Macho vs. Century

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You got to use the right glove for the right task

No, there a school. They have every right to demand certain standards for equipment used by there students. Some use branded gear as well as branded uniforms, in which case you got to buy it from the school. You don't join a hockey team and demand to wear your own jersey and colours. They can make whatever uniform and equipment requirements they want.

People buying gear elsewhere just means the school gets less in equipment sales and will have to make up that difference in some other way (ex higher tuition)

I can understand making money as a business, but I think they should upgrade their equipment standards to something that's at least decent. Buying specific uniform is one thing, but decent gear meant to protect students is different.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There isn't much on the market that will protect you against malicious or majorly careless actions.

True, but I was protected from that ONE time incident b/c I had good headgear on. And the nature of sparring, things can happen, such as the spiking of allowed power levels. This is not just at MMA gyms, but TMA ones too. People can get mad, and they crack heads.

The foam dipped gear is designed to provide protection for controlled contact, light to medium sparring. Not full contact or heavy contact. The head gear is intended to protect from accidental, moderate head contact and falls, not to be an alternative to boxing headgear.

Yes I understand this, but how is buying better, not a wiser choice should accidents happen? How is better gear, that's not that much more expensive, bad?

You wouldn't use label wrestling headgear as "crap" because it doesn't provide significant protection against blows to the head -- or a baseball umpire's chest protector as useless since it won't stop a bullet, would you? Different gear, different purposes -- but if you use them for what they're intended for -- they're fine.

Now you're making a straw-man argument. There's no striking in wrestling, while TKD and MMA shares the similar aspects of striking.

Also, when I was sparring vs. Wushu and Wing Chun schools, some people had Boxing type headgear with the full face mask. Some had Boxing gloves. Another Kung-Fu school had only, Boxing gloves, even though they were the cheap kind for $12.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OP: I need foam padded sparring gear for my class since that's what my school uses. Should I go with Macho or Century?
Sound advice:personally I haven't seen a difference between the two, so save the 10 bucks and go Century (or advising one if there is a difference).
Your advice: Both of those suck. Who cares if you're a TKD practitioner, which normally doesn't do a lot of heavy bag work? You need top-line fighting equipment in case you start doing some serious bag work all of a sudden. Plus what if one of your fellow students decides to randomly go crazy and smash your head into a wall? What will you do then? Wait...your instructor doesn't want you to get those because literally no one in your classes spar with them and it's not the gloves that the school uses? Clearly it's a huge red flag and the instructor is wrong, so just ignore what he says and try to get everyone to wear different gear.
I normally try to ignore it when people here are being this ridiculous, but there's a serious issue if you believe that what you gave was actually sound, useful or relevant in any way.

Please don't thank him for that advice. All that does is validate the advice to himself.

I already told you that I started with TKD. In some schools, there are people who will hit hard. Those Macho and Century are crap. He'll get his head cracked, and he'll wonder why. The main reason that the school sells that junk is the wholesale cost is low and the markup is profitable vs. the real gear where after a decent markup, it's very high. And noobs don't understand the value of decent gear to protect them and would cry at the price.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can understand making money as a business, but I think they should upgrade their equipment standards to something that's at least decent. Buying specific uniform is one thing, but decent gear meant to protect students is different.

From the type of sparring done with it, it is decent. It's also widely used, accepted by insurance companies, etc

If you are doing non contact sparring it's fine. If you join a kickboxing program that wants foam gear something is really, really wrong.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I already told you that I started with TKD. In some schools, there are people who will hit hard. Those Macho and Century are crap. He'll get his head cracked, and he'll wonder why. The main reason that the school sells that junk is the wholesale cost is low and the markup is profitable vs. the real gear where after a decent markup, it's very high. And noobs don't understand the value of decent gear to protect them and would cry at the price.
As I think I've stated twice now, if people are trying to crack his head open, even if it's out of "anger cause I wrecked him too hard" there is a much bigger problem than his sparring gear. From what he's stated, there's nothing to imply that there are people who will go all out in sparring, contactwise, and he actually implies the opposite.
He never stated the school sells it directly. The only thing close to that, was someone suggesting that he go and ask his instructor if they do, and if not if the instructor recommends one over the other. Nothing in there to suggest their trying to scam money at all.
He wasn't crying about the price at all, something that's been said to you multiple times. He was comparing foam padded gear, and wanted to know if there was anything special about macho that made it more expensive than ceentury.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I think I've stated twice now, if people are trying to crack his head open, even if it's out of "anger cause I wrecked him too hard" there is a much bigger problem than his sparring gear.

You probably just don't have enough experience in different and many gyms then. And you didn't
even understand what I said. Do you think that I said that this happens on a regular basis?

From what he's stated, there's nothing to imply that there are people who will go all out in sparring, contactwise, and he actually implies the opposite.

Are you serious? He's a noob WHITE BELT who doesn't even have his sparring gear yet. How would he know any of this?

He never stated the school sells it directly. The only thing close to that, was someone suggesting that he go and ask his instructor if they do, and if not if the instructor recommends one over the other. Nothing in there to suggest their trying to scam money at all.

I wasn't responding specifically to him but to either you or some other guy who said something about the school selling the gear.

He wasn't crying about the price at all, something that's been said to you multiple times. He was comparing foam padded gear, and wanted to know if there was anything special about macho that made it more expensive than ceentury.

They're both lousy.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wear no gloves on the heavy bag. It strengthens your knuckles and fist, idk why people feel the need to wear them on the heavy bag to be honest. The bag is made to be hit and doesn't need to be protected from being hit.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From the type of sparring done with it, it is decent. It's also widely used, accepted by insurance companies, etc

If you are doing non contact sparring it's fine. If you join a kickboxing program that wants foam gear something is really, really wrong.

My point was, I'd rather spend an extra $50 in case someone makes a mistake or don't have good control or gets mad or one of the guy who wants to go harder or all the above. He's a noob, so let him get his first concussion and find out the hard way. Or did you think that nobody in TKD classes ever got hit hard or dropped before?

People in Kickboxing, Muay Thai, etc. also starts out as noobs and when we let them spar in the beginning, it's ALWAYS light sparring. But we don't tell them to go out and buy the crappiest gear possible to save money and risk getting injured. Most people in Muay Thai classes don't even fight, only about 10% actually fights....and we still don't tell them to buy junk gear. Even for drills, you'd want decent gear, not the crappiest.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was, I'd rather spend an extra $50 in case someone makes a mistake or don't have good control or gets mad or one of the guy who wants to go harder or all the above. He's a noob, so let him get his first concussion and find out the hard way. Or did you think that nobody in TKD classes ever got hit hard or dropped before?

People in Kickboxing, Muay Thai, etc. also starts out as noobs and when we let them spar in the beginning, it's ALWAYS light sparring. But we don't tell them to go out and buy the crappiest gear possible to save money and risk getting injured. Most people in Muay Thai classes don't even fight, only about 10% actually fights....and we still don't tell them to buy junk gear. Even for drills, you'd want decent gear, not the crappiest.

That's not what you said....and, for muay thai, the gear asked about would not be appropriate. For other classes, it's what would be required. (Not mine, where we spar bareknuckle, full-contact, mind you, but that's just us....) Having worn boxing gloves, though-a lot- I can say that they're almost no good for grabbing, and only marginal for delivering knife-hands or ridge-hands: all tools that karate sparring or TKD sparring might use. So the earlier analogy of using a wrestler's headgear for head protection in sparring stands: wrestler's earguards are to prevent cauliflower ear, not concussions from strikes, and Century and Macho sparring gear are meant to provide moderate protection against contact in limited sparring situations, not for muay thai or boxing.

Now, about that heavy bag.........
rolling.gif

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you serious? He's a noob WHITE BELT who doesn't even have his sparring gear yet. How would he know any of this?

So everyone who uses foam dipped sparring gear is a noob in your eyes? For one I am not a white belt, and like I have stated several times, my inquiry was on the difference between the quality of Macho and Century. I am 100% aware that foam dipped gear is not proffesional grade equipment and bag equipment, I didn't need your expertise to figure that out. My question was geared to see if there is better quality foam dipped gear, as we ONLY use foam dipped gear. Then you stated that since our instructor doesn't let us just bring whatever gear we wanted he must be scamming us. That is not the case, foam dipped is jus the preffered gear. If proffesional gear was the preffered gear , we would buy proffessional gear through the instructor, but that isn't the case. Unfortunately, I think that time your friend smahed your head into the wall may have removed your ability to answer a question, ecause all you have done is bashing on this thread, and not answered the question.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So everyone who uses foam dipped sparring gear is a noob in your eyes?

Well you're certainly a noob since you don't even have sparring gear yet.

For one I am not a white belt,

Then what belt are you?

and like I have stated several times, my inquiry was on the difference between the quality of Macho and Century. I am 100% aware that foam dipped gear is not proffesional grade equipment and bag equipment,

Neither was what I suggested that you buy, pro grade neither.

I didn't need your expertise to figure that out.

I don't believe you.

My question was geared to see if there is better quality foam dipped gear, as we ONLY use foam dipped gear. Then you stated that since our instructor doesn't let us just bring whatever gear we wanted he must be scamming us.

I wasn't talking to you. Not everything on the thread is about you.

That is not the case, foam dipped is jus the preffered gear. If proffesional gear was the preffered gear , we would buy proffessional gear through the instructor, but that isn't the case. Unfortunately, I think that time your friend smahed your head into the wall may have removed your ability to answer a question, ecause all you have done is bashing on this thread, and not answered the question.

Well no you're just crying because you don't like my answers.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:woot:
That's not what you said....

What did I say then, prove this.

and, for muay thai, the gear asked about would not be appropriate. For other classes, it's what would be required.

Obviously, the argument was about why couldn't people buy better gear for better protection?

(Not mine, where we spar bareknuckle, full-contact, mind you, but that's just us....)

Having worn boxing gloves, though-a lot- I can say that they're almost no good for grabbing, and only marginal for delivering knife-hands or ridge-hands: all tools that karate sparring or TKD sparring might use. So the earlier analogy of using a wrestler's headgear for head protection in sparring stands: wrestler's earguards are to prevent cauliflower ear, not concussions from strikes, and Century and Macho sparring gear are meant to provide moderate protection against contact in limited sparring situations, not for muay thai or boxing.

Now, about that heavy bag.........

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear no gloves on the heavy bag. It strengthens your knuckles and fist, idk why people feel the need to wear them on the heavy bag to be honest. The bag is made to be hit and doesn't need to be protected from being hit.

Can you post a quick video of how hard you can hit your heavy bag, bear knuckles? Thanks.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well you're certainly a noob since you don't even have sparring gear yet.

I do have sparring gear it's century branded foam dipped.

Then what belt are you?

Blue w/ a red stripe

Neither was what I suggested that you buy, pro grade neither.

I wouldn't buy gear appropriate for Muay Thai, Boxing, or MMA training, because I don't practice either of those three.

Well no you're just crying because you don't like my answers.

You never actually answered my question, you just stated your opinion on other gears, and bashed the gear I was talking about as a whole. You are the only one in this thread who didn't understand the question. I didn't ask how foam dipped gear compared non foam dipped gear, I asked what is the better foam gear out of the 2 I mentioned, then if there was a better foam gear manufacture besides the two. I never mentioned anything about using it for a heavy bag, or muay thai, you only assumed that I thought it was for those two.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You probably just don't have enough experience in different and many gyms then.
I've been to enough. All of the ones I go to/have gone to have a "no ego" attitude..if it doesn't have that attitude or people there have a short temper/are super macho, I leave and dont train there.
And you didn't even understand what I said. Do you think that I said that this happens on a regular basis?
If it happens at all that's more than enough.
First, he never said he's a white belt..it's entirely possible he trained in a different system that uses other gloves and he now has to transition, or that he's been at that place for a while, but they have a certain amount of time they have to train before their allowed to spar (i disagree with this thinking, but it happens a lot). In either case, he'd have an idea of what kind of atmosphere the place has, and the instructor can tell him how hard they spar.
I wasn't responding specifically to him but to either you or some other guy who said something about the school selling the gear.
It wasn't to me, and once again the guy never stated that the school does sell them. He just said to check with the instructor in case they do, or in case the instructor has a recommendation, nothing about the instructor making money off it.
They're both lousy.
How do you still not realize that this does not answer the equation. I'll try to simplify the conversation for you.
OP: I need a or b, which ones better?
You: C.
OP: C's not an option here.
You: Well, do C anyway, maybe people will follow you.
OP: But...I can't here. I can only do A or B.
You: Do C. A and B are lousy.

If you still can't understand, I'm done with this thread because either you will never realize what's wrong, or you realized a while ago and figured trolling to make yourself purposefully seem like an idiot and an a-hole is better than accidentally being an idiot and an a-hole.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do have sparring gear it's century branded foam dipped.

So now you're just looking to get the adult size now, that's why you asked about Macho vs. Century?

I wouldn't buy gear appropriate for Muay Thai, Boxing, or MMA training, because I don't practice either of those three.

The same gear for MT, etc. works just the same and better for your tippy tappy sparring.

You never actually answered my question, you just stated your opinion on other gears, and bashed the gear I was talking about as a whole. You are the only one in this thread who didn't understand the question. I didn't ask how foam dipped gear compared non foam dipped gear, I asked what is the better foam gear out of the 2 I mentioned, then if there was a better foam gear manufacture besides the two. I never mentioned anything about using it for a heavy bag, or muay thai, you only assumed that I thought it was for those two.

I already told you that they're bad news compared to much better gear you can buy for an extra $50. If you don't like this answer, then just move on and ignore me. I'm discussing this with more experienced people who do make good arguments that I'm interested in hearing.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been to enough. All of the ones I go to/have gone to have a "no ego" attitude..if it doesn't have that attitude or people there have a short temper/are super macho, I leave and dont train there.

Well if you've been to many schools than you should know that they all have this "no ego" attitude. Real life is rarely Karate Kid I's "Kobra Kai". And if you've sparred enough, you'd know that crap happens.

If it happens at all that's more than enough.

Well you're way too pessimistic. I like to look for the good in people and give them more chances.

First, he never said he's a white belt..it's entirely possible he trained in a different system that uses other gloves and he now has to transition, or that he's been at that place for a while, but they have a certain amount of time they have to train before their allowed to spar (i disagree with this thinking, but it happens a lot). In either case, he'd have an idea of what kind of atmosphere the place has, and the instructor can tell him how hard they spar.

It wasn't to me, and once again the guy never stated that the school does sell them. He just said to check with the instructor in case they do, or in case the instructor has a recommendation, nothing about the instructor making money off it.

How do you still not realize that this does not answer the equation. I'll try to simplify the conversation for you.
OP: I need a or b, which ones better?
You: C.
OP: C's not an option here.
You: Well, do C anyway, maybe people will follow you.
OP: But...I can't here. I can only do A or B.
You: Do C. A and B are lousy.

If you still can't understand, I'm done with this thread because either you will never realize what's wrong, or you realized a while ago and figured trolling to make yourself purposefully seem like an idiot and an a-hole is better than accidentally being an idiot and an a-hole.

I wasn't completely talking to him exclusively, in this thread.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you post a quick video of how hard you can hit your heavy bag, bear knuckles? Thanks.

Why do you want a video for? Anyway I can give the video, its just going to have to wait because the bag is at the gym and today is not a gym day but a rest day.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on what I'm working on... I'll wear a standard pair of leather or cotton work gloves, just to protect the skin on my hands a bit. Especially since my heavy bag is canvas... Other times, I'll use bag gloves. I might use an old pair of boxing gloves if I were to be training for a fight, because I want to build the endurance for the fight. But not because "I punch hard."

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on what I'm working on... I'll wear a standard pair of leather or cotton work gloves, just to protect the skin on my hands a bit. Especially since my heavy bag is canvas... Other times, I'll use bag gloves. I might use an old pair of boxing gloves if I were to be training for a fight, because I want to build the endurance for the fight. But not because "I punch hard."

Even with the canvas bag I still wore no gloves but this was my old personal one. It strengthened and toughened my skin at the cost of some blood on the bag.

This is why I wouldn't do that at a gyms bag and for a canvas bag I wore some hand wraps. I can understand wearing gloves for endurance, the extra weight helps with that.

Latest Discussions