Last Poster #7

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Southern Louisiana.
I enjoyed Southern Louisiana quite a bit. All good memories.

And I donā€™t pronounce Louisiana with any ā€œwheezieā€ in it. šŸ¤—

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed Southern Louisiana quite a bit. All good memories.

And I donā€™t pronounce Louisiana with any ā€œwheezieā€ in it. šŸ¤—
Some do, some donā€™t. We do in the Acadiana, but some friends from Houma didnā€™t. They also called pirogue ā€œPee-rawā€ while we call them ā€œPee-roeā€! šŸ˜

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is just sad. But it proves a point from another post. That video was a mashup of the people they Wanted you to see to make their (incorrect I hope) point.
I really think itā€™s just supposed to be funny and is a good example of how people can freeze when under pressure. I donā€™t think Kimmel was making any serious point here.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude! I just started Harry Potter recently, FINALLY haha, been meaning to for ages. Just finished the sorting hat chapter :D
The Harry Potter books were really cool. I love the little details I didn't see in the movies.

At the beginning of the first book, it describes Dumbledore's pocket watch as golden with no numbers, twelve hands and planets along the edges. A really neat little detail.

Theres some other little details or just outright cut scenes in future books that were really neat. Like when Ron and Hermoine get their prefect badges.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You watched the films too? šŸ˜³

šŸ¼šŸ‘¶šŸ»
I vaguely remember watching the first four in theaters. When I was in college, HBO played all of the movies back to back movie marathon a lot. I have seen the movies far more times than I wish to admit. Probably more than I can count.

The film's are the main reason I wanted to know all the movie/book differences.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember watching the first four in theaters. When I was in college, HBO played all of the movies back to back movie marathon a lot. I have seen the movies far more times than I wish to admit. Probably more than I can count.

I tried to get into HP due to all the hype around it. So I bought the Blu-Ray box set and got through 3/4 of the first film before abandoning my exploration and gifting the box set to my HP obsessed goddaughter. She said the first two films were the most challenging to watch! Why would you put the weakest films at the beginning of oneā€™s opus?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really think itā€™s just supposed to be funny and is a good example of how people can freeze when under pressure. I donā€™t think Kimmel was making any serious point here.
I agree with that. He doesn't know how.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Iā€™m sure youā€™re right; theyā€™re definitely selected for the sake of entertainment and Iā€™m sure this not-reading-books phenomenon is ubiquitous around the world.

Have you tried reading Moby Dick/Catcher in the Rye/Frankenstein? šŸ„±šŸ˜“

My other half is consultant physician at the top of her game but she never reads books even though I buy them for her, and is instead, glued to her phone, looking for information about her war-torn country or cat/dog videos!
I have read Moby Dick a few times and Frankenstein at least once. My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so read almost everything from my laptop or Kindle.
I do read more white papers than novels though.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read Moby Dick a few times and Frankenstein at least once. My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so read almost everything from my laptop or Kindle.
I do read more white papers than novels though.
Both great reads!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Harry Potter books were really cool. I love the little details I didn't see in the movies.

At the beginning of the first book, it describes Dumbledore's pocket watch as golden with no numbers, twelve hands and planets along the edges. A really neat little detail.

Theres some other little details or just outright cut scenes in future books that were really neat. Like when Ron and Hermoine get their prefect badges.
Yeah it really is great seeing all the details, and amazing within the first few pages even just all the back story that isn't told in the film! And the sorting hat singing? What?!?

I'm not into movies in general, like, I just don't watch them and am not interested in them. But the HP movies I absolutely love, and go back to do a run through from time to time. And same for me regarding finally reading the books.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
And the sorting hat singing? What?!?
That and it spends most of the school year(s) coming up with new and creative lyrics for the school year. Peeves is someone to look forward to as well in future books.

same for me regarding finally reading the books.

You're probably reading faster than I am. I started reading them two years ago. I'd read two to four chapters a day. Always an even number then I randomly stopped during book 4. Lot of procrastination. On a whim I picked them up near the end of February. Finished book 4 so fast I just had to get in book 5 and I been on a roll. 2 chapters on most days. Occasionally 4.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That and it spends most of the school year(s) coming up with new and creative lyrics for the school year. Peeves is someone to look forward to as well in future books.
Whhaaaat... mind blown!
You're probably reading faster than I am. I started reading them two years ago. I'd read two to four chapters a day. Always an even number then I randomly stopped during book 4. Lot of procrastination. On a whim I picked them up near the end of February. Finished book 4 so fast I just had to get in book 5 and I been on a roll. 2 chapters on most days. Occasionally 4.
Oh trust me you're reading faster than me haha.. I am an incredibly slow reader... read maybe 2-4 pages a night. But then I read other stuff during the day so apart from attention issues, spreading myself between so many books may contribute haha. Usually read my nonfiction stuff during day and fiction book in bed (which usually gets me sleeping quite fast haha).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Iā€™m in the not a big Harry Potter fan. Theyā€™re cromulent, but thatā€™s about it. My kids read them when they first came out and generally Iā€™m for whatever gets kids to read more. Percy Jackson was also very popular, as were the Lemony Snicket books. I read whatever the kids read and enjoy YA for what it is, but I mostly read non fiction or high fantasy for myself.

@granfire, Brent Weeks is great. Didnā€™t he write a series where magic was color based?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Iā€™m in the not a big Harry Potter fan. Theyā€™re cromulent, but thatā€™s about it. My kids read them when they first came out and generally Iā€™m for whatever gets kids to read more. Percy Jackson was also very popular, as were the Lemony Snicket books. I read whatever the kids read and enjoy YA for what it is, but I mostly read non fiction or high fantasy for myself.

@granfire, Brent Weeks is great. Didnā€™t he write a series where magic was color based?
The lightbringer series. The better you are at seeing a color spectrum, the better you are at doing magic, and girls apparently are much better than guys at seeing color.

He also wrote the night angel trilogy. The first book in that series was one of my favorites when it first came out, the other 2 were worse but still good. Last year he finally published the start of his sequel, and it was horrible. Reads like he let his teenage hormone-filled son write it, both in the level of the writing and the content (at least twice a chapter the main character will be ogling/discussing someone's breasts). I gave up halfway through, and for me that's saying something.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The lightbringer series. The better you are at seeing a color spectrum, the better you are at doing magic, and girls apparently are much better than guys at seeing color.

He also wrote the night angel trilogy. The first book in that series was one of my favorites when it first came out, the other 2 were worse but still good. Last year he finally published the start of his sequel, and it was horrible. Reads like he let his teenage hormone-filled son write it, both in the level of the writing and the content (at least twice a chapter the main character will be ogling/discussing someone's breasts). I gave up halfway through, and for me that's saying something.
Thatā€™s the one. Itā€™s a shame the books went downhill.

A series I read recently that was good was the Licanius trilogy by James Islington. I actually read his newest book, Will of the Many and enjoyed it, but was disappointed when I went to get the second book and it hasnā€™t been published yet. So I went back to read his first trilogy.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thatā€™s the one. Itā€™s a shame the books went downhill.

A series I read recently that was good was the Licanius trilogy by James Islington. I actually read his newest book, Will of the Many and enjoyed it, but was disappointed when I went to get the second book and it hasnā€™t been published yet. So I went back to read his first trilogy.
If that disappoints you, never read the kingkiller chronicles

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Someone changed a password to an important account..... and told no one..... there was a time I would find out who did it and what they changed it too.... and I did find out who did it.... but I have yet to be told what it was changed too..... so.... I think I will be changing it soon.... and NOT telling them.... that I would never have done before..... but I am rather annoyed today so......I really need access to that account...... I am dead in the water without it....

Other than that...it's a good day

200.gif

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know. I have not come across anything else by him (But I also did not actively search)

Latest Discussions