Martial arts arguments

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
and so it begins...watch

not beer....DARK BEER!!!!!! any other choice in beer is wrong,,,which then leads to...you are foolish, misguided, deranged, and/or morally suspect ...And a poopy headed booger eater as well.... on the beer bits....not the whiskey bits :D

And any self-respecting Zuiquan practitioner would agree :D
There was a beer I had in Germany once, while on a roadtrip down to Munich for Oktoberfest. This particular beer was somewhere in Southern Germany (Munchengladbach, or thereabouts) and made by the monks. I don't recall what it was called or exactly where I had it (this was 25 years ago), but I know it was a doppelbock. Dark, thick and a little sweet, and probably about 13% ABV! Pretty delicious. The label had an image of two monks standing up with a bench stuck to their butts. The story I recall is that when fasting, drinking beer wasn't considered to be breaking their fast, and so they would make it really thick and strong. Liquid bread. They would know when it was finished by pouring some on a bench to see if it would stick. Obviously, there is some exaggeration in the myth here, but the story was good and the beer was, too.

And it was served, as I recall, at "cellar" temperature, which was somewhere between ice cold and warm. :D

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There was a beer I had in Germany once, while on a roadtrip down to Munich for Oktoberfest. This particular beer was somewhere in Southern Germany (Munchengladbach, or thereabouts) and made by the monks. I don't recall what it was called or exactly where I had it (this was 25 years ago), but I know it was a doppelbock. Dark, thick and a little sweet, and probably about 13% ABV! Pretty delicious. The label had an image of two monks standing up with a bench stuck to their butts. The story I recall is that when fasting, drinking beer wasn't considered to be breaking their fast, and so they would make it really thick and strong. Liquid bread. They would know when it was finished by pouring some on a bench to see if it would stick. Obviously, there is some exaggeration in the myth here, but the story was good and the beer was, too.

And it was served, as I recall, at "cellar" temperature, which was somewhere between ice cold and warm. :D
Paulaner Salvator, perhaps?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Paulaner Salvator, perhaps?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
No, but that's an amazing guess. The dopplebocks all have names that end with "-ator." The Salvator is a pretty famous one. One that was really popular around Hahn AB, where I was stationed, was the Parkbrau Pirminator. As you can see, the monks featured heavily in the labeling for this particular type of brew. :)

Parkbrau-Pirminator-Labels-Parkbrauerei-AG-Pirmasens_52713-1.jpg

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont mean to brag but I am one of the best debaters since ever... my starting arguments consist of either "im right your wrong" or "because I said so" and counter arguments consist of "haters going to hate" or "im right your wrong" (and stick my tongue out)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am one of the best debaters since ever...
The best debater that I have met in my life likes to use the following statement, "I may agree with you today, but I reserve my right not to if I can find any reason in the future."

That guy would disagree with me everything that I tried to say. When I suggest plan A over plan B, he would say, "You are wrong, plan B is better than plan A." So whenever I tried to get his support on plan A, I would say "I like plan B over plan A." When he disagree with me and I agree with him, I will get his support on plan A.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, down in the WC dept. we have a guy who really seems to have gotten this argument thing down pat. He goes off on a variety of topics and whenever anyone agrees or disagrees with him he responds along the following lines:

\
"Shake it off."
\
"Good luck with that."

Those that do try argue with him are met by an impenetrable barrage of such disjointed or tangential thinking that it is impossible to either agree or disagree. Utterly confused I just shake it off and hope for good luck with that. :confused:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, down in the WC dept. we have a guy who really seems to have gotten this argument thing down pat. He goes off on a variety of topics and whenever anyone agrees or disagrees with him he responds along the following lines:

\
"Shake it off."
\
"Good luck with that."

Those that do try argue with him are met by an impenetrable barrage of such disjointed or tangential thinking that it is impossible to either agree or disagree. Utterly confused I just shake it off and hope for good luck with that. :confused:

Hence.

AuTGBKDCQAA75oa.jpg

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

\
"Shake it off."
\
"Good luck with that."

An irrational problem is not always solved with a rational answer o_O

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
This thread is kind of all over the place. Can we try to bring it back on track, and maybe take some of the other stuff to a new thread...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
down in the WC dept.
I try to stay away from "pure" WC argument.

Does WC has

- hook punch,
- upper cut,
- downward elbow,
- upward elbow,
- roundhouse kick,
- flying knee,
- ... ?

If you say

- yes, people will say, "Your WC is not pure."
- no, people will say "My WC linkage has all". When you ask, "Which move of which WC form has ... ?" People will say, "Even if it's not in the forms, it doesn't mean it's not in the WC system."

It's just like to argue whether Judo has punches/kicks, it's a lose-lose argument no matter which opinion that you may take.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try to stay away from "pure" WC argument.

Does WC has

- hook punch,
- upper cut,
- downward elbow,
- upward elbow,
- roundhouse kick,
- flying knee,
- ... ?

If you say

- yes, people will say, "Your WC is not pure."
- no, people will say "My WC linkage has all". When you ask, "Which move of which WC form has ... ?" People will say, "Even if it's not in the forms, it doesn't mean it's not in the WC system."

It's just like to argue whether Judo has punches/kicks, it's a lose-lose argument no matter which opinion that you may take.

John, I guess you noticed my "WC upward elbow" thread then. Anyway, I like your input regardless of whether or not I completely agree. Considering your lifetime of experience in TCMA, people would be pretty dumb to outright dismiss your opinions. Of course there are a lot of dummies out there! ...but I try not to let them overly influence my participation here on MT.

BTW the guy I was referring to in the previous post is not a WC practitioner. Apparently, he just drops in to stir the pot. ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
drops in to stir the pot. ;)
There are different kind of members in this forum. Those who would like to

1. ask questions and get answers.
2. exchange opinion.
3. argue.

I believe we all know each others position well enough in this forum. For people who belongs to the

- 1st category, we try to share our experience and offer as much help as we can.
- 2nd category, we express our opinions, let others to express their opinions, and move on.
- 3rd category, we may be able to prevent the argument during the early stage. But how, that can be art.

IMO, some threads are just not worthwhile to get involved. For example, threads such as:

- Which style is the best for self-defense?
- Does WC have upward elbow?

You will get into argument no matter what you may say.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, some threads are just not worthwhile to get involved. For example, threads such as:

- Which style is the best for self-defense?
- Does WC have upward elbow?

You will get into argument no matter what you may say.

Actually, the name of that thread was "Does your WC have an upward elbow". Some branches favor that technique, some don't. But lately I've been finding more applications for it in my WC, so I wanted to get input from the rest, like whether they have it in their version of the forms, etc. And I got really good input. There was no argument ...yet, anyway. (Don't want to jinx the thread!)

My point is that people who have mutual respect can discuss, disagree, even argue politely, and sometimes both parties come away the wiser.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, the name of that thread was "Does your WC have an upward elbow". Some branches favor that technique, some don't. But lately I've been finding more applications for it in my WC, so I wanted to get input from the rest, like whether they have it in their version of the forms, etc. And I got really good input. There was no argument ...yet, anyway. (Don't want to jinx the thread!)

My point is that people who have mutual respect can discuss, disagree, even argue politely, and sometimes both parties come away the wiser.

Provided you are willing to engage in conversation. Which may mean argument.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or Sinanju.
Pfft. Sinanju. Just another antique Korean TMA with no relevance to the modern world ...

*Hey grandpa, how did you get in here? This is a private residence. Get out of here, I'm busy correcting people on the internet.
*Hey, what are you doing? Let go! Oww! Arrgh! Aaaahh!

Upon due reflection, I would like to like to retract my slanderous statements regarding Sinanju, the glorious sun-source of all martial arts. I regret any offense my hurtful words might have caused to any practitioners of Sinanju, particularly his most wise, humble, benevolent, and merciful awesome magnificence, the Master of Sinanju, Chiun.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many of us train to make ourselves better people by continuously improving ourselves.
Any style should help you be better in a fight than having no formal training. So find something you enjoy, and put your efforts into making it your own.
(Besides, everyone knows the ultimate style is the 3rd grade slap-fight style)