Last Poster #7

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why the hell would they blindfold you?
It isn't the first place that has done this to me in Thailand. The have a piece of cloth with a hole in it. They lay it over your face so you can't see what's going on. It's weird and a lot more stressful, not being able to see.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't the first place that has done this to me in Thailand. The have a piece of cloth with a hole in it. They lay it over your face so you can't see what's going on. It's weird and a lot more stressful, not being able to see.
That would be a firm "nope" from me. There is no valid medical reason for it, and it wouldn't be happening.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh no... hoping he's okay...
well, he is very sick, has been since last October, and is suffering from some self-inflicted setbacks.
But I think he will turn the corner once we tackled the man-flu issue.
I had a rough night with him fighting his bed in the hospital last night. Thankfully a nice one was delivered this morning.
Thanks for all the good wishes. (I just can't get around the mushroom treatment they give folks. There were a few things I had to ask. Like, what ointment are you using on his rash? I have t say If for a second I would agree with their suspicion I would be burning the house down right now (scabies - micro mites)

Alas.
For now I got to get myself ready to go back.
Fun times

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
well, he is very sick, has been since last October, and is suffering from some self-inflicted setbacks.
But I think he will turn the corner once we tackled the man-flu issue.
I had a rough night with him fighting his bed in the hospital last night. Thankfully a nice one was delivered this morning.
Thanks for all the good wishes. (I just can't get around the mushroom treatment they give folks. There were a few things I had to ask. Like, what ointment are you using on his rash? I have t say If for a second I would agree with their suspicion I would be burning the house down right now (scabies - micro mites)

Alas.
For now I got to get myself ready to go back.
Fun times
I hope all goes well, and they can get things sorted. And I sincerely hope you don't have a scabies issue to deal with on top of medical ones.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Should have listened to Kenny Loggins back in post #6,584....because after yesterday..... I am fed up with the whole thing... retirement is officially now less than 4 years away, I'm done...... and if one more person trys to tell me the corporate side and the state side are a team..... bang! zoom! straight to the moon!

so without further adieu my new attitude for the next 3 years, 11 months 1 week and 5 days

I feel you...

I've got less than 2 years for "full" retirement at 50%. Or I can go anytime I want to pull the pin for a slight reduction (2% per year)...

Yeah, some days that's a lot more tempting than others.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel you...

I've got less than 2 years for "full" retirement at 50%. Or I can go anytime I want to pull the pin for a slight reduction (2% per year)...

We had talked about retiring young and moving to the Caribbean back before my first cancer diagnosis. We talked about it again right before the lockdown, but dropped the idea. Because retiring at that time wasn't acceptable to either of us.

Last April, the hospital admins were being particularly stupid. And we asked ourselves why we were still working. We were debt free, had good retirement accounts, and a good chunk of cash. So we walked in Monday morning, cleaned out our locker, went to the bosses office, said "we're done" and handed her our badges.

Next month will be a year, and I wholeheartedly endorse retirement. It's wonderful.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I feel you...

I'm at or a little past 50%, but I am building up the sick time to cover insurance when I retire. I should be at 60% in 3 years, 11 months, 1 week and 5 days...... but whose counting

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm at or a little past 50%, but I am building up the sick time to cover insurance when I retire. I should be at 60% in 3 years, 11 months, 1 week and 5 days...... but whose counting
No medical after retirement... so... yeah. Add to that a youngster... so "retirement" means job change not "sit around and play with cars and dive gear" like someone who probably deserves a good shunning... ;)

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We had talked about retiring young and moving to the Caribbean back before my first cancer diagnosis. We talked about it again right before the lockdown, but dropped the idea. Because retiring at that time wasn't acceptable to either of us.

Last April, the hospital admins were being particularly stupid. And we asked ourselves why we were still working. We were debt free, had good retirement accounts, and a good chunk of cash. So we walked in Monday morning, cleaned out our locker, went to the bosses office, said "we're done" and handed her our badges.

Next month will be a year, and I wholeheartedly endorse retirement. It's wonderful.
How is the cost of living in the Caribbean?

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How is the cost of living in the Caribbean?
Depends on exactly where; it's a big area. But the areas that interest us are lower than average for the US. The areas that are big vacation destinations can be pricey. On the other hand, there are places like Cozumel.

It's a dive paradise with some of the worlds best reef diving off the southwest coast. The east coast is advanced diving, but there are gorgeous pristine reefs with the remains of 17th and 18th c. wrecks to be discovered; I've seen cannon (and balls) from 17th c. privateers. Off the northern and southern ends of the island there are some excellent places for deep technical dives. There are some really good caves to dive on the island, but only a few. That's ok, because a 12 mile ferry ride gets you on the mainland, and the hundreds of cenotes that comprise some of the best cave diving sites in the world. Other than diving and laying on the beach, there's not a whole lot on Cozumel.

You can rent a 2 bedroom condo for less than $1000 a month, including housekeeping services. Dinner for two at a nice restaurant is $60-70. Grab lunch for two for $15.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Depends on exactly where; it's a big area. But the areas that interest us are lower than average for the US. The areas that are big vacation destinations can be pricey. On the other hand, there are places like Cozumel.

It's a dive paradise with some of the worlds best reef diving off the southwest coast. The east coast is advanced diving, but there are gorgeous pristine reefs with the remains of 17th and 18th c. wrecks to be discovered; I've seen cannon (and balls) from 17th c. privateers. Off the northern and southern ends of the island there are some excellent places for deep technical dives. There are some really good caves to dive on the island, but only a few. That's ok, because a 12 mile ferry ride gets you on the mainland, and the hundreds of cenotes that comprise some of the best cave diving sites in the world. Other than diving and laying on the beach, there's not a whole lot on Cozumel.

You can rent a 2 bedroom condo for less than $1000 a month, including housekeeping services. Dinner for two at a nice restaurant is $60-70. Grab lunch for two for $15.

But is it bacon free?

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I suspect Thailand is to far across the world for you, but definitely beautiful beaches, great diving. A 2 bedroom condo is probably $300 a month, a nice dinner out is probably $20 for two. Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines are also nice and affordable. Not as nice as Thailand, but nice.

It's just too far away for most people from the US.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But is it bacon free?
Hell no! It's bacon enhanced!
I suspect Thailand is to far across the world for you, but definitely beautiful beaches, great diving. A 2 bedroom condo is probably $300 a month, a nice dinner out is probably $20 for two. Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines are also nice and affordable. Not as nice as Thailand, but nice.

It's just too far away for most people from the US.
There's more to it than cost. The reason we never moved was medical care. I've been diagnosed with 3 different cancers, one of which is quite rare (2000 cases per year, world wide). Other than that, the far east is a fine option.

We also have a large family, and it's a lot easier to deal with a 3-4 hour flight to go visit than 19.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope all goes well, and they can get things sorted. And I sincerely hope you don't have a scabies issue to deal with on top of medical ones.
yeah, I'd be burning the house down by now.
Thanks for the good wishes.
we have gotten some good news since, but it's still a steep climb

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I simply don't get it....purchase a ticket for a flight...they change the flight..... If I go to a car dealership and by a red Jeep Wrangler and they change it to a Blue Jeep Patriot..... that's not OK.... but with airlines these days it seems to be SOP
Yeah, I don't understand why they aren't required to offer a refund with any significant change of a purchased flight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here ya go! Even more reason to come to Australia! We're a progressive bunch, always on the move, welcoming to new things! Come have fun!

Did you really need another terrifyingly large spider? I mean, really...

Latest Discussions