Lone Kimono

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front left hand lapel grab

1: Standing naturally, step back to 6 o'clock with your left leg when your opponent grabs your lapel with his left. Simultaneously pin his hand to your chest with your left hand and deliver a right upward strike to his elbow just above the joint causing the elbow to break, as you pivot into a right neutral bow.

2: Circle your right arm over and down in a counter-clockwise motion, with an inward-downward strike against your opponents forearm, making sure his arm is driven down and diagonally to the left.

3: After cocking your right hand with your right palm up, deliver a right outward handswordto the right side of your opponents neck.

Thought that we could discuss this technique and any differences that you may have.

Mike

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
For you Tracy folks out there, this is "The Lever."
I thought it was Kimono Grab; I thought Lever was the one that one that was almost the same but caused the wrist-lock by the defender's right forearm rotating the attacker's forearm counter-clockwise while executing a right rising motion to the outside of attacker's grabbing arm.

But it's been a while since I've been through the Tracy material I learned.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1.5: Left foot steps to 4:30 into a rear cross step as right hammer fist rakes through opp floating rib :)

2: unwind as you...What you said

I remember working this variation with someone, it really hinges on the fact that the opp bends their arm after the elbow stike. One time he just kept his arm straigt and when I moved into the twist stance, he didn't let my lapels move. I was so off balanced I about fell down!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ray said:
I thought it was Kimono Grab; I thought Lever was the one that one that was almost the same but caused the wrist-lock by the defender's right forearm rotating the attacker's forearm counter-clockwise while executing a right rising motion to the outside of attacker's grabbing arm.

Kimono Grab is the equivelent of Twin Kimono (double lapel grab), Lever is Lone Kimono (single lapel grab).

And now back to the discussion.... :D

Lamont

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmmph, apparently I learned Lone Kimono differently, so that it was more like Lever than Kimono Grab, in reading three or four AK sites description of LK, it does sound more like Kimono Grab.

Lamont

Mortenrasmussen

White Belt
Reaction score
Maltair:

Well, you do that in Twin Kimono, but there is a) no reason to do it in Lone Kimono, and b) it is dangerous to do so, as you might turn your opponent, and in doing so bringing the right hand into play.

In Lone Kimono you are escentialy outside your oppopents arms, and therefore the main concern is to control the opponents whith-zone... The armbreak should cancel him, and then the inward hammerfist should do this even more..

In Twin Kimono he has both arms in play, and even though you might hurt his left hand, you won't hurt the both, and as you are going to move on the outside of his arms you step offline to get away from it, using the settling from that move to deliver a backfist strike...

In Lone Kimono you are ignoring the "crane principle" (the principle of not crossing the opponents body without taking something with you), but in short you do this to stay safe...

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Hmmph, apparently I learned Lone Kimono differently, so that it was more like Lever than Kimono Grab, in reading three or four AK sites description of LK, it does sound more like Kimono Grab.
Hey Lamont, are you with Willie "Catman" Pineda's group?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned lever A and B.

above described was lever A, except for it was a chop to the throat with the hand down. In B, if the attacker's head went down while they were trying to protect the broken arm while screaming in pain, thus preventing you from chopping them in the throat, you held their head with your left hand in the ear area and did a right elbow smash to their temple.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sam said:
I learned lever A and B.

above described was lever A. In be, if the attacker's head went down, thus preventing you from chopping them in the throat, you held their head with your left hand and did a right elbow smash to their temple.

Variation C is delivering a right elbow smash thru the head, followed by a right elbow jab back into the head. Thought you might like to add it to your notes.

Guess this is off topic, tho. sorry all.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maltair said:
1.5: Left foot steps to 4:30 into a rear cross step as right hammer fist rakes through opp floating rib :)

I've done the same, instead using a backfist strike to the ribs. The arm/hand is there anyway, so might as well do an extra strike.:) The only thing I did not do was the cross step.

Mike

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
So was B different than what I said, or C was just an addition to B?

I dont think this is OT

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Guess this is off topic, tho. sorry all.

By all means, please feel free to discuss the Tracy variation.:) I think that by including both, it will lead to some interesting and positive feedback.

Mike

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Kimono Grab is the equivelent of Twin Kimono (double lapel grab), Lever is Lone Kimono (single lapel grab).

And now back to the discussion.... :D

Lamont

Based on the description given, Lone Kimono sounds like Tracy's Kimono Grab but done against a single grab instead of a double grab.

Lever has some defininte differences from the description of Lone Kimono. Kinda similar, but not the same.

Assuming the grab is done with the opponent's left hand...

In the opening move, pin opponent's hand to your chest with the left hand and step back to 6:00 with the left foot. The distance created will cause his left elbow to straighten.

Place the inside of your right forearm against the outside of his elbow. Rotate your arm clockwise, which turns the opponent's elbow so the back of the joint is facing down. Use your right arm to "lever" upwards, hyperextending or breaking his left elbow.

Roll your right arm counter clockwise over the top of his left arm and chop/rake down along his arm to your left side, removing his grasp.

Variation A: Finish with a right knifehand to his throat.

Variation B: If he does not let go then you drive your right forearm down into his elbow joint to collapse his arm and bring his face close to you. Grab the side of his head with your left hand and finish with a right elbow-sandwich to the side other side of his head.

Variation C: Instead of the elbow sandwich of B, drive a right elbow smash thru the side of his head, following with a right elbow jab back into the other side of his head.

that's as complete as I can make it. Personally, I don't care for all the variations. I can figure out how to finish the guy on my own, once we reach that point.

Sorry for getting off topic but for reference for the Tracy people in this discussion, Lever is not really equivalent to Lone Kimono. Rather, think of Kimono Grab, but against a single grab instead of a double grab.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sam said:
I dont think this is OT

You are right, this isn't off topic. I was thinking it was because we were starting to discuss Lever instead of Lone Kimono, but on second thought, it is just clarifying for those of us Tracy people.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps someone from the Tracy camp would be so kind as to give a detailed breakdown of the techniques in question, so as to provide a better comparison to Lone Kimono.:)

Mike

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MJS said:
Perhaps someone from the Tracy camp would be so kind as to give a detailed breakdown of the techniques in question, so as to provide a better comparison to Lone Kimono.:)

Mike

Did you see my post, #14. Is this what you needed, or was another technique in question?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In case I didn't make it clear, my description in Post #14 was for Lever.

Kimono Grab is the same as EPAK Lone Kimono, but Kimono Grab is against a double grab instead of a single grab. Based on the description in the Opening Post, it appears to be essentially the same up to the Knifehand to the Throat.

We actually continue with a little more, however.

Shuffle forward into the opponent and grab the side of his head with the left hand. Deliver a right elbow-sandwich to the other side of his head.

Pivot to face 6:00 and drop into a reverse soft bow stance. Follow with a right hammerfist back and up, into the opponent's groin.

Finish with a right back kick into his knee and step out to ready.

Gets to be a bit of overkill, but at some point it all becomes optional if necessary.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aha...Kimono Grab in Tracy's orange must be for a one-hand grab (left hand) to lapel, right? The variation later (5th black according to Tracy's web site) must be for a two-handed grab, right? The EPAK two hand version is called Twin Kimono.

Your descriptions are about the same as I learned in EPAK and Tracy's (one-hand grab). I've seen some people make a real attempt to turn the attacker's wrist clockwise or counter-clockwise in an effort to get a specific response. I've also seen slight differences in the right upward strike to the attacker's elbow (a rising block action, verses an upward forearm). And the last differences I've witnessed are the angle and intent of the right inward (or inward/downward) block to attacker's arm.

Once, while practicing it, my instructor showed me that within the movements taught we could actually be doing: 1) A left inward hooking heel palm to the right side of attacker's face which continues movement to become a pin. 2) Simultaneous with the pin, the right arm can shoot a vertical punch to the face while still hyperextending the attacker's elbow. 3). From the vertical punch on the way around the attacker's arm, the right fist can rake down the attacker's chest {or be a hammer fist}.

Latest Discussions