Guess what time it is in WA and CO?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
420!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS...lize-recreational-marijuana/story?id=17652774

In a groundbreaking move, Colorado and Washington voters have passed referendums legalizing marijuana for recreational use. The drug is still banned under federal law.

Colorado's Proposition 64 to the state's constitution makes it legal for anyone over the age of 21 to possess marijuana and for businesses to sell it.

"The voters have spoken and we have to respect their will," Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper said in a statement. "This will be a complicated process, but we intend to follow through.

That said, federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug so don't break out the Cheetos or gold fish too quickly."

Step one to ending the ridiculous and destructive drug war.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's hope the feds respect it.

Obama said he would in 2008, but cracked down last year in CA. We'll see what happens. This is not medical pot. My guess is that the flood gates will open or the Fed will be forced to crack down.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There won't be any flood gates. People who want to use are already using. All this allows is taxation and regulation (as in, you won't buy pot and find out that it's laced with PCP).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this will be interesting to see how it works; or doesn't. I am against it and would have voted 'no' if it was on my state's ballot, but I respect the will of the people. Now we have to see how that works in reality; both vis-a-vis federal law and with respect to how 'the people' manage to deal with it. I think there will be lots of unintended consequences, but that's just a guess. We shall see.

EDIT: FYI, remember that is was a plebiscite, the vote of the people, which takes precedence over the elected officials of the state. When the citizens voted against same-sex marriage (in the past, in some states), many of you whined and cried about the 'Tyranny of the Majority' and how awful and terrible direct democracy was, and how it perverted the republican representative process. Well, now the shoe is on the other foot. I'd like to hear some folks in favor of legalization COMPLAIN because their majority is now the one 'tyrannizing' others. Go on, don't be a hypocrite, if the system was wrong before, it's wrong now. I'll wait.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There won't be any flood gates. People who want to use are already using. All this allows is taxation and regulation (as in, you won't buy pot and find out that it's laced with PCP).

It'll cross state lines that what I meant. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think this will be interesting to see how it works; or doesn't. I am against it and would have voted 'no' if it was on my state's ballot, but I respect the will of the people. Now we have to see how that works in reality; both vis-a-vis federal law and with respect to how 'the people' manage to deal with it. I think there will be lots of unintended consequences, but that's just a guess. We shall see.

EDIT: FYI, remember that is was a plebiscite, the vote of the people, which takes precedence over the elected officials of the state. When the citizens voted against same-sex marriage (in the past, in some states), many of you whined and cried about the 'Tyranny of the Majority' and how awful and terrible direct democracy was, and how it perverted the republican representative process. Well, now the shoe is on the other foot. I'd like to hear some folks in favor of legalization COMPLAIN because their majority is now the one 'tyrannizing' others. Go on, don't be a hypocrite, if the system was wrong before, it's wrong now. I'll wait.

The difference is that those who don't want to use it, can avoid. The only thing missing is an element of control over others.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The difference is that those who don't want to use it, can avoid. The only thing missing is an element of control over others.

Good point. However, it's still the same process - the majority rules. The complaint was that this should not be allowed to happen, because the majority is, by necessity, tyrannical. But I guess it matters more whose ox is being gored, eh?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There needs to be a real discusion about ending the business of law enforcement related to drugs, the business of incarcerating vast numbers of poor and minorities to support that business legalize all drugs manufacture them here cheaply tax it and put our money in treatment and education and jobs. Sick of the moral breast beating that we must fight drugs its not a fight its a business we all pay for with all the profits going to the 1%

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There needs to be a real discusion about ending the business of law enforcement related to drugs, the business of incarcerating vast numbers of poor and minorities to support that business legalize all drugs manufacture them here cheaply tax it and put our money in treatment and education and jobs. Sick of the moral breast beating that we must fight drugs its not a fight its a business we all pay for with all the profits going to the 1%

No, there doesn't. That's my opinion; marijuana should stay illegal and pushers can be convicted and put to death as far as I am concerned. Everybody gets an opinion, that's mine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, it's about damn time.