Left Out of D-Day Events, Queen Elizabeth Is Fuming

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Britain seems to have done fairly well in the grand view of history with the system they have IMO. Yeah they may have some checkered incidents over the course of time but when you have thousands of years of history who wouldnt? We only have hundreds and look at the controversy we have been involved in....

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, yes, we're insulted (well I am at least); yes, it's those Frenchies fault (as it usually is); no, we don't really blame you Yanks for it but if you could stop pretending you're the saviours of the world and Gods divine gift to politics it'd be a help.

Don't, haven't and won't.

Pretend, that is....:lol:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a dangerous thing to do to a man with a mouthful of a gorgeous South African chenin blanc/colombar wine :lol:.

Still, my monitor needed a clean :D.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
If you're angry about the way your country does business, I'm sure Her Majesty will allow you into the Commonwealth, so that she and her advisors can correct things. Just ask her nicely. :rofl:

Seems that would be spitting on the graves of our ancestors, who went to such lengths to throw her family out of here. :lfao:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the French did at least, Elder ... anyone seeing a pattern here :p?

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems that would be spitting on the graves of our ancestors, who went to such lengths to throw her family out of here. :lfao:
I'm sure with Her Majesty being 'Defender of the Faith' you could relate the prodical son parable and she would then CONSIDER letting you back in the fold.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And that's true-back when all the "freedom fries" nonsense was going on

Exactly, they have never been french fries or freedom fries. THEY ARE CHIPS. Just call them by their real name and we won't have any problems.
icon12.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
But the thing is....you do have nothing to do with it lol!
It's not your government or monarchy, we don't criticise the way you run your country (oh and we could, trust me!) so why get so upset about the way we run ours?

Well, you have critized the US gov. And just because I don't live there doens't mean I'm not allowed to tell you just how much I hate you Monarchy. But don't worry - I hate all Monarchy, it's not just you.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Exactly, they have never been french fries or freedom fries. THEY ARE CHIPS. Just call them by their real name and we won't have any problems.
icon12.gif

"Pomme frites," actually. CHIPS are almost another thing altogether. Over here, though, they have almost always been "french fries," though there have been variations.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you have critized the US gov. And just because I don't live there doens't mean I'm not allowed to tell you just how much I hate you Monarchy. But don't worry - I hate all Monarchy, it's not just you.

Show me on this thread where I criticised the American government?

This thread was started sole as a means by an American to blame Obama for something that wasn't his fault and it's turned into a Brit bashing thread, nice one.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont understand ANY of this US v UK stuff....IMO we have far more in common than we do differences. The UK and their Commonwealths ALL have been friends to the US for many years and while I love my own country I wouldnt hesitate to live in any of them if I had to move somewhere else..

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Past threads have had posts that have been critical of the US government. The ironic thing is that you have been critical along with your countrymen. That's ok though, because criticism has been directed to policy and certain people in certain administrations.

No one here however has said that the system of government in the US is evil. No one has said that they hate the US system of government. You have said this about the political system in the UK. If you feel that way then I suggest that you stay away from the UK, just don't go there. In fact just stay away from the Commonwealth. You obviously have no respect for the people who choose to live under such a system.Yes that's right mate it is a choice.You've heard from an Ozzie, a Canadian and three Brits who are all happy to have Her Majesty as a Head Shed. I don't think you understand how treaured she is to people of the Commonwealth.

You see by dismissing the Queen you make a fool out of every public servant of the UK. Every Soldier, Royal Marine, Naval Seaman, Airman, Police Officer, Member of Parliament, Judge, QC and goverment Minister swear an oath to the reigning Monarch, to the Head of State, which just happens to be Her Royal Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.

This thread was about the Queen being disrespected by Sarkozy and you turn it into a hate fest, targeting the Queen of all people. You don't seem to realise haow pissed that makes us Brits. For all intents and purposes you could be saying the same about my mother as far as I'm concerned. You'd be supprised to know how many more Brits feel the same way.

Last edited:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Pomme frites," actually. CHIPS are almost another thing altogether. Over here, though, they have almost always been "french fries," though there have been variations.

Give me chunky "steak fries" any day of the week. French fries have always seemed rather greasy, soft and tasteless.....Wait, I've just realised why they are called FRENCH fries. :rofl:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all know that opinions on ANY topic may vary widely, but all you Brits should know (if you dont already) that there is a LARGE "Royal Family Fanclub" in the US too. Visits draw crowds. My wife had a veritable shrine to Princess Diana back when they got married.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Give me chunky "steak fries" any day of the week. French fries have always seemed rather greasy, soft and tasteless.....Wait, I've just realised why they are called FRENCH fries. :rofl:

Over here French Fries are those crappy things you get in McDonalds .
Chips on the other hand are a gastronomic delight lovingly hand crafted and cooked by the old Greek bloke and his missus that own the Fish and Chip shop down the road .

Nothing better than Fish and Chips with salt and vinegar or slathered in tomato sauce when you've been at the beach all day body surfing .
Its fair dinkum bloody beeeewdiful mate .

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YL beat me to the point (me still being in Blighty I had to go to bed at some time :D) when he said that something that may be a little obscure to our trans-atlantic friends is that the Monarchy over here attracts a much stronger sense of loyalty (if not indeed love (in the biblical agape sense)) than merely being a pivotal part of a system of government.

Some here do not feel that way, that is so, largely because they are ignorant of what the Crown actually does and only see the sillyness and indiscretions that every now and then occur.

Many here do value the Royal Family, however and, especially at times like now, when our elected government has been caught with its collective hands in the till, we feel truly blessed that the Queen is there to be the steadying force that stops the whole anthill collapsing in a chaotic mess.

As I hinted at above, it stems from a trust in a bond between monarch and people that has eased into place over the centuries as the Crown began to function much more in our interests than it's own (with the creation of parliamentary democracy).

Just because that mutual agreement is not written down in a Constitution doesn't mean that it doesn't exist and even educated, agnostic, cynics like me still give our fealty to the Queen (possibly, in part, because she does not demand it of us).

Some are proposing that as a step in the current crisis of confidence we need to get ourselves a written constitution but I'm not certain that that is such a good idea. In many ways, tradition is a stronger guiding hand than legal phraseology. Write the 'rules' down and people will find ways around them. "It's just not done" has been responsible for keeping more people in authority on track than almost anything else I reckon :).

Anyhow, I'm wandering off beam with that. All I wanted to get across is that many of her subjects feel much more strongly about our Queen than perhaps others realise.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just back after working 12 hour day shift, nice weather again though! the Queen is my boss so I have to be nice about her lol. Actually I don't, that's one of the nice things about being a Brit.
Personally I have never criticised the American way of government or how it does things, I do ask a lot of questions though as I wish to understand better how it's run. I may criticise an individual such as a politician/government minister etc who has in my opinion either damaged my country or interfered in someway as in the CIA interfering with elections etc but I don't express opinions about your laws, the right to bear arms, the death penalty etc subjects which I feel strongly about when it concerns my country but not yours. People have in the past felt they could speak for me here but never have they been right.

I only express an opinion about an American governmental issue if it's a foreign policy that affects me. American policies on Iraq and Afghanistan affect me directly as we are tightly involved together in these situations so yes I will comment. I won't however say your presidential system or the way you elect your officials is evil or wrong, I wouldn't dream of being so insulting.

Tbh I have little idea of how you run things other than the presidential elections which feature widely here in the media. I often however offer an opinion on how we do things here not because we do it better ( or worse lol) but because understanding each other is the way forward I believe and to do that we should share information on our customs,laws, traditions etc. It's educational. . . . and friendly.

Latest Discussions