Next move from standing collar grip.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already in position standing holding each others dobak collar at the front with both hands.

Whats your next move?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're both holding the others dobak?
My next move would be to wonder what the hell I was doing getting involved in a monkey dance, and in such a foolish way.

After that... it depends on the exact body positions, sizes, strengths, reason for the conflict, and how threatened I feel.
I might kick. I might punch. I might choke. I might throw. I might do a release. I might turn loose with one hand, draw my gun, and shoot them.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Already in position standing holding each others dobak collar at the front with both hands.

Whats your next move?
Head butt or knee to groin, upward shin kick, step behind and take down, hip throw, sacrifice throw, plus many more if you are allowed to let go.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should mention in sparring situation.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're both holding the others dobak?
My next move would be to wonder what the hell I was doing getting involved in a monkey dance, and in such a foolish way.

After that... it depends on the exact body positions, sizes, strengths, reason for the conflict, and how threatened I feel.
I might kick. I might punch. I might choke. I might throw. I might do a release. I might turn loose with one hand, draw my gun, and shoot them.

A release is to break their hold on your collar?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Whats your next move?
I just lay back, wait for him to provide tension, and use that for stability to jump up, and wrap my legs, around his head. :)

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Im feeling some sort of a push/pull trip or throw, but if you dont have groundwork experience thats probably a bad idea....

You could slip one hand up behind the head, and elbow with the other

Really unless you plan on continuing to grapple with him, youd have to break his hold on your collar.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im feeling some sort of a push/pull trip or throw, but if you dont have groundwork experience thats probably a bad idea....

You could slip one hand up behind the head, and elbow with the other

Really unless you plan on continuing to grapple with him, youd have to break his hold on your collar.

Yes. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

Is this using footwork and twisting hips whip like, with a push with your own collar hold to release?

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just lay back, wait for him to provide tension, and use that for stability to jump up, and wrap my legs, around his head. :)

I have one guy I train with that does that when we are start sparring with this grip, he goes to jelly and circles around with me if I try for a throw etc. I'm definitely less patient, and others I spar are as well.

But this took me off guard and I was struggling to get control and wasted a lot of energy trying to use strength for a take down, where I likely should have been going for a release.

Head butt or knee to groin, upward shin kick, step behind and take down, hip throw, sacrifice throw, plus many more if you are allowed to let go.

You'll have to tell me what a sacrifice throw is.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this using footwork and twisting hips whip like, with a push with your own collar hold to release?

What youre describing doesnt sound like itd break their hold on you, but i could be picturing the movement wrong.

one of the simplest way to break their collar would be to bring the arm up and over theirs, and drive down with your elbow using all your weight. You could actually take them all the way to the ground if you keep it tight, but youd have to sacrifice your grip on their collar.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd shove, cross grip the lapel, my other hand going to the back of the neck, which is something I tend to get away with, jump guard and collar choke.

Not something I'd recommend, but it's something I've always done. (hey, we all got our thing)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Whats your next move?
If your opponent wants to be close to you, you should help him to be closer to you more than he really wants to. The same way as you try to deal with the "double neck tie", you try to wrap your opponent as an octopus wraps on a fish.

octopus.jpg

double_neck_tie.jpg

- Control your opponent's collar grip (or neck tie) arm and take his grip as your free contact point, pin his arm on your chest,

arm_control.jpg

- Slide your collar grip arm into a head lock, and
- "Slant cut" his leading leg.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be one way, but there are plenty of others.
Like, say... put your right hand on top of their arm at the elbow. Put your left hand under their other elbow. Step back with your right foot while lifting with your left hand and pulling down with your right.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably wizzer.

But why waste an opportunity.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different things. I would probably let go of his collar and do a snake-hole technique and transition it to an arm bar.
Or if I was feeling kind of frisky I might just shove two fingers into the suprasternal notch with one hand and execute an outside wrist lock with the other.
Of course kicking to distract etc. Standard..

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different things. I would probably let go of his collar and do a snake-hole technique and transition it to an arm bar.
Or if I was feeling kind of frisky I might just shove two fingers into the suprasternal notch with one hand and execute an outside wrist lock with the other.
Of course kicking to distract etc. Standard..

Those sound good, but I am not sure I know what you mean by a snake-hole technique. Is that a wrist twist?

First I am with Dirty Dog. Why would I grab their collars as well? As any grappler knows, that is because there are too many counters. I might grab both his hands, violently twist them outside to the palms being upwards, and hold his hands tight to my chest as I step way back with one foot, spraining or breaking his wrists. I can then strike or kick as I wish.

Since I have no desire to grab his lapels, if he tries to hip throw me I have several devastating moves, from a simple strike upwards into the xiphoid process as I step forward with his turn (careful, it can be a death blow), or a strike to his kidney, forcing him on his face, as I place my knee into his, then grab his ankle and hyper-extend his knee as I fall forward and strike any handy place on his back with my opposite elbow. Or, I could step with his turn and place my hand around his neck, continue my step into a spin as I drop by bending my knee and throw his neck and head as far as I can. His body will follow.

Sound familiar Instructor?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions