Left Out of D-Day Events, Queen Elizabeth Is Fuming

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Left Out of D-Day Events, Queen Elizabeth Is Fuming

By JOHN F. BURNSMay 28, 2009
The New York Times EXCERPT:

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth is not amused.
Indeed, she is decidedly displeased, angry even, that she was not invited to join President Obama and France’s president, Nicolas Sarkozy, next week at commemorations of the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy, according to reports published in Britain’s mass-circulation tabloid newspapers on Wednesday. Pointedly, Buckingham Palace did not deny the reports.
The queen, who is 83, is the only living head of state who served in uniform during World War II. As Elizabeth Windsor, service number 230873, she volunteered as a subaltern in the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service, training as a driver and a mechanic. Eventually, she drove military trucks in support roles in England.
While serving, she met the supreme Allied commander for the D-Day landings, Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, and developed a fondness for him, according to several biographies. This prompted Queen Elizabeth, who was crowned in June 1953, to say in later years that he was the American president with whom she felt most at ease.
But on June 6, when Mr. Obama and Mr. Sarkozy attend commemorations at the iconic locations associated with the American D-Day assault — Utah Beach, the town of Ste.-Mère-Église, where the first United States paratroopers landed, and the American war cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer — the highest-ranking British representative will be Prime Minister Gordon Brown. His main role will be at ceremonies at the town of Arromanches, near the beaches where British troops landed.
END EXCERPT
This is a surprising slap in the face to one of our staunchest allies.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What the hell is going on? Who is his ****ed-up relations coordinator? Do you guys think he's doing this on purpose or he's just ill-advised as hell?

Bowing to muslim leaders ... ignoring the queen ... what the ****????

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's what you expect from the French but it would have been good if the American president had perhaps said he wouldn't come unless the Queen did.
Gordon Brown is a prat so no good looking there either.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What the hell is going on? Who is his ****ed-up relations coordinator? Do you guys think he's doing this on purpose or he's just ill-advised as hell?

I doubt he set out to slap the queen, but, he didn't care when she got slapped...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's what you expect from the French but it would have been good if the American president had perhaps said he wouldn't come unless the Queen did.
Gordon Brown is a prat so no good looking there either.
We Americans don't have the history with the French that the UK does.
A gentleman would have insisted she were involved, not just attending, involved.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once you excuse. When a pattern shows, then you get angry. Seems he's letting the Brits know how insignificant he thinks their support is. This will bite him, and us, in the *** in the future.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was clear in the weeks leading up to the election that the British people were, on the whole, fairly enthusiastic about the prospect of having Barack Obama win the election.

Cheers, Britain! I hope you are enjoying the new president as much as I am.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People think the queen is literally just a figurehead but she actually wields great influence right throughout the world. She's a consummate diplomate and a very astute politician so I think things may get interesting in the world of diplomacy.
She carries great weight in places too such as Pakistan and India as well as in Saudi Arabia, she doesn't just chat racehorses with the the Saudi Royal family, trade etc is dicussed. A lot of Asia also listens to her, Singapore of course is in the Commonwealth. She also has relatives everywhere lol, if there's a royal family in the country they are related to her.
The Queen is reknown for her knowledge and her skills in patching up arguments etc between countries is actually legendary. A good person to have onside.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was clear in the weeks leading up to the election that the British people were, on the whole, fairly enthusiastic about the prospect of having Barack Obama win the election.

Cheers, Britain! I hope you are enjoying the new president as much as I am.

We blame the French, their invitation, their country. It would have been nice if he says something but it's not down to him.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
We blame the French, their invitation, their country. It would have been nice if he says something but it's not down to him.

Yeah, good point. He may not have even known who was on the invitation list. FTFA, they invited the Prime Minister, so it looks like more of a personal affront rather than a national one. Weird, but like you said - French.

Then there's this:
The French have said officially that they regard the commemorations in the American sector of the landings as “primarily a Franco-American ceremony,”

LOL! History FAIL.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder, when Obama leaves, will the French line the streets, shouting for him to hurry up and leave, make rude gestures, and hurl insults, like they did when our liberating troops left?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A U.K. rep. should've been invited--say, the PM. Ignoring the Queen? If a country still has a heritable form of government in 2009, I'm OK with ignoring that.

the Queen is not the government, shes the head of state. There's no power in that but as I said she has a huge amount of influence...experience too as shes been in the loop for most of the worlds events since 1953.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this the nuanced foreign policy we were told would raise our status in the world?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye. The only problem is the definition of 'nuance' that is being used appears to be a synonym of 'cock up'.

Mind you, as Tez says, it's probably not the doing of Obama and his diplomatically inept cohorts this time.

I shall say no more on the matter as otherwise I shall start ranting on about "The French" (TM) in a fashion that would bring shame upon my head (blame my paternal Grandfather (or more accurately his experiences during the war) for that) :eek:.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

Me too.

What do you expect? I mean, he gave her a DVD as a gift for cryin' out loud. Even if it's not Obama's or his diplomat's fault, they should have addressed the issue. It would have been the proper thing to do.

Queen Elizabeth demands a great deal of respect. She was out in the thick of it during WWII. I don't blame her for feeling slighted. As an American I'm extremely embarassed.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you expect? I mean, he gave her a DVD as a gift for cryin' out loud. Even if it's not Obama's or his diplomat's fault, they should have addressed the issue. It would have been the proper thing to do.

That was Gordon Brown that he gave the DVDs. For the queen, he spared no expense and bought her an iPod. :rofl:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the Queen is not the government, shes the head of state. There's no power in that

The monarch retains a number of powers, including appointing PMs, granting honours (necessary now for new members of the house of Lords, and some knighthoods are by discretion), dissolving Parliament (which could actually involve some individual discretion by the monarch if the Parliament was hung, e.g. 1974) plus, formally, a laundry list of "Royal Perogative" powers actually exercised by the govt. Many of the restrictions on the sovereign's powers are by convention and might require an act of Parliament to circumvent if the monarch tried to exercise actual control.

As a matter of law, the Royal Assent is still requried for laws. It hasn't been refused for centuries, but that's still the law. A populist monarch might get away with exercising some more of his or her tehoretical power.

Latest Discussions