Macho vs. Century

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I advised him to go with Title because he's cheap and wanted to buy Macho or Century. So now you're advocating even more expensive gear that's around 2x or more that of the entry level, Title equipment? How does this make any sense? I know how they spar in TKD, I started out in TKD and **** can happen and it becomes a war until the instructor stops it.
No in the original post it was asked if the extra dollars is worth it. There is a particular type of equipment he is asking about.
You stated Title and I agree it is good beginner to intermediate level equipment for the price.
You stated you buy new gloves every 1.5 to 2 years....due to them wearing out. And then later stated you are a hard hitter.
My comment is if one is a serious practitioner who trains hard and punches hard then the Title will not last the amount of time you suggested 'unless' purchasing the higher end lines.
Sorry if you miss understood.
He is using 'foam dipped' equipment for his sparring as everyone else he is sparring with. He stated that.
You brought up punching on the heavy bag. Foam dipped equipment Is Not For Heavy Bag Work. My comments were about that.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No in the original post it was asked if the extra dollars is worth it. There is a particular type of equipment he is asking about.
You stated Title and I agree it is good beginner to intermediate level equipment for the price.
You stated you buy new gloves every 1.5 to 2 years....due to them wearing out. And then later stated you are a hard hitter.
My comment is if one is a serious practitioner who trains hard and punches hard then the Title will not last the amount of time you suggested 'unless' purchasing the higher end lines.
]
Sorry if you miss understood.
He is using 'foam dipped' equipment for his sparring as everyone else he is sparring with. He stated that.
You brought up punching on the heavy bag. Foam dipped equipment Is Not For Heavy Bag Work. My comments were about that.

Sure they will. There are pro fighters who use Title gloves way longer than 1 year. Revgear, Twins, etc...they all have lower end just like Title does. I have a pair of Fairtex gloves that I hate and it sits in the closet, used about 5x. 2 pairs of Revgear that were ok, but both started tearing at the palm, and were leather. None of my some 8 or so Title gloves have ripped like that.

My comment was also about hitting the heavy bag, because he should also be hitting it...even if they don't have one at his TKD gym, which would be pretty lousy if it didn't. Those open palm, Macho gear gloves are like toys. He'd be doing himself and other TKD's there a favor if he got decent gloves, and maybe start a trend for them to all buy decent gloves.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He'd be doing himself and other TKD's there a favor if he got decent gloves, and maybe start a trend for them to all buy decent gloves.

Not really, tournaments are going to specify the gear required. The schools insurance policy might as well. Dipped foam might not be meant for heavy contact, and is terrible for heavy contact. But you should always wear the gear required by the place you are training.

Best bet? buy it through your school if they carry it. If not ask your instructor what they recommend and from where.

But don't get a piece of gear designed for a different sort of activity without checking if it's ok with the people in charge of your classes (and tournaments if applicable) first.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure they will. There are pro fighters who use Title gloves way longer than 1 year. Revgear, Twins, etc...they all have lower end just like Title does. I have a pair of Fairtex gloves that I hate and it sits in the closet, used about 5x. 2 pairs of Revgear that were ok, but both started tearing at the palm, and were leather. None of my some 8 or so Title gloves have ripped like that.

My comment was also about hitting the heavy bag, because he should also be hitting it...even if they don't have one at his TKD gym, which would be pretty lousy if it didn't. Those open palm, Macho gear gloves are like toys. He'd be doing himself and other TKD's there a favor if he got decent gloves, and maybe start a trend for them to all buy decent gloves.
Here are 2 different Title gloves that were purchased approx. two weeks apart. The red pair is a pair of leather boxing gloves used as training and heavy bag gloves. The are mushy and the padding has broken down. The black are a pair of platinum bag gloves and are in much better condition. They are 4 months old.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 188

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are 2 different Title gloves that were purchased approx. two weeks apart. The red pair is a pair of leather boxing gloves used as training and heavy bag gloves. The are mushy and the padding has broken down. The black are a pair of platinum bag gloves and are in much better condition. They are 4 months old.

Yea, that's why you shouldn't be cleaning them with bleach. I'm calling BS on the red ones being 4 months old and you put that much damage on them by yourself. I'd like to drop in and train with you whenever I'm in LA and see you in action for myself, deal?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really, tournaments are going to specify the gear required. The schools insurance policy might as well. Dipped foam might not be meant for heavy contact, and is terrible for heavy contact. But you should always wear the gear required by the place you are training.

Best bet? buy it through your school if they carry it. If not ask your instructor what they recommend and from where.

But don't get a piece of gear designed for a different sort of activity without checking if it's ok with the people in charge of your classes (and tournaments if applicable) first.

That sounds true about certain tourneys' requirements. The Kung-Fu ones I've seen, they let you wear either. While if the gym makes you buy their own, then I call red flag on them fleecing students. Better gear is just going to be better for everyone. Instructors who recommends junky Macho gear, are still wrong.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yea, that's why you shouldn't be cleaning them with bleach. I'm calling BS on the red ones being 4 months old and you put that much damage on them by yourself. I'd like to drop in and train with you whenever I'm in LA and see you in action for myself, deal?
1. These are not mine but two of my fighters who purchased them about two weeks apart.
2. I keep the Title gloves like the red in stock and they simply don't last with our heavy hitters. We stock the other brands for them because they hold up longer.
3. You are very welcome to come in any time.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I advised him to go with Title because he's cheap and wanted to buy Macho or Century. So now you're advocating even more expensive gear that's around 2x or more that of the entry level, Title equipment? How does this make any sense? I know how they spar in TKD, I started out in TKD and **** can happen and it becomes a war until the instructor stops it.

So like I stated, we use foam dipped gear. That has nothing to do with me being cheap, it is just what we use. We don't have any professional fighters in our school. All our matches are proctored by an instructor, so we won't have people loosing their heads and trying anything dangerous on our students. We don't use full power strikes, so I don't think we need professional grade equipment.

I also stated that I was looking to see if there was a difference in quality between Macho and Century, because those are the only foam dipped sparring gear manufacturers I know. I also asked if anyone knew any other FOAM DIPPED gear manufactures besides the two, as we only use foam dipped gear. I never said anything about hitting the bag , or would they work on a bag. As I know foam dipped gear is not meant for a heavy bag, but I appreciate you expanding my knowledge on what gloves I should get to hit a heavy bag.

I also see you state that you hit 'really' hard, and that your fists of fury need top of the line gloves, because you'll shred through gloves like no other. If I ever get my punches to be hadouken strengthed like yours. I will definitely need some more gear advice.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well smashing the back of my head into a solid concrete wall is not allowed in any gym, but it happened. That's the point of wearing decent to good gear, and not that Macho/Century crap...people can get mad and do **** to you. I didn't snitch on him, I just wanted to spar him again and wouldn't give an F if I got thrown out for something.

Honestly, if you're partner smashes your head against concrete because he's angry that you're beating him, your instructor doesnt notice it at all, and you're concerned about "snitching", unless you're claiming to practice some sort of jailhouse rock there are serious issues with your gym way more important than what gloves you're wearing.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also see you state that you hit 'really' hard, and that your fists of fury need top of the line gloves, because you'll shred through gloves like no other. If I ever get my punches to be hadouken strengthed like yours. I will definitely need some more gear advice.

I was giving you sound advice, so I'm not sure why you're getting all bitchy like this.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, if you're partner smashes your head against concrete because he's angry that you're beating him, your instructor doesnt notice it at all, and you're concerned about "snitching", unless you're claiming to practice some sort of jailhouse rock there are serious issues with your gym way more important than what gloves you're wearing.

Everyone was sparring, including the instructors who were preparing us for our 1st fight and a few of them were also fighting. This was many years ago and i don't remember the exact detail. Crap happens. It doesn't happen all the time or even often. If anything, it only happened ONCE, over a span of almost 10 years with something questionable like this. What was I going to do, go tell on the guy? That's just weak. He didn't do it again the next class I saw him and we were cool ever since then. And the main point being, I was lucky I had headgear on, because I remember it really rocked my head. And it was only the velcro straps of the headgear that protected me too, because there's no real padding back there.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. These are not mine but two of my fighters who purchased them about two weeks apart.
2. I keep the Title gloves like the red in stock and they simply don't last with our heavy hitters. We stock the other brands for them because they hold up longer.
3. You are very welcome to come in any time.

I just thought that you meant that you did that to both gloves in 4 months.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You got to use the right glove for the right task
That sounds true about certain tourneys' requirements. The Kung-Fu ones I've seen, they let you wear either. While if the gym makes you buy their own, then I call red flag on them fleecing students. Better gear is just going to be better for everyone. Instructors who recommends junky Macho gear, are still wrong.

No, there a school. They have every right to demand certain standards for equipment used by there students. Some use branded gear as well as branded uniforms, in which case you got to buy it from the school. You don't join a hockey team and demand to wear your own jersey and colours. They can make whatever uniform and equipment requirements they want.

People buying gear elsewhere just means the school gets less in equipment sales and will have to make up that difference in some other way (ex higher tuition)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best gear for the price is by Title. I buy new gloves every 1.5 to 2 years....due to them wearing out and hurting my joints, plus they will all stink bad.

If you want to get mildly serious and up, you don't get junk like Century and Macho. People can get mad during sparring, spike the power level and jack you up....and now you're injured and a bunch of "sorry's" won't help. One dumbass grabbed my head and slammed the back (of my head) against the concrete wall of a warehouse/gym during hard sparring while we were in the clinch. I threw a pull powered elbow right towards his face (w/no elbow pad) but missed and the bell rang. He avoided me after that....I was wrecking him that's why he just went "street" all of the sudden and did that. This was when we both were training for our first fight. I was lucky I had headgear on.
There isn't much on the market that will protect you against malicious or majorly careless actions. The foam dipped gear is designed to provide protection for controlled contact, light to medium sparring. Not full contact or heavy contact. The head gear is intended to protect from accidental, moderate head contact and falls, not to be an alternative to boxing headgear. You wouldn't use label wrestling headgear as "crap" because it doesn't provide significant protection against blows to the head -- or a baseball umpire's chest protector as useless since it won't stop a bullet like my body armor can, would you? Different gear, different purposes -- but if you use them for what they're intended for -- they're fine.

And neither would provide significant protection against a full powered elbow properly delivered, if it lands.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was giving you sound advice, so I'm not sure why you're getting all bitchy like this.
OP: I need foam padded sparring gear for my class since that's what my school uses. Should I go with Macho or Century?
Sound advice: Personally I haven't seen a difference between the two, so save the 10 bucks and go Century(or advising one if there is a difference).
Your advice: Both of those suck. Who cares if you're a TKD practitioner, which normally doesn't do a lot of heavy bag work? You need top-line fighting equipment in case you start doing some serious bag work all of a sudden. Plus what if one of your fellow students decides to randomly go crazy and smash your head into a wall? What will you do then? Wait...your instructor doesn't want you to get those because literally no one in your classes spar with them and it's not the gloves that the school uses? Clearly it's a huge red flag and the instructor is wrong, so just ignore what he says and try to get everyone to wear different gear.
I normally try to ignore it when people here are being this ridiculous, but there's a serious issue if you believe that what you gave was actually sound, useful or relevant in any way.
I was merely joking, thank you for your advice
Please don't thank him for that advice. All that does is validate the advice to himself.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus... I would never grab someone and smash their head against a wall in my class, no matter how intense the match got. I respect and actually care for the well being of my fellow classmates. If anyone did that at our school they would never be allowed to return.

So, I believe the mistake I made was not stating what style I train in. I train in Taekwon-do (non-Olympic) , we can punch to head. We are not allowed to clinch, knee, elbow, choke slam, headbutt, or ram someone's head into a wall. All our strikes have to come from either the hands, feet, or shins. We can only strike above the belt, and no spine or back of the head.We all use the foam dipped gear, so I was trying to see if either one was better, or if anyone had a suggestion, for better quality foam dipped gear that wasn't Macho or Century.
There are a few other manufacturers out there, though I don't recall their names off the top of my head. Your school may recommend or require specific gear. Sometimes this is do to organization/association rules, other times it's because they sell a particular product...

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sound advice:personally I haven't seen a difference between the two, so save the 10 bucks and go Century (or advising one if there is a difference).
Your advice: Both of those suck. Who cares if you're a TKD practitioner, which normally doesn't do a lot of heavy bag work? You need top-line fighting equipment in case you start doing some serious bag work all of a sudden. Plus what if one of your fellow students decides to randomly go crazy and smash your head into a wall? What will you do then? Wait...your instructor doesn't want you to get those because literally no one in your classes spar with them and it's not the gloves that the school uses? Clearly it's a huge red flag and the instructor is wrong, so just ignore what he says and try to get everyone to wear different gear.
I normally try to ignore it when people here are being this ridiculous, but there's a serious issue if you believe that what you gave was actually sound, useful or relevant in any way.

I didn't want to be an a-hole, but you literally posted everything I was thinking when reading his posts. My question wasn't answered at all , I just got a lecture on how foam dipped gear sucked for heavy bag work, a sociopath trying to paralyze me, and if I somehow found myself teleporting into a Muay Thai/boxing ring, or a UFC cage with my foam dipped gear on.

Latest Discussions