Newbie (Hi!): What are durable brands of sparring gear which offer good protection?

OP
G

GouRonin

Those you would use for NHB competition or bag work. I like 10 - 12 ounce to fight and 14/16/18 boxing gloves to spar with. The heavier weight in sparring is good to work you into keeping your hands up and offer good protection along with proper headgear from Ringside's headgear division called "Fightgear."

OP
S

sweeper

I thought ringside stopped making headgear..

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by sweeper
I thought ringside stopped making headgear..

I think they spun it off into a seperate company owned by Ringside or partially owned. Not sure.

OP
M

maximuspso

I was looking through ringside's headgear (they link to another site called fightgear) and it seems that none of it protects the top of the head. Wouldn't that leave you vulnerable to a heal to the crown when someone is doing an axe style kick? It seems like their headgear may be more appropriate for boxers.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by maximuspso
I was looking through ringside's headgear (they link to another site called fightgear) and it seems that none of it protects the top of the head. Wouldn't that leave you vulnerable to a heal to the crown when someone is doing an axe style kick? It seems like their headgear may be more appropriate for boxers.

Not a lot of headgear protects the top of the head. But if you need it then perhaps that would mean you should use something else other than this gear. Or stick a dinner plate in the top of it or something.

However, most gear for martial arts sparring is cr@p. Fightgear is easily near the top of the line for sparring with contact.

OP
G

GouRonin

Here you go. We were talking about how important mouthguards are. I was sparring a friend of mine sunday and got caught. Had I not been wearing my WIPPS mouthpiece I might well have a fractured jaw instead of Tempomandibular Joint Disorder to deal with now. I need a new mouthguard but better that than a new jaw.

P.S. - I was laying the smacketh downeth! Woo!