Martial arts arguments

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He everyone this is my first post but I have been a martial artists for around 10 years. I started in ishinryu karate then moved to american kenpo karate which I have been doing for 8 years and am a first class brown belt. I also do some kickboxing training on the side.

One thing that always annoys me on the Internet is arguments about which style is better. Everyone's obviously going to prefer their own style. Why is it such a big deal about which one you thinks the best. As long as you enjoy it who cares what others think. Every martial art has it's weaknesses. Boxing has no kicks, kickboxing has no knees or elbows, karate has no ground, jiu jitsu has no punches and kicks. I know my styles aren't perfect but I still enjoy training and learning and getting better. That's what it's about not showing who's style is the best. You also get these arguments about whose style is better in a street fight well again who cares. As adults we shouldn't be thinking about getting in street fights and if you are attacked any martial can help you.

I think there should be less arguments about what we train we should all respect each other. We all put the time in to our chosen style. It's not about what we train it's the fact we do train

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Kenpoguy123. Hope you enjoy the forum.

I agree with you about the way people should get along online. Let's hope it's the way of the future.

But, you know the nature of the beast. :)

28bqohe.jpg

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Arguments? I see no such thing here......

To disagree can actually be a good thing. It makes you think. On the Internet if we all agreed with each other it would be very boring with not much learning going on.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Kenpoguy123. Hope you enjoy the forum.

I agree with you about the way people should get along online. Let's hope it's the way of the future.

But, you know the nature of the beast. :)

28bqohe.jpg

Well, I have to strongly disagree with that. Let me tell you why you're completely wrong ...;)

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He everyone this is my first post but I have been a martial artists for around 10 years. I started in ishinryu karate then moved to american kenpo karate which I have been doing for 8 years and am a first class brown belt. I also do some kickboxing training on the side.

One thing that always annoys me on the Internet is arguments about which style is better. Everyone's obviously going to prefer their own style. Why is it such a big deal about which one you thinks the best. As long as you enjoy it who cares what others think. Every martial art has it's weaknesses. Boxing has no kicks, kickboxing has no knees or elbows, karate has no ground, jiu jitsu has no punches and kicks. I know my styles aren't perfect but I still enjoy training and learning and getting better. That's what it's about not showing who's style is the best. You also get these arguments about whose style is better in a street fight well again who cares. As adults we shouldn't be thinking about getting in street fights and if you are attacked any martial can help you.

I think there should be less arguments about what we train we should all respect each other. We all put the time in to our chosen style. It's not about what we train it's the fact we do train

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think there should be less arguments ...
- When you punch, should your punching arm and your chest be in a straight line, or should it be a 90 degree angle.
- When you punch, should your hand come from your waist, or should it come from your head guard?
- When you withdraw your punch, should you pull something back, or should you come back with empty hand?
- When you block a punch, should your blocking hand be near your opponent's head, or should it be near to your own head?
- When you kick, should you pull your kicking leg back, or should you land your kicking foot away from you?
- When you move to your side, should you move your back leg first, or should you move your leading leg first?

MA is always a fun subject. Without different opinions, there will be no discussion.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

People still argue about that? I haven't noticed. I guess my Givacrap is broken again..

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's a silly debate, as everyone knows early Taekwondo/pre-taekwondo is, was, and will always be the most effective art anyway. I guess people just get sensitive when they do more evolved, or even sport TKD, or (poor sods) some completely separate martial art.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys there seems to be some confusion with the post. I wasn't referencing this site as I haven't spent much time on here and what I have seen everyone is lovely. I wasn't meaning discussion is bad but when people start saying "this style is garbage, you're obviously not a real martial artist, that sucks it'd never work in ufc" stuff like that. Talking about different techniques is a very good thing as it helps learning. I was referencing sites like YouTube where there's arguments about styles all the time

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think as long as you're specific about what sucks and why, and can support your position with a reasonable rationale, knock yourself out. If you're being specific about what sucks, you should have no issues with style bashing. Problems occur when people paint with too broad a brush and fail to be specific.

On the other side, there are a lot of people here who see what they expect to see, which perpetuates a lot of these meaningless arguments. Just keep your sense of humor. It's like that old Far Side cartoon, "What Dogs Hear:" The difference is you might say, "BJJ schools that focus on competition often fail to address practical self defense. That sucks." Some will only hear, "BJJ blah blah blah sucks." Three pages later, come to find out, everyone agrees with the initial statement. Just that people saw, "BJJ.... sucks." and go RAR!!! BJJ DOES NOT SUCK! RAR!!!! (To be clear, BJJ does not suck! RAR!!! :))

We had a thread on Wing Chun anti-grappling not too long ago where I believe literally everyone in the thread agreed that the example of anti-grappling shared was horrible, but people still insisted on arguing for pages. It was surreal.

far-side-cartoon-what-dogs-hear.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Saying we shouldn't argue is looking like saying we should all train the same style. My style is better that is why I do it. Your style is better that is why you do it.

Conversation is sparring.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a silly debate, as everyone knows early Taekwondo/pre-taekwondo is, was, and will always be the most effective art anyway. I guess people just get sensitive when they do more evolved, or even sport TKD, or (poor sods) some completely separate martial art.

Pshh.. TKD has nothing on ameridote.

GGjciods

White Belt
Reaction score
Hah, the nature of beast. I also agree with you. The people should do something to suit for the future.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Saying we shouldn't argue is looking like saying we should all train the same style. My style is better that is why I do it. Your style is better that is why you do it.

Interesting analogy. I can think of specific posts on this forum from different posters where this is true. But taking the analogy a bit further, I can also think of posts that are more like a compliant drill. There are more than a few people here who agree or disagree with people based on who they are or in what style they train rather than what they're actually posting.

Some posters approach conversation like a flow drill, or perhaps light sparring. Some approach it like it's a street fight.

To be more specific, I'd say that debate in its classic form is akin to sparring. Once the emotions start entering the picture, it's more fighting than sparring. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I will take it a step further. You can't really talk about martial arts at all. Not just about what style is 'better', but what any style actually is, or how a particular technique works (or doesn't work), a given instructor's lineage, and so on and so forth. I've just come back from a long hiatus that was due to that very reason. I may or may not stick around, we'll see. But really, all I have to add now is pleasantries. Martial arts. We do them. We like them. End of story.

PS - I'm Isshin-Ryu, which is of course the best. Just sayin'.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

For you, perhaps. Not for everybody. I'll express an opinion (and I do try to make it clear when it's an opinion) or a fact. If there is a question, I'll try to clarify or expand. But I rarely bother with internet arguments. I'm quite willing to let you (the generic you) have the last word.

If that makes you feel like you've won something, that's fine.

Latest Discussions