Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
People have been a bit nuts the past 2 days on the road

Yesterday, multiple people cutting people off on major highways. 3 different occasions where the oncoming car was taking its half of the road out of the middle, one person ran a stop sign, where I did not have a stop sign, and then proceeded to beep at me. Similar thing at a stop light too. And lastly, a long line of traffic, I had to change lanes, had 4 car lengths of room between the truck I was pulling in front of and 2 car lengths away from the car I was behind. The line of traffic hit iits brakes as I changed lanes and the truck (box on the back, cabover, not a semi) began beeping at me incessantly.

Today, driving to work, in moderate traffic going about 35 miles an hour. A guy about 5 car length ahead of me decides to make a u-turn...in traffic (4 lanes of traffic). Does not stop, does not look, just turns. Luckily the cars that he turned on front of noticed, several slammed on their breaks and the closets swerved into oncoming traffic, my side of the road, to avoid hitting him. luckily no accident happened. I was turning into starbucks, watching all this from a distance...apparently that is where he wanted to go, because he pulled in after me..... playing rap music so loud with his base boosters I could feel it in my car...and I could still feel it as I walked across the driveway and opened the door to Starbucks

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Yesterday, multiple people cutting people off on major highways. 3 different occasions where the oncoming car was taking its half of the road out of the middle, one person ran a stop sign, where I did not have a stop sign, and then proceeded to beep at me. Similar thing at a stop light too. And lastly, a long line of traffic, I had to change lanes, had 4 car lengths of room between the truck I was pulling in front of and 2 car lengths away from the car I was behind. The line of traffic hit iits brakes as I changed lanes and the truck (box on the back, cabover, not a semi) began beeping at me incessantly.

Today, driving to work, in moderate traffic going about 35 miles an hour. A guy about 5 car length ahead of me decides to make a u-turn...in traffic (4 lanes of traffic). Does not stop, does not look, just turns. Luckily the cars that he turned on front of noticed, several slammed on their breaks and the closets swerved into oncoming traffic, my side of the road, to avoid hitting him. luckily no accident happened. I was turning into starbucks, watching all this from a distance...apparently that is where he wanted to go, because he pulled in after me..... playing rap music so loud with his base boosters I could feel it in my car...and I could still feel it as I walked across the driveway and opened the door to Starbucks
People behind me get upset with me because I let folks in when they want to change lanes. I don’t stress at all about whether someone is cutting the line or not. Doesn’t bother me at all, but it makes folks behind me really mad sometimes. They start riding my bumper and will eventually pass me, which is fine with me. I let them in too.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
People behind me get upset with me because I let folks in when they want to change lanes. I don’t stress at all about whether someone is cutting the line or not. Doesn’t bother me at all, but it makes folks behind me really mad sometimes. They start riding my bumper and will eventually pass me, which is fine with me. I let them in too.

I do the same, but I was not cutting anyone off....then traffic stopped and I caught the brunt of the truck drives anger

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

time to telecommute again

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
time to telecommute again

Would love to, but between Retirements, Jury Duty and Covid infections...we are down to 2 of us in IT and my 50% work from home schedule just went to 60% in office and I will find out this evening if it is going to 80% or 100% in the office until the Jury duty and Covid stuff is over.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
English is not my native languard. When someone says,

- Have a nice day, or
- Good luck and good bye.

Does he mean, "I don't want to continue this discussion with you any more"?

I don't have warm feeling when people say that. Can any native English speaking person help me to understand this?

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

- Have a nice day, or

I don't have warm feeling when people say that. Can any native English speaking person help me to understand this?

Actually, have a nice day would depend on the situation/conversation. but it does tend to be an end to a conversation.

Good luck and goodbye, also could depend on the situation/conversation. but it does sound a bit more abrupt. Also an end of the conversation.

Both however, in a web forum thread, likely mean they no longer wish to continue the discussion

See my last post in the "forms" thread. I am done wasting my time there on someone I suspect might be a troll

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never used those words. If I don't want to continue a discussion, I just stop posting in that thread.
As has been mentioned a time or two, the way you do things is not necessarily the only way to do them.
Have a nice day. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

- Have a nice day, or

Probably. Those are both ways to try and end a conversation.
I have never used those words. If I don't want to continue a discussion, I just stop posting in that thread.
Another good way to do it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

- Have a nice day, or

Mostly, yes. Especially the second one, is a 'polite' way of telling someone "we're done here". The first is something you typically say when you expect a conversation is ending, but not always you telling the person it's done. So if I think you're about to leave somewhere I could say "have a nice day", but then you change your mind about going out and stay, I'm not saying I want you to leave/I'm done talking to you.

In most debates though, especially on forums like this, it's a way of saying that you're not responding anymore.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the 2nd reads like a flounce.
like in throwing the feather boa over the shoulder and making a brisk turn toward the exit.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mostly, yes. Especially the second one, is a 'polite' way of telling someone "we're done here". The first is something you typically say when you expect a conversation is ending, but not always you telling the person it's done. So if I think you're about to leave somewhere I could say "have a nice day", but then you change your mind about going out and stay, I'm not saying I want you to leave/I'm done talking to you.

In most debates though, especially on forums like this, it's a way of saying that you're not responding anymore.
More impolite ways are also pretty common. For example, calling someone a troll is a pretty impolite(but sadly common) way of saying, “I am not responding anymore.” See it all the time around here from some folks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To discussion in a forum, you say whatever you want to say. You also let others to say whatever that they want to say. There should exist no "I" and "YOU", but the discussion subject.

interner_argue.png

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All my life in NY and I found it to be a challenge at times driving...... My prerogative to give someone a break, but... inevitably I pissed someone off. Fast forward to my new home in Texas.....young whippersnappers are crazy/

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I drive past one of these virtually every week day
Early 60s International Harvester Pickup. It is nowhere near the condition of the one in the picture

61Scout.jpg

For some reason I really like this thing and if it were for sale I'd try and buy it and restore it. But Mrs Xue would absolutely hate it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This weather... come on. We're swinging from sun to rain almost hour by hour at this point. Driving my sinuses crazy.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weather...we have had 3 days of 30s to 40s and rain and today...its sunny and almost 70...... tomorrow...... rain and 50s...it just can't make up its mind what season it is here
Y'all got my Alabama Spring!
We skipped straight to summer!
Mid 80s right now at 4PM, in the shade!

Latest Discussions