Potential downside to medical marijuana: criminals who want it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got the point. We have a different agenda. I was wanting to note that there is a new threat which many new users of MM may have no idea they are exposed to; you want to carp about the effect that manufactured scarcity has on crime rates. I don't disagree with your point - it just wasn't my point.

All of this is of some interest to me since in my state (Arizona) we will be voting on "mediacal marijuana" again this November. We, the voters, approved it in the past, but the legislature blocked it's implementation on technicalities. Both sides hold that this time it's the real deal. We'll see.

Now to the OP. I can't see thieves breaking into a private home to score an ounce or so of weed when there are many pounds available at a dispensary down the road. And, as far as the dispensaries go, dealing with crime is just part of the world we live in. Drugstores and pharmacies have problems too, and they deal with it. So for me, it's not an issue.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe someone should compare the enhanced risk of MM to the enhanced risk of having a huge flat screen TV. At least you can't see MM through the curtains.

+1

yeah, basically, this

I have firearms in the house, lots of martial arts weapons etc, so same could be said for me. Many people have morphine in their homes for back pain etc, so I dont see it as much of an extra risk by having MM in your home. I would agree there might be some, in some areas, but generally I would assume not much?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now to the OP. I can't see thieves breaking into a private home to score an ounce or so of weed when there are many pounds available at a dispensary down the road. And, as far as the dispensaries go, dealing with crime is just part of the world we live in. Drugstores and pharmacies have problems too, and they deal with it. So for me, it's not an issue.

I don't get where you can 'not see it' when I'm posting links to it actually happening. I mean, it's happening. Period. Fact. In what way is it not happening? Is this just something you don't want to accept?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
+1

yeah, basically, this

I have firearms in the house, lots of martial arts weapons etc, so same could be said for me. Many people have morphine in their homes for back pain etc, so I dont see it as much of an extra risk by having MM in your home. I would agree there might be some, in some areas, but generally I would assume not much?

Then all these news stories I'm reading about people being robbed for their MM is just lies, I guess. Or maybe I'm the liar. Whatever.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you are reading stories of a new occurrence so it's being covered quite a bit. People don't lime MM being available in their area and anything to draw a negative light to it. People can have agendas. Fact is, if someone wants to steal something of value from you they will attempt it, and yes MM falls under that heading.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Simplest and more reasonable thing to do is to decriminalize marijuana. Legalize it, tax it, and regulate it. When prohibition was in effect, we had the same kind of criminal activity around it.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't get where you can 'not see it' when I'm posting links to it actually happening. I mean, it's happening. Period. Fact. In what way is it not happening? Is this just something you don't want to accept?

I'm curious whether these individuals were actually targeted specifically for the medical marijuana, or whether they were simply victims of robberies who happened to have that taken as well. How much of this is the media focusing on these specific cases rather than other less sensational robberies happening at the same time?

In other words, it would be nice to quantify whether or not there's really an enhanced risk of robbery (for the personal use type crimes; I certainly believe that dispensaries might be targeted more often than other types of businesses for the allure of ready cash and easily sell-able and smoke-able goods).

Bill, I don't think we're actually disagreeing on much here, though we might interpret it a bit differently.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious whether these individuals were actually targeted specifically for the medical marijuana, or whether they were simply victims of robberies who happened to have that taken as well. How much of this is the media focusing on these specific cases rather than other less sensational robberies happening at the same time?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the couple robbed for their medical marijuana AS THEY WERE COMING OUT OF THE MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY were in fact targeted for their pot. I know, what are the chances? The robbers probably thought they had color TV sets in their pocket and were surprised to find medical pot patients who had medical pot on them.

In other words, it would be nice to quantify whether or not there's really an enhanced risk of robbery (for the personal use type crimes; I certainly believe that dispensaries might be targeted more often than other types of businesses for the allure of ready cash and easily sell-able and smoke-able goods).

Bill, I don't think we're actually disagreeing on much here, though we might interpret it a bit differently.

I think it's different agendas at work. I'm trying to point out that there are a new group of people getting involved in marijuana use now, due to the medical marijuana laws, and they might not be aware just how attractive their possessing marijuana might be to crooks; it seems others are afraid of anything that even purports to discuss that there might be a downside to medical marijuana - an unforeseen consequence. Hence, the shrug and mutter that hey, it's probably the same risk as a guy who owns a big screen TV. It's almost funny to watch. Ever try to stick a dog's nose in his mess? Yeah, like that. They'll look anywhere but where you want them to look; they'll do anything to pretend it's not there. Squirmy.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I see happening in my home town, medical marijuana is doomed. The growers are selling so much out the back door to stay under the legal possession limit, its only a matter of time before the Big crackdown.
sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simplest and more reasonable thing to do is to decriminalize marijuana. Legalize it, tax it, and regulate it. When prohibition was in effect, we had the same kind of criminal activity around it.
It's not so simple. I saw a documentary explaining some repricussions from a bunch of mexican marijuana growers and trafficers suddenly out of a way to make money. They will do something else and possibly worse.
sean

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The same thing happens to people who have prescriptions for pain meds, like perceset (sp?). It is a drug that has legitimet uses, but can also be easily abused and therefor has a street value. ANYTHING with a street value can become a target of thieves. Yes, these stories are becoming more frequent, but I think it is becaude << has become legal so the stories get reported...and there people with an agenda who want to make it seem ultra risky to have naything to do with marijuana. My opinion, is that in the past people who had pot in thier homes got robbed and marijuana dealers as well. They were smart enough not to report it to the police or the media.

People do need to be wise enough not to advertise anything in thier possesion that would make them a potential target. Things such as electronics, drugs, jewelry, boose, etc will make you a target to the criminal element.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The same thing happens to people who have prescriptions for pain meds, like perceset (sp?). It is a drug that has legitimet uses, but can also be easily abused and therefor has a street value. ANYTHING with a street value can become a target of thieves. Yes, these stories are becoming more frequent, but I think it is becaude << has become legal so the stories get reported...and there people with an agenda who want to make it seem ultra risky to have naything to do with marijuana. My opinion, is that in the past people who had pot in thier homes got robbed and marijuana dealers as well. They were smart enough not to report it to the police or the media.

People do need to be wise enough not to advertise anything in thier possesion that would make them a potential target. Things such as electronics, drugs, jewelry, boose, etc will make you a target to the criminal element.

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. Like I said, it's hilarious to watch the squirming to avoid noticing the truth staring you in the face.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. Like I said, it's hilarious to watch the squirming to avoid noticing the truth staring you in the face.

Honestly Bill, I don't get what you mean by this. i'm not wiggling or squirming, just posting how I see the issue. What exactly about my previous post is "squirming to avoid noticing the truth "?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly Bill, I don't get what you mean by this. i'm not wiggling or squirming, just posting how I see the issue. What exactly about my previous post is "squirming to avoid noticing the truth "?

The statement that all threats are the same, that all displays of wealth attract a similar amount of criminal interest. As others had previously tried this tactic in this thread, including denying that people were even being robbed for their medical marijuana despite my posting news articles that said they were, I tied it into my previous statement about agendas. Some seem to have a powerful aversion to recognizing that medical marijuana brings a new threat to the table, one that patients may not have considered. All threats are not the same.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally don't agree with your assessment. I think the threat would be the same if it was anything else that could be sold on the street. I don't think the increase of news stories is an accurate way of judging if the threat is increased from MM over any other valuble item, for the reaons I gave. If I go down to the corner store and announce I just got a new computer, I can pretty much guarantee I will have someone try to break into the house. Letting people know marijuana is in the house, legal or otherwise runs the same risk, in my oinion. You haven't shown me anything that counters that opinion, so I think we'll have to just agree to disagree unless you can show me something else.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally don't agree with your assessment. I think the threat would be the same if it was anything else that could be sold on the street. I don't think the increase of news stories is an accurate way of judging if the threat is increased from MM over any other valuble item, for the reaons I gave. If I go down to the corner store and announce I just got a new computer, I can pretty much guarantee I will have someone try to break into the house. Letting people know marijuana is in the house, legal or otherwise runs the same risk, in my oinion. You haven't shown me anything that counters that opinion, so I think we'll have to just agree to disagree unless you can show me something else.

Nobody smokes a new computer to get high. I've shown the facts plenty clearly. Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Three pages late to the party here. Bill, a question for you: if you're just reporting facts and not really saying one thing or the other about MM, why does the thread title start with "Potential downsides.."? The reason others are pointing out that MM shouldn't be made illegal because of the risk of theft is that you seem to be using it for that angle.

Not meaning to a throw a "gotcha" at you, but if you're wondering where the two different agendas arose from, that might be it.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Three pages late to the party here. Bill, a question for you: if you're just reporting facts and not really saying one thing or the other about MM, why does the thread title start with "Potential downsides.."? The reason others are pointing out that MM shouldn't be made illegal because of the risk of theft is that you seem to be using it for that angle.

Not meaning to a throw a "gotcha" at you, but if you're wondering where the two different agendas arose from, that might be it.

I understand your question, but no. I've specifically left out any of my own feelings about medical marijuana in this thread. The 'potential downside' of which I speak is the concept that medical marijuana users, particularly the elderly or those who might never have had exposure to the formerly illicit drug culture, may not be aware of the potential risks of growing it in their backyard or letting others know they have it.

I have not suggested that they not grow or use it. The law is the law, regardless of my opinion of it. If it is legal for medical use, then that's what it is. But recent news stories would seem to indicate that this is something they may want to concern themselves with.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the couple robbed for their medical marijuana AS THEY WERE COMING OUT OF THE MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY were in fact targeted for their pot. I know, what are the chances? The robbers probably thought they had color TV sets in their pocket and were surprised to find medical pot patients who had medical pot on them.

You're right, they probably were. Much like someone walking away from the ATM might be targeted for their ready cash. I certainly agree that there is an added risk here compared to someone, for instance, leaving their doctor's office. The odds are very good that they have something worth stealing. Whether the thief is stealing cash, jewelry, or pot is fairly irrelevant IMO.

I think it's different agendas at work. I'm trying to point out that there are a new group of people getting involved in marijuana use now, due to the medical marijuana laws, and they might not be aware just how attractive their possessing marijuana might be to crooks;

I agree completely with this statement, and believe that additional caution on their part would be prudent and a good idea in general.

it seems others are afraid of anything that even purports to discuss that there might be a downside to medical marijuana - an unforeseen consequence. Hence, the shrug and mutter that hey, it's probably the same risk as a guy who owns a big screen TV. It's almost funny to watch. Ever try to stick a dog's nose in his mess? Yeah, like that. They'll look anywhere but where you want them to look; they'll do anything to pretend it's not there. Squirmy.

I think the big screen TV analogy wasn't great; I think the risk is likely similar to someone wearing really nice jewelry, or who counts out a big stack of bills as they leave the ATM. Yes, you've just made yourself a much more attractive target for criminals, because they KNOW you have something worth stealing. I just question the idea that the drugs themselves would make you more of a target than other easily disposable valuables. I'm not even saying it couldn't be true, just that it sounds like the argument of someone with a vested interest in banning the shops & supply.

Similar arguments can and have been made about tattoo parlors in many neighborhoods where the residents don't want them because they will attract "undesirables" to the area.

Latest Discussions