Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We're talking the 3lb box of Morton's. I've probably used it for about a hundred meals over the year, usually pretty sparingly, but not always.

I love salt but just thinking about how unnecessary it usually is, and how I'm getting older, it's something easy to stop (unlike smoking meats, which I am addicted to). When you've got a 12 spice rub, salt starts to take a back seat

Something's gotta go. Ba bye Morton's. I'm sure I'll cheat now and then, and it'll be worth it.

Three cheers to better living through chemistry!
Well, whatever rocks your boat. I won’t yuck your yum.

But for me, Salt makes everything taste better. I don’t eat it to excess and don’t have high blood pressure, So I can’t imagine why I’d cut it out.

If we were talking about sugar, I’d be right there with you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We're talking the 3lb box of Morton's. I've probably used it for about a hundred meals over the year, usually pretty sparingly, but not always.

I love salt but just thinking about how unnecessary it usually is, and how I'm getting older, it's something easy to stop (unlike smoking meats, which I am addicted to). When you've got a 12 spice rub, salt starts to take a back seat

Something's gotta go. Ba bye Morton's. I'm sure I'll cheat now and then, and it'll be worth it.

Three cheers to better living through chemistry!
Now that we have that out of the way, tell me more about the smoking of meats. What kind of a rig do you like? Charcoal, wood, pellet?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, whatever rocks your boat. I won’t yuck your yum.

But for me, Salt makes everything taste better. I don’t eat it to excess and don’t have high blood pressure, So I can’t imagine why I’d cut it out.

If we were talking about sugar, I’d be right there with you.
Sugar is evil too. I'm trying to avoid all old man issues right now, at the same time doing a lot of kung fu.

Diet matters. It's all about balance.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to a computer, but it occurred to me that I don't have the original author's permission to post pictures from his book, and not sure what the laws (or his wishes) are regarding that, so won't be updating them publicly. If anyone did want to see them, send me a pm and I'll send the pictures to you.
Fair use stipulates that you can quote small amounts. Exactly what that means is open to debate, but I'd guess that if the book has a couple hundred pictures, and you post 2-3, that would be ok.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have an overpowered pellet smoker.
I do what I can with a kamado grill, charcoal and a few chunks of wood. I’m going to do some experiments with a combi oven this summer. Do some head to head. I’ve heard brisket sous vide is badass.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
feeling blarg today. The temps went from nearly 70 yesterday to barely 44 at mid day. Totally zapped for energy.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
feeling blarg today. The temps went from nearly 70 yesterday to barely 44 at mid day. Totally zapped for energy.

I have a very good friend and gifted artist/animator who made a comic parody of Conan the Barbarian, named Blarg.

I can't ever forget it, he even came up with a theme, complete with a little tune in minor key. "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, the Blarg Song you should know"...I wish I was a fraction that creative.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughter Graduates this Thursday. Jumped on a flight to San Antonio today with my wife and 2 sons. My other daughter is driving down from college. We will have the whole family together again for a few hours atleast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220209-233206_Aim High US Air Force.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-233206_Aim High US Air Force.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 43

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My daughter Graduates this Thursday. Jumped on a flight to San Antonio today with my wife and 2 sons. My other daughter is driving down from college. We will have the whole family together again for a few hours atleast.
Congrats, I'll never forget basic training! Are they still giving the graduates a day to go off base with friends and family?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats, I'll never forget basic training! Are they still giving the graduates a day to go off base with friends and family?
Yeah she gets to leave base around 11 and has to be back at 1800. She leaves at 0200 for her next duty assignment which is in Wichita Falls Tx. Which is pretty cool she will be about 2 hours away from my other daughter so on weekends they could hang out some.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
congrats!
and safe travels!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Enjoying some time on the riverwalk while we can. Traveling took it out of her so shes sleeping now
I don't think anybody does. A surefire way to sift out imposters!
Its funny shes been able to call home a few times while she is there. And the ever since the first week shes said she liked bootcamp. Im like ok weirdo. But the military does just fit her personality she likes having discipline and structure.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah she gets to leave base around 11 and has to be back at 1800. She leaves at 0200 for her next duty assignment which is in Wichita Falls Tx. Which is pretty cool she will be about 2 hours away from my other daughter so on weekends they could hang out some.
I lived in Wichita Falls as a kid and spent many summers at my grandparents house in Henrietta. That’s Shepard afb up there. Right?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Enjoying some time on the riverwalk while we can. Traveling took it out of her so shes sleeping now
Its funny shes been able to call home a few times while she is there. And the ever since the first week shes said she liked bootcamp. Im like ok weirdo. But the military does just fit her personality she likes having discipline and structure.
I enjoyed the military immensely, but I don’t think it will surprise anyone who knows me that I don’t care for discipline or structure. Maybe why I only stayed in for four. :)

Latest Discussions