Macho vs. Century

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Macho sparring gear is a bit more pricey than Century's. Is the extra couple dollars per item (approx. $10 per gear set) worth it? Is the quality of the foam dipped padding better? or is it all the same?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You picked, probably, the 2 crappiest manufacturers of safety gear. Shinguards should cost $40-50. Gloves $50-70. Headgear $50-100. And this is for decent quality equipment. Bringing that Macho or Century crap into, say Muay Thai...and you're going to wreck yourself or the other guy you're sparring.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Macho and Century both make good equipment, WHEN USED FOR WHAT IT IS DESIGNED TO DO. Foam dipped safety gear is not a substitute for "real" boxing, MMA , or the like gear, and it's not supposed to be. Personally, I like Macho a little more. I think it's a bit better made. Century used to offer a little wider selection, and a wider range of gear, but I haven't checked the catalogs for a while. If you need or want heavier stuff, I like Ringside.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Macho headgear seems to be made of thicker foam than the Century one, for whatever that's worth. They're probably both a decent choice for people looking to do some light-to-medium-contact sparring a couple times a month.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You picked, probably, the 2 crappiest manufacturers of safety gear. Shinguards should cost $40-50. Gloves $50-70. Headgear $50-100. And this is for decent quality equipment. Bringing that Macho or Century crap into, say Muay Thai...and you're going to wreck yourself or the other guy you're sparring.

Foam dipped gear was not meant for Muay Thai... Century's Creed line of gear would work fine in that environment though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't bought either brand in over twenty years so I don't know the quality of what they're making now. But remember, the gear is meant to protect you. Your hands, your feet, your head, shins etc. You should try them all on while keeping that in mind.

If you're buying leather, headgear or gloves, you shouldn't let your buddies wear your gear, even when they forget theirs and whine. People's sweat have slightly different chemical components and blends rot leather quicker. What might have lasted you fifteen years might very well break down in seven or eight. (or get just plain nasty) And nothing is better than a pair of well broken in gloves or headgear molded to you over years of work.

And good gear lasts longer and works better than cheap gear.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't bought either brand in over twenty years so I don't know the quality of what they're making now. But remember, the gear is meant to protect you. Your hands, your feet, your head, shins etc.
Actually some of the gear is to protect you and some is to protect the opponent or training partner. Headgear is to protect your head, hand pads protect both, shinguards and foot pads protect the opponent or training partner. If you need to protect your feet when kicking then you shouldn't be kicking with your foot.
You should try them all on while keeping that in mind.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
All equipment should fit well, be comfortable and stay in place.
And good gear lasts longer and works better than cheap gear.
Agreed

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best gear for the price is by Title. I buy new gloves every 1.5 to 2 years....due to them wearing out and hurting my joints, plus they will all stink bad.

If you want to get mildly serious and up, you don't get junk like Century and Macho. People can get mad during sparring, spike the power level and jack you up....and now you're injured and a bunch of "sorry's" won't help. One dumbass grabbed my head and slammed the back (of my head) against the concrete wall of a warehouse/gym during hard sparring while we were in the clinch. I threw a pull powered elbow right towards his face (w/no elbow pad) but missed and the bell rang. He avoided me after that....I was wrecking him that's why he just went "street" all of the sudden and did that. This was when we both were training for our first fight. I was lucky I had headgear on.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to get mildly serious and up, you don't get junk like Century and Macho. People can get mad during sparring, spike the power level and jack you up....and now you're injured and a bunch of "sorry's" won't help. One dumbass grabbed my head and slammed the back (of my head) against the concrete wall of a warehouse/gym during hard sparring while we were in the clinch. I threw a pull powered elbow right towards his face (w/no elbow pad) but missed and the bell rang. He avoided me after that....I was wrecking him that's why he just went "street" all of the sudden and did that. This was when we both were training for our first fight. I was lucky I had headgear on.

Jesus... I would never grab someone and smash their head against a wall in my class, no matter how intense the match got. I respect and actually care for the well being of my fellow classmates. If anyone did that at our school they would never be allowed to return.

So, I believe the mistake I made was not stating what style I train in. I train in Taekwon-do (non-Olympic) , we can punch to head. We are not allowed to clinch, knee, elbow, choke slam, headbutt, or ram someone's head into a wall. All our strikes have to come from either the hands, feet, or shins. We can only strike above the belt, and no spine or back of the head.We all use the foam dipped gear, so I was trying to see if either one was better, or if anyone had a suggestion, for better quality foam dipped gear that wasn't Macho or Century.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jesus... I would never grab someone and smash their head against a wall in my class, no matter how intense the match got. I respect and actually care for the well being of my fellow classmates. If anyone did that at our school they would never be allowed to return.

So, I believe the mistake I made was not stating what style I train in. I train in Taekwon-do (non-Olympic) , we can punch to head. We are not allowed to clinch, knee, elbow, choke slam, headbutt, or ram someone's head into a wall. All our strikes have to come from either the hands, feet, or shins. We can only strike above the belt, and no spine or back of the head.We all use the foam dipped gear, so I was trying to see if either one was better, or if anyone had a suggestion, for better quality foam dipped gear that wasn't Macho or Century.

Well smashing the back of my head into a solid concrete wall is not allowed in any gym, but it happened. That's the point of wearing decent to good gear, and not that Macho/Century crap...people can get mad and do **** to you. I didn't snitch on him, I just wanted to spar him again and wouldn't give an F if I got thrown out for something. We switch partners every round and he kept avoiding me by immediately pairing up with someone else. But that was a long time ago and we are cool now. He has no chance against me now neither and I'm not holding any grudges. My 1st headgear was $50, 2nd $50 but the 3rd was $90 and it's much better than the $50 ones.

And those Macho gloves are pure junk. You get good at punching by going full power on the heavy bag. But if you mess up, and everyone will, good boxing gloves will help save your hands and wrists. Why would you wear children's toys to protect your hands?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best gear for the price is by Title. I buy new gloves every 1.5 to 2 years....due to them wearing out and hurting my joints, plus they will all stink bad.

Title has good entry and intermediate level equipment. Heavy hitters and people who train hard 3 times a week will not get 1 1/2 to 2 years unless using Title's expensive Black Line equipment. With Title we get about 6 - 8 months our fighters 2 - 3 months. And this is with their platinum line. We use Twins, Rev Gear, and Ringside for most of our adult equipment. They last our student approx 1 1/2 - 2 years and our fighters about 8 months.

As to Century and Macho equipment they are not for boxing or muay thai. You have already been told that. The equipment is for for a completely different type of training.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Probably because I hit really hard.
rolling.gif

rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif

rolling.gif
rolling.gif

Now see, if you'd said so that you could train with the weight of boxing gloves, I would have accepted that....you don't use boxing gloves "to protect your hands," hitting the heavy bag.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I haven't used the foam-dipped hand and foot protectors since I was a teenager, so I'm not sure about what company is good or bad for those, but honestly..... if you guys aren't hitting really hard or trying to compete in high-level sports competitions, I don't think it really matters that much. Either should protect you reasonably well for that kind of sparring and probably hold up for at least a couple years.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Title has good entry and intermediate level equipment. Heavy hitters and people who train hard 3 times a week will not get 1 1/2 to 2 years unless using Title's expensive Black Line equipment. With Title we get about 6 - 8 months our fighters 2 - 3 months. And this is with their platinum line. We use Twins, Rev Gear, and Ringside for most of our adult equipment. They last our student approx 1 1/2 - 2 years and our fighters about 8 months.

As to Century and Macho equipment they are not for boxing or muay thai. You have already been told that. The equipment is for for a completely different type of training.

I advised him to go with Title because he's cheap and wanted to buy Macho or Century. So now you're advocating even more expensive gear that's around 2x or more that of the entry level, Title equipment? How does this make any sense? I know how they spar in TKD, I started out in TKD and **** can happen and it becomes a war until the instructor stops it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
rolling.gif

rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif

rolling.gif
rolling.gif

Now see, if you'd said so that you could train with the weight of boxing gloves, I would have accepted that....you don't use boxing gloves "to protect your hands," hitting the heavy bag.

you obviously don't hit very hard, but that's ok, we all have to start somewhere. ;)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
you obviously don't hit very hard, but that's ok, we all have to start somewhere. ;)

rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif

Please note at 2:15

"the bag gloves"
(I suppose you hit harder than bernard Hopkins, though....,:rolleyes: )

You will see a lot of professional boxers using "boxing gloves" as bag gloves, ,not so much for protection, but because it's the tool they use in the ring.

You'll also see it a lot in classes in places like LA Boxing, (where they don't really "box," they work the heavy-bag planted, not actively moving and using footwork-staying stationary, the most common mistake for working the heavy bag) where they'll wear the boxing gloves for most of the "class."

Last edited:

Latest Discussions