Humans glow more proof of an Aura?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People for centuries reported seeing glows around the human body. Semyon Kirlian worked with photography in which is called Kirlian photography and now we have more proof that humans indeed emitt a glow or light:

Past research has shown that the body emits visible light, 1,000 times less intense than the levels to which our naked eyes are sensitive. In fact, virtually all living creatures emit very weak light, which is thought to be a byproduct of biochemical reactions involving free radicals.
Also found was this:

The researchers found the body glow rose and fell over the day, with its lowest point at 10 a.m. and its peak at 4 p.m., dropping gradually after that

The article is an interesting read.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090722/sc_livescience/strangehumansglowinvisiblelight

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I prefer to see my glowing as proof of martial arts skills.
Sho' Nuff!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, it's not proof of an aura. An aura is supposed to encompass emotional states with precise colors to match, and is also often invoked along with spiritual and psychic explanations. What you describe here is no proof of that concept.

nelsonkari

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting topic!

I read the article earlier today. I'm interested in seeing what kinds of light emissions are present from people of a MA background. Can the extension of "Chi" can now be measured?

Nelson

OP
J

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
An Aura is:
an aura is a field of subtle, luminous radiation supposedly surrounding a person or object
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(paranormal)

From here http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aura

1. An invisible breath, emanation, or radiation.
  2. A distinctive but intangible quality that seems to surround a person or thing; atmosphere:
From here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aura
1 a: a subtle sensory stimulus (as an aroma) b: a distinctive atmosphere surrounding a given source <the place had an aura of mystery>2: a luminous radiation : nimbus3: a subjective sensation (as of lights) experienced before an attack of some disorders (as epilepsy or a migraine)4: an energy field that is held to emanate from a living being

So by the definations provided by the dictionary it states it is radiation or energy around an object or person. EmptyHands since you are an atheist why do you think Auras have any sort of spiritual or psychic involvement?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
So by the definations provided by the dictionary it states it is radiation or energy around an object or person.

This isn't going to turn into another "steam coming off of rice" discussion is it? That's sort of like saying astrology is true because planets exist. You know perfectly well that proponents of the idea of auras link them to psychic, spiritual and emotional phenomena.

EmptyHands since you are an atheist why do you think Auras have any sort of spiritual or psychic involvement?

I don't. I don't think auras exist, and I don't think the phenomena you describe here at all describes auras as commonly understood. Other people do think auras exist as spiritual and psychic phenomena, and that is what I'm addressing. Here, take a look at this to see what I mean.

"When I do a psychic reading with someone, I always check their aura first. If the aura sways back and forth, the person has a chemical imbalance, due to drugs, medication, drinking, a chemical imbalance in the body.
When I look at a photo of a person who has no aura - or the aura appears black - I know the person has crossed over - in part - or totally - as their physical body no longer has an electromagnetic energy field"

Please address auras as everyone understands them. Please do not go down the "steam and rice" pathway, it's disingenuous.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it ain't bright enough to find my car keys in a dark room, it is not relevant to my interests.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
This isn't going to turn into another "steam coming off of rice" discussion is it? That's sort of like saying astrology is true because planets exist. You know perfectly well that proponents of the idea of auras link them to psychic, spiritual and emotional phenomena.

I don't. I don't think auras exist, and I don't think the phenomena you describe here at all describes auras as commonly understood. Other people do think auras exist as spiritual and psychic phenomena, and that is what I'm addressing. Here, take a look at this to see what I mean.

"When I do a psychic reading with someone, I always check their aura first. If the aura sways back and forth, the person has a chemical imbalance, due to drugs, medication, drinking, a chemical imbalance in the body.
When I look at a photo of a person who has no aura - or the aura appears black - I know the person has crossed over - in part - or totally - as their physical body no longer has an electromagnetic energy field"

Please address auras as everyone understands them. Please do not go down the "steam and rice" pathway, it's disingenuous.

I don't think that is the case. My first understanding of auras was that all living things put off an energy that could be measured (Krilian photography). Attaching colors and emotions etc. was something that was done much later with the new age movement. IMO those are two seperate things.

I think it is correct to say that what JadeCloudAlchemist is talking about is an aura. The idea existed long before psychic powers were attributed to it.

OP
J

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rather then go into one of those debates over the meaning of words I rather just let the Wookie win. So you win EmptyHands I am not sure what you exactly win but its yours maybe you win this:

Wookie award
to
Emptyhands

Date:07/22/09

And a special message from c3po:

Debates are kinda of like competing in the Special Olympics even if you win you are still...well.."Special"

Last edited by a moderator:

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I find it much more interesting hearing you guys talk about the effect, its existence, and possible theories, than what each of you thinks the definition of a word is.

Take it as a compliment.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well if we define aura by what was apparently intended by your original post, an apparently visible to another human glow:

People for centuries reported seeing glows around the human body.

And what you are offering is this as evidence:

Past research has shown that the body emits visible light, 1,000 times less intense than the levels to which our naked eyes are sensitive. In fact, virtually all living creatures emit very weak light, which is thought to be a byproduct of biochemical reactions involving free radicals.

Then no, it is not "more proof" of an aura because, as noted in your quote, the human eye cannot detect this "light." If you can show that the human eye is capable of picking up this level of radiation, then you might have something. You might as well say that the infrared rays radiated from the human body are also proof of an "aura," the are also invisible to the unaided eye.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirlian_photography

refers to a form of photogram made with a high voltage. It is named after Semyon Kirlian, who in 1939 accidentally discovered that if an object on a photographic plate is connected to a source of high voltage, small corona discharges (created by the strong electric field at the edges of the object) create an image on the photographic plate.[1]
Uhhh..if the source is connected to energy how is it "mysterious" that energy appears in the photograph?

http://www.answers.com/topic/kirlian-photography

Although some have speculated that Kirlian photography actually records the aura long said by some mystics and psychic healers to exist around human beings, this is not a generally accepted viewpoint. A scientific explanation of these dramatic images is that they result from interactions between charged particles created by the electromagnetic field used to form the images. A 1976 Science article concluded that moisture is a principal determinant of the form and color of human Kirlian photographs.

It has also been noted that variations in a variety of factors, including the amount of pressure on the plate, the voltage and frequency, and the exposure time, moisture, and temperature, can all influence the images produced.

For these reasons, as well as claims of unreliability and a lack of research data supporting its use, Kirlian photography is not recognized as a legitimate diagnostic tool by the mainstream medical community.

OP
J

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blindside you are right. I find my energy is best spent else where then debating wrong or right on forums. But feel free to spend your time doing it have fun!!

:highfive:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, but the whole premise of this story seems a bit pedestrian. Why would it be surprising that living organisms produce minute amounts of light in the visible spectrum as a biproduct of metabolic processes? We already know that humans and other warm blooded animals produce body heat and radiate significant amounts of infrared light which can easily be observed with an infrared scope, night vision goggles, etc. And what any of this has to do with supposed psychic auras is beyond me. Sheeee! ...or should I say Chi!

Latest Discussions