Newbie (Hi!): What are durable brands of sparring gear which offer good protection?

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by hand2handCombat
dude, a cup is made strong. no ones gonna smash your nuts with a hammer

I will.
:hammer:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

I will.
:hammer:

I use a standard ten dollar cup with padding around the edges. And I have taken the occasional hit from a cane or two and believe me it has done its job well.

And as for Gou, I would believe him, I think he would :rofl: he is as crazy as many of my friends.

Rich
:cool:

OP
M

maximuspso

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I couldn't find "Tigergear" anywhere, but I did find "Masterline", which I am still considering.

Here is where I'm at right now (may change):
Adidas reversable Hogu $38
Proforce Lightning 5 piece set (hands/feet/head) $50
Adidas foam dipped forearms $25
Adidas foam dipped shins $23
cup $5
mouthpiece $1
large mesh sack $6-$9 (depending on store)
------
total w/shipping ~$160

I can get Proforce Lightning foam dipped forearms and shins for about $17 each. They are double padded like the Adidas. I would save $13 by buying those instead of the Adidas forearms and shins. Do you guys think they would hold up as well? The Masterline's are about that price as well if I got those instead. Then my total would be ~$150

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Do not get that stuff unles you want to waste your money.

Oh yeah, Gou would hit you with a hammer, to test your cup for you, or just cause he wants to.

OP
M

maximuspso

Which stuff Roland? All of it? You're suggesting getting all Masterline? I'm confused...

OP
G

GouRonin

What are you? Stupid? A buck? A BUCK?! Spend more than a buck on your mouth! Sweet mother Mary of God man! Your teeth don't grow back ya know!

Love & kisses....your Mom.
:D

OP
M

maximuspso

oh I see now, ...you said foam dipped is crap. ok. Thanks.

Gou, you're right. I'll spend the $20-$25 on the Wipps mouthpiece. It just hurts to spend that much on a mouthpiece,...but you ARE right,....it would be worth it.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
And as for Gou, I would believe him, I think he would :rofl: he is as crazy as many of my friends.

Originally posted by Roland
Oh yeah, Gou would hit you with a hammer, to test your cup for you, or just cause he wants to.

You guys are making me sound bad. Come on! I am a nice guy! We all know I wouldn't hit you in the cup with a hammer....

...first I'd bash you from behind with a baseball bat to put you down so I could aim better.
:rolleyes:

OP
M

maximuspso

What about the Adidas WKF mitts? I know they are approved for Karate, but would they be ok for Tae Kwon Do? They don't look like they are foam dipped.

Regarding headgear, is the vinyl covered foam (example: Adidas ~$30) better than the dipped stuff (ex: most brands or ~$40 Adidas (cheaper on a few sites))?

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by maximuspso
Gou, you're right. I'll spend the $20-$25 on the Wipps mouthpiece. It just hurts to spend that much on a mouthpiece,...but you ARE right,....it would be worth it.

Good man! Spend the money now and you won't spend the money or the time later at the dentist!

OP
F

fissure

maximuspso, I' getting confused.I thought you must be doing WTF style sparring because you said you need a chest protector.ITF is point, and a hogu would be silly.But if you are competing in WTF, you would'nt need foot or hand padding, both are left bare in that system.With all the stuff you're gonna be wearing you could be an attack dummy for police dogs:D (just joking)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

You guys are making me sound bad. Come on! I am a nice guy! We all know I wouldn't hit you in the cup with a hammer....

...first I'd bash you from behind with a baseball bat to put you down so I could aim better.
:rolleyes:

GouRonin,

I would never intentional make a falsehood to just make you sound bad. :D I would state the truth or my opinion and most definitely if I thought it would get laugh. :rofl:

Talk to you later, 'Mom'

Rich

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
I would never intentional make a falsehood to just make you sound bad.

I would. By the way, who was that supermodel I saw you with the other day?

OP
M

maximuspso

fissure,
I'm not competing at all. We just spar in class with contact each week on Friday and I don't want to get hurt. I also don't want to spend a fortune on equipment or have it fall apart. All I know is that the instructor said I should get the hogu with the circles on it. Does that mean I shouldn't wear hand or foot gear?

OP
F

fissure

If all you are doing is training in the dojang do what ever you want!I was mistakenly under the impression that you were competing.
IMO, the hogo works the same way as a boxing glove- it spreads the impact of a strike over a larger area.You still get the shock of the kick (the knock the wind out type feeling), but not the bone on bone pain/damage.Wearing a hogu plus hand and foot protection will double up this effect- does'nt seem necessary, but there's nothing wrong with it.

OP
M

maximuspso

Thanks fissure.

Do you think that this kind of glove would be more durable than the foam type. It let's me have more freedom with my fingers, but looks like it provides good protection otherwise. There are many like this, but this is a Masterline Cobra Chop glove:
11cs.jpg

OP
M

maximuspso

just found that Tiger Gear stuff. It is actually "tigear."

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by maximuspso
Thanks fissure.
Do you think that this kind of glove would be more durable than the foam type. It let's me have more freedom with my fingers, but looks like it provides good protection otherwise. There are many like this, but this is a Masterline Cobra Chop glove:
11cs.jpg

I like the cobra chop for point sparring and for rolling. For sparring, I prefer gloves from www.ringside.com