Medical marijuana bill clears Illinois Senate

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SPRINGFIELD - With the help of key suburban votes, a plan to let those suffering from certain medical ailments and conditions use marijuana cleared the Illinois Senate Wednesday.

Article.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It will be interesting to see if this makes any real difference in your state's approach to marijuana law enforcement or the availability of marijuana to sick people undergoing chemo or suffering from glaucoma. In my state (Arizona) we, the voters approved medical marijuana initiatives two times only to find that our legislators would not enact the reforms, ostensibly because federal law trumps state laws.

Incidentally, over many years, I have lost several friends to cancer. Some found that only marijuana gave them a measure of relief from pain, nausea, and depression in their last months of life. The other prescription drugs offered were ineffective or had very unpleasant side effects. Off the record, their doctors concurred. And neither of these individuals was a "stoner", but rather professionals and family men trying to cope with a losing battle against the big "C". I thank God I haven't had to walk in their shoes, and I question the right of any government to deny people this small comfort as they confront such a horrible illness.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no problem with medical marijuana for actual relief of pain associated with the serious illnesses mentioned. Unfortunately, too many (IMHO) of the recent 'medical marijuana' laws have a tail-end clause that says "or other chronic pain." Well, that's a recreational loophole. I have seasonal allergies. That's 'chronic pain' if I can get a doctor to agree.

California is the prime example. The proponents of medical marijuana swore up and down that it was not just a backdoor legalization of recreational marijuana, but that is exactly what it is. Several exposes have show doctors willing to give a prescription for medical marijuana anytime someone says "I got pain, doc!" Great for the dope-smokers in CA, but as far as I'm concerned, they queered the deal for everyone else. No one can claim it's just for actual physical suffering anymore, because California proponents lied their dope-smoking asses off.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I was suffering from chronic pain, and I had the choice of medical marijuana or a drug pushed by the pharmaceutical companies, I'd choose the marijuana.

I'd prefer the side effects of my choice a little better. The side effects of Marijuana seem much more acceptable than other prescription pain meds.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I was suffering from chronic pain, and I had the choice of medical marijuana or a drug pushed by the pharmaceutical companies, I'd choose the marijuana.

I'd prefer the side effects of my choice a little better. The side effects of Marijuana seem much more acceptable than other prescription pain meds.

The term 'chronic pain' is just a little too vague for me. What kind of chronic pain? I get sinus headaches every spring, can I smoke dope for that?

In my opinion, 'chronic pain' is a code phrase for 'party time'. It's a thin euphemism that fools no one. Enough Californians have given it the wink, wink, nudge, nudge, to let the electorate know that they've been hoodwinked. It's a 'ha-ha, in yo face' that you can see on youtube videos. It's an insult to the good people who voted for it thinking they were voting to help people alleviate suffering, not get stoned with a doctor's prescription. What I hate about as much as pot itself? Being lied to by a bunch of idiot potheads who think it's a joke.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no problem with medical marijuana for actual relief of pain associated with the serious illnesses mentioned. Unfortunately, too many (IMHO) of the recent 'medical marijuana' laws have a tail-end clause that says "or other chronic pain." Well, that's a recreational loophole. I have seasonal allergies. That's 'chronic pain' if I can get a doctor to agree.

Bill, you're right. For a lot of folks, the medical marijuana thing is a step towards de-criminalizing weed. And I know that's unacceptable to you. Personally, I don't care about that. I absolutely support medical marijuana legislation regardless of whether the pot-heads support it to further their own agenda. And honestly, I probably would also consider supporting de-criminalization of marijuana too, but that really is another topic, and one that's been thoroughly discussed on other threads.

The real question here is can you support medical marijuana as the right thing to do, regardless of whether the Cheech and Chong community see it as helping their cause?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The real question here is can you support medical marijuana as the right thing to do, regardless of whether the Cheech and Chong community see it as helping their cause?

I certainly can, if the loopholes are not present. I don't want to see people suffer who could have their pain alleviated by marijuana.

I'm also for the use of hemp (marijuana, but with next to no THC) for paper, biofuel, oil, whatever other uses it has. It's a great plant when used properly, and it should be exploited.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The term 'chronic pain' is just a little too vague for me. What kind of chronic pain? I get sinus headaches every spring, can I smoke dope for that?

In my opinion, 'chronic pain' is a code phrase for 'party time'. It's a thin euphemism that fools no one. Enough Californians have given it the wink, wink, nudge, nudge, to let the electorate know that they've been hoodwinked. It's a 'ha-ha, in yo face' that you can see on youtube videos. It's an insult to the good people who voted for it thinking they were voting to help people alleviate suffering, not get stoned with a doctor's prescription. What I hate about as much as pot itself? Being lied to by a bunch of idiot potheads who think it's a joke.

Bill, if marijuana cured my seasonal allergies (which are pretty severe and have recently forced me to sneeze out my recently cemented tooth) then by all means...

Light me up.

People abuse the system all of the time. There are kids out there abusing OTC medicines, inhalants... mouth wash.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, if marijuana cured my seasonal allergies (which are pretty severe and have recently forced me to sneeze out my recently cemented tooth) then by all means...

Light me up.

People abuse the system all of the time. There are kids out there abusing OTC medicines, inhalants... mouth wash.

Lots of people do lots of things. I have a personal problem with recreational pot-smoking and pot-smokers and I always will. Light up all you like - I'll never condone it, never agree with it, if it becomes legal I'll never do it, nor will I ever tolerate being around anyone who does. Light up in my house and you get defenestrated.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly can, if the loopholes are not present. I don't want to see people suffer who could have their pain alleviated by marijuana.

I'm also for the use of hemp (marijuana, but with next to no THC) for paper, biofuel, oil, whatever other uses it has. It's a great plant when used properly, and it should be exploited.

But you know that's virtually impossible, right? I mean kids drink cough syrup and pop cold meds for goodness sake.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand your stance on the issue, as well as your extremely emotional reaction to the recreational use of drugs.

But this is medicinal, and no matter what you say, I believe that the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks when it comes to medicinal marijuana. If I still lived in Illinois, I'd vote for it.

When it comes to Missouri, I'll vote for medicinal marijuana.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But you know that's virtually impossible, right? I mean kids drink cough syrup and pop cold meds for goodness sake.

Sure, but I'll never acquiesce just because everybody is doing it anyway. If I changed my values just because no one else agreed with me, I'd be a coward. My values are my values, and if I change any of them, it will because I've evaluated them and found myself to be wrong - not because of some popularity contest. I am what I am - I remain a hater of the weed.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, but I'll never acquiesce just because everybody is doing it anyway. If I changed my values just because no one else agreed with me, I'd be a coward. My values are my values, and if I change any of them, it will because I've evaluated them and found myself to be wrong - not because of some popularity contest. I am what I am - I remain a hater of the weed.

This shouldn't be a personal issue about Bill Mattocks, this is a topic that affects an entire state and its population.

Again, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks:
-public stabilization of marijuana growth/usage
-non-narcotic alternative to pain relief
-more accountability for those breaking any laws regarding medicinal marijuana
-Increases public responsibility in terms of marijuana, its use, and its image as a medicine.

Some of the drawbacks include:
-Abuse of the system (people already do that with drugs far worse than marijuana)
-yep... that's about it, since illegal marijuana use is already prevalent. no new illegal boundaries will be breached.
-Maybe the stereotypical pot-smoking culture will be more exposed... But you can smell patchouli a mile away, so you can make a conscious decision to leave if you'd like.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This shouldn't be a personal issue about Bill Mattocks, this is a topic that affects an entire state and its population.

One could also argue that the legalization of marijuana for medicinal use, coupled with widespread realization that it is just an end-run around marijuana laws, leads to further erosion of the public belief that laws are to be followed, and it could encourage more children to experiment than might have otherwise, since Dad smokes it for his stubbed toe pain.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't wait for the day when it's legal, taxed, tested and treated like any other controlled substance. When I can go to my corner store and buy a pack of weed cigarettes with a warning on the side about not smoking and driving and an age limit. When dealers and growers don't' have to arm themselves or are driven out of the business by real large scale growers with real standards for quality.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One could also argue that the legalization of marijuana for medicinal use, coupled with widespread realization that it is just an end-run around marijuana laws, leads to further erosion of the public belief that laws are to be followed, and it could encourage more children to experiment than might have otherwise, since Dad smokes it for his stubbed toe pain.

Human behavior can be very hard to predict. When I was underage, I smoked tobacco, got drunk and smoked a bit of weed out, of a desire to rebel and, ironically, to feel grown up. I haven't smoked either weed or tobacco since the seventies, and I rarely drink. When I do, my limit is two beers.

My wife by contrast grew up straight as an arrow in a poor, single-parent home with a young, dropout Mom who had four kids starting at 16. Her dad was a pot smoking musician who left the family when she was a baby. He did show up at their home periodically and got high in front of the kids. Two of the kids followed the dad's example, the other two saw their dad's behavior as the wretched reason for their poverty and hardship. These two girls, my wife and her sister, worked hard and made better choices. At least until my wife married me!

Good and bad choices are out there. As parents, we do what we can to prepare our kids. But we can't protect them completely, or make their choices for them. We can only hope that when the time comes they choose well. You said that your daughter chose poorly. My heart goes out to you. I have a daughter too. She's just 13 and stubborn as hell. I pray that she will make it through adolescence OK and find her way. She's already past the age where she listens much to me. But when she asked me about tobacco, alcohol and illegal drugs, I was honest with her. I told her that I've made a lot of really stupid choices and been lucky enough to make it through alive. Not by much though. But that's another story.

My point? I hear where you are coming from. I just don't agree. I think people deserve to make their own choices. Hell, they will anyway. But having "big brother" make the decisions for you doesn't sit well with me. Sorry, it's a personal thing. Like you, I'm a stubborn old SOB.

Latest Discussions