used repeatedly enough. Therefore all Martial Arts are for killing a man with Your bare hands.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How dare they? No Ameri-Do-Te? No Sinanju? Harumph.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why isn't Silat #1? ;)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why isn't Silat #1? ;)
Well, because it isnt Krav Maga. Because Krav Maga is Krav Maga is Krav Maga.

Also, some fun:
Read everything He says about Krav Maga.
Then read:
#4. The Guy Who Trains in a Martial Art That Requires Explanation

149547.jpg
Not all badasses spring forth from a childhood of back alley knife fights. Some have transformed their hands and feet into killing machines using ancient Oriental magic. Or at least they're pretty sure they have.

149932.jpg

[SIZE=-1]I'm one of them. Officially.[/SIZE]​
But with all the mysticism and intrigue of martial arts, it's sometimes hard to tell if the Karate Master you're speaking with is a passionate hobbyist or a delusional douchebag. The easiest way to tell is how much he explains his fighting style before you've asked. If a guy tells you he takes krav maga and he's done talking about it, he's a normal person who enjoys krav maga. If he tells you he trains in krav maga and immediately describes the situations where he could use it like the Israeli commandos who invented it because they needed a fighting style that worked, you should feel safe using a punch to get him to shut up.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-signs-that-someone-isnt-actually-badass/

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would think that any martial art, taught properly, is for killing people if necessary. :asian:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried to access the web site from my work computer. It was blocked and listed as tasteless. Need anything more be said?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cracked is hysterical. But it's a comedy site. Woe betide to he who takes it too seriously. Turns out (if memory does not fail) that Cracked has something like 4 or more articles that mention or touch upon martial arts, usually to specifically poke fun at inflated egos or McDojoisms.

If you read Cracked, you have to come to it with the realization that it's a crankier version of The Onion.

Which fits fine with me, your Grumpy Neighborhood Cripple Man.

Oh, if you're sensitive about politics, be careful of Cracked also. They admittedly lean to the left and, while not quite as equal opportunity as Saturday Night Live, poke fun with a pretty broad brush in politics.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tried to access the web site from my work computer. It was blocked and listed as tasteless. Need anything more be said?
Read it at home. It's not "tasteless" but it can be offensive if you are offended by swearing, sex jokes, or the politically incorrect.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a load of *****.
All martial arts include techniques that can be deadly.
In fact you don't even have to know martial arts at all , people get knocked out and die all the time from people who have zero martial arts training and a gut full of alcohol.

QFT! Agreed 100% on this!

I really don't know why Krav always gets held up as the epitome of self defence , there is nothing in it from what I have seen apart from the concentration on multiple attack scenarios , that is not covered in more detail in other systems.

I'm not a Krav Maga authority, I can agree with what you said here, however, IMHO, I think some of the things that seperate KM from other arts, are the following:

Simplicity. From what I've seen of KM, it's a quick, straight to the point art. No kata, no fancy terms, simple, easy to remember and apply techniques.

Now, this isn't to say that WC, Kenpo or any other art, can't be the same.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a Krav Maga authority, I can agree with what you said here, however, IMHO, I think some of the things that seperate KM from other arts, are the following:

Simplicity. From what I've seen of KM, it's a quick, straight to the point art. No kata, no fancy terms, simple, easy to remember and apply techniques.

Now, this isn't to say that WC, Kenpo or any other art, can't be the same.

Well, thats just it but. Look at Boxing. It has a much shorter list of stuff in it than Krav Maga, but it doesnt get the same rep.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean is a comedy writer. Don't take it too seriously. I'm a taekwondo 2nd dan, a style he regularly makes fun of, and I'm a fan.

EDIT: I assumed Sean wrote the article. John Hart did. John Hart's an idiot.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my experience, the value of Krav is not so much in the techniques, which are pretty generic and feature at least partially in most other martial arts.

The value lies in the training methodology: highly repetitive, fast, and intense training of scenarios. The defender is left little breathing space or thinking time, forcing instinctive reactions and a high level of fitness and endurance.

Not to say that any other martial art can't be that way. I think regardless of MA selected, most people have a go to tech that they favour, and that's probably going to be one of the most damaging.

Gnarlie

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killing a person is no big deal, no martial arts training required. Any sufficiently heavy object can crush a skull. The coup de grace is nothing special. People kill each other all the time with no training whatsoever.

It's the old joke:

"I hit my husband with a bat plenty of times over the years your honor, he never died before."

Not particularly funny but descriptive.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, the value of Krav is not so much in the techniques, which are pretty generic and feature at least partially in most other martial arts.

The value lies in the training methodology: highly repetitive, fast, and intense training of scenarios. The defender is left little breathing space or thinking time, forcing instinctive reactions and a high level of fitness and endurance.

Not to say that any other martial art can't be that way. I think regardless of MA selected, most people have a go to tech that they favour, and that's probably going to be one of the most damaging.

Gnarlie

IMO Krav is very highly overrated. So are "scenarios".

Fast, intense, repetitive and instinctive sounds exactly like sport training methodology, which is why I laugh when people say "sport fighters can't defend themselves" and go on to advocate something like KM :)

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, because it isnt Krav Maga. Because Krav Maga is Krav Maga is Krav Maga.

Also, some fun:
Read everything He says about Krav Maga.
Then read:
#4. The Guy Who Trains in a Martial Art That Requires Explanation

149547.jpg
Not all badasses spring forth from a childhood of back alley knife fights. Some have transformed their hands and feet into killing machines using ancient Oriental magic. Or at least they're pretty sure they have.

149932.jpg

[SIZE=-1]I'm one of them. Officially.[/SIZE]​
But with all the mysticism and intrigue of martial arts, it's sometimes hard to tell if the Karate Master you're speaking with is a passionate hobbyist or a delusional douchebag. The easiest way to tell is how much he explains his fighting style before you've asked. If a guy tells you he takes krav maga and he's done talking about it, he's a normal person who enjoys krav maga. If he tells you he trains in krav maga and immediately describes the situations where he could use it like the Israeli commandos who invented it because they needed a fighting style that worked, you should feel safe using a punch to get him to shut up.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-signs-that-someone-isnt-actually-badass/
hahahaha :roflmao:

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sean is a comedy writer. Don't take it too seriously. I'm a taekwondo 2nd dan, a style he regularly makes fun of, and I'm a fan.

EDIT: I assumed Sean wrote the article. John Hart did. John Hart's an idiot.
Agreed. I find "seanbaby's" articles hilarious, John Hart's articles just genuinely annoy me

Latest Discussions