Music while training.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
As much as I love to listen to some 80's training jams, such as "thunder in your heart" by John farhnum and anything from the Rocky series. I find that I actually perform worse while listening to music, specifically with headphones, and find it a distraction.

Does anyone else feel the same way? If not please share the songs you listen to while training.

Craig Brady

White Belt
Reaction score
Music is a great addition to training. Think of it logically, it can relax you which makes your techniques fluid or music can create tension, atmosphere making you work to overcome distraction. In no applicable, legal form of martial arts will be a calm and peaceful one, so why should you train completely under such circumstances? ALter it and change it up, find what works for you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We workout and Spar to music. But turn it off for techniques so we can hear what is being said.

Mostly hip hop. But it depends on who has the I phone.

And apparently I have video again.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When working out I generally listen to anything with a chorus, but primarily heavy stuff. If im focusing on that it can pump me up and/or distract me so I don't realize how long I was running for instance.
Oddly enough, when I was kickboxing, my instructor would always play eminem for the workout (he loved eminem) but then switch it to classical music or really mellow music when we spar. He had some sort of thought process that involved being calm with adrenaline during practice so you get used to it for the ring, I never really got it. I didn't mind though, it sort of became background noise.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As much as I love to listen to some 80's training jams, such as "thunder in your heart" by John farhnum and anything from the Rocky series. I find that I actually perform worse while listening to music, specifically with headphones, and find it a distraction.

Does anyone else feel the same way? If not please share the songs you listen to while training.
Well you should see me dancing around at work to a good song. It gets very violent. You gotta feel it, mang. :cool:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

depends what I'm working on. warmup, some conditioning and days when I feel lazy. Other than that I don't listen to music. It's more of the music with lyrics that break my focus. I tend to pay attention to the words instead of focusing on what I'm doing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Music is a great addition to training. Think of it logically, it can relax you which makes your techniques fluid or music can create tension, atmosphere making you work to overcome distraction. In no applicable, legal form of martial arts will be a calm and peaceful one, so why should you train completely under such circumstances? ALter it and change it up, find what works for you.
the theory is that you should be focused on your body and movement.
This way you can begin to learn how to control your body "at will". If you can't relax "at will" without music then you won't be able to relax while in a fight. When there's no music and a clear mind then there's nothing else to pay attention to except how your body is moving, how the muscles are working, how you being to loose balance before actually losing balance. You'll also pay more attention to your breathing as well as you try to get everything in your body to work as one.

If you don't care about any of that then Music is no problem. I think of it as walking through the woods taking nature photography. I see more when I'm focused on listening to the woods and looking for things in the woods and my movement through the woods, than I would if I had my headset on or if I was talking. The music and conversation makes it easier, but I see more when I'm focused.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
We workout and Spar to music. But turn it off for techniques so we can hear what is being said.

Mostly hip hop. But it depends on who has the I phone.

And apparently I have video again.

Do you train in a dojo or an mma gym?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't listen to music while training.

I agree with one of my Xingyiquan Sifus. If you listen to music it gets you into a rhythm and if you maintain that rhythm, sparring or fighting..... he is just going to hit you on the off beat.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't listen to music while training.

I agree with one of my Xingyiquan Sifus. If you listen to music it gets you into a rhythm and if you maintain that rhythm, sparring or fighting..... he is just going to hit you on the off beat.
You are either ready or you are not. Rhythm shouldn't screw up your timing, unless you let it.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like music. It's distracting during lessons but during sparring and warm ups, I like it. I think it helps with a laid back setting. I spent a year doing private lessons in TCMA and my instructor would play music and my old BJJ school would too. My current school is in a gym that blares music regardless if instruction is going on or not so we often pull down a pull down sectional/wall to block most of the sound.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found back in my Muay Thai gym-time I much enjoyed having the music going, random metal/hard rock, just something to push the rhythm and keep me moving and slightly distracted from the effort being expended.

I ended up using the music as a sort of "round timer" when doing bag-work. It worked well for me, since songs are "usually" in the 3 to 5 minute length range.

Yeah, every once in a while you'll get some long one, such as Metallica's Call Of Ktulu, over 8 minutes long and you just got to grin and bear it.

LeftchopFTW

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey my MT brothers and sisters!

I am from the UK and run a few classes in Karate weekdays.

I really do think music helps, not necessarily in terms of working you harder or driving you harder but to loosen you up and relax.

For the past couple of years I play a lot of Whale noises. I find they loosen my students up although they do not increase the work rate it really helps all of them express their true being. I work with vast ages and skill sets throughout the week and the Whale noises work a treat.

Below is a piece I have used before, can you please listen and give thoughts on whether it would help you guys?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I find that I can draw energy from music that has a good backbeat that you can dance to. In particular it seems like I can spar/grapple longer if I have the right beat to carry me along.

Theoretically, this should carry the risk Xue Sheng mentioned of getting sucked into moving with the rhythm in a predictable way, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find that I can draw energy from music that has a good backbeat that you can dance to. In particular it seems like I can spar/grapple longer if I have the right beat to carry me along.

Theoretically, this should carry the risk Xue Sheng mentioned of getting sucked into moving with the rhythm in a predictable way, but it hasn't been a problem so far.
Rhythm is not the boss of timing. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did capoeria. That is defined by its music.

And for those worried about having rhythm look up syncopation.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess the sounds of arms bashing or the little sound effects your sparring partner makes when your hit them just right, isnt good enough for you :D

Personally I dont listen to music while I train. Usually when I train ill either forget to or decide not to use music. That and I need whatever little focus and concentration I have so I dont end up roundhouse kicked in the mouth :oops:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess the sounds of arms bashing or the little sound effects your sparring partner makes when your hit them just right, isnt good enough for you :D

Personally I dont listen to music while I train. Usually when I train ill either forget to or decide not to use music. That and I need whatever little focus and concentration I have so I dont end up roundhouse kicked in the mouth :oops:
You will get popped in the mouth because of not keeping your guard up, not because you were feelin the groove. LOL

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use music often - I want to work from the rhythm of my opponent, and music tends to affect both sides, making that rhythm common. At the same time, there is a value to training with distractions and rhythm inducers - never know what the environment will be when I need to defend.