Sparring Equipment - Choosing the right gear

nickCR

White Belt
Reaction score
Forum,

I have been practicing Taekwondo for about 6-7 months now and am only a yellow/white belt but our class is starting to spar for upcoming fights. It seems like a good idea to get my own gear.

I bought the Chest Protector, the problem is though that I live in Costa Rica and my teacher gets this stuff and seems to price things a little steep like my DaeDo protector was $80. I asked what it would cost for the rest he said $40 for the arms, $40 for the legs and $60 for the helmet looking around on the net I see those price are really bloated. The quality of the daedo equipment seems good but the price isn't right.

With that said I have a few questions:

1. How do you know what is WTF approved? All adidas stuff is WTF but I know lots of people use Macho, ProForce, Kwon among others. Are there specific models of each that are approved?

2. The helmet has two versions. Dipped and Vinyl covered. Both seems like great options. I've used the dipped version but since i'm buying my own i'd like to make sure I get a good helmet as my head is just a little important :).

3. Arms & Legs there seems to be three types of these protectors. Polyspan, Foam & Cloth. Polyspan seems to be the newest stuff from Adidas anyone speak from experience on the differences?

4. Mouth guard, I have seen the ones from Shock doctor specifically the ones made partially from Gel.

Thanks in advance for your help

Nick

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
NickCR,

Going outside your school can wind up damaging relations between you and your instructor is my first point. Second point you'll be wearing this equipment in your instructors school 95% of the time, so wheather it's WTF approved or not your instructor needs to approve it. Last item unless you touch and understand the construction of the gear you won't know how it will protect you.

To answer your questions directly:

1) Look for the WTF seal

2) I'd use the dipped physics says space between head and foot is a good thing.

3) A matter of personal preferance.

4) What ever mouth piece that you will wear willingly, ie if you don't like to wear your mouth piece, it won't offer much protection from your gym bag.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use mostly the Adidas as it is very lightweight and doesn't get heavy from sweat. I also have a deviated septum and can not breath well with conventional mouthpieces, but Masel Orthodontics makes a hinged mouthguard that allows for open mouth breathing and talking while it stays firmly in the mouth. Just my $0.02

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First talk toyour Instructor and see if you can outside the school, alot of school tends to make a few dollars to help the up keep of said school. So the real question is if so are you going to be supportive of the school that is teaching you your TKD.

Remember everybody has to make a living and that extra cost from equipment may help keep your monthly tuition down.

Just my thought on the matter.

OP
N

nickCR

White Belt
Reaction score
I'll first address the issue that is primarily coming up. I spoke to my teacher yesterday, he welcomed me to go get my own gear somewhere else if I don't want to pay his price.

I understand your points about this, but it's clear he is pricing the class high because it's a wealthy neighborhood. He charges $40 /month where all other places charge $25 tops and this class is at the workout gym around the corner where the floor barely provides enough space for 10 people but we sometimes have 12-14 people. If the prices were relatively fair then no problem but we're talking like $385 for an entire setup. Uniform, Shoes, Jock, Mouth guard, Chest Pads, Arm Pads, Leg Pads and Helmet.

Don't get me wrong i'm not complaining I like the class i'm just explaining so you don't think i'm just going off on a rampage. If I didn't feel well in the class I wouldn't be there any more.

The teacher is cool and I do this more for excersize then anything else but I don't like being taken advantage of. I want to get good equipment probably going to be Adidas but i'm asking you guys because you have experience and can make suggestions based on that :).

1. No problem, I just don't see much with the "WTF" logo on lots of equipment I know is WTF approved. I was hoping there would be a list or chart.

2. Ok dipped. I didn't quite understand the physics statement though. You mean Dipped has a little bit of space compared to the vinyl?

3. What provides more protection Polyspan or Foam? Or is this really insignificant.

4. I would definitely wear it, was a rugby player when I was in high school so mouth guards are important. Has anyone used Shock Doctor? It looks really well built.

Has anyone heard of a brand DaeDo?

OP
N

nickCR

White Belt
Reaction score
BTW I really appreciate your replys, thank you.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like the boil and bite type mouth guards. Vary snug fit, and just pops into place like your teeth just got back from a long business trip.

The WTF website has a list you can go from. http://www.wtf.org/site/about_wtf/recognized.htm

Just to add a bit of info from several dentists and orthodontists, the boil and bite have one serious flaw. When you bite down to mold to the teeth, you are decreasing the thickness of the appliance thereby decreasing its ability to absorb shock. The ones with the hole in the middle for breathing are good, but after sparring a guy who was using one, I really got tired of his spit hitting me in the face.

Klassh

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm guess that is a point. Though I haven't heard of anyone having problems. I sure haven't. The shock gets distributed to your molars via design, not sponginess. Though I think I'll look up some reviews. Thanks for the heads up.

Your right about the double sided ones with the air holes. Its sick when you hook kick some one and a spray of saliva gets all over the floor, or your leg.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remebered when all the equipment for sparring (in class) in the mid 80's was only the shin pads (protectors), then we moved to use the chest protector in competition but in class only we used the shin protector, this make us togot the blows very well.

Now as long as I see the competitors even in the dojan uses armor I mean, head,elbow+lower arms,chet,groin cup,shin and instep guard and now gloves, wow!!! like the zodiac kniths!!

I think this super protection does not allow the body to absorb punishment and this in the streets is a no good thing.

Manny

OP
N

nickCR

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your link to the WTF that helped considerably and gave me a good idea what direction to go in. I found that the stuff on the internet in the Adidas / DaeDo range is up around $25-$40 each for the arm/shins. This makes paying $40 each for a set locally totally worth it especially if they have a return policy for damage.

I value my teeth and the mouth guard is very important. I played rugby as a kid and had a upper boil and bite style guard which did the trick and trust me you get knocked around pretty good in that sport. The question that remains for me here is do I need both upper and lower or would a single upper or lower work? I like the design of the Shock Doctor and they appear to be quite well built. Ofcourse I really don't want one that will be uncomfortable.

TKD the one you are talking about would be specially made by an orthodontist? That option is difficult for me down here.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for that link Mel!

jim

No problem! What ever tidbits of info put out, helps all of us. If I hadn't tried it years ago when suggested to me, I wouldn't have found the best mouthguard for me personally. Its inexpensive enough to at least try it out. Some will like it... others not so much.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use mostly the Adidas as it is very lightweight and doesn't get heavy from sweat. I also have a deviated septum and can not breath well with conventional mouthpieces, but Masel Orthodontics makes a hinged mouthguard that allows for open mouth breathing and talking while it stays firmly in the mouth. Just my $0.02

I went to the Masel Orthodontics website and they sell those in packs of 12. Is there any place to buy them in smaller quantities?

Thanks.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My mouthguard was made for me by a dentist. I've no idea how much it should have cost but it is soooo much better than any I have used in the past, I'd definately pay good money for it. Might be worth getting a quote!

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I went to the Masel Orthodontics website and they sell those in packs of 12. Is there any place to buy them in smaller quantities?

Thanks.

Oops, sorry, I did see that you posted another source however they seem only to be the ones with straps.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oops, sorry, I did see that you posted another source however they seem only to be the ones with straps.

The straps can easily be removed. I do it all the time. There is another site but I'll have to check. Will repost when I find it.

Latest Discussions