Martial arts for killing with your bare hands

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any MA has killing techniques.

A simple RNC choke, taught to a brand new, 1 day old White belt in Brazilian jiu-Jitsu...is a killing technique. If a Boxer knocks you out with his first punch in a streetfight, he now has the option to either go home or stay to stomp your head in repeatedly until your skull caves in and you die. Slight chance that you may have already died when KO'ed with that 1st punch and landing head first into the cement, cracking the back of your head.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cracked does actually run a fair number of articles that are informative as well as amusing. This wasn't one of them. The bit by Seanbaby that Cyriacus linked to is much more accurate.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MCMAP for the win. You jokers are just jealous you're not US Marines. As the article says, in my day we didn't have MCMAP, so all we could do was kill everyone we fought, and apparently, that's not sufficiently lovey these days. We had to TONE DOWN our killing system just so you mere mortals could deal with it.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
MCMAP for the win. You jokers are just jealous you're not US Marines. As the article says, in my day we didn't have MCMAP, so all we could do was kill everyone we fought, and apparently, that's not sufficiently lovey these days. We had to TONE DOWN our killing system just so you mere mortals could deal with it.
HEY! They arent meant to know that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HEY! They arent meant to know that.

It is by will alone I set my punch in motion.
It is by the Corps of Marines that fists acquire speed,
the belt acquires color, the color becomes a warning.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually feel a but nostalgic about the days I could spot something titled "Martial-arts-for-killing-with-your-bare-hands" or "Deadleliest arts in the Universe!" and not imediately know that it is either an intentional joke or a load of BS.

Mysticism and ignorance is bliss?

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Cracked, but take everything I read there with a grain of salt. It's purely for entertainment value, and sometimes they provide interesting nuggets of information. I usually get a good laugh out of the stock pictures and the captions underneath.

I wouldn't take this article too seriously, or put too much debate into it.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont you make me type up a weird remix of Fired Up Feels Good with punching instead. :p

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually feel a but nostalgic about the days I could spot something titled "Martial-arts-for-killing-with-your-bare-hands" or "Deadleliest arts in the Universe!" and not imediately know that it is either an intentional joke or a load of BS.

Mysticism and ignorance is bliss?
There was a time when you could see a title like that and NOT think its a joke or BS?????

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

long live the mentats!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Cracked is hysterical. But it's a comedy site. Woe betide to he who takes it too seriously. Turns out (if memory does not fail) that Cracked has something like 4 or more articles that mention or touch upon martial arts, usually to specifically poke fun at inflated egos or McDojoisms.

If you read Cracked, you have to come to it with the realization that it's a crankier version of The Onion.

Which fits fine with me, your Grumpy Neighborhood Cripple Man.

Oh, if you're sensitive about politics, be careful of Cracked also. They admittedly lean to the left and, while not quite as equal opportunity as Saturday Night Live, poke fun with a pretty broad brush in politics.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
This ^^

The site is more concerned with laughs than historical accuracy. Just take it in that vein... it's either funny or not, but criticizing the merit of the content on any other level is missing the point.

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is so shame!

It's to stupid for serious article, and to stupid for comedy article.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, thats just it but. Look at Boxing. It has a much shorter list of stuff in it than Krav Maga, but it doesnt get the same rep.

Probably because people don't view boxing as a martial art. However, given some of the poor schools that I've seen, I'd rather have a boxer fighting along side me, instead of someone from one of those poor quality schools.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably because people don't view boxing as a martial art. However, given some of the poor schools that I've seen, I'd rather have a boxer fighting along side me, instead of someone from one of those poor quality schools.
Which is tragic, since it has everything that constitutes a Martial Art.
If Sambo or BJJ are Martial Arts, then Wrestling is a Martial Art.
If any art that uses a single weapon exclusively gets to be a Martial Art, then so does Boxing.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which is tragic, since it has everything that constitutes a Martial Art.
If Sambo or BJJ are Martial Arts, then Wrestling is a Martial Art.
If any art that uses a single weapon exclusively gets to be a Martial Art, then so does Boxing.

Of course boxing is a martial art. However, it is generally (and properly) not viewed as a killing art intended for self-defense. There are a number of techniques in other styles of martial arts intended as 'finishing moves' or 'lethal' moves; boxing has none of those. I won't get into an argument about how some of the 'killing moves' in some martial arts are not so 'killing', but suffice to say that some, like jumping up in the air and landing on an opponent's chest as he lays on the ground, are most definitely designed for killing and nothing else. Boxing is not a killing art as it is designed. Boxers can and have killed each other in the ring, but not intentionally.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course boxing is a martial art. However, it is generally (and properly) not viewed as a killing art intended for self-defense. There are a number of techniques in other styles of martial arts intended as 'finishing moves' or 'lethal' moves; boxing has none of those. I won't get into an argument about how some of the 'killing moves' in some martial arts are not so 'killing', but suffice to say that some, like jumping up in the air and landing on an opponent's chest as he lays on the ground, are most definitely designed for killing and nothing else. Boxing is not a killing art as it is designed. Boxers can and have killed each other in the ring, but not intentionally.
Of course - Now what about Wrestling? Head Vs Concrete.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course - Now what about Wrestling? Head Vs Concrete.

Again, not intended as a killing art. Wrestling and boxing in modern-day parlance have evolved as simple sport, not self-defense (regardless of how good they are when used in that sense). I'm not arguing that any of them are not martial arts. But with regard to 'killing with your bare hands' as the OP queried, boxing, wrestling, etc, are not that. They have no killing techniques that are in their systems. Yes, you can certainly kill someone if you're a good enough wrestler. Or, for that matter, just a really bad dude, some kind of serious street fighter. But that wasn't the question.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course boxing is a martial art. However, it is generally (and properly) not viewed as a killing art intended for self-defense.
That rather depends on the time period. From the 18th Century all the way up through the early/mid 20th Century, Boxing was considered and specifically written of as the "Manly Art of (Self) Defense" and there are even now reports of people seriously injured or even killed by boxers (not frequently in the Ring).

I've republished a number of antique boxing manuals which discuss Boxing as a Self Defense art.

There are a number of techniques in other styles of martial arts intended as 'finishing moves' or 'lethal' moves; boxing has none of those.
It usually shocks people to find out that Boxing actually used to contain (and still does in some cases) a fair number of workable "Pressure Point" techniques.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions