Legalize it

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, you know how great that would be, I would buy a pack of those for $20! It would be a safe, taxed product, we would be sure that we got our special blend, not some dirt weed and the money would being going in "Mom & Pop" and the state's pocket. Pre-rolled and ready to go.

In all seriousness, do you have any idea how many jobs would be created through the legalization of marijuana?

Macon, a nearby city, used to experience growth year after year. Then, after all the lawsuits centered around tobacco, Brown & Williamson left town.

Ever since, unemployment went up (this was just prior to the Great Recession) and along with it CRIME. Poeple can't find work and everyday I hear on the news about another conveinence store worker being beaten or killed during a robbery. Homeless fight for space under overpasses...it's ugly there. All because a major provider of employment was litigated and legislated out of business.

If marijuana were legalized there's a chance they'd come back with the increase in demand. People would have good paying jobs, HEALTH INSURANCE, and money to stimulate the economy.

But no, that's not a good enough reason is it. Instead, we'll just let the homeless and unemployed pander for handouts so they can afford to DRINK themselves silly and escape this harsh reality.

...boggles the mind.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I posted this in response to BILL before. His opinion will not change I believe. Some just don't see beyond their own sphere.

I hope some can understand that such crimes in all human society (B&E, Assualt, Thieft, Prostitution, Rape etc..) have existed way before MAN'S LAW to make any substance illegal. It is not purely a drug violence issue, man has committed such acts against others & even their own for more than a thousand years. Removing all DRUGS from our planet will no more rid us of violence than if we legalize or decrimialize all DRUGS. It is a human condition of personal faults, not that a DRUG has a mind of it's own and seeks out our beloved family members to hurt us all. When terrible things like that happen (What Bills Family had to face) , I blame the Man (Or Woman) involved, not any drug that is also in the mix. These terrible things happen in most all human society, and they also happen without drugs present as well.
Some people are curious about possible medical applications from DRUGS such as Cocaine (Doctors use liquid cocaine during treatment of some sinus/septum issues) as well as Opium (Moraphine as used by Doctors to treat severe pain) and Marijuana (Can help Doctors treat several health issues) But I feel too many people are on a personal quest to punish drug dealers, so an understanding & compromise to find something usefull from these substances is lost.
Most who are for the legalization of Marijuana are also against the Hypocracey (BS) by our own leaders conducting corrupt law practices & enforcement of corrupt laws, that is where a lot of hippies stand (Stoned as they are, they have an honest gripe) and want to see their government honestly uphold reasonable law. Most hippies I know would gladly & non-violently pay their Marijuana tax, but we know that this is impossible because the laws currently on the books are not fair or reasonable (Relating to Herb that is) . I do not feel that decrimializing or legalizing Marijuana will stop violence, but killing drug dealers as explicitly expressed by Bill is not stopping violence either, as a matter of fact, it gives anger & violence a place to anchor it's self in our society. People kill each other over food & water as well, so violence for possession of anything is a human fault & should not be blamed on the substance it's self.
People kill each other in this nation over stupid materialistic possessions,( it is a disrespect for life issue not the item or possesssion issue) near DC years ago, a teenager demanded that someone in a theater give him his Air Jordans, when denied he stabbed thet guy to death & fled without getting the item of dispute. Also years ago on the Metro Rail in DC, another teenager demanded someones leather jacket, again when denied, the kid shot the man wearing the jacket to death and fled without the item of despute. Our society has serious issue with violence, some relating directly to drug trafficing & some having nothing to do with it at all.
To end violence related to any Drug is not solved by the "Lets kill them all" attitude. I also believe that such violence is not solved by the "Make it all legal" attitude either. Such an issue is a GORDIAN KNOT to be solved, and it will not be easy. Unless you take Alexander The Greats (And Bills attitude) draw your sword and cut it to shreads.

Bill, I have stated before that I believe what happened to your family member is terrible. I am truly sorry to know such a tragedy struck such a young child. Do not let your anger about that allow you to wrongly lay blame on an inanimate substance because you do not want to see the issue is with family member actions.

It is not the case that pot was waiting around the corner for your family member to enact this crime. Lay due responsibility on the persons who's own actions caused this
to happen and not a substance. People are responsible for their actions, not a substance (The devil made me do it) is a cop out.

With Bills expressed violent attitude toward a substance and those who touch it, and knowing he trains in some martial art, I wonder what terrible act of violence (Vengence) he may be (Preparing for) capable of if faced with someone holding as little as a joint or as much as a big bag of crack. Do the laws stand with such empassioned violence cause the substance is illegal? Bill sounds as though he would personally act as Gods & our Nations Hand of Law if anyone dared opposed his DIVINE LAW.

People have faults, even those who govern us. Lets deal with that rather than assessing blame on a substance and wage war on it. Many of our laws are full of faults, we should strive to work it all out for the better, not pressure lawmakers to do what makes us feel better (As if it were to avenge a family members misfortune) by upholding corrupt law practices. (I also noted the Aslinger tax stamp fraud used to help freight-train law past our congress to empower another marijuanna hate monger) That helps nothing but your own personal pain rather than the truth about people & substances.

The majority that WANTS to keep it illegal (Or do not want it researched for good use) are quite uniformed about the truth of marijuanna itself and the twisted corrupt laws that judge over it.

Bill, I hope you get over it as I do hope your family members can move on to an enjoyable life. But I do not see the legalization of marijuanna (If it does ever happen) as adding any suffering to you or your family. As I said, It is a human fault issue, not that the evil weed is out to get us all. I am more concerned about other corrupt issues within our governing bodies than wether HERB is legal or not.

I realize I reiterated more than a bit, but from this debate I feel many just are not hearing what seems to be damned clear.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just FYI, This is also something i posted in rebuttal to Bill.

Bill, I have discussed this with you before and I am still disappointed to see you prefer to see violence done to any drug dealer ( Big time coke dealer or college kid passing on herb). So I make this point, this thread was started to discuss if Legalizing Drugs to stop violence will work. Many here seem to think it is not that clear cut (Pot, Coke, China White, whatever,they are all different substances & will have differing effects if legal) but it seems that as long as any drugs are still illegal you wish to be violent and kill convicted drug dealers of any substance. So why ask the question? Then if your opinion on the legalization of drugs (Which you make it sound as though your opinion is the voice of all our nation) can stop violence when you yourself subscribe to the execution of dealers.
It is illegal = I want them KILLED. If it becomes legal = I want them KILLED anyway. Seems you are more for violence regardless of a drugs legal or illegal status. That is VIOLENT all around man.
With that said Bill, again, I am sorry that drug use and a family members choices have caused you pain, misery and even suffering.
I can understand you are empassioned, but this topic is about LEGALIZE DRUGS TO STOP VIOLENCE? How does that help to prevent Violence? Don't do what I hate & I won't kill you!? Marijuana will not become Legal for many many years if ever at all. Same for other drugs. Your posts also touch on how our nation & govmt work out these things which is great resource man, but our own govmt has twisted its own works from with-in. Look into how Marijuana was made illegal and then one mans obsession against it who enevitably set things up with-in our laws to make a Marijuana tax stamp. The Govmt then offered a tax stamp for it to be taxed but keep it illegal and made it manditory for a farmer to get the tax stamp, he must have the Marijuana in hand to get the stamp. When a farmer showed up with any Marijuana in hand to get the supposed legal tax stamp they arrested him for possession. Do you really think that after the govmt can be twisted like this against its own people trying to be law abiding, that people would trust the govmt to not be as faulty as any other corupt person can be? That is just an example.
So do you think that after this loop hole catch 22 by a man Harry Anslinger? (Kinda sounds like you with an obession against DRUGS) that his only mistake was not to execute the farmers who applied for the tax stamp with herb in hand? I am simply playing devils advocate opposing Bill here since i feel Bills posts are a little extreme as well. I am not pushing for Marijuana to be Legal in my opinion here, just pointing out that Bill sounds Violent if drugs are Legal or not. Again, how does that help? Other than making Bill feel better about his familys misfortune by stating how he would like to see drug dealers killed.

I feel Bill will only see things his way and we are all lost souls.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wouldn't matter if it was on the books because the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that sodomy can not be made illegal. However the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution is the law of the land, you probaly already know that.

true, however the sentiment seems to be that the law is the law & should be obeyed, even if it is unjust & unenforceable. i'm just trying to figure out how far that extends.

jf

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
true, however the sentiment seems to be that the law is the law & should be obeyed, even if it is unjust & unenforceable. i'm just trying to figure out how far that extends.

jf

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." - Albert Einstein

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." - Albert Einstein

Apparently some fancy themselves smarter than old Al.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

Albert, laying it on all sexy and logical like he always does.

DergaSmash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a good book about the other benefits of legalization. Its called "The Emperor Wears No Clothes." Very eye opening in fact.

What about all the other stuff that can be done with it?

Hemp can be made into many different things that we use. Paper, plastics, clothing, etc.

It is a tough plant, meaning it can grow almost anywhere and requires little in terms of maintenance. It also makes great biofuel which could serve to get the states off it's addiction to foreign oil.

But then again, hippy is just one step from Communist......whatever.

Latest Discussions