Martial Arts And Clothing

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering how those on the board garb themselves when not in training.

I don't wear jeans, and don't buy clothing that won't allow me to raise my knee freely. When I wear shoes, they are plain and ordinary, but not heavily weighted. I tend to buy two pairs of the same shoe; one to casually wear, the other to practice in. I know many martial artists who have never considered practicing their kicks with shoes on.

When I wear shirts, especially casual attire, I make sure the cloth is durable and the seems reinforced, especially along the sleeves and body of the t-shirt. I have had many in the past I practiced in which would tear.

So how do you dress for the street? I am kind of looking for ideas to do this better.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear anything I feel like wearing. Jeans, suits, sweats, shorts, t-shirts, ties. I also have practiced in all of the above and in snow suits also. Boots, sandals, dress shoes and sneakers, have all been on my feet for practice because thats what I wear outside of training

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For ordinary days, I prefer well broken in and comfortable blue jeans, I can kick head level in mine without an embarrassing incident. I avoid tight jeans. I prefer T-shirt with a hoodie this time of year. I add or remove layers as needed for thermoregulation. I have a bomber jacket that is actually a cheap vinyl knock off that prefer to my real leather jacket because it's much more light and flexible and easy to move in.
I spend a lot of time in combat boots for my work so when I am off I usually wear low cut Doc Martins because they feel like boots and they last forever!
On dressier occasions I usually ditch the hoodie and bomber in favor of a button down shirt, possibly a neck tie and more formal jacket. Plenty of dress slacks are loose enough to fight in. The dressier jackets can be kind of confining at the elbow and shoulder.
I get a lot of my jeans second hand from the Goodwill. I can afford new jeans and have several pairs but I prefer the ones that have been worn a bit. Plus there is something to be said for reusing and recycling a $50 pair of jeans for $5.00.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incidentally 5 minutes with a brush and a can of Kiwi and my doc martins become dress shoes like magic.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Usually a simple tee or top blouse and jeans all covered by a jacket or coat do it for me. This is St. Petersburg, so I don't really dress down. Moscow's a couple more hundred miles west. :p As for shoes, I wear my trusty comfy Adidas sneakers (everyone here seems to wear Adidas something - shoes, jogging pants, you name it).

Ushanka optional; heavily recommended toward the end of fall.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not at work, or not working I tend toward sweats. At work I tend towards business casual. Working around the house, in warm weather I tend towards jeans, working outside in the winter I tend towards Dickie's Coveralls and things Cahartt.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear a form fitting shirt and pants, both are blue, with light weight boots that are red. My shirt has the insignia of my family on my chest which is coincidently my initial. The shirt and pants are very tight and actually are connected together, I wear red underpants over everything too, and a red cape :)

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to wear jeans and button-up shirts, if not t-shirts. But, I also tend to train in jeans and a t-shirt, and even shoes, if the art / place I'm training allows.

I don't find jeans, shoes, or any of the shirts that I wear to be restrictive. But then, I'm very thin and I don't practice high kicks, so...

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our system is primarily low kicking as well but I can't resist practicing them up high from time to time. :astronaut:

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our system is primarily low kicking as well but I can't resist practicing them up high from time to time. :astronaut:

I'm also not that flexible in my lower body, so I can't really get up there even if I want to :D

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think by and large if you are wearing clothes that fit you properly you should be able to fight in them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well most often it's Hunter wellies, flat cap and a battered Barbour jacket, sometimes it's a Girl Guide leader's uniform other times it's trackies and t shirt. Posh clothes though for going out though with heels of course.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever I grab. If I'm at work or during the work week, it's probably work related. Weekend wear is whatever. Training gear is training gear. Whatever I do in one, I do in all.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than the much lighter fabric, there's no much difference between scrubs and a dobak....
I favor cargo pants and t-shirts or polo shirts otherwise. Not particularly tight. Loose is more comfortable and makes concealing a handgun easier.
Even in a tuxedo, I could kick to whatever target presented itself. Might split the pants or jacket, I suppose, but if there is a physical confrontation I really don't think exposing my underwear is something that I will be concerned with.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whenever I fight people I am usually in a uniform. And apart from some very rare occasions I have not noticed an effect.

If I was to wear fighting apparel probably knee pads would be a big thing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I usually wear tactical/cargo pants or shorts because I hate carrying my phone and wallet in my back pockets, so they go into the leg pockets. My work uniform is the same so there really isn't a difference (besides color) in my work and regular clothes. At work I wear hiking boots at othe times just basketball or tennis shoes. Shirt is usually a t-shirt and jacket depending on weather. I teach my martial art in the same clothes and shoes so there isn't any discrepancy between dojo and street.

If really pressed I can kick head high (I did it class tonight), but that really isn't a big part of my current art, but more an example of how my clothing doesn't restrict my activities.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually wear tactical shorts (need the pockets for my toys to reside) tee shirts loose fitting for conceal carry. If the temp is low enough for warmer wear tactical pants and a compression shirt with a long sleeve loose fitting top shirt and a loose fitting jacket. Sandals are my regular footwear.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess it where you at or what you do for a job.

Lucky here people dress very casual so restrictions of movement is not a problem.

And t-shirt and shorts all the way. Move to Florida if you want super casual. In the Miami area it is very causal, lots of t-shirt and shorts and flip flops.

Where in Dallas and Arlington Texas it was less causal.

The north east part of the US gets really cold a lot so you see lot of people waring sweat pants. Where in the south it gets too hot to wear sweatpants 95% of the time. So you don't see people in sweatpants 95% of the time and very much so Florida. More of this on the west coat or north east part of the US where it is not has hot.

And lose pants or lose sweats will do better in fight than pants that are too hard or sweats that are too thick that will restrict movement.

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whoa...Whoa...hold on a minute...all you guys wear clothes?
You mean to tell me that this isn't the nudist martial arts discussion forum??
o_O
lol

I usually wear things that are close fitting but with flexibility. I don't like clothing that constricts me under normal circumstances, so in the terms of MA applicability it was all quite convenient.
L

Latest Discussions