Last Poster #7

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pork is OK...Bacon is evil.... besides...even when I was mostly vegetarian...all bets were ff with good (real) Chinese food. I don't eat beef at all anymore, but put me in Chinatown with beef Cháng fěn in front of me and I'll eat it. And before @Dirty Dog chimes in pushing bacon..... bacon is not part of ANY REAL Chinese dish I know of.... so no...I don't eat bacon in Chinese food either
Just think how much better it would be... bacon wrapped sushi!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This made me chuckle

8daf95561c164a696952c00cac8c0cf9.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It would be so much worse, and that is hard to do...I won't eat raw fish either....and for the record...sushi is Japanese not Chinese, And you won't find Sushi in the Chinese restaurants I'm talking about
Sushi is definitely not Japanese, the way we make it in rural, South King County, WA. I think it's kind of a Japanese, Mexican, rural American fusion. Pretty tasty, though. :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm picturing deep-fried taco sushi.
You know... you're not too far off. Some of it is more traditional: basically, nigiri fish and rice. Some rolls are also more like what you'll see in most sushi restaurants. But then you have a whole range of rolls that are include fried elements, or where the entire roll is fried. And then spicy sauces, liberal use of jalapenos and other peppers, some of it is torched. It's delicious, but this is why I tend to use "sushi" in discussions about language. It makes me giggle to think of someone going in there expecting anything resembling Japanese sushi.

We have another place nearby that's more "traditional." But even they are, I suspect, very Americanized.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be so much worse, and that is hard to do...I won't eat raw fish either....and for the record...sushi is Japanese not Chinese, And you won't find Sushi in the Chinese restaurants I'm talking about
Bacon wrapped Sesame Chicken! Steamed bacon dumplings! Bacon in your combo Fried Rice! Szechuan bacon!

It was 57F yesterday. Today there's 5" of snow on the ground and still falling. and 19F.

Being retired means we can stay indoors where it's warm. :)

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is a chimichanga if not a deep fried, mexican sushi roll?
One of the non-diving things I have learned from spending so much time diving in Mexico is that the taco, as it exists in America, doesn't exist in Mexico. In Mexico, a taco is a small burrito.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bacon wrapped Sesame Chicken! Steamed bacon dumplings! Bacon in your combo Fried Rice! Szechuan bacon!

It was 57F yesterday. Today there's 5" of snow on the ground and still falling. and 19F.

Being retired means we can stay indoors where it's warm. :)

You are such a Guǐ lǎo (Gweilo). All of those are Americanized versions of Chinese food.....except of course the combo rice thing...that is as American as Chop Suey and Fortune cookies...... you won't find bacon wrapped sesame chicken, steamed bacon dumplings, bacon in your combo fried rice, or Szechuan bacon in Chinatown or China.....

And it is WAAAAAAY to hot here for February, it is 59F

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with social media, except martial talk, and youtube. Literally everyone ghost me, even my pastor. I'm starting to think I have a sign on my back that says "ghost me it's fun" I laugh about it to all my friends, but deep down it hurts. I never do anything bad to no one and I treat everyone with respect yet I get disrespect like this all the time. I'll admit I'm a bit of a geek, but I try my hardest to live by the golden rule and only put out positive energy into the world. Reddit sucks, chat rooms are mostly dead even if you can find them. The only communities online where I've found acceptance are martial talk and youtube. I probably shouldn't take this personally, but it happens so much I can't help but notice it. If I showed screen shots to my friends they would be like what the hell? But enough of this rant. I hope you all got in some good stuff today. I'm gonna go get a workout in.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mrs Xue is cooking up a storm these days....she usually doesn't.... or at least hasn't since before our youngest was born..... I have all sorts of authentic Chinese food for lunch today...made by an authentic Chinese person too
I'm glad she's an authentic Chinese person; I'd hate for Ms. Dr. Xue to be an inauthentic Chinese person!

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with social media, except martial talk, and youtube. Literally everyone ghost me, even my pastor. I'm starting to think I have a sign on my back that says "ghost me it's fun" I laugh about it to all my friends, but deep down it hurts. I never do anything bad to no one and I treat everyone with respect yet I get disrespect like this all the time. I'll admit I'm a bit of a geek, but I try my hardest to live by the golden rule and only put out positive energy into the world. Reddit sucks, chat rooms are mostly dead even if you can find them. The only communities online where I've found acceptance are martial talk and youtube. I probably shouldn't take this personally, but it happens so much I can't help but notice it. If I showed screen shots to my friends they would be like what the hell? But enough of this rant. I hope you all got in some good stuff today. I'm gonna go get a workout in.
Reddit is straight-up toxic most of the time. If that kind of casual toxicity gets to you, it really is best to avoid those places. My wife often has the same issue. For some reason, it just doesn't bother me - I enjoy pushing back on them. Which probably says something about me, more than them.