Left Out of D-Day Events, Queen Elizabeth Is Fuming

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah , when was that ?
10 years ago and we haven't had another one since , which umm sort of tells you that we like it the way it is .

Most people here love the Queen , and they absolutely adored the Queen Mum . We even like Prince Charles because he went to school here which makes him part Aussie in our book even if he does look like a Volkswagen with its doors open .

The Queen sends birthday cards here to old people , gives out Knighthoods . You grow up feeling like you know her , her pictures are up on the wall in school , scout halls , government buildings , she's everywhere.

At Christmas time you watch the Queens Christmas message on telly , when they come out here for a visit its a big deal , thousands and thousands of people line the streets to see her .

When anything bad happens here she is the first one on the phone to ring the Prime Minister and offer her condolences . Australians trust that woman , more than what we trust our own politicians.

Well if someone gets in there that we don't like , then we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it. But don't hold your breath waiting for Australia to become a republic because most people like it the way it is.
Besides we've got other stuff to worry about like a drought , unemployment and all the rest of it .

God save the Queen.
Same as in Canada, and with the exception of a few dissenters who'd rather we be Americans, our feeling toward the Monarchy is the same.

BTW, loved the Charles/Volkswagen line!

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, they (White House staff, rarely the Pres. himself) answer some letters, and, since Obama's big on the using the INternet, they'll answer some emails sent to (surprise!) [email protected].
Interesting.
Of course, while the White House might be seen as some as displaying a lack of tact or diplomacy in accepting the invitation from France, he'd certainly have been seen as lacking tact or diplomacy for refusing it. In additions, the British PM has been invited, and he's the head of state, or, at least, the state's elected representative.
The Queen is the Chief of state, the PM is the Head of the Government.
I mean, what exactly should the White House apologize for? Accepting the invitation? The French deciding to snub the Queen?
Not insisting the Queen be included, IMO, at least.
Honestly.:rolleyes:
sometimes...

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, it's a Marine thing: I hate any form of government with inherited roles. I don't care how bloody good she is! If it's not Democracy or Meritocracy, I want nothing to do with it!

The UK is both a Democracy and Meritocracy. Do you see peasants like Sir Richard Branson and Sir Alan Sugar mopping floors. No, they both worked from the ground floor up and became billionaires. So why then is the UK not a meritocracy?

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In additions, the British PM has been invited, and he's the head of state, or, at least, the state's elected representative.

Wrong, the Queen IS the Head of State by the grace of God and the will of the people. You are correct she was not elected, but the people of the UK and Commonwealth are free to dispand the Monarchy at any time. By the way Gordon Brown will be removed long before the Monarchy by the same people who could remove Her Majesty, the people of the UK.

Was Gordon Brown elected to the position of PM by the people of the UK? I thought he was appointed after Blair left office.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon Brown was elected as a Member of Parliament, his fellow Labour MPs elected as Prime Minister, we didn't.
At the rate MPs are being exposed and not standing for re election we will have a whole load of new people in come the next election including we hope Gordon.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong, the Queen IS the Head of State by the grace of God and the will of the people. You are correct she was not elected, but the people of the UK and Commonwealth are free to dispand the Monarchy at any time. By the way Gordon Brown will be removed long before the Monarchy by the same people who could remove Her Majesty, the people of the UK.

Was Gordon Brown elected to the position of PM by the people of the UK? I thought he was appointed after Blair left office.

I don't care that the Queen wasn't elected or not. All I know is that when Bush wanted your country's help in Iraq, he didn't turn to the Queen, he went to Blair.

And Gordon Brown was elected-whether by the people or their representatives in Parliament is hardly relevant to me, or, apparently, to the French. :lol:

Lastly, the distinction between the "head of state" and "head of government" is duly noted, though one that escapes many of us that don't live under some sort of monarchy. Please note again, that when Bush turned to your state for assistance it was the PM he approached, not the Queen. Please also note that in our country, as in France, the head of state and the head of the government are the same person....and it's France's party.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
A bit sharp there, Elder. Could I ask why?

I don't care for being confused with someone else. I don't care one way or the other that you have a monarchy. I've made no judgements in that regard. I don't care that the "Queen isn't elected." It seems to me that that's why she's "the Queen," and not the PM I don't care about the merits of your system of government vs. ours-it's hardly relevant. I don't care to split hairs about whether your PM is elected by the people, or by other Members of Paliament-seems to me he's still your state's "elected representative," or "head of state." I'm sorry your Queen wasn't invited to France's celebration-bit rude of the French, I think, but-again, not our problem.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care that the Queen wasn't elected or not. All I know is that when Bush wanted your country's help in Iraq, he didn't turn to the Queen, he went to Blair.

And Gordon Brown was elected-whether by the people or their representatives in Parliament is hardly relevant to me, or, apparently, to the French. :lol:

Lastly, the distinction between the "head of state" and "head of government is duly noted. Please note again, that when Bush turned to your state for assistance it was the PM he approached, not the Queen. Please also note that in our country, as in France, the head of state and the head of the government are the same person....and it's France's party.

First of all technically we don't have a Prime Minister, Tony Blair was, as Gordon Brown is 'The First Lord of the Treasury'.

This country cannot enter a war without the Queen's permission, thats the legal fact. It can enter a conflict but not a war. The Queen can refuse that permission if she feels it's in the best interest of the country, she's supposed to remain neutral in politics but she can if she felt strongly enough, disagree with any of her ministers advice or policies.

If she took such action the government would be obliged to resign and call an election to allow the country to decide. This hasn't happened yet in this country but in 1975 in Australia the government was dismissed and another put in until elections were called.

Tony Blair only had the right to put troops in any hostile situation for three months then he had to get the permission of not only the Queen but Parliament, not the government but Parliament.

It could be said that Blair pushed Bush into war by providing false intel so who was manipulating whom?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can we all blame Jimmy Carter for it all, and share some cold beverages maybe?

;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care for being confused with someone else. I don't care one way or the other that you have a monarchy. I've made no judgements in that regard. I don't care that the "Queen isn't elected." It seems to me that that's why she's "the Queen," and not the PM I don't care about the merits of your system of government vs. ours-it's hardly relevant. I don't care to split hairs about whether your PM is elected by the people, or by other Members of Paliament-seems to me he's still your state's "elected representative," or "head of state." I'm sorry your Queen wasn't invited to France's celebration-bit rude of the French, I think, but-again, not our problem.

If you read the posts the Brits have been saying it's France's fault not America's and this thread was introduced by an American not us. We are just correcting what some Americans think is the procedures in our country as one person not you, seems to be quite angry about how we conduct our business.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
If you read the posts the Brits have been saying it's France's fault not America's and this thread was introduced by an American not us. We are just correcting what some Americans think is the procedures in our country as one person not you, seems to be quite angry about how we conduct our business.

I'm pretty angry with how our country conducts business. For decades we supported ruthless fascist dictators in the name of fighting "the spread of Communism," something that ultimately did itself in. We didn't care how the Samoza's did business-of course, that's before Cuong was born. We didn't care how the Shah of Iran did business, and that really worked out well for us, didn't it? People talk about Obama and "hope and change," but nothing's really changed, except citizens of the U.S. continue to get distracted and altogether blindered by non-issues like another country snubbing the Queen of yet another country, as though they've never gone to a party at the house of a friend who hadn't invited another mutual friend, while, in the very meantime, the agenda of the people who really run things continues unimpeded, just as it has for all of my life.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please also note that in our country, as in France, the head of state and the head of the government are the same person

J'accuse, monsieur!

President of France: Head of State
Prime Minister of France: Head of Government*

We are just correcting what some Americans think is the procedures in our country as one person not you, seems to be quite angry about how we conduct our business.

You're free to conduct your business as you wish. It's just that it's very odd to select one's Head of State at birth. You're using a system from the 800s in the 2000s. There have been improvements since then!

(*In fact the semi-presidential system used in France means that some of this authority can sometimes be exercised by the President also, so the division is less clear-cut than in some other systems.)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
France. We come from France.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I think the guys with the perfect system can comment on the other guys imperfect systems. Until they show up, I think everyone else needs to realize that we use the system that works best for us at the moment. "we" of course refers to any country, except the perfect ones.

Contrary to the locals opinion, that's not Quebec either. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Contrary to the locals opinion, that's not Quebec either. ;)

I'll let you be the one to tell that to the Quebecois, Bob. Ima not touchin' that one. :lol:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If you don't care, why comment? It seems by your tone that you do indeed care.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? Or are some posts invisible to me? Or some meanings that I'm too obtuse to see?

I just wonder as all of a sudden the heat level seems to have gone up in here and I can't figure out why?

For the record, yes, we're insulted (well I am at least); yes, it's those Frenchies fault (as it usually is); no, we don't really blame you Yanks for it but if you could stop pretending you're the saviours of the world and Gods divine gift to politics it'd be a help.

Anyone have a problem with any of that, then take it up with me - I've got big enough problems in my life that a few hot posts aren't going to make that much of a difference.

Otherwise, if we could go back to pretending that we're rational and level headed, I'd be most grateful.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty angry with how our country conducts business. For decades we supported ruthless fascist dictators in the name of fighting "the spread of Communism," something that ultimately did itself in. We didn't care how the Samoza's did business-of course, that's before Cuong was born. We didn't care how the Shah of Iran did business, and that really worked out well for us, didn't it? People talk about Obama and "hope and change," but nothing's really changed, except citizens of the U.S. continue to get distracted and altogether blindered by non-issues like another country snubbing the Queen of yet another country, as though they've never gone to a party at the house of a friend who hadn't invited another mutual friend, while, in the very meantime, the agenda of the people who really run things continues unimpeded, just as it has for all of my life.
If you're angry about the way your country does business, I'm sure Her Majesty will allow you into the Commonwealth, so that she and her advisors can correct things. Just ask her nicely. :rofl:

Latest Discussions