Lone Kimono

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
If the attacker changes what he is doing, we need to do the same. Going to another technique would solve this problem.
Mike

ok I think I get it... Twin Kimono is designed for a "straight-arm" attack which allows for the upward strike under the arms. So with the attacker pulling back in after the initial shove (with arms+elbows anchored) what would be the preferred technique in this case? I guess mace of aggression/raking mace?

thanks,
James

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
JamesB said:
ok I think I get it... Twin Kimono is designed for a "straight-arm" attack which allows for the upward strike under the arms. So with the attacker pulling back in after the initial shove (with arms+elbows anchored) what would be the preferred technique in this case? I guess mace of aggression/raking mace?

thanks,
James

Destructive Twins is also another possibility.:)

Mike

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our version of kimono grab changes after #1.

Right arm executes an inward block across the attacker's arm with a downward motion at the end of the block with the right fist ending at the left side of your waist. This pulls the attacker forward and down to the side.

Right hand chops diagonal up to the throat and rechambers to the shoulder.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I think one thing that is being missed though is the reason for the grab. Why is the attacker grabbing both your lapels in the first place? Are they trying to head but you, scare you, set you up for a friend to circle around behind you?

These are rhetorical questions by the way!

One thing that they are trying to do is control your movement, distance and reaction (this is with just the grab).

I would recommend that when practising this you both start virtually toe to toe then grab. In the real world your attacker is not going to walk towards you like a mummy before grabbing you.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Ross
I agree about the attack and even had a laugh about the mummy thing, kenpo "dummying" is a long time bug bear of mine, may I suggest if the opponents are "toe to toe" then there would possibly be no lapel grab at this range just the Head butt.
W.R.
Rich
PS who do you train with in Exeter?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
JamesB said:
... a totally realistic attack though, maybe after the initial shove, would the attacker attempt to regain control by pulling you back in?
Of course.
how would you prevent the attacker from doing this and maintain control at the same time?
Feet, arms, hand, and head indexing.
... the attack would be more realistic if it was written 'push out', then grab and anchor in.
Correct James as we teach it. You must account for the fact that when you are 'seized,' it initially is a medium grade 'strike/push' that can knock you backwards before it actually becomes the grab. Grabs to not occur in a sterile environment.
2. Imagine that the attacker is a someone twice as big and twice as strong. How would the defender step back when someone has aggressively grabbed hold of them?
Feet, arms, hand, and head, indexing again.
3. what happens when can't step back, what is our response now?
For us James, It could be 'Mace of Aggression,' or perhaps a 'Raking Mace,' etc.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Hi Ross
I agree about the attack and even had a laugh about the mummy thing, kenpo "dummying" is a long time bug bear of mine, may I suggest if the opponents are "toe to toe" then there would possibly be no lapel grab at this range just the Head butt.
Hey China, as an old 'bottle and stopper' I agree with you. That's why you must take advantage of the rearward momentum created by his initial action, and control the depth, before he reverses the direction.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
PS who do you train with in Exeter?

Hi Rich,

I'm one of Kevin Mills' students. But my girlfriend is from Jersey so I often go over with her - let me know where abouts you are and I can pop in one time for a knock about.

Cheers
Ross

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Feet, arms, hand, and head indexing.

Sir,
Can I just ask a question about head indexing, do you apply this to all techniques that involve a grab of some kind?

I would ask Mr Mills, but I wont see him now until Holland for the IKC 2006 - I understand Mr Angell is going too! Looking forward to his seminar.

Many thanks
Ross

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ross said:
Sir,
Can I just ask a question about head indexing, do you apply this to all techniques that involve a grab of some kind?

I would ask Mr Mills, but I wont see him now until Holland for the IKC 2006 - I understand Mr Angell is going too! Looking forward to his seminar.

Many thanks
Ross
Indexing of all types is involved in ANY kind of movement, and especially when seized. I have only explored Head Indexing minimally with some, due to other type Indexing taking a priority in their training at the momemt. Mr. Angell will give you some insights when you see him in Holland. You may ALWAYS ask me a question sir.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ross said:
Hi Rich,

I'm one of Kevin Mills' students. But my girlfriend is from Jersey so I often go over with her - let me know where abouts you are and I can pop in one time for a knock about.

Cheers
Ross

Hey Ross,
I will catch up with you in Holland and you can pop in to train anytime you are..."on the Rock" .
Rich

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Indexing of all types is involved in ANY kind of movement, and especially when seized. I have only explored Head Indexing minimally with some, due to other type Indexing taking a priority in their training at the momemt. Mr. Angell will give you some insights when you see him in Holland. You may ALWAYS ask me a question sir.

Thank you Sir,

Just one other thing while you've got me thinking, would you do a skip in this technique? I was thinking that you may on the first movement. Or would it not be applicable here?

Thanks for your help.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Hey Ross,
I will catch up with you in Holland and you can pop in to train anytime you are..."on the Rock" .
Rich

Look forward to it.

Cheers.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ross said:
Thank you Sir,

Just one other thing while you've got me thinking, would you do a skip in this technique? I was thinking that you may on the first movement. Or would it not be applicable here?

Thanks for your help.
Stay away from 'skips' for the moment. Other things take precendent to prevent confusion. (Foot Indexing)

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Stay away from 'skips' for the moment. Other things take precendent to prevent confusion. (Foot Indexing)

Great, thank you.

Have a great Easter Weekend.

Latest Discussions