Martial arts arguments

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting analogy. I can think of specific posts on this forum from different posters where this is true. But taking the analogy a bit further, I can also think of posts that are more like a compliant drill. There are more than a few people here who agree or disagree with people based on who they are or in what style they train rather than what they're actually posting.

Some posters approach conversation like a flow drill, or perhaps light sparring. Some approach it like it's a street fight.

To be more specific, I'd say that debate in its classic form is akin to sparring. Once the emotions start entering the picture, it's more fighting than sparring. :)

Interesting to see those that endorse compliant drill and the way they view communication vs those that endorse resistance.

How far your can push robust debate depends how quickly your feelings get hurt.
Important social rules in Australia

The only way people learn about classic argument and therefore critical thinking is through internet arguments. And yes it is a much more brash version. As befits the internet.

Now the interesting thing about the internet is the concern of creating an echo chamber.
The web's 'echo chamber' leaves us none the wiser (Wired UK)

I can now easily get information that only supports my veiw. Which I am sure would make me feel happier about myself but ultimately will make me an idiot.

I would prefer the emoticons.

f_7c96fe9bd5.jpg

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • For you, perhaps. Not for everybody. I'll express an opinion (and I do try to make it clear when it's an opinion) or a fact. If there is a question, I'll try to clarify or expand. But I rarely bother with internet arguments. I'm quite willing to let you (the generic you) have the last word.
If that makes you feel like you've won something, that's fine.

Really?

(Finding some quotes)

I mean you do this a bit.

This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have heard. Possibly THE most ridiculous this month.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?

(Finding some quotes)

I mean you do this a bit.

Yes. I expressed an opinion (I think it's pretty clear that I'm expressing my opinion) and then moved on.

Now I hope I've answered your question. And I'll be moving on again. Feel free to have the last word on this subject too, if it makes you feel like a winner.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will take it a step further. You can't really talk about martial arts at all. Not just about what style is 'better', but what any style actually is, or how a particular technique works (or doesn't work), a given instructor's lineage, and so on and so forth. I've just come back from a long hiatus that was due to that very reason. I may or may not stick around, we'll see. But really, all I have to add now is pleasantries. Martial arts. We do them. We like them. End of story.

PS - I'm Isshin-Ryu, which is of course the best. Just sayin'.

Hope you stick around. (Just sayin')

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I expressed an opinion and then moved on.
Old Chinese saying said, "If you meet with a good friend, you may drink with him for 1,000 rounds. If you meet a stranger who can't careless about what you may say, even 1/2 sentence coming out of your mouth may be too much."

If someone

- appreciates your information and asks for more, you don't mind to spend next 10 posts to provide more information.
- don't appreciate your information and want to argue, there is no need to continue.

People may say, ""but you are not willing to discuss." Sometime you just want to express your opinion, no more and no less.

For example, when I said, "Some Chinese MA instructors don't like to teach Japanese students." If someone asks, "Why?" I truly don't want to get into that WWII discussion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. I expressed an opinion (I think it's pretty clear that I'm expressing my opinion) and then moved on.

Now I hope I've answered your question. And I'll be moving on again. Feel free to have the last word on this subject too, if it makes you feel like a winner.

So you express an opinion without regard to the persons reply?

Why?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I find interesting here is that a thread titled "Martial arts arguments" that says....

He everyone this is my first post but I have been a martial artists for around 10 years. I started in ishinryu karate then moved to american kenpo karate which I have been doing for 8 years and am a first class brown belt. I also do some kickboxing training on the side.

One thing that always annoys me on the Internet is arguments about which style is better. Everyone's obviously going to prefer their own style. Why is it such a big deal about which one you thinks the best. As long as you enjoy it who cares what others think. Every martial art has it's weaknesses. Boxing has no kicks, kickboxing has no knees or elbows, karate has no ground, jiu jitsu has no punches and kicks. I know my styles aren't perfect but I still enjoy training and learning and getting better. That's what it's about not showing who's style is the best. You also get these arguments about whose style is better in a street fight well again who cares. As adults we shouldn't be thinking about getting in street fights and if you are attacked any martial can help you.

I think there should be less arguments about what we train we should all respect each other. We all put the time in to our chosen style. It's not about what we train it's the fact we do train

has degraded into an argument...and it is always the same posters that start these arguments these days too...... Kenpoguy123...I feel your pain... I'm out, I shall not waste my time on the argumentative types anymore...they are simply not worth it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I find interesting here is that a thread titled "Martial arts arguments" that says....

has degraded into an argument...and it is always the same posters that start these arguments these days too...... Kenpoguy123...I feel your pain... I'm out, I shall not waste my time on the argumentative types anymore...they are simply not worth it.
Yeah, but it's not an argument over which style is better, it's an argument over the proper way to have a conversation! Completely different thing! :rolleyes:

Next up, someone can start a post saying they're annoyed by all these arguments over the proper way to have a conversation and we can use that thread to have an argument over the best brands of beer.:D

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's not an argument over which style is better, it's an argument over the proper way to have a conversation! Completely different thing! :rolleyes:

Next up, someone can start a post saying they're annoyed by all these arguments over the proper way to have a conversation and we can use that thread to have an argument over the best brands of beer.:D
"A herd of martial artists gets together and a fight breaks out; quelle surprise." -Chas Clements

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Never cared for beer. So from my perspective, the answer is that there is no "best"; they're all nasty.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never cared for beer. So from my perspective, the answer is that there is no "best"; they're all nasty.
I'm a teetotaler myself, but it seemed like a good random topic for folks to argue about. I figure that I could be the neutral moderator awarding style points for posts explaining how the other disputants are foolish, misguided, deranged, and/or morally suspect.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well all I have to say on the beer topic is if you drink beer and you are not drinking dark beer...and it MUST be warm....you are foolish, misguided, deranged, and/or morally suspect :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well all I have to say on the beer topic is if you drink beer and you are not drinking dark beer...and it MUST be warm....you are foolish, misguided, deranged, and/or morally suspect :D

And a poopy headed booger eater as well.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is striking in Jujutsu and Jiujitsu.

Just FYI.

But Karate having no ground, that's a definite problem. ;)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
- When you punch, should your punching arm and your chest be in a straight line, or should it be a 90 degree angle.
- When you punch, should your hand come from your waist, or should it come from your head guard?
- When you withdraw your punch, should you pull something back, or should you come back with empty hand?
- When you block a punch, should your blocking hand be near your opponent's head, or should it be near to your own head?
- When you kick, should you pull your kicking leg back, or should you land your kicking foot away from you?
- When you move to your side, should you move your back leg first, or should you move your leading leg first?

...QUOTE]

Yes, of course.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What the... has to be warm? I don't know about that. I drank more than my share of beer in Europe and never had a warm one. Not typically ice cold, but certainly not... warm. {shudder}

Beer is fine, but really, give me a generous pour of whiskey (or a whisky) over beer any day. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

And a poopy headed booger eater as well.

All right! Drinkers of cold and/or non-dark beer, you have been called out! Who will step forth to defend their honor?

Actually, scratch that. This is supposed to be a martial arts forum and we are getting significantly off-topic.

New debate topic: what is the best alcoholic beverage to get you in the proper frame of mind for practicing Drunken Style Kung Fu (Zui Quan)? Is it warm, dark beer or something else? Remember that opposing views are the province of morally suspect booger eaters and should be treated as such. Ready, begin!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All right! Drinkers of cold and/or non-dark beer, you have been called out! Who will step forth to defend their honor?

Actually, scratch that. This is supposed to be a martial arts forum and we are getting significantly off-topic.

New debate topic: what is the best alcoholic beverage to get you in the proper frame of mind for practicing Drunken Style Kung Fu (Zui Quan)? Is it warm, dark beer or something else? Remember that opposing views are the province of morally suspect booger eaters and should be treated as such. Ready, begin!

and so it begins...watch

What the... has to be warm? I don't know about that. I drank more than my share of beer in Europe and never had a warm one. Not typically ice cold, but certainly not... warm. {shudder}

Beer is fine, but really, give me a generous pour of whiskey (or a whisky) over beer any day. :)

not beer....DARK BEER!!!!!! any other choice in beer is wrong,,,which then leads to...you are foolish, misguided, deranged, and/or morally suspect ...And a poopy headed booger eater as well.... on the beer bits....not the whiskey bits :D

And any self-respecting Zuiquan practitioner would agree :D

Latest Discussions