Sparring Gear recommended?

Minidoggy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I'm new =]

Anyways, I'm thinking about buying new sparring gear for increased dexterity and what not..
Well, I came across cloth gears.. I wonder would you guys recommend them over vinyl or foam. Like, what are the benefits and disadvantages..
I've been told that century is good.. so I'm looking either into the standard cloth ones or the unique armor ones..

Century Cloths
http://www.centuryfitness.com/webap...501&categoryId=13628&parent_category_rn=13519

Century Armor
http://www.centuryfitness.com/webap...501&categoryId=13628&parent_category_rn=13519

Which should I get? or if there's better cloths ones please say so.

BUT, if it turns about that you guys don't recommend cloths.. would you recommend some of the vinyl/foam ones? I don't know if Proforce/Macho are any good..

ALSO,
is this site trust worthy??
http://www.amas.net/Sub_Prot_Header.cfm/SectionId/Gear.htm

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to use cloth gear, but it soaks up sweat and can get heavy when sparring, and really smelly after awhile even when washed. The elastic wears with washing as well. I've switched to the adidas guards and am absolutely sold on them. They are feather light and can be wiped down after each use. Of course many companies now make their own versions of the adidas stuff so you can get them reasonably priced at most martial arts stores. As far as the hogu goes, as long as it is WTF approved you're good to go.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to Macho's product line -- but that's mostly because they've been really great to work with.

If you have the option -- try a couple of brands on. Differences in how they cut and shape things may change how the fit you, and one may be more comfortable for you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would agree wirh the Adidas gear they are lighter in wieght and hold up alot longer.

On a side note Welcome to Martial Talk and Happy posting.
If you go to the meet and greet section everybody could get to know you.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Cloth gear does have an advantage in comfort, but it does loose its elasticity and it does tend to get ripe even after washing.

I have gone with the Macho line and have had no problems. The only thing I don't like is that the dipped foam shin protectors have a tendency to slide around and wind up protecting the side of my leg rather then the shin.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First - welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Second, I like Masterline's products - that's what I've used for 20 years, and I see no reason to change now. I use their foam-dipped pads - hand, foot, and headgear. I've never used shin or arm guards, although some of my students do - the cloth pads aren't as bad for forearm and shin guards, although, as already said, they get sweaty pretty fast and are hard to keep clean.

Check with your instructor to see what is required and what is and isn't allowed - we don't allow vinyl or leather (except on the sole of foot pads) because it can cut the skin, and we don't allow cloth hand and foot pads, because they don't cover the required areas - our sparring equipment guidelines require the fingers and toes to be covered completely, and you can't get that with the cloth pads.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I like Century's C-Gear line. The Hands are like a sturdier (but to my perception just as light) version of foam gear, the Feet have a bit of leather across the ball of the foot that helps at times and is too slick others, but can be cut and sewn if you do not like it as it. I have not tried century's martial armor (I would feel too much like a power ranger, especially if I wore one of those awful ugly grey and black XMA uniforms).

OP
M

Minidoggy

White Belt
Reaction score
^haha I know what you mean
But since I'll always be wearing a red standard taekwondo uniform.. my forearm and shins won't be showing ..so it wont look too powerrangy

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Make sure you check with your instructor before you do anything. Many schools require students to purchase equipment through them.

That said, I use dipped myself, but for a beginner, I recommend cloth. It works fine and it's cheaper. Like any other sport, there's no sense in dumping alot of money into something you don't even know if you're going to stick with or not.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We use mostly the dipped foam (Macho) and it is good stuff.

I recently bought some cloth shin guards because I'm on medication that makes me bruise easily and after about 5 shots to the same place on my shin it swelled up and wouldn't return to normal for weeks.

They seem to do the job but seem much thinner than the other foam stuff I've got. About 1/2" versus 1". I'm glad people wrote about washing them because mine came with zero care instructions, the manufacturer points me to the vendor for information and the vendor hasn't answered my email.

OP
M

Minidoggy

White Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you check with your instructor before you do anything. Many schools require students to purchase equipment through them.

That said, I use dipped myself, but for a beginner, I recommend cloth. It works fine and it's cheaper. Like any other sport, there's no sense in dumping alot of money into something you don't even know if you're going to stick with or not.

Good luck and welcome to the board!
oh lol, I'm a red belt. I'm just switching to newer stuff since mine sucks lol
I was just thinking cloth since it's lighter and probably makes me quicker than the padded stuff
so for serious people.. would cloth be good? >_<
otherwise .. I'll go maybe Macho or Proforce

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was just thinking cloth since it's lighter and probably makes me quicker than the padded stuff

I used to use the cloth thinking it was light, but after using the adidas shin guards its no contest... the adidas wins by a long shot. Very light, almost like no pads at all. JMHO

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

My oldest son (who's most definately advanced) still prefers cloth, though as I said before, I will start new students with dipped. My personal equipment is IDM and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have Techno, which is similar to Adidas, but I don't like it and don't recommend it. Yes, it's definately top of the line stuff, and the padding is so dense, you could take down a tree with it and not get hurt. That's the problem. I think if you can dish it out, you should be able to take it and to me, dishing it out without any idea of what kind of power you're generating isn't teaching your student anything. Please don't take this as an assault on anyone or their preferences, it's just my personal opinion.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My oldest son (who's most definately advanced) still prefers cloth, though as I said before, I will start new students with dipped. My personal equipment is IDM and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have Techno, which is similar to Adidas, but I don't like it and don't recommend it. Yes, it's definately top of the line stuff, and the padding is so dense, you could take down a tree with it and not get hurt. That's the problem. I think if you can dish it out, you should be able to take it and to me, dishing it out without any idea of what kind of power you're generating isn't teaching your student anything. Please don't take this as an assault on anyone or their preferences, it's just my personal opinion.

Very well put my old friend how is the family by the way and how goes the training Gemini?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very well put my old friend how is the family by the way and how goes the training Gemini?

Training is going well, Sabumnim, Thank you! I'm finally getting into a real rountine, now have maximum alottment of students and am even occasionally able to surface for the first time in almost a year. I look forward to actually making your aquaintance soon (across from each other on the mat :))as we're much closer now than was previously the case.

Yours in the arts,

Gemini

OP
M

Minidoggy

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, but I'm kinda confused. Can you elaborate what you mean: "dishing it out without any idea of what kind of power you're generating isn't teaching your student anything"?

I guessing you're suggesting that we may end up doing too much damage outside sparring?
oh, and what does IDM stand for? I'm searching it on google.. but can't find it
and what does your oldest son say about the sweat with the cloths guards.. I think sweat and riping are my main concerns.
Sorry for all these questions. >_<

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What type of TKD are you practicing ATA, WTF, ITF, combat? Generally the rules of engagement dictate the gear you use. If your question is cloth or vinyl? That depends on personal use and like and dislikes.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you elaborate what you mean: "dishing it out without any idea of what kind of power you're generating isn't teaching your student anything"?
More than a few arts don't allow any leg padding at all while others use it as a protective measure. While cloth affords some protection, it really doesn't protect you from much more than lacerations. In other words, you can still pretty much "feel" the impact. With the higher end equipment, you lose that ability. You can kick as hard as you want without causing damage to yourself. While this may sound like a good thing at face value, your opponent will not think so. More importantly, it becomes much more difficult for you to learn your power. If you can't feel it, how can you experience light contact from full contact? As beginners, when instructed to kick lightly, did we ALL not kick like mules thinking it was light? We had to learn our power and how to control it. Padding is meant to be a protective measure. The new stuff is so dense, it's more like an offensive weapon than defensive protection.

In re-reading this, I'm not sure I'm making my point, so if need be, I'll come back to it.

oh, and what does IDM stand for? I'm searching it on google.. but can't find it
IDM is a brand. I'll see what I can find for you.

and what does your oldest son say about the sweat with the cloths guards..
He's proud of it. (14 year olds are strange). Like his Hockey gear. When it gets too ripe and washing doesn't work anymore, we just get new. Cloth equipment is pretty inexpensive.

Sorry for all these questions. >_<
Don't be. That's why we're all here. :)